Submitted by Mariye 371d ago | opinion piece

I can’t resist the Dragon’s Crown Sorceress

From the article, "The Sorceress is one of the most controversial characters in Dragon’s Crown, Atlus and Vanillaware’s forthcoming PS3 and Vita action RPG. Looking at that picture up there of her from the status screen, it’s pretty easy to see why. She’s over the top, completely unnatural and a number of people have spoken out about how her appearance offends them. I have to admit that, initially, I was among the haters. Not the most vocal, saying things like, “I’ll boycott this game!” I was more along the lines of, “I’m totally playing Dragon’s Crown, but will never control a Sorceress.”

Jerrica the Sorceress is now my main “character” as I play Dragon’s Crown on my Vita." (Dragon's Crown, PS Vita, PS3)

j-blaze  +   371d ago
guys, anyone else think the Sorceress character design is bit ridicules?
i'm not talking about sexism or other BS journalists and feminist talk about, i'm a guy, and i love characters designs like Ivy from SoulCalibur, Rachael from RE: Revelations and Japanese chara design in general...but the Sorceress in this game is bit ridicules due to those 2 huge bags she's carrying in front, they don't even look like boobs at all

Edit: lol guys calm down, i didn't say the design was bad, i'm ok with the character, it's just the chest part, it just look rather weird xD
#1 (Edited 371d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
Brucis  +   371d ago
Everybody's ridiculous in this game and that's part of why I like it.
TongkatAli  +   371d ago
Look at Jessica Rabbit and it makes sense. It's genius her character design because it makes the game feel more like a Disney movie.

Even the opening to the game screams Disney.
#1.2 (Edited 371d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
wynams  +   371d ago
If it were just the sorceress I could more easily understand your point, but the fact is ... all females in this game are large chested ... plus it fits in with the rest of the game's over-the-top style.

I'm not buying this game for the big juggs ... the art, the beat-em-up/aRPG fusion and probs the best vita title to date.
j-blaze  +   371d ago
"the art, the beat-em-up/aRPG fusion"

i'm buying the game for the same reason to, also a fan of Vanillaware, Odin Sphere and Muramasa are some of my fav games
TongkatAli  +   371d ago
J blaze just finished Muramasa Kisuke storyline. It's official, Vanillaware is my favorite game company.
coolbeans  +   371d ago
"but the fact is ... all females in this game are large chested"

The rest of your comment is a typical, valid counter I've seen, but I have to correct the quoted part:

Blastoise  +   371d ago
No, I don't.
#1.4 (Edited 371d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Kte  +   371d ago
This is Atlus were talking about lol the creators of Catherine. If you never tried it, play that then you'll understand.
sdozzo  +   371d ago
You're getting murdered but I'm with you. Looks like garbage. I like my girls like skeletons!
kreate  +   371d ago
What about characters like chris redfield. His arm width is the size of his head.

These overly big muscled guys (gears of war) I see on games offends me /s

Seriously games are all different. Dragon crown has its own unique design.
cleft5  +   371d ago
All of the characters designs are ridiculous. Thats the whole point, the developer said the point of the designs of all the characters was to make them stand out. The game is in no way a critic on society. Showing women in revealing and sexy outfits doesn't instantly means it's sexist. Sexism really does exist and it is disgusting to see people throw that word around without any actual understanding what sexism truly means.

Also, if showing off boobs was sexist, than a great deal of female cosplayers would be sexist. Also every stripper, adult model, actress, etc. would be sexist. It takes more than revealing outfits or outright nudity for something to be sexist. If you actually care about this issue and don't just want to parrot what other people say, than do some real research about what constitutes sexism.
#1.8 (Edited 371d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Hicken  +   371d ago
Having played Odin Sphere, you shouldn't be surprised. And there's actually an explanation I don't feel like looking up that has to do with their respective roles in the games.

Edit: I need more girls with smaller boobs, please. More Noel Vermilions for me, thanks.
#1.9 (Edited 371d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
raiden-49  +   371d ago
i wouldnt use Rachael she was not ment to be a long lasting fav for the fans
rlacorne  +   371d ago
Actually, it may be a bit ridicule, but that's the point.

I love how they really went overboard with that character's sex appeal. We've all see THAT picture, where she holds a skeleton against her breast and holds her staff between her legs. This is all intentional. I don't think they ever wanted this game to target prudes and easily offended people. This game has sex, and I salute how they went on with it.

And like someone said, it is not sexist to portray a fictional woman this way. What would be sexist would be to prevent women form playing that game, or to clearly state in a cutscene that you, the player, should look like the sorceress or the guild master (That kind of conan wannabe) if you ever wish to be a succesful human being. Now that would be something to be angry about. As it is, it's just amusing titillation.
fsfsxii  +   370d ago
To end all of your moronic discussions.
The team at Vanillaware stated they made a game they want to play, and here is a game they want to play called "Dragon's Crown" featuring an girl with big breasts. Feminazis, hipsters and journalists flipped their shit when they've seen her (Fuck you Kotaku for making the drawer apologize)
I still think people should really grow up, and stop bitching and crying over a video game.
j-blaze  +   370d ago
fsfsxii if you're replying to me, i'll say this..if you read my comment carefully and get what i said, I WAS NOT OFFENDED BY THE DESIGN NOR WAS BITCHING!! i'm a freaking guy and i love these kind of designs for god's sake, all i was saying is that certain "part" of the character could be designed to look even better
same goes to your comment rlacorne, and everyone who misunderstood my comment above!
HacSawJimThugin  +   371d ago
I love her look...
DEEBO  +   371d ago
i'm sorry to inform you but there are women in the world that are very curvy and voluptuous.and for my taste i like a woman that jiggles and all the right places.the stick model 110 pound women are cool but i'm not into rib cages and bones.
pop-voxuli  +   371d ago
To quote the great Angry Joe
ASS-N-TITTAYS, ASS, ASS-N-TITTAYS, ASS-N-TITTAYS, ASS, ASS-N-TITTAYS!!!
fsfsxii  +   370d ago
One thing is very clear, you're gay.
pop-voxuli  +   370d ago
Gay for ASS-N-TITTAYS!!!!
just-joe  +   371d ago
Why he can't resist him?

Related video
#5 (Edited 371d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
tarbis  +   371d ago
I'm loving it :D
iMixMasTer872   370d ago | Spam
fsfsxii  +   370d ago
Who can resist??
But sorry, i'm going with the Amazon

Sniper Elite III Review | Power on Pub

32m ago - Sniper Elite 3 focuses on gameplay where you try and do plenty of sneaking around and sniping fro... | PC

PSLS On Location: Toyota Onramp 2014- Driving Laguna Seca with the Scion FR-S and Gran Turismo 6

32m ago - Toyota wants folks to fall in love with cars again and is using Gran Turismo 6 to help. | PS3

Audio Interview: Community Manager Alex Jebailey Speaks on Killer Instinct Season 2

1h ago - Earlier this week, Iron Galaxy Community Manager Alex Jebailey spoke to us on our radio program t... | Xbox One

Elite: Dangerous Preview on Oculus Rift DK2

1h ago - The Rift Arcade - Where do we begin when describing Elite: Dangerous? It’s just vast. Humongou... | PC

Study Game Design at DeVry

The 25 best PS4 games

2h ago - The PS4 is one hell of a system, that much is certain. But, seeing as we haven't even reached the... | PS4