Submitted by sam_job 422d ago | news

New PS4 Details: No Game Streaming To PS VITA While Running Netflix on PS4 and More

Sony President Shuhei Yoshida has just confirmed that Playstation 4 gamers won't be able to stream game on to PS VITA while Netflix is running. (PS4, Shuhei Yoshida, Sony)

Update The source article has been updated with more information (i.e second part of the title) related to Shuhei Yoshida Quote on "PS4 games can't be installed via Disc"

Credit url: gamepur.com
« 1 2 »
Majin-vegeta  +   422d ago | Well said
If my lady wants to watch netflix.She can do it on the PS3 but she ain't going nowhere my PS4 :p.
latincooker214  +   422d ago
WOOOOOOOOW Majin its like that bro RESPECT dude RESPECT +bubble.:)
Bundi  +   422d ago
What??
latincooker214  +   422d ago
ooooook y in the blue hell did i get 8 disagrees for saying RESPECT to Majin. ??? and Bundi what u mean by WHAT did you not read what Majin said. ???
#1.1.2 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(34) | Disagree(28) | Report
SonyWarrior  +   422d ago | Funny
i need a gf/wife first to relate to this
guitarded77  +   422d ago
@ SonyWarrior

Nah... they're expensive. Better not to relate.

Oh topic: Well duh... using remote play requires system resources... watching Netflix requires system resources. Everything you do on the PS4 requires system resources, and gaming is probably the single most system resource hungry feature of the platform.
sonarus  +   422d ago
Why in blue hell do u feel the need to rely on agrees and disagrees to validate your comments and statements.
While streaming games to vita is a nice addition, I am not particularly interested in it since I don't own a vita and don't really have a reason to own one. I used to have a psp that I left on the plane and never bothered to replace. I am not a big fan of handheld gaming mostly watched movies on my psp as entertainment when I travelled but now with iPad handheld is essentially useless to me.
AlaaAlii  +   422d ago
@latincooker When I read your post, at first, I thought there's a thing called "bro respect, dude respect". But then I read your post again, and realized you meant "WOW Majin, it's like that, bro! Respect, dude. Respect. +Bubble". Punctuation man. Punctuation.

Anyways, can't wait for the PS4!
#1.1.6 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(5) | Report
SecondSon  +   422d ago
Luckily I can stream Netflix on to my TV from 3 other devices, my ps3 and my laptop and phone over DLNA (Y)
Muerte2494  +   422d ago
Just for those who didn't read the article. The PS4 demonstration @ Gamescom had no physical(bluray) games installed on the HDD. These were all digital copies. That would explain it only taking 7 seconds to jump into a session. Shuhei confirms that you will not be able to download a physical copy to your HDD. Unless there is some serious pre-order incentive, I'm buying digital. I hardly trade in my games anyway. I also only buy games I don't plan on selling.
SoundGamer  +   422d ago
All Blu-ray discs will have a partial background install to the HDD for quick booting and loading anyway. It's the same thing.
hkgamer  +   422d ago
I think those people having a conversation on twitter were stupid. I thought it was obvious that the games were digital copies.

Mark Cerny also mentioned about installing games whilst playing. This is probably/most likely referring to when you download/install games whilst you play.

One thing I do like to know is if netflix/any other streaming service will be able to remote play onto the vita. anyone know?

Also if physical games will have any mandatory installation?
shadow2797  +   422d ago
Why would you want to remote play Netflix? The quality will be awful and the sound will be compressed. Why wouldn't you just use the Netflix app on the Vita?

All games will install to the HDD and run off of it. There won't be any wait though. It will install the parts you need first, first. Just like when you download the game.
Destrania  +   422d ago
Plus the BD in the PS4 reads 6x faster compared to PS3.
badz149  +   422d ago
@destrania

that would be 3X faster. the PS3 has 2X BD drive.
ABizzel1  +   422d ago
The first accessory I'm buying with my PS4 is a 1TB - 2TB HDD.
nirwanda  +   422d ago
@muerte
It may be quicker from disk if it can pull information from the hdd at the same time as the disk.
Inception  +   422d ago
@Majin-vegeta

I think Bulma can make PS6 in the blink of an eye. So i'm sure she will not mess up with your PS4 :P
Majin-vegeta  +   422d ago
The thing is.I'm no longer tapping Bulma :P.Instead i'm getting back at kakarot for defeating me by tapping his wife ;P.But hey you're right xD.
Darrius Cole  +   422d ago
Vegeta, if you think Chi-Chi is going to give you some then you are smoking some potent dope.

But back to the point. Doesn't Bulma prefer hand-held devices? She is more likely to take your Vita than you PS4.
christian hour  +   422d ago
The best part about this entire article is all the DB jokes that Majin-Vegeta has spun off.

Gamepur need to put their thinking caps on, they got a lot of things that are common knowledge at this point very wrong in their article.

These aren't multi-tasking power PC's, of course you wouldnt be able to do much, if nothing at all, while streaming your game to your Vita. Common sense people :P

Can't believe they thought Cerny was talking about discs back in february :-/
FamilyGuy  +   422d ago
LOL, that's literally expecting the console to run both netflix and a PS4 game at the same time. The answer here was obvious.
Dir_en_grey  +   422d ago
All they need to do is come out with a Netflix app for Vita
IMightBeRetarded  +   422d ago
The vita does have a Netflix app.
badz149  +   422d ago
@Dir_en_grey

lol...where have you been all this time dude?

nah...it's ok. maybe you're not from Netflix supported country like I am. that's why you maybe don't realize the Vita already has Netflix app. I almost forgotten about it too.
#1.5.2 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
ironbran76   422d ago | Spam
cjflora  +   422d ago
This has been my plan as well. The PS3 will become the primary Netflix box and I will use the PS4 to stream my PS4 games to my vita if the tv is in use by someone in the family watching tv.
Akuma2K  +   422d ago
@majin-vegeta

Lmaoooo....to funny....bubble for you.
#1.7 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Sorasixx  +   422d ago
Lol at least you are honest bc she's do whatever on the ps3 and you majin-vegetathe ps4 is all yours to play and watch Netflix I respect you real talk bro :)
#1.8 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
llMurcielagoll  +   422d ago
Haha nice one! xD
truechainz  +   421d ago
yeah idk why anyone expected that to be a thing. Either way with my PS4+Vita and Wii U, the amount of netflix watching, awesome gameplaying, web surfing combinations I will have next year will be almost sickening.
jaredhart  +   422d ago
Not a big deal.
jujubee88  +   422d ago
It would have been deal if VITA didn't display certain stuff from PS4 (via remote play).

This isn't that. The guy basically wanted to use remote-play while still having TV display sh*t. Hence, he stupid. Oh he stupid.
andibandit  +   422d ago
cancelling my preorder

/s
logan_izer10  +   422d ago
Isn't this to be expected? Even a good PC would have hiccups streaming a high quality game to a portable device while watching Netflix
hkgamer  +   422d ago
true. I'm pretty sure when a game is running on PS4 all of its resources would be used on running the game.
jah-Fu   422d ago | Trolling | show
GribbleGrunger  +   422d ago
Are you kidding me?

"Hey Shu, will I be able to stream a game to my Vita while my wife is watching Netflix on the PS4?" No wonder he got a curt 'no' to that stupid question.

He also confirmed that you DO NOT need to install disc games onto the HDD in order to play them. That would have been a far better headline:

"I was using a digital version of games, you cannot install a disk version onto HDD."

So no space taken up on the HDD for disc based games!
#4 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
IcicleTrepan  +   422d ago
no kidding, most modern TVs can handle netflix without an additional device at this point.
bromtown  +   422d ago
My TV is 3 years old at this point and even that has netflix and streaming apps.
pyramidshead  +   422d ago
Awesome.
GribbleGrunger  +   422d ago
I've just checked and Cerny has said you do install discs ... so we are still none the wiser. :) Here's the quote from Cerny:

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming."

To further help the Blu-ray along, the system also has a unit to support zlib decompression -- so developers can confidently compress all of their game data and know the system will decode it on the fly. "As a minimum, our vision is that our games are zlib compressed on media," said Cerny.

From someone on Gaf. I don't know who he is but he uses the royal 'we':

"You can install the game" is confusing wording that should be avoided because the PS4 will always install disc based games to the HDD. There isn't even a user action to take. It will happen automatically in the background as you play. You can't prevent it.

However, like we've said, disc based games will still require the disc be inserted in order to play to prove you still own the game."
#4.3 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Bundi  +   422d ago
I don't think not being able to install games completely is a great thing. On the flip side I don't think not being able to play without installing is great either.

I want best of both, I want the OPTION to install when I want to which I have discovered with the 360 is almost always!

When we discover that the ps4 does allow game installs, I hope you don't shift your "yay, my HDD won't be wasted on game install" stance.
Sometimes it just seems like PS fans love anything and everything Sony does even when it isn't that great. Flip flopping according to what Sony is up to.
"TV TV TV TV TV" BOO!!
Ooh sweet!! Sony's deal with Viacom is amazemabombs!
#4.4 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(18) | Report | Reply
hkgamer  +   422d ago
think 360 with its ability to install full games on the HDD was the best idea. Makes loading games slightly faster and puts less stress on the lens whilst also giving you the option to not install at all.

Xbox One was almost the perfect machine allowing gamers to buy retail copies (for box collectors) and install the whole game and not need the disk anymore. I would have loved the original Xbone if they didn't go back on everything they bloody said.
vigilante_man  +   422d ago
I admit it is a good idea for those who want it but it was wasted on 360 as you were tied to MS disks only, not any laptop sata like PS3 - costing you more.

I still have a PS2 (fat) and have a HDD inside with over 25 top games installed. Once I boot up with a CD/DVD it then only reads from the HDD. So a good idea, I agree.

But remember all consoles have there good and bad points. You gotta take the rough with the smooth. Remember your DVD game disks were a lot smaller than some PS3 Bluray exclusives. And you had no wifi built in the original, and no HD-DVD drive built in.

You are in a minority wanted XB1 to be the same as when it was revealed. It was almost stone cold dead in the water. Common sense (and profit) has prevailed. Just make the most of the features your chosen next gen console WILL have.
BLAKHOODe  +   422d ago
On the Xbox 360, I always installed the games I was currently playing, but after awhile, if I'm no longer playing that game.. I delete the install.

So, my question is: Will I be able to delete the install when I'm done with it?
twinspectre  +   422d ago
i don't want to install blue ray's games on my PS4
Bundi  +   422d ago
I do, I want to preserve my laser by reducing the wear accumulated from repeated use, I'm looking at you PS2!
hkgamer  +   422d ago
agree. but I would like the option like 360 to install the whole disk, even if you do need the disk in the console to play. May improve loading times and also preserve the lens.
badz149  +   422d ago
if the safety of the lasers concern you THAT much, why don't go digital?

oh yeah...then you wouldn't be able to resell them, right? that is 1 thing about digital too.

so, I personally don't prefer disc install myself but I agree options are nice. but you have to remember that BD drive in the PS4 is only 6X, nothing too fast and stretching for hardware IMO.
forcefullpower  +   422d ago
The game will install to the HDD so it wont use the disc. But you need the disc in order to authenticate the game. Unless you buy digital which I pretty much am going to this new gen.

This is done automatically so you don't have to specifically ask it to install like 360 and PS3.
trafalger  +   422d ago
one of the drawbacks is you cannot have games loaded and ready to go unless they are digital. not having to deal with discs would be great. just access the hard drive and away you go.
StevenvEekeren  +   422d ago
Did anyone expect it to be able to??
vigilante_man  +   422d ago
We are all just getting greedy before they are even released. In January we could not of hoped that new consoles would be as powerful as they are.

We now want them to do everything at the same time in 1080p at 120fps!!
Jeff257  +   422d ago
That makes sense. They have stated that when streaming the games to the Vita it is doing all the work. I certainly never would expect to be able to watch Netflix at the same time I was playing a game.

Also he clarifies that disc based games will not be fully installed so that means in able to do remote play of a physical game the disc will have to be in the system. Looks like I will be making the transition to digital only just to have my PS4 library available for remote play.
#6 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
PSnation4  +   422d ago
i need a gf/wife first to relate to this
FITgamer  +   422d ago
Don't do that to yourself.
Majin-vegeta  +   422d ago
How about Pamela Handerson??xD
GrandTheftZamboni  +   422d ago
You mean PALMela?
tarbis  +   422d ago
+ for you sir. XD
cell989  +   422d ago
How about Angelina Hanlie
T2  +   422d ago
Gf yes wife no
Otoshigamisama  +   422d ago
Lol no problem as long as remote-play works great on both system i don't see any problems :)
CocoWolfie  +   422d ago
makes sense i mean i didnt see me playing a game while watching nexflix on the same console coming :p
Sevir  +   422d ago
The game application needs to be running to stream it, so if the the game isn't running, but Netflix is how do you expect to stream to vita? Silly question I think. Shu shouldn't have dignified that with a response.
zoks310  +   422d ago
Well the system is completely occupied with another application, it's not a super computer.
Why is this news?
eezo  +   422d ago
well the title says more details.... there's second details as well....
MasterCornholio  +   422d ago
Well at least hes willing to answer those questions even if they are stupid ones.

Seriously who believed that you can stream PS4s games and run netflix at once or being able to play a retail copy without a disk?

Anyways if you dont want to deal with a disk theres always digital as an option option option option.
hkgamer  +   422d ago
yeah, those guys were idiots to think that they were disk based games.

I am going to have a lot of trouble choosing between digital and disk based for PS4. Maybe I will buy disk games for the japanese games like FF/MGS.
WeAreLegion  +   422d ago
If someone needs to watch Netflix on my TV while I play PS4 games on my Vita, they can just use the PS3, Wii U, or even the TV, itself. This is 2013, people.
patsrule316  +   422d ago
Not that this would sell me on an XB1, as I am getting a PS4 day one, but does anyone know if you will be able to watch Netflix and play a game on the XB1 at the same time? I think you can Skype and play at the same time, but I don't know if other apps would work the same way. Just curious.
PrimeGrime  +   422d ago
My question is why would you need to watch a show/movie while playing game. I am all for multitasking but that seems a bit much.

Anyway. Not sure if you can through the Netflix app like you said but I know you can switch between the browser. So if you can open Netflix in that, then you could watch whatever while playing a game.
#14.1 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
patsrule316  +   422d ago
Personally, I wouldn't want to. I could see using skype while watching tv or netflix, or using the internet while watching tv or netflix, but not gaming. If I am gaming, I am usually focused on the game.

I only asked because this article makes it sound like that is something you can't do on PS4, and I was curious if it was the same on XB1.
PrimeGrime  +   422d ago
Well the Xbox One is all about the switching between stuff and multitasking. So I am pretty sure the PS4 isn't going to necessarily be doing all that.

Which isn't bad just depends on what your needs are. I personally won't use any of that either on the Xbox One myself. All I care about is games mainly and as you said I can't see myself doing all this other stuff while playing a game.

Nothing that has been demonstrated really focuses on that with the PS4, so I can assume it won't be able to.

PS4's focus is the entire sharing aspect and more about jumping right into a gaming session from what I can tell.
#14.2 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
PrimeGrime  +   422d ago
To answer peoples question concerning mandatory installs of all disc based games. Shuhei talked about this a long time ago. The answer is no, you don't have to. He specifically said that you can choose to have the disc install on the HDD or not if you just don't want to or need hard drive space.

Wouldn't make much sense if they forced you to install every game you own on a disc. Would just take up unnecessary amount of space.
#15 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
timmyp53  +   422d ago
Slow news day? So obvious.
MagnusX  +   422d ago
What can the Vita do
kewlkat007  +   422d ago
Don't see why a hardware like the ps4 cannot...oh Sony
wishingW3L  +   422d ago
me neither. Especially when stuff like Netflix will use dedicated chips to reduce power. To me it sounds more like they didn't even thought about this, s maybe in the future with some FW update?
NeutralXP  +   422d ago
lmao oh dear Sony
Rodney25  +   422d ago
Its kinda pointless to stream Netflix on Vita when Vita has a Netflix app.
patsrule316  +   422d ago
I think the person who asked the question wanted it the other way. Watch netflix on the TV and stream the PS4 game to the Vita.
Holeran  +   422d ago
I don't know, i have always liked physical media myself. I still have 200+ original x-box games and 200+ PS3 games.
Aleithian  +   422d ago
Agreed. I wonder if it's just a relic of days gone by though. Maybe I should take advantage of digital.
Holeran  +   422d ago
I get disagrees for saying I like physical media lol.
Are_The_MaDNess  +   422d ago
think im going digital only this gen. better that way. especially when i get a second ps4 for my stepdad or something. (we can both play the same game at the same time.)
+ it loads faster if i trow a 1TB SSHD in there aswell :D faster than the BD drive anyway.
JunioRS101  +   422d ago
My question is... Who didn't expect this?

You're not just giving the Vita your current PS4 game, you're running a PS4 game on PS4 on a vita screen...

Know what else you can't do? Play PS4 games while running Netflix.
assdan  +   422d ago
Who expected you to be able to do that? I feel like xbox fanboys might be trying to make up reasons on why the PS4 is bad now. Next it's going to be something like "Bad news for PS4 gamers, now Sony say you can't upgrade your GPU."
Skate-AK  +   422d ago
It would be nice if we still had the option to install.
Aleithian  +   422d ago
Why, if there's no need?
Skate-AK  +   422d ago
Less wear on the laser. My first PS3 broke cause the Blu Ray drive went out. Also can help with loading times and streaming textures.
Auron  +   422d ago
installs saves the laser life and decreases load times and console noise. why wouldn't there be a need? one of my favorite features about xbox360.
Aleithian  +   422d ago
Good call. Maybe I should transition to digital and stop living in the past.
COBRA93PR  +   422d ago
OTHER AND OTHER COMMENT BY MICROSOFT XBOX ONE FANBOY YOU SO VERRY IGNORANT
kingPoS  +   422d ago
What if you could simlacast the netflix stream from the PS4 to the Vita. As in they both play in sync.
FAT MAN GO BOOM  +   422d ago
That is understandable.... mean it is running a game and streaming it... that is a lot too do...

Can't see why anyone would assume you could do this...
kingPoS  +   422d ago
I may be missing something but I think he meant that you can't install the bluray disc and play without it. Or maybe it's like the ps3 where GOW3 & TLOU are run off the disc while the HDD is doing the legwork.
#29 (Edited 422d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheGrimReaper0011  +   422d ago
Yeah, I thought that
PS4 already plays a game while remote play. It also streams that video and sound to the vita
It would be like you can play two games at the same time
« 1 2 »

Phoenix Down 31.0 – Resident Evil

1m ago - Phoenix Down is hosted by Drew Leachman and Matt Quinn. Each segment focuses on an older game the... | GameCube

Top-down racer BlazeRush coming to PS3, PC next week

6m ago - BlazeRush, a new top-down racer from indie studio Targem Games, hits PlayStation 3 and PC October... | PC

Dreamfall Chapters (PC) Review [Pixel Dynamo]

7m ago - It’s been a long time coming, but is the return to dual worlds of Stark and Arcadia a welcome one... | PC

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

Diary of an NPC - Entry Nine

19m ago - You play the main character in every game - the plot revolves around your every moment in the gam... | PS3