Are graphics reaching the end of the creative road? will game play once again be the King of the development process? lets pray and see.
Graphics have not peaked. Until there are fields of blades of grass, and individual leaves on trees, all flowing in the wind with proper physics, we have not peaked.
Exactly. We're far from the peak. Some games are still using freaking skyboxes and baked lighting. And 2d plants? Still. No.
When you can fly over Los Santos and destroy buildings with each individual brick having its own particles and physics or when you can tear up trees with each leaf being individually represented with roots and soil reacting like it would IRL, then we have finally reached the end game when we go into holodecks and virtual reality.
In terms of graphics we still have a long way to go but when it comes to Image-Quality then Yes: with NextGen consoles and 2k gaming we are very close to the limits of what the human eye can descern/distinguish (about 90%). In order to reach (and exceed) the remaining extra 10% of IQ we need 4k gaming. Real 4K gaming requires 4K TVs, 4K rendering resolution, 4K textures, 4K normal maps, 4k diffuse maps etc-etc. That means that we need about 5 times the rendering-productivity of a PS4 (or about 13 to 15 TeraFlops)in order to create a fully 4K Digital Interactive World. And them we need another 10-15 TF for the rest of the graphics( so that they won't terribly inbalanced in comparison with the IQ) This is IMO...
N4G is a community of gamers posting and discussing the latest game news. It’s part of NewsBoiler, a network of social news sites covering today’s pop culture.