Submitted by -Mezzo- 339d ago | article

The Last Guardian is Not As High A Priority As Other Games

Kotaku - The Last Guardian IS in production. Though the game was absent from this year's E3, that's what we've been repeatedly assured of by Sony reps. Well, front man Fumito Ueda, creator of PS2 classics ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, stepped out from behind the curtain to reiterate that fact, but with a little caveat. (PS3, PS4, The Last Guardian)

Enemy  +   339d ago
"[SCE] Japan Studio, which is developing The Last Guardian, is working on many games, like Puppeteer and Knack, to name just the publicly announced ones, and those games are of higher priority right now."

Those games are of much smaller scale and budget. I wouldn't even call them AAA, so of course they have to finish smaller titles before shifting focus to The Last Guardian. I think it's almost clear at this point though that The Last Guardian is now a PS4 game. It would explain the lack of coverage since the first reveal. Everyone's been really vague when asked about where it's gone.
#1 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ABeastNamedTariq  +   339d ago
I agree. I'm banking on a PS4 reveal at TGS.
sinncross  +   339d ago
Those games have a firm release date. TLG does not.

Besides, after playing the new Puppeteer demo... damn... that game is going to be so incredible.
Studio-YaMi  +   339d ago
Puppeteer is anything BUT small,the game looks gorgeous and outstanding.

@Enemy
I know what you meant by that,didn't think it was a negative thing,but I don't see Puppeteer as a small game,it could easily pass as an AAA retail game.

Don't know how much resources Sony put into this new IP,but I can't believe it's small regarding how good it is.
#1.3 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Enemy  +   339d ago
Small games could always look gorgeous and outstanding. Look at Journey (endless GOTY awards), Flower, and a bunch of other indie games. It's in no way a negative thing.

When I say Knack and Puppeteer are small, I meant budget wise. They're easier to develop, hence it's better to finish those up and launch them before getting too absorbed in The Last Guardian and having each title take longer to release. That's just called bad strategy.
no_more_heroes  +   339d ago
*sigh*
KwietStorm  +   339d ago
I'm tired of hearing of this game now.
xReDeMpTiOnx  +   339d ago
How about we wait until TGS then try start calling foul
XboxFun  +   339d ago
Dang, I loved Ico and Shadow, two of my favorite games. I was curious to see what this game was about but judging from what I read it seems people may have to wait for the PS5 before this comes out.

Seriously though, I really am curious as to what this game is about.
#5 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DigitalRaptor  +   339d ago
A kid and his bird-cat thing.

An adventure we will never forget... if we get to experience it.
#5.1 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
r40k213  +   339d ago
Someone clearly needs to rethink their priorities then!
king_george  +   339d ago
This game has so much damn potential. Its just sad that we've gotten very little info on this game. I mean c'mon! Shadow of the Collossus was jaw dropping back on the ps2... just imagine The Last Guardian in full hd glory on the ps4.

*eyes melt*
scott182  +   339d ago
Stupid Sony and their amazing games...
pandehz  +   339d ago
What Im afraid of is the death of the gameplay experiences in the game.

Because the game has been in production for sooo long, some of it that was made years ago may feel stale. The overall feel will be solid because the devs have a solid record but there maybe a stale feel to certain elements which I believe they may have to redo or abolish the project.
#9 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
EXVirtual  +   339d ago
That´s a shame, but at least they´re not rushing it.
It´s the same mindset I have with Kingdom Hearts 3. I´d rather wait till Summer 2015 for the best KH yet then get it summer 2014.
_QQ_  +   339d ago
They could have released this game 2 years ago and it wouldn't be rushing it....
EXVirtual  +   339d ago
Very true. I meant that if they shifted the development to the PS4.
thelaughingwiseman  +   339d ago
Yeah... these past 5 or so years has proven it's not high on their priorities list. But Hey! We still have Knack to look forward too! Am I right?
Studio-YaMi  +   339d ago
I think we're gonna see it at TGS(maybe even with a release date),otherwise .. it would be an awful move on Sony's behalf.
_QQ_  +   339d ago
Sony's one original game on the horizon and its not high priority after how many years now?
#13 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Studio-YaMi  +   339d ago
@lopez_josue
Pardon my haste,didn't catch that :|

*erases comment*
#13.1 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   339d ago
"on the horizon"
do you know what that means?
#13.1.1 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
scott182  +   339d ago
Troll much? One original game wtf

The order appears original
MM's new game appears original
the tons of indies look original
Killzone SF uses new concepts in multiplayer
And rime looks amazingly origional
All are more "on the horizon" than the last guardian.

And with Sony's track record of amazing new original games, I'm sure there wont be a drought any time soon.
#13.2 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Studio-YaMi  +   339d ago
No he means that it's an original game "coming up" next to other games which are sequels or unoriginal(not new to gaming).

@the list you provided
good point
#13.2.1 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
_QQ_  +   339d ago
We know nothing about the order,probably a standard tps or fps,
MM revealed their new game? send me the gameplay footage.
I'm talking about full retail games,LOL @ using trying to use killzone to demonstrate originality.

what does a game drought have to do with anything?
scott182  +   339d ago
Have you even ever played killzone 2 mp, It was very original. We know nothing about the last guardian either and you said it looked original, I said the order "looks" original... see what I did there? MM demoed A game that looked great, we can only assume it will be part of their new game.

All full retail - Indies are just amazing icing on the cake for me.

And notice I said ORIGINAL game drought, meaning Sony never disappoints in that department.
#13.2.3 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
ABeastNamedTariq  +   339d ago
What about The Order? That oozes originality.

And who knows? They're probably shifting development to PS4. But they have to work on their titles with announced release dates first.

EDIT: No need to be sarcastic. I'm talking about the concept, smart guy. Have you seen a game with that type of concept (alternate reality Victorian London w/ werewolves/monsters) in another game? NO, because it's original. Anyway, We'll see at TGS.
#13.3 (Edited 339d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   339d ago
All that gameplay they showed for the Order was sure "oozeing " originality. i know Sony will bust the unique games out eventually with the likes of MM but as of right now TLG is the only one we know about.The fact that it is low priority is also disapointing, i would take TLG over any launch game on both x1 or PS4.
BitbyDeath  +   339d ago
Rime should fill the absence for now
Indo  +   339d ago
The most teased Sony game ever. It be nice to have a rough estimate of its release date, like Fall 2016 just so we know its coming.
thelaughingwiseman  +   339d ago
I bought my PS3 for the promise of KH3, Final Fantasy vs. 13, and The Last Guardian... None of those games have come to fruition. vs 13 is not coming, it turned into 15. The others most likely wont even be in the ps3... It is a huge disservice.
headings76  +   339d ago
Obviously not.
Gamer666  +   339d ago
Sony never lies or misleads gamers.

ALERT! This just in from E3 2019! After 10 years of production, Sony announces a holiday ship date for the Last Guardian on PS5 as a launch title! Sony fans rejoice and buy the console on masse!
Dagobert  +   339d ago
Sucks that Fumito Ueda left Sony for a casual gaming I think it was? I know he's working as a freelancer on this game but I really would like to see him continuing making games like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus even after The Last Guardian. I like his style of making a barren type of world filled with mysteries and a minimal storyline that would probably suck with other games but is amazing in his because you want to know more and just a slight hint of an explanation is found in the next game.

I doubt he'll be making games like that in the future if he's going all casual market.
isarai  +   339d ago
It never was, it's a very niche game made by quite a small team and SCEJ has always been working on other projects along side TLG
medman  +   339d ago
People are still talking about this game? If it ever sees the light of day, I hope it fares better for these folks than Duke Nukem did for fans of that franchise.
sckipt  +   339d ago
As long as its in production i can wait a few year. Hell i waited 10 years for Kingdom hearts 3
Belking  +   339d ago
Vaporware.
Pinkdolphinyfg  +   339d ago
Believe me--i dont want to be "that guy" because i want to play this game just as bad as everybody else does-- but lets be real for a second. For the betterment of the game communtiy and developers alike cancell this game. No developer should take more than 4 years to create a game, no developer and those games are quite rare and for the biggest of the big AAA franchises. Anything past four years your seriously wasting your life really. We first heard of and seen target of the game (called project trico at the time) i believe in 2007 or 2006 and pre-production for that game was probably a year before that so 2005 when Sotc launched so by 2014 this man would have been working on a single game for 9 years!!!! Im sorry but if it takes you that long to execute your idea it just isnt a good idea period. I honestly wish they cancelled this game years ago by that timeframe 2 just as good titles could have been made by the same team. Please stop beating a deadhorse Sony is just throwing money into a blackhole in which they will never see come back again by continuing the development of this game.
isarai  +   339d ago
you should really learn how things work a bit more before you shout such ignorance. First off canceling this game at this point would be the stupidest decision as it would be money spent with no return, in the very least they would release it unfinished(rushed) to at least try to make some of their money back. Second, plenty of games have taken more than 4yrs to make, hell just about every R* game this gen other than GTA IV took over 4 years(RDR took 6) and " biggest of the big AAA franchises" have massive teams behind them, team ICO is only about 23 people, which is VERY small for any team let alone for such an ambitious project. Third SCEJ has far more than just team ICO in their midst and many of former team ICO devs are spread about the place working on several other games(the art team worked on KNACK), and they have been making new games pretty frequently (they helped develop Demon's souls and many of the PSP/PSVita games). And finally it isn't as much of a "blackhole" as you might think, the team is only about 23 people, that ain't much in terms of payroll, and Sony does all their R&D in house and calls in help from other dev studios to help on their other exclusive games so that alone saves them a shitload compared to other types of development processes other studios/publishers use.

Sony does not dive into something unless they plan to finish it. Every game they ever cancel is done so in the extremely early stages of development, if it isn't canceled by then then it gets finished, that's how they've always been.

Nvidia G-Sync Monitor List Coming This Year For Unmatched Gaming Experience

48m ago - GamingWorm Says: Nvidia G-Sync technology monitors which enable gamers to get rid off stutters... | PC

Doom Is Playable On An...ATM

48m ago - I'm pretty sure people are now just running down a checklist of things Doom is not yet running on... | PC

Captain Toad Isn't Too Cute To Kill You

48m ago - Nintendo Treehouse's Daniel Orihuela stops by to show us how Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker takes... | Wii U

Our First Gaming Memories

48m ago - GodisaGeek: "Any serious gamer will tell you that gaming is not just a hobby – it’s a lifestyle.... | Culture

Start Making Games for the PS4

The Forest Preview by The Black Panel

48m ago - The Black Panel writes: Coming from four-person development team Endnight Games, The Forest is a... | PC