Submitted by Lavalamp 393d ago | news

Yoshida wants to keep a 'steady flow' of post-launch PS4 games

Polygon: "The consoles must be supported by steady releases in the months following their launch.

It's an issue suffered by recent devices that third-party studios have been slow to adopt, namely the PlayStation Vita and Wii U, which are only now starting to recover to varying degrees. If either of the next-gen consoles launching later this year suffer the same draught, it would be disastrous for their future prospects — but Sony Worldwide Studios president is confident that won't be the case for PS4 thanks to the console and company's developer-friendly approach." (PS4, Shuhei Yoshida)

OlgerO  +   393d ago
Thats what sony has always done for the last years, and that is one of the many reasons why I will be getting the PS4!
ZodTheRipper  +   393d ago
There are so many big and good games coming out this holiday season, they wouldn't be smart to pack everything into the launch-lineup. They'll probably announce a lot of games from the really big first party studios before the PS4 launch which will be released all throughout 2014 & 2015.
#1.1 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
gaffyh  +   393d ago
Early PS3 years were a little painful, but it did make me love Resistance way more. Good to see they have learned from that mistake
ZodTheRipper  +   393d ago
^Yes it was due to the complex cell architecture, developers needed very long to get used to the hardware. Fortunately, Sony learned from that mistake and is being praised for their new approach now so I'm expecting shorter development times and higher quality from first and third party studios with PS4 =)
trafalger  +   393d ago
it wasnt until mgs4 came out that the ps3 started to shine.

article,
"if we talk about some new Naughty Dog game that's coming, and show some teaser movie or something, people might like it —but that might not be the best presentation of the game they're actually developing for PS4."

i take that as learning from the ps3 launch where they showed cgi video for games like killzone and gran turismo so early only to have those games delayed. we also seen agent come and go and the last guardian m.i.a. it does look like sony is way more focused going forward. easier hardware for developers and working closely with indie developers will make sure they have a steady flow of software.

article,
"It's a luxury for us not to announce these games we have in development, that we do not feel the need to do that to support the launch of PS4."

this almost sounds like a dig at nintendo who are kind of floundering trying to get games out and using nintendo direct to show that games are coming.
Pintheshadows  +   392d ago
I tell you what, the PSN store next gen is going to be exciting. There will be something new and excellent almost constantly.
cleft5  +   393d ago
Yeah it definitely seems like Sony is well prepared to keep up their momentum with 1st and 2nd party efforts.
bumnut  +   393d ago
Are you for real? PS2 & PS3 both suffered from a lack of games after launch.

Hopefully PS4 will be different
#1.3 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
1lawrence  +   393d ago
both 360 n ps3 had bad launch 2007 had uncharted hevenly sword motor storm ratchet n clank foklore etc then 2008 was the year of metal gear 4 its just cool to say ps3 has no games but myth xbox 360 2011-? gears............
#1.3.1 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report
ZHZ90  +   393d ago
That's not true, PS2 had many many MANY games. As for PS3, starting from 2008 it had many many MANY games.
bumnut  +   392d ago
I didn't even mention 360, no need to bring that up. It did also have a poor choice of games though.

I had a PS2 from launch and the choice of games was poor, the best game was Timesplitters.

As for PS3, it was poor for a while after launch.

You guys act like I just called you mum a slag (or mom a slut if you are American).
iamnsuperman  +   393d ago
I think this is the smart move. Since mid tier games have officially died indies can fill that role of gap fillers but at a lower cost making these bigger hits more affordable and making the $60 priced games less of an issue for consumers (still an issue though). Third parties also fill certain gaps of the years. It is better not to bunch the exclusives but slowly release them throughout the year
#2 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Hufandpuf  +   393d ago
"Since mid tier games have officially died indies can fill that role of gap fillers but at a lower cost making these bigger hits more affordable and making the $60 priced games less of an issue for consumers"

So very true +bubs for intelligence.
#2.1 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
staticdash22  +   393d ago
Very true. It's something that Mark Cerny also commented on, which tie into the rising cost of developing AAA games. There has to be a cheaper, but also great quality option that fills the middle void of the gaming market. That's takes some pressure off the first party developers and in conjunction with better developmental hardware for next gen, development cycles don't reach to long, and less expensive when they don't have to pump in outside resources.
#2.2 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MasterCornholio  +   393d ago
Wow i never thought about it that way before.

Indies are essential to the PS4s success despite fanboys calling it the 399€ Indie box.
christrules0041  +   392d ago
What can I say? Karma's a b!tch
pyramidshead  +   393d ago
With people already having enough to hook into pre-ordering it there's certainly no rush, drip feed us those true next gen treats, Yoshida, as we already have plenty.

No need to over indulge at launch to over compensate as it clearly doesn't need to.
#3 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
LarVanian  +   393d ago
Infamous releasing in February seems to be an example of this steady flow. It would be awesome if Sony managed to bring out an exclusive every one or two months! I can just imagine the fall 2014 line-up consisting of The Order, Naughty Dog's new game, Media Molecule's new game and even Santa Monica's new game! I hope Shadow of the Beast and Everyone's gone to the Rapture make 2014 too!

Off-topic: The people commenting in the Polygon section seem to have no idea what they're talking about lol.
TheOneEyedHound  +   393d ago
Everybody has gone to the Rapture might be at launch. Check out Wikapedia for some reason nobody has mention it. Anyways everybody has gone to the rapture might be a good indie, check out Dear Esther on youtube thats what they are going for but with great interaction.
#4.1 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
xxBiG_BoSSxx  +   393d ago
I don't think releasing that many games next fall is a good idea. That's not really spacing them out.

I'd rather they spread them out over a longer period. That way, the Sony exclusives don't compete with each other, and each game can get the attention it deserves.
LarVanian  +   393d ago
I was thinking each of the games could come out during separate months.
The Order: 1886 - September
Media Molecule - October
Naughty Dog - November
Santa Monica - December

If Sony gave it some thought, they could easily provide each game with efficient advertising without letting them overshadow each other. However if this was not to come to fruition, then as you were saying, it would probably be best to spread them out and maybe release a couple of exclusives post Christmas.

@ TheOneEyedHoud

I've got a stupid question, but is EHGTTR an indie or will it be a full-blown retail release? I've heard it has a big open world after all.
#4.2.1 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Pintheshadows  +   392d ago
LarVanian, I like your enthusiasm but even with all their developers I worry that they may blow Sony's load too quickly. One exclusive every 2 months would be adequate and i'd like to see them releasing big titles during the quieter summer months.

Feb/Apr/June/August/October/D ecember. That would be 6 BIG exclusives a year with enough time between each to allow them to breathe.
corvusmd  +   393d ago
Uh....duh!! I know this quote is probably based on something he was asked...but this quote is kinda dumb, of course he does. Then again, maybe this is to combat the criticism of PS3 having greay exclusives upfront like infamous 1, Uncharted, and some Say the first Killzone on PS3 (but I was majorly disappointed by the gameplay myself), then for like 5 years or so having no exclusives worth playing until Last of Us.
ZBlacktt  +   393d ago
Well, that depends on your taste now. As God of War 3 came out, I see no MGS4 in your posts, no Uncharted 2 or 3. No Infamous 2, Killzone 2 and 3.... No MAG, just on and on. No Gran Turismo 5, etc. No Resistance games, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, Journey, Heavenly Sword, Little Big Planet....
#5.1 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
nades_all_night  +   393d ago
"5 years or so having no exclusives worth playing.." That's all I really needed to see.

@ZBlacktt, Well said.
DigitalRaptor  +   393d ago
No exclusives worth playing?

Well aren't we a bold little troll?
ZBlacktt  +   393d ago
Like I've been saying. We can only play one game at a time. No need for 20 AAA titles all at once. I mean I for one will be spending a massive amount of time in that very beautiful world of Assassin's Creed 4. I also want to play Watch Dogs as well.

While many others will be in BF4, Killzone, etc. Then in Feb, iNfamous SS comes out.
Bathyj  +   393d ago
With the possible exception of a lacklustre (by their standards) 2012, Sony has has a steady flow of games since heavenly sword came out.

I don't think they will change this strategy for Ps4
MasterCornholio  +   393d ago
Just dont do a Nintendo with the PS4 and everything will be fine.

P.S Im referring to the amount of support that the Wii U has from developers.
#8 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
sourav93  +   393d ago
Well, with the amount of praises the PS4 has been receiving from developers, I doubt that's gonna happen.
nades_all_night  +   393d ago
The ability of Sony to create/release great games at a steady pace is really unmatched and I expect nothing less but a continuance of that strategy. Yoshida is an awesome dude for playing ball with Polygon and his demeanor and straight-forwardness is something I wish other execs in business would learn from.
#9 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jakmckratos  +   393d ago
SO ANNOUNCE SOME! Besides Infamous and The Order..I'm dying for a reboot of Heavenly Sword,Jak and Daxter or Medievil.
Destrania  +   393d ago
I'm going to be so broke and so happy at the same time lol.
#11 (Edited 393d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Jiggins99  +   393d ago
so true, i think i might have to live on cheap rice and pasta for a while, but so worth it!
ABeastNamedTariq  +   393d ago
I'm glad they aren't blowing their load all at once. I'm freaking HYPED! Can't wait.
Jiggins99  +   393d ago
ubisoft seem to have done exactly that, they have 3 games coming in 2013 and then the division early next year
hazardman  +   393d ago
Good one good one....
DA_SHREDDER  +   393d ago
I just want motorstorm! Wah!!!!
Jamaicangmr  +   393d ago
Yes please because last time i ended up buying def Jam Icons out of desperation.

Destiny Review (South Bend Voice)

4m ago - Is Destiny a complete disaster? Not quite. Single-player's one main redeeming quality is its boss... | Xbox 360

The Great Ace Attorney TGS 2014 stage show

4m ago - The Great Ace Attorney TGS 2014 stage show | 3DS

Sleeping Dogs PS4 Trophies Revealed

6m ago - The trophy list for the upcoming port of Sleeping Dogs for the Playstation 4 has been revealed. T... | PS4

Destiny Review—PS4 | VGS

7m ago - "It’s honestly hard to describe my experience with Destiny. During my initial 12 hours I honestly... | PS4

Celebrate the new TV season with Filmwatch

Now - With the 2014-2015 TV season right around the corner, come join us on Filmwatch as we celebrate and give all you TV lovers something to enjoy! | Promoted post

Destiny Review: Darkness Falls - NerdBite

32m ago - NerdBite: It’s been four enduring years since the last game from Bungie, with the developer leavi... | Xbox 360