Submitted by Tyrus_91 364d ago | opinion piece

Borderlands 2 can help the PS Vita regain third-party confidence

MMGN.com: "Sony’s conference at Gamescom 2013 is done and dusted, and in terms of PlayStation Vita announcements, fans have some awesome hardware price drops and plenty of games to look forward to in the near future. But while there was some great news, there was a notable lack of IP announcements outside of the indie realm, as I previously predicted. Perhaps the one true surprise announcement was that Borderlands 2 is making its way onto the PlayStation Vita. While it’s a port of an existing console game, it’s a ridiculously huge third-party property at that, one that has sold millions, and one that isn’t an indie title. Could Borderlands 2 be the leading example the Vita needs to regain consistent third-party support for the handheld?" (Borderlands 2, PS Vita)

bothebo  +   364d ago
It's called sales/install base idiot. People won't make games for a system they don't think they can make money on. That was in my opinion the point of Gamescom for the Vita. It showed Sony wants to boost the install base and hopefully get more 3rd party support rather than invest immediate first party studios which would cost millions of dollars per game.
#1 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
dcj0524  +   364d ago
Well vita owners have a VERY strong Software hardware attach ratio. I do agree though.
#1.1 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
3-4-5  +   364d ago
Yea I see about 4-6 games I would be and probably another 2-3 I would consider getting, and that is just physical retail.

Vita will be fine and this is a great chance for it to jumpstart the sales.

There is no 3DS vs Vita. They are both good. I love my 3DS, but I'm eventually grabbing a Vita because both offer games you can only play on one and not the other.

Handhelds still have tons of exclusives compared to consoles.
Ult iMate  +   364d ago
@3-4-5
Tretton said at E3 press conference, that Vita's attachment rate is about 10 games.
3-4-5  +   363d ago
That is a good attachment rate. People are supporting the niche titles fairly well, but Vita still needs a few more system sellers.

If they actually make a really good handheld FPS game that plays nearly identical to console games on 360/PS3, they will have a system seller.

If they get another good 3D platformer like Sly Cooper, but even better, it will sell systems.

If Vita get's 2-3 more REALLY GOOD RGPS's, it will help sell systems.

Indie games are cool, but a lot only offer a small amount of gameplay in terms of content. I'm not paying $200 to play quick indie games, so the games are the investment and eventually Vita WILL have the games to get people to initially buy the system.

Vita's day is coming, it just took a while.
sinncross  +   364d ago
There is a lot of ways Sony can get software for the PSV, which can in turn help boost hardware sales.

Their main direction currently is Indies. I kind of hoped for them to improve PS Mobile to get more devs to move their mobile games over. For instance, SE is bringing Chaos Rings... would be nice if they brought over Deus Ex, FF Dimensions and The World Ends with You .

especially with many devs bringing mobile versions of well known IP's, it could be a nice source of software. With software, buyers can come.

but hopefully we will see more. PSV is a nice device, it is too bad it is not doing as well as it could.
wishingW3L  +   364d ago
a port of an old game will do absolutely nothing for the Vita.
GdaTyler  +   364d ago
Says who? Not everybody played Borderlands 2. I didn't and will be picking it up for the Vita provided that it is a good port.
#2.1 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
FlameHawk  +   364d ago
Yup, I haven't played Borderlands 2, but I will be picking it up for my Vita.
GdaTyler  +   364d ago
MizTv  +   364d ago
I did play it on ps3
and I will get it for my vita
Now how about that BioShock vita???
eferreira  +   364d ago
Um I missed out on Borderlands 2 and will be picking this up for the vita.
Protagonist  +   364d ago
wishingW3L@

I haven´t played any of the Borderlands.
#2.4 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
InTheLab  +   364d ago
Currently playing B2 and still getting it for my Vita. I like to travel with it. I hope there's a cross save feature so I can level up the rest of my characters..
ICANPLAYGAMES2  +   363d ago
Agreed, that's what I'll be looking for to decide if I also get the Vita version, because I want to do some grinding when I'm out, and then resume on the telly once I get back home.
Pancit_Canton  +   364d ago
It's called INDIE!!!
showtimefolks  +   364d ago
i thought maybe borderlands 2 on vita should have came with all the dlc to give people a reason to pick it up

Vita with a new p[rice point will move units, now its all matter of games and 2013/2014 is looking good from here till mid 2014
boybato  +   364d ago
Hate to be a pessimist although at this point I want to say that you can't really depend on western devs when it comes to handheld.(xept indies) Sony should be courting Japanese devs for more output when it comes to vita.
#5 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
porkChop  +   364d ago
The problem with Japanese devs is that the majority of them just don't care about localizing their games because they only care about Japanese gamers. It's a shame because they really make some great games, but we don't get as many of them as we should.
ginsunuva  +   364d ago
They do.
Hence all the japan-exclusive vita games.
boybato  +   364d ago
That's why I'd rather Sony, particularly scea, take the initiative so that they could have several japanese only games localize.
GribbleGrunger  +   364d ago
Why can't people just see things for what they are? Why has everything got to be so melodramatic. The Vita will never catch the 3DS but it will be just fine and doesn't need 'saving'. Not quite as exciting though ... eh?
#6 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Shazz  +   364d ago
couldnt agree more dude , kinda like musicians eminem etc selling 10 million albums yet lets say lil wayne selling 4 million it doesnt mean theres not enough room for both to bring enjoyment to people.
InTheLab  +   364d ago
There's no room for Lil Wayne. That s*** is whack. He's the Justin Beiber of hip hop.

Now Kendrick on the other hand...
#6.1.1 (Edited 364d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report
Shazz  +   364d ago
most addicting game i have played on vita so far has been hotline miami but il be all over borderlands 2 when its out , anyone bashing vita clearly hasnt ever played one
C-Thunder  +   364d ago
With this and Killzone Mercenary, shooter fans should be flocking to the thing.
rawshack  +   364d ago
Please please please dont fuck this up
jmac53  +   364d ago
This is great! It will hold me over till the remote play with PS4.
Enigma_2099  +   364d ago
Price cut... watch them fly off the shelves.

And stop cramming PS4 games onto the system.
tiffac008  +   364d ago
Liberation was not a watered down AC. It play exactly like its console brothers. There were some things that was just not properly implemented.

Play Bloodlines on the PSP now that's a watered downed AC.
tubers  +   364d ago
Please Sony, make sure a talented team handles it.

I don't want low quality ports anymore for the system.
bjmartynhak  +   364d ago
Hope so.

Take a look at EA. NFS Most Wanted is one of the best-selling games on the Vita, and even though, NFS Rivals is not coming this time. Maybe because the cross-gen thing let them too busy, or the Vita port was not profitable.

FIFA 15 Vs PES 2015: Hands On Impressions @ GamesCom 2014 - Chet & Jon

11m ago - Hands on impressions of the GamesCom builds of FIFA 15 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2015... how do th... | PS4

EGM Review: Madden NFL 15

11m ago - Much like how Punxsutawney Phil supposedly predicts the coming of spring each Groundhog Day, Madd... | Xbox 360

Playstation Blog: Facing the Challenge in Lords of the Fallen on PS4

17m ago - Playstation Blog: "So begins my first step into the demonic realm of the Fallen God – chief antag... | PS4

Cities Skylines Preview | Nerds on the Rocks

18m ago - Cities Skylines may be the urban town building sim that the gaming world needs. Impressions from... | PC

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

Alienation on PS4: Pure Gameplay

28m ago - Playstation Blog: "On a personal level at least, one of the most pleasing reveals in our Gamescom... | PS4