Submitted by EskimoPress 497d ago | opinion piece

5 Reasons Ghosts is Not Next Gen

Eskimo Press: "It has been a couple of days now since Activision revealed multi-player for their upcoming Call of Duty game. We've had time to sit, discuss, and gather our thoughts on the presentation and we've ultimately come to the conclusion that, for the most part, we are not too impressed. Though the franchise continues to look as fun and exciting as ever, it just isn't a next generation game. Here are five reasons why Call of Duty: Ghosts is still a current gen game." (Call of Duty: Ghosts, PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

SlavisH2  +   497d ago
"Not impressed" THIS COULDN"T BE COD! :P
#1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
vishmarx  +   497d ago
ehh...
if swimmin fishes cant impress you what can
HardcoreGamer21  +   496d ago
I knew it wasn't next gen when i watched the ign video, when they said that it will run at 60 fps on current gen and next gen in the reveal.

Related video
stragomccloud  +   496d ago
@hardcoreamer21
The difference between last gen and current gen isn't as large as you might think. Games like the new Killzone look great; however, what you are seeing is more of a masterful use of smoke and mirrors than raw power.
starchild  +   496d ago
I don't think Killzone Shadow Fall looks all that much better than COD Ghosts. Maybe 10% better. But COD Ghosts is running at twice the frame rate.
_QQ_  +   497d ago
Graphics whores.... nothing about gameplay in this article so if you care about playing games and not watching them pass on this.
#2 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(22) | Report | Reply
stage88  +   497d ago
The gameplay isn't pretty much different though is it?
CaptainPunch  +   497d ago
Why change it now? It's obvious the formula is working.
stage88  +   497d ago
@GamingFeud

From a business point of view I completely agree but as a gamer I think it's wearing extremely thin.
_QQ_  +   496d ago
Its not, i could care less about COD,Its the mindset of graphics=nextgen that bothers me.
#2.1.3 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(0) | Report
Mikeyy  +   496d ago
@gamingfued

No the formula sucks. Spawn get mowed down by dropshot SMG user. Respawn get shot in the back by a shotty 2 seconds later. Respawn get quickscoped collateraled. Rage quit. This is what black ops 2 is. Its just nothing but people abusing mechanics to win every match. Nobody just plays cod anymore.
RememberThe357  +   496d ago
@GamingFeud: I completely agree. I'm a Battlefield guy but I'm not going to sit around and tell COD players what they should like.
VENOMACR  +   497d ago
I think the point the writer was trying to make was that the graphics don't look next gen. Compare those graphics to any other next gen game and they don't even come close.

The writer briefly mentioned the controls, which I guess can mean gameplay (somewhat). I watched the video and the gameplay looks identical. The slide function and lean are kind of cool, but Rainbow Six Vegas allowed you to lean. Ghost Recon Future Soldier lets you slide into cover.

Just didn't look truly next gen. I can watch Battlefield and go WOW. Look at Forza and go WOW. Watched COD reveal and was like "eh." All about preference.
starchild  +   496d ago
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You must be blind or have zero knowledge of graphics tech. I don't even like COD, but the truth is the truth and Ghosts does look pretty good for a next gen game.

I know it's trendy to hate on COD nowadays, but wake up to the reality.
If you watch that video and try to tell me that it looks no better than current gen games or that it doesn't come close to comparing to other next gen games you are simply blind.
HammadTheBeast  +   496d ago
Spawn. Die. All in 7 seconds.

CoD is made for ADHD kids.
iMixMasTer872   496d ago | Spam
HammadTheBeast  +   496d ago
Actually no, back in MW2 I was in the top 400 players, silenced scar was my thing.

Sadly, the game has become trash since then.
BattleTorn  +   496d ago
I know, and now they have professional commentators for pro COD matches.

They sound awfully sports-like except for the fact that their commentating on 15-sec spawn/kill/die repetitions.
PurpHerbison  +   496d ago
When will people realize that graphics are a big part of the equation? Actually, provide me with some games that are all gameplay with minimal graphics.
#2.4 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   496d ago
LOL.TY for the laugh. Graphics certainly have their role but Gameplay,Artstyle,Music/sound are all more important.especially gameplay. Look at Mario galaxy,xenoblade,any of the great wii games, Amazing games,as good if not better than most great 360/ps3 games despite having outdated graphics.
#2.4.1 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Flyingdog670  +   497d ago
Just one question, during the livestream, were they playing on Xbox One or Xbox 360?
logan_izer10  +   497d ago
Not sure if trolling... lol
Flyingdog670  +   497d ago
I'm not cx, Just asking. You know, that fact i have to ask that is kinda sad. So much for a "New Engine".
a7xgemini  +   497d ago
I think this is a great question... I'm pretty sure it was Xbox One, but they never said, and they never showed the controllers of the guys playing. I too would like confirmation on this.
FiLTHY ESKiMO  +   497d ago
Just the fact you have to ask kind of proves this articles point. :)
VENOMACR  +   497d ago
It was on the Xbox 1. 99.9% sure.
FITgamer  +   496d ago
Im 100% sure you are wrong. Unless 360 controllers work on the Xbox One.
Mikeyy  +   496d ago
We've already had confirmation what they demo'd ghosts on.

It was PCs with Xbox 1 specs. And the new Xbox controllers but new features like rumble were disabled.

Why they still cant use working consoles is a concern. We are way to close to launch.
DEEBO  +   497d ago
you know i was thinking the same thing,but why show it on the weaker system? battlefield is not playing around.
iMixMasTer872   496d ago | Spam
JBSleek  +   497d ago
Honestly if this is the case I don't consider many games coming out this year on the next gen consoles to be really "next gen"
MEGAxPAIN   497d ago | Immature | show | Replies(1)
ConwayGritty  +   497d ago
Agreed unless they are AAA put out by Microsoft or Sony themselves they are really just current Gen caught in the middle then just revamped l, reworked, enhanced then **bam! Next Gen babbbbbyyyy! Lol

I'm looking forward to what is going to come but don't get me wrong the next Gen games by ubisoft, ea, dice etc. Look great and I am pumped!
sdozzo  +   497d ago
Yawn. These articles blow. Number one selling game.
creatchee  +   497d ago
I agree with every reason except #3 - the controls. There is a reason that many FPS's mimic COD's control scheme. It's effective, fluid, and familiar. Why change it, or better yet, why even put that on this particular list?

As for everything else, I agree that they need a true next gen engine that addresses these concerns - particularly animation. I can deal with less than pristine visuals if characters move realistically and environments react like they would in real life.
crazyeightz  +   497d ago
Such a dumbass reason, The Controls?

The others I get, but wtf does the author seriously want Activision to do with the controls? It's already sharp. Does the author want IW to change the controls just for the sake of changing?

Oh and wth does the controls have to do with it being next gen or not?
#9 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Johnsonparts23  +   497d ago
seriously. Doesn't make any sense. COD has controls in the bag and that's the one thing they should not change.
josephayal  +   497d ago
not next gen?
Hold your horses folks, cod ghosts is one of the best next gen games

Next gen fish
Next gen dog
global Multiplayer
New maps
1080P Graphics

Finally, I can play COD without playing COD, Give them a chance
ashahab861   497d ago | Spam
KILLNSFUN  +   497d ago
This is why I preordered BF 4 instead of COD for the PS4. At first I thought It was me and I was just being a jaded graphics whore but COD ghost really does seem behind the curve and dated. It hasn't evolved with the rest of the shooter pack and suffers for it. Honestly, it's the name that sells it instead of the tired recycled gameplay. With Battlefield, Killzone, Crysis, Halo, and a myriad of other superior FPS, I'm amazed that COD has the following that it does. Fanaticism is what keeps the franchise going when there are so many better options. Piss on Call of Duty.
Johnsonparts23  +   497d ago
Here's my issue with the article, and the "ghosts doesn't look next-gen" argument. I haven't seen one game coming at launch that looks next gen to me. The car games look ho hum (graphically), games that look great like Ryse, look like they won't be completely playable at those cinematic moments, and games like Battlefield looked good but with every new video I'm less and less impressed. I think we're gonna have to get over this assumption that next gen means 100% improved graphics. I think we've seen that the trend is bigger, more open worlds and a vast array of options. Granted it doesn't look like Ghosts is doing many of those things either, but for the games coming to all platforms this year I'm not expecting to be blown away.
InTheLab  +   497d ago
I thought the looked like mw3 and pretty much all of what was show was meh. Especially the destruction. Destruction in the game is pretty much the equivalent of exploding cars, barrels, and othe static objects. Very scripted and fairly cheesey.

One thing that bothers me is how much this game is borrowing from other, better, games but never gets called out on it. Meanwhile, every other shooter in the world is labeled "like cod".

Brutal melee- Uncharted, killzone, halo reach
Destruction- Battlefield
Dynamic maps- haze, Uncharted
Snap to cover- gears, killzone
Fish AI - Mario 64

Ghosts is an ugly amalgamation of killzone and battlefield
KILLNSFUN  +   496d ago
Ummm.... Haze? I agree with your comments but Haze? I'm a hardcore collector of games but I wouldn't put Haze on my shelves as it would embarrass my other fine pieces of software. Not trolling, just saying.
InTheLab  +   496d ago
lol I understand. The game is actually underrated. Particularly the multiplayer.

Some of the maps are pretty good, one being on a moving carrier. I'm sure it was done prior to that but Haze was the first game I encountered that featured a map that wasn't stationary.

I just found it funny that Haze, a middle of the road game, was doing things like that back in 2007.
Rodent85  +   497d ago
am i the only one around here

who doesn't give a fuck? since i play cod for story
pedroyamato  +   497d ago
1- Same graphics
2- Same physics
3- Same gameplay
4- Same non-dedicated servers
5- Dog.

Not next gen.
buynit  +   496d ago
Its a shame how much money this franchise makes yet acti. Has spent more money on destiny then they have for cod stsrting from when it first launched on the 360..

Acti. Shows no kind of love to this game... dont get me wrong I enjoy thd online more then most ppl here but fvck, these ppl dont do shit to move this franchise forward..
#17 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
sckipt   496d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
GraveLord  +   496d ago
It is next-gen. It's on next-gen consoles, its a next-gen game. Sorry if that disappoints you.

You won't get TRUE next-gen COD until PS3/360 are left behind, so in 3 years if we're lucky.
n4gusername  +   496d ago
Hating on CoD makes you cool like that.
#20 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
quenomamen  +   496d ago
Infinity Ward couldn't make a True next gen game if their lives depended on it, its like asking Carlos Mencia or ( Ned Holden depending on what ID hes carrying ) to come up with his own good jokes. Could happen, but highly unlikely.
Master-H  +   496d ago
Don't care, i'll get it for the ps3 if i decide it's worth it after i try it.
Graphics don't mean shit to me unless they look REALLY bad (WWE games kinda bad), bottom line is if i like the gameplay i will buy it.
#22 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Bonerboy  +   496d ago
One reason -----> It's CoD. The game that is always playing catch-up with the rest of the industry.
Welcome2Die  +   496d ago
Call of Duty needs to die with this current gen.
I want something new out of these new consoles, not the same FPS bullsh*t over and over every year.
The biggest reason this game is not next gen is because its a CoD game.
Benjaminkno  +   496d ago
I don't get it.. wtf does it matter? I'm sure there will be plenty of "next gen" crap coming out.

I think the game looks promising. I wasn't really convinced until I saw the reveal. They've changed so much just from what I've seen. And the four-player co-op looks extremely exciting. I like that the killstreaks are going to be more focused on the ground. Environmental destruction? It looks like they've learned a few things from Battlefield.

I wasn't really that interested in this game, and I'm not a big fan of the series, but I think they've sold me on it, whether it's "next gen" or not. I don't care if it's "pretty"... make it GOOD!!

It's funny that CoD gamers like to dog their own game.
CuddlyREDRUM  +   496d ago
Same thing with Battlefield 4.

Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island Review | Hardcore Gamer

40m ago - Hardcore Gamer: The Forza series is known for being DLC-heavy when it comes to cars, but less so... | Xbox One

Street Tuning Evolution Comes To Kickstarter

1h ago - Street Tuning Evolution, developed by Invictus Games & Street Legal Mods, is a game that “provide... | PC

12 Days of VR Gaming: Day 5 – World of Diving

1h ago - Vertigo Games’ World of Diving launched it’s beta programme in the early part of this year and wa... | PC

Square Heroes Review - "Why Even Try" [NoobFeed]

1h ago - NoobFeed writes: "Projects like Square Heroes pop up left and right. And while these are function... | PC

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

Wii U 8GB console is tempting for casuals and curious alike at £145

2h ago - Dealspwn writes: Act fast and you can order a basic Wii U console (the white 8GB one) for an enti... | Wii U