Submitted by Ramon3MR 425d ago | opinion piece

Is Nintendo's Marketing Seriously Lacking or are People Not Getting It?

GotGame: The Wii U has not been doing well. Sales have been dismal, the 3DS and the Wii have both been outselling the next gen console. Developers have either backed out of developing for the console or, like Bethesda, are not considering the Wii U at all. (Wii U)

PopRocks359  +   425d ago
"The Wii U has not been doing well. Sales have been dismal"

In all fairness, since Pikmin cam out it start doing a lot better (not great, but better). But yeah, better marketing from Nintendo would certainly help the situation improve further. They need to distance it away from the Wii as best as they can. Perhaps a Kevin Butler-esque character would suffice?
AfterThought  +   425d ago
It still isn't outselling the PS Vita a handheld. I can't necessarily say its doing a lot better knowing that. Better sure but not by a lot.

Numbers are back down and have been ever since. It was only a short spike with the release of Pikmin 3. That is great and all but how many times have we already seen this with the PS Vita?

PopRocks359  +   425d ago
I don't get what the point of your response is. The Vita had a spike as well recently. And I would assume the Vita has sold more considering it's been out a lot longer than Wii U. As for Wii U's sales increase, I have to wonder what sort of effect Zelda and Mario will have. Not to mention Mario Kart come spring of next year.

Also, do you have a link to the figure saying sales are down again? I've heard that the sales spike affected Japan and America and read a report suggesting that Gamestop actually sold out of the game.

'Just saying its going to take more than this and lot more time before these systems are doing "A lot better".'

Unneeded cynicism if you ask me. Going from around a dozen thousand units sold to ten times that sounds a lot better to me. And it should only get better from here considering that the Wii U has some quality releases coming out every month for the rest of the year. Vita I'm not as sure about, but the supporters keep assuring me it's also getting big games, so we'll see.
#1.1.1 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(7) | Report
dredgewalker  +   425d ago
I'm certain the Wii U will have its steady increase of games release for this year and the next. It happened with the 3ds at the start of its launch and look at how successful it is now. Both the Wii U and the Vita aren't going anywhere since the game shortages are slowly being addressed. Sometimes it only takes one great game to make the system soar.
Concertoine  +   424d ago
Why does the fact that the vita is a handheld change anything? The 3ds is outselling everything and its a handheld. The ds is the second best selling system ever, its a handheld. The vita shouldnt be merely outselling the wii u, it should be dominating everything like the 3ds.
GenericNameHere  +   425d ago
"As for Wii U's sales increase, I have to wonder what sort of effect Zelda and Mario will have. Not to mention Mario Kart come spring of next year."

No doubt they'll sell several millions of software, but I doubt it will be enough to compete with the PS4 and Xbone next gen. The Wii U doesn't have the huge backing of casuals anymore. They don't have the much cheaper hardware anymore (only $50 less than the PS4). They're now competing directly, and you know what happened with the GameCube. Weaker hardware for slightly less than the strongest console, consumers still confused and/or don't know the Wii U is a new console, will definitely be missing out on several 3rd-party games due to much weaker hardware (like Kingdom Hearts III), etc.

Unfortunately, I also have no doubt the 3DS will absolutely crush the Vita in sales. Nintendo is still king in the handhelds department. We all thought they'd finally have a losing handheld with the 3DS, but they lowered its price, and are back again to holding the throne. Sony finally dethroned Nintendo in the console business with the Playstation, but they haven't yet conquered the handheld business. Maybe Microsoft will someday?
AfterThought  +   425d ago
Wait, what? I thought we were talking about hardware sales here.

""The Wii U has not been doing well. Sales have been dismal"

In all fairness, since Pikmin cam out it start doing a lot better (not great, but better)"

I know Pikmin 3 is selling well, I didn't say otherwise. I said the the Wii U only got a good spike during the release of Pikmin 3 a small one at that, ever since then the hardware sales are back down to where they have been pretty much previously.

All I am saying is that it will take more time for these devices to recover. Saying its doing "A lot better" is not what the numbers say at all.

If it was doing a lot better we would see a continued increase in hardware sales not just when one game releases then everything is back down again. I mean you said it yourself "(not great, but better)".

Not saying the Vita is in any better shape from a hardware sales point right now either.

So is it doing better? Yes. Is it doing a lot better? No. I mean it has been lingering in the same units sold for a long while now and there aren't isn't any significant increases yet is all I am pointing out. Not saying its doomed to fail or anything, I know the PS Vita and Wii U will be successful enough. I am just saying it isn't happening this year.

I personally don't see the Wii U doing really well until next year when all the games people really wanted for the system in the first place are finally released. That is just guess though, not saying the games between then won't sell some more systems or even sell well themselves but I don't think we will see a true recovery until sometime in 2014.

Same goes for the PS Vita.
#1.3 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Ramon3MR  +   425d ago
I too think they should've gave it a different name so that there was a clear message that this was not the Wii with a new controller add-on.
nyobzoo  +   425d ago
Wii Remote
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii U
Wii Music
Wii Party

yea they should've call it something else
TripC50  +   425d ago
I personally think they should have just called it U...Or HDS (Home Dual Screen) or DSH.
Eyeco  +   425d ago
Yeah or at the very least called it Wii 2, or SNES2 anything but Wii-U
Yep  +   425d ago
Approved, but you're a little bit late to the party on this subject. Nintendo has already started releasing games and marketing them for the Wii U. It's the reason why, so far, Pikmin 3 has been selling well.

Sounds like you guys published this as a last minute before Wii U starts to take off.
#4 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
Jagsrock  +   425d ago
I was at gamestop the other day picking up backbreaker when this guy was buying pikmin 3. As he was getting rung up he started asking the employee about the control scheme and whether you had to use the gamepad. The employee told him it had multiple control schemes. The guy was relieved and said "good cause I don't have a gamepad". Several looks of confusion later and the guy had his mind blown when the employee realized this guy doesn't have a wii u and explained to him that pikmin 3 is not for wii but for wii u. Funniest/saddest thing ive seen in a while.

Personally I don't see why it's so difficult for people to wrap their head around the fact that the wii u is a new console. Like do people really need to see a number to know its new console? I guess Nintendo would have been better of naming it wii 2 because people apparently don't pay attention to the internet and all the information available before they go buy a product.
KwietStorm  +   425d ago
In all fairness to that guy, that E3 conference where the Wii U was revealed, even the most hardcorest of hardcore gamers and industry journalists alike, left there with more questions than they had going in. The way it was presented, it sure did look like the gamepad was an add-on for the Wii. The console itself looks exactly the same, and nobody even knew it was sitting right next to the TV at the showing. I'm not surprised at all if a casual Wii owner, or just the average person would be caught in a situation like the guy at Gamestop, just because of the subpar marketing in question.
sashimi  +   425d ago
Wait what the console was shown right next to the tv? mindblown!!
#5.1.1 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
gamernova  +   425d ago
People are getting smarter and want the most bang for their buck. Why would anyone go for a wii U given the choice for that or a ps4...
PopRocks359  +   425d ago
Because they like Nintendo games over Sony games? That's usually my reason. And I happen to like a lot of Sony games.
gamejediben  +   425d ago
Why choose? Just buy both. OMNI-GAMING FTW!!!
duducus  +   425d ago
There are more games announced for Wii U that I am looking forward to than PS4. Sorry.
philfogg  +   425d ago
It is not just a marketing problem, but the marketing has not helped. Mostly it comes down to not aligning it spec-wise to the alternative systems (thus killing third-party support).
KwietStorm  +   425d ago
Sales numbers notwithstanding, if people "are not getting it," then the marketing is seriously lacking, by default. I thought that was pretty standard consumer business. Now it's one thing if people just don't want or feel a need for the system, but I've been gaming for a long time, and I'm pretty well versed on all things industry related. I can honestly say there almost is no marketing for the Wii U, and it's been that way since the console launched. You can't even blame it on low sales. With everything that's been going on at Nintendo, I don't think they even know HOW to go about advertising it at the moment. The usual suspects, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, will always have their following, but Nintendo has constantly talked about bringing back the people who they lost, and so far it doesn't look like they're fighting hard enough for that to happen.
#8 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
310dodo  +   425d ago
Unfortunately Nintendo has hit a point in gaming where the "gamer" wants something vastly different from what they're offering.

No DVD play, or Blu Ray play is just the tip of terrible console decisions Nintendo has made.

The next Nintendo console needs to be powerful and offer more then Mario games now.
zlpw0ker  +   425d ago
ye,I somewhat agree on what your sayin. like seriously how many versions of zelda,mario,dk can there be before get tired of the same thing.

Nintendo need to fail on this console to see how bad they are doing on newer gen of consoles.its just the same games over and over again since NES days,and people get tired of it,they need to think beyond their limitations of their reach.

And this is why I have not bought any Wii ever,because lack of interesting games,its just the same games.
#9.1 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
mydyingparadiselost  +   425d ago
The last time Nintendo failed on a console it came back with the Wii and to be fair their is a decent amount of stuff on the Wii that's not just the same old thing. But I do agree that N should have beefed up the the specs, 4 gb of ram would have gone a long way instead of just the 2. Maybe not on the same street as PS4 but at least in the neighborhood somewhere.
Felonycarclub8  +   425d ago
Wii-u should be $249, I would buy it in a heartbeat even if right now there is not that many games but for $350 no way. I know Nintendo will be back in shape soon once they release their first party games but I think the price drop will help them a lot right now.
awesomeabe1998  +   424d ago
Wait so you want a system for about 250 dollars that comes with a game which is like 60 dollars? That means you are getting an HD console with a tablet and accessories for about 190 dollars. I bought my Wii for more than that when it came out! 299.99 is reasonable!
Felonycarclub8  +   424d ago
$250 without the game it's a fair price for a console that doesn't even come with a HDD or bluray and i don't consider it a tablet it's just a controller with a screen that its very limited to what it can do compared to a tablet. I think if the wii-u had a HDD and if the controller could do remote play thru wifi it would be perfect.
Kevlar009  +   425d ago
Nintendo didn't think their initial marketing stategy out well. The problem was instead of introducing the console first followed by the gamepad, they introduced the gamepad then followed it with the system.

Nintendo's thinking was "the moment anyone see the gamepad they will think WiiU". It was a smart idea, except for one important problem. People don't think WiiU when they see the gamepad, they think Wii with the gamepad being a new peripheral.

And you can't blame consumers. When every game or peripheral had the word Wii in front of it (Wiimote, WiiFit + Wii Balance Board, Wii Zapper, Wii Sports) the moment people see "Gamepad" and "WiiU" they think "oh, the U stands for the gamepad, meaning the gamepad is a new thing for the Wii"

It's a simple case of association. When we see the word "apple" we think of a red, green, or yellow object with a specific shape and taste. If someone from another country says "here's an apple" we immediately think of our apple. But if their "apple" is a brown box you put toys in the moment we see a brown box we don't think "apple" we think "brown box".

To bring it back to the main subject, the apple Nintendo is showing isn't the apple people naturally expect it to be. I'm probably made it more confusing than it should be, but Nintendo needs to correct the association
#11 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
blackblades  +   425d ago
To be honest I haven't heard anything from nintendo in long time, were they even at gamescom.
Kevlar009  +   425d ago
Yes they were. They had a presentation on how to port games to the WiiU (esecially for Indies, but not just them), as well as some games on floor, but nothing new

Nintendo has nothing to show until next year, probably at the January Direct
THEMIGHTYDOOVDE  +   425d ago
As a Nintendo fan, I have to honestly answer this headline with neither.

But we are talking about the most successful gaming hardware/software developer of all time here, so im sure the message will come across load and clear once Nintendo start dropping their big hitters.
level 360  +   425d ago
One word - Expensive
awesomeabe1998  +   424d ago
One word - Cheap

Its 350 dollars for the console, tablet, game and accessories so you are basically getting a console for about 280 dollars since the game is like 60 and accessories.
LOL_WUT  +   424d ago
Compare its features and capabilities to the other two consoles releasing soon, X1 and the PS4 and yea it is expensive for the few things it does. ;)
awesomeabe1998  +   424d ago
@LOL_WUT

Actually lets think about it.

WII U:

Wii U has MiiVerse and is the only console that has free to play online. It has the video calling feature. The internet browser is sick! The multitasking is pretty good. The 1st party games are great!!! Not many 3rd party games but most main 3rd party games are playable. All types of games from FPS to RTS The motion controls. Backward compatibility. You can use whatever control scheme you want on most games. Great graphics. Easy to pick up and use and simple. Allows a different and better experience playing games with the gamepad. Touch screen tablet. Built in Mic.

PS4:

More horsepower than Wii U. Dualshock 4 controller with tiny touch pad (NO NECESSARY USE YET). PSN a great online service yet $6 a month to play online. Share achievments and gameplay. Great Indie games. Great 3rd party support. Bad 1st party support compared to Wii U. Most games are FPS, and Sports, and few RPG's. No Backwards Compatibility.

XB1:

Same as above except for the controller and PSN. XBOX Live is a great online service yet is about $5 a month to play online. Controller is similar to XB360 controller. You can stream gameplay and also share achievements. Comes with Kinect 2.0 (The first Kinect was not so good).

Wii U - $350: System, Tablet, 32GB HDD, comes with Nintendoland and Accessories.

PS4 - $400: System, Controller and 320GB HDD.

XB1 - $500: System, Controller, Kinect 2.0 and 320GB HDD.

YUP JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!
Conker2010  +   425d ago
Well if u pay 350$ then you´re not shopping around!

I payed 299€ for my Wii U und the Zombi U Limited was on offer here for 245€! I think the marketing is imporving and there are already good games on the system..

Pikmin3, Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, Trine 2 ,Earthbound (wasnt even relaesed in Europe orginally!)Zombi U.

Ads are starting to appear here but a price drop would help but at Xmas with 3d Mario World and Donkey Kong the Wii U will start selling
Conker2010  +   425d ago
But in 2014 after Mario Kart it will fly off the shelves how many times did it sell for the Wii? I think 33 MILLION times!
#16 (Edited 425d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
quantae06  +   424d ago
Agreed! Mario Kart 8 looks good! The last Mario Kart game sold 20 million plus on the Wii version. I expect a huge sell numbers this time around too, with a much better looking Mario Kart game.
#16.1 (Edited 424d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Thepcz  +   424d ago
how do you market a console with no games ?
AKR  +   424d ago
...At this point in time, all I can say is that it all boils down to the point where I must conclude that people are just..well..stupid. Not stupid as in all out retard - but stupid as in the fact that they are unobservant and don't pay much attention to things around them, and don't bother to do research (and it's not like they have to read an entire textbook, just type Wii U in Google and you'll find Nintendo's main website showcasing the thing as well as Wikipedia giving you the entire back-story).

Aside from popular belief - they HAVE been marketing the system:

- They decorated the 'L' Train in Chicago with a 'New Super Luigi U' decal.

- They've had a plethora of tours.

- They've recently rolled out new commercials for Pikmin 3.

- They partnered up with Best Buy to bring their E3 titles to the public.

- They sponsored T.V coverage of the 'Tour de France' with Wii U.

- They sent out an email to all current original-Wii owners, telling them about the system and why they should upgrade.

- They did a similar thing with handing out flyers showing the difference between the two systems.

- They have kiosks in key public places set-up to allow people to play the system (I saw one in a major airport in Panama)

....If that's not marketing, I don't know what is.

Aside from that:

- The cases are two completely different colors.

- The consoles may look similar, but my goodness, the packaging for each is completely different. (What console peripheral that isn't named the 'Wii Balance Board' or a 'Guitar Hero' set needs such a big box if it's just a controller?!)

...So seriously; at this point - I can't see the "the names are too similar" or "they haven't been marketing it" excuses being valid anymore. People are just plain ignorant. Besides - a lot of major titles are coming out every month until the end of this year. With games like:

- Wind Waker HD
- Sonic Lost World
- Mario & Sonic @ the Sochi Olympic Winter Games 2014
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Super Mario 3D World

..coming out - you REALLY don't think they'll jump on that and start rolling out commercials and promotional events?
Fanboyssuck27  +   424d ago
Well said
HalfNerdHalfAmazing  +   424d ago
Nintendo f*** up when they decided to call it Wii U it sound fun to say but it also sound stupid and confusing I still love u Nintendo.
CaptainN  +   424d ago
The simple answer is both !

Phantasy Star Nova Official Japanese Website Relaunched

7m ago - The official Japanese website for Phantasy Star Nova has been relaunched today with new details o... | PS Vita

Pre-Order Halo: Master Chief Collection at Dell and Get a $25 Gift Card

35m ago - If you want Halo: Master Chief Collection and have another gaming purchase planned for the holida... | Xbox One

Sunset Overdrive, One Console Future, HD Remakes - GameRevolution Radio 0119

35m ago - Panel: Nick_Tan, Daniel_Bischoff, Alex_Osborn Talking Points: Games - Sunset Overdrive, Pokém... | PC

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet Descends Upon Mac and Linux

35m ago - "Shadow Planet Productions is delighted to announce the release of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet... | Industry

Get a Free Kindle Fire HD!

Now - Check out details here! | Promoted post

OBEY - Multiplayer with Cute Bunnies and a Giant Robot

35m ago - Marcus Estrada writes: "Bunnies are adorable little creatures. Maybe its their utter cuteness tha... | PC