Submitted by Prcko 369d ago | video

Ryse Son Of Rome - Behind The Scenes Video Shows Xbox One Exclusive's Development

Microsoft has just debuted a special behind the scenes look at their upcoming Xbox One exclusive title Ryse: Son of Rome. Featuring interviews with the game's director and a look at the motion capture in action, the video offers players a unique perspective on the upcoming third person war epic. Check it out below! (Ryse: Son of Rome, Xbox One)

Attached Video
« 1 2 »
JokesOnYou  +   369d ago | Well said
Wow, just awesome presentation and hard work to make this game a very compelling experience. Damm now that is next gen Ryse looks so freakin sweet, I believe this is the beginning of a great partnership between Microsoft and Crytek.
#1 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(111) | Disagree(63) | Report | Reply
Neoninja  +   369d ago
Agree! Was awesome seeing a little behind the scenes stuff.
Kanzes  +   369d ago
I have come, to RECLAIM ROME FOR MY PEOPLE!! man.. the story is gonna be epic, I've read the visual comic, it was surprisingly good
HammadTheBeast  +   369d ago
Looks pretty cool, nice to see it coming along well.
golding89  +   369d ago
#Xboxwon Day one
AngelicIceDiamond  +   369d ago
This game looks beautiful indeed. I wanna see a different level a swell as gameplay, and hopefully some MP features.

Btw is this game running at 60fps?
inveni0  +   369d ago
Going to merge story and action like I've never seen before?

That's a tall order.

Bring it on.
Major_FitZZ   369d ago | Spam
Autodidactdystopia  +   369d ago
This game looks boss.

Im a pc fanatic and this is currently the only game outside of gta V that has me excited. All the other stuff that the big 2 put out just don't shine like this does.

This game looks fantastic, Im excited.
mikeslemonade  +   368d ago
Y'all are too easily pleased. Just because it's an exclusive you guys have to hold it to high regard.

The only redeeming quality this game has is it's genre and premise. Other then that this game is not even a Top-10 anticipated game for the nextgen.
StanSmith  +   368d ago
@mikeslemonade

"Y'all are too easily pleased. Just because it's an exclusive you guys have to hold it to high regard"

I don't think it's that at all. Sometimes a game with bad graphics/ average gameplay can still win you over with it's plot.

Everyone has their own opinions on what is a bad game. One man's crap is another man's gold.
gaffyh  +   368d ago
I'll admit, this video explained and showed the game off way better than at MS' E3 conference. Graphically it does look great, except for the characters' eyes, they look bad.
mewhy32  +   368d ago
I love this behind the scenes stuff. However, if past experience serves here, this game will be rife with bugs and glitches. Every game that I've played from Crytek has been and there's no reason to think that this one will be any different.
minimur12  +   368d ago
totallly not cheating with cryengine ;)

it's the ONLY engine out there dedicated to graphics
#1.1.12 (Edited 368d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
jollygoodchap8  +   368d ago
Didn't everybody hate Crytek?

Oh! Its an exclusive! Nvmd Can't wait!!! /s
malokevi  +   369d ago
When I first saw this game, I was not impressed... but the more I hear the more excited I get.

seems inevitable that I'll be buying Ryse.
#1.2 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(48) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
JokesOnYou  +   369d ago
For me when I first saw it, I was blown away, then later as I started to watch the E3 vid again and read impressions, I was very disappointed because I thought they had gimped the gameplay and made it all scripted with full QTE's everywhere, I even read (before) that you couldn't die, which was misinformation because the demo was like that. I'm a graphics whore but not at the sacrifice of gameplay, now hearing and seeing that isn't the case, I'm very much excited again. That's not to say the gameplay is anything revolutionary but the balance of gameplay, story, presentation, cinematics, all combined with superb graphics now this IS next gen.
#1.2.1 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(31) | Disagree(28) | Report
Angeljuice  +   368d ago
It does look cool. The faces look a bit cartoon'ish up close (which hopefully will be sorted before launch), but apart from that minor gripe, it looks impressive visually.

Can you still use kinect or has it gone completely?

It does seem odd that they start a game designed around kinect, then drop kinect (even when moving to next gen and new improved kinect).

Did the game get too big (important) for kinect, or is kinect just not suitable for proper games despite the revamp?
BallsEye  +   368d ago
I really wonder how multiplayer works in this game. Loving it so far!
loulou  +   369d ago
day one ... looks better everytime
Crack_Ninjaa   368d ago | Spam
Syntax-Error  +   368d ago
AT E3 I was on the fence. It did look like a QTE type game but as I see more I noticed that QTE's in the game are like finishes and special moves that are no different than what you would find in God of War. Graphically superior to a lot of games on the market and I love developers that focus on the narrative and facial expressions to drive the story. Ninja Theory and Naughty Dog are good with that. This is high on my radar now. Ryse, you now have my attention.
u got owned  +   369d ago
:0 It looks good and its only pre-alpha what was shown. Can't wait to see more.
#1.4 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
PSVita  +   369d ago
As a film major I find this interesting. As a gamer I haven't seen a single reason why this is even being called a game. Where's the GAMEPLAY? We've only seen Quick Time Events yet everyone's excited....that looks cool and all but I need to say what this game is about.
Kanzes  +   369d ago
Watch the vid @3.55, it shows a gameplay without any QTE
PSVita  +   369d ago
Kanzes- thanks for the reply but that unfortunatly not gameplay. It may be running in-game real time or maybe its just a cut scene but either way its not gameply.
cgoodno  +   369d ago
***Watch the vid @3.55, it shows a gameplay without any QTE***

That's a cinematic scene, like most other things in this video that are in-game. The only actual gameplay is about 3:30 and only shows a few second s of it.
#1.5.3 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(9) | Report
gameonbro   368d ago | Spam
The_Infected  +   369d ago
It's looking good for sure. I can't wait until Gamescom to see more of all these games.
zebramocha  +   369d ago
@joke I wouldn't call a partnership as this was 360 at one point and moved to the xbone Juan.
JokesOnYou  +   369d ago
uhm, So what would you call two separate companies coming together to release an exclusive game?
zebramocha  +   369d ago
Business as usually,the relationship between epic and Ms seem more like a partnership then Ms and crytech.
JokesOnYou  +   369d ago
That's why in my original post I said this key phrase "beginning of a great partnership" because you can't continue to have a great partnership if you never start it somewhere, I can only assume if Ryse does well there will be more to come....so I just don't get your logic here. Finally business as usual falls under the multiplatform development for a 3rd party devs like Crytek, exclusives are more rare and again indicate the two have formed at the very least for this one IP a partnership, so on all points your statement is completely flawed.
#1.7.3 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(3) | Report
webeblazing  +   369d ago
the game looks cool. but why theyre saying this is next gen experience when devs have using the mocap technique for the longer is he telling us crytek is late for the party because as cool as it is its still been done
kewlkat007  +   369d ago
Damn that Crytek engine is Fiya..

This reminds me of Lost Odyssey when the game began at the battle ground..

This was a nice video with the motion capture...you know I remember saying the same t hing when I saw that PS3 hanck n slasher that came out early on that console...forgot the name..

It was actually a good game. Dam majority sony fans don't support their exclusives..
#1.9 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
cgoodno  +   369d ago
They should implement more of their facial captures. When he's hitting his shield, his mouth and face make movements on the emphasis of that effort, but they don't come through on the CGI side.

Glad they 're working to improve the cinematic experience. But, I'm still not sold on the gameplay itself. I wish they hadn't 'dumbed down' the gameplay for E3 and had kept it with a more realistic version of the end game that they talked about.
Autodidactdystopia  +   369d ago
Its much harder than you think.

the mocap part.

the reason games like uncharted look so emotional is because they are hand keyed so expressions are (expressioned) lol

with facial mocap and in realtime things get tricky but im sure it can improve. If not by release then later in the console cycle with the inevitable sequel that will come from this sleeper.
cgoodno  +   369d ago
***Its much harder than you think. ***

No, it's just as hard as I think... They have worked on this for years and are working with a mo-cap studio with a ton of experience in this field. It is fully within their capabilities.

That doesn't mean it's easy-peasy, but it's really something they could do. And, it would really bring the character to life when they are focusing so much on his face.
Autodidactdystopia  +   368d ago
Cgoodno. may I say that it is an honor to converse with you in person! :)

On subject of my point.

Yes definitely they CAN improve. I have no doubt that they will before release, but not to the degree that you.. or even "I" expect to be treated to. I totally get where you are coming from but I know from personal FAILED experience that its not so easy as adjusting a multiplier value for difference in xyz axis space en-parabola; in relation to the direct capture from faces to geometry. It is shitty difficult to actually map a parabolic equation given a 2D capture using a webcam light enough to strap on a face and have it move naturally. :)

the only other game that truly destroys this in emotional conveyance is L.A. noire but that is only because they didn't really take the geometric approach but the texture projection approach.

I really in my heart agree with you but on another note I get the difficulty associated. Its a truly nuckinfuts job.

But you are definitely right, not easy peasy but I believe it WILL be done in 3-5 years time. its just the "devs" who need motivation to push themselves to that level.

No worries my friend we are on the same page.

lets hope they with their team can overcome the bullcrap I run into as an "autodidact" gfx dude :)
Angeljuice  +   368d ago
@Cgoodno
The problem isn't with the motion capture, its with the rendering side.

@Autodid......
" the only other game that truly destroys this in emotional conveyance is L.A. noire"
Heavy Rain beats all at emotional conveyance.
slapedurmomsace  +   369d ago
I'm with ya. I'm holding off on buying a next gen system until next March, and I haven't completely decided which system to purchase first, but these darn exclusives that MS is showing look fantastic and right up my ally.
showtimefolks  +   369d ago
JokesOnYou

i sure hope so because to me personally crytek are very over rated, their games are great to look at but boring/dull to play and they have yet to create a game this gen which told a good story
GrownUpGamer   368d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(3)
Crack_Ninjaa   368d ago | Spam
mikeslemonade   368d ago | Spam
PS3PWNSALL  +   368d ago
This is now Day One for me!
Shadowsteal  +   368d ago
Graphically game looks great, would like to see a wider color pallete. Gameplay looks underwhelming to me after being spoiled by God of War and Devil May Cry.
strifeblade  +   368d ago
i do not kow how god of war gameplay spoiled you... i mean you have been doing the same combos for the last 7 games.
RM-TatoTiburon  +   368d ago
DAY ONE!!
RyuCloudStrife  +   368d ago
for once I agree with you.. this is the only Xbox One game I would like to play.
BallsEye  +   368d ago
The facial animations and voice over bring this game alive! It just feels like a movie!
Ashunderfire86  +   368d ago
Ryse was the best looking playable game at E3!!! I played the heck out of it. It was really that good.
Lovable  +   369d ago
MOOOOOCAAAPPPP! Cool stuff.
Convas  +   369d ago
Can't wait to see how they approach multiplayer at GamesCom
Exiled_Samurai   369d ago | Spam
Dee_Cazo  +   368d ago
They told me at E3 that you will have customizable gladiators and face off in THE Coliseum.

I think it might just be waved combat or something but the top part I mentioned is 100% true. Idk how they would handle versus but I would love for them to try.
TRU3_GAM3R  +   369d ago
pre-alpha gameplay" already looks cgi movie to me!.
cgoodno  +   369d ago
It is CGI, or as close as we normally get in games. Meaning, it's in-engine cinematic scenes. Same kind of stuff Uncharted and the like does to enhance up cut scenes. The actual game won't look that nice, but hoping it will look good for first year title of the next gen.

Edit: @below: Anything shown with a timer shown on screen... is mo-cap cinematics that are definitely going to take advantage of hardware resources to "improve" graphics much like Uncharted did during said cinematic process. I also think you are really overblowing the potential of next-gen hardware going right into it.
#4.2 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
Autodidactdystopia  +   369d ago
I do believe that this is game looks. one of the benefits of the new dx11 tech coming to consoles is the ability to use seamless lod's for entities allowing this to be "actually" what is ingame and completely seamlessly scaled depending on distance to camera and pixel residency.

Or in other words no matter where it is it should be possible to keep the detail as needed to fill the pixels that the object or in this case face is resident.

so no more line between in engine scene and ingame. only difference will be the rig carrying the camera off to a cinematic angle.

my feeling on this is that technically speaking there will no longer be a distinction outside of developer decision between "enhanced up" cutscenes and ingame play.

both nextgen systems are MORE than capable of playback of precomputed physics simulations on the order of about a half million r-bodys

facial stuff will really begin to shine when realtime (not faked like current games) sss is at play in faces. like the ps4 demo ... cant remember the name um.. its the old guy and the gremlin.

speaking of that.. that would be an example of a next gen "Enhanced Up" cutscene as there is no geometry behind camera or past fov to the left or right so that all resources can be concentrated on the demo and not to rendering a whole level or even keeping too much resident in memory as this would eat resources that could be applied onscreen

certainly things will get better though no doubt about it :)
ALLWRONG  +   368d ago
Thanks cgoodno for confirming once again where N4G's loyalties are.
slimeybrainboy  +   369d ago
Mo-cap is the way forward! I wish they would make all the button prompts gray or white. The primary colours look outta place.
cgoodno  +   369d ago
Color cues are very important to many people. Especially myself who can only see out of one eye. Color differences help me to be able to more rapidly notice the prompts whereas less noticeable icons can take me longer and result in me missing them.

Now, I do agree an option to choose between color or gray/white prompts would be a great idea (but have color on by default).
Dlacy13g  +   369d ago
I think this game much like the Xbox One is slowing rising from the ashes into something special. Certainly need to see more...but I am impressed by what I have seen so far.
Angeljuice  +   368d ago
If Ryse is like the Xbox one, it'll do a 180 before it launches and become a sci-fi racer.
Walker   369d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(6)
Electric-flamingo   369d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
BigBoss1964  +   369d ago
Is this supposed to be Microsoft's answer to God of War? if so then I am very disappointed
No_Limit  +   369d ago | Funny
What, are you not entertained!?
Kanzes  +   369d ago
well said
drsfinest72  +   369d ago
wait what movie is that from!!??!?
LoveOfTheGame  +   369d ago
Well it was a movie with GLADIATORs I believe. So we just need to think of epic GLADIATOR movies that have great GLADIATOR fights.

Do you get it yet lol.
No_Limit  +   369d ago
Huh, That was a quote from Shark Tale. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding Gladiator. :D
Urusernamesucks  +   368d ago
Drfinest72

Gladiator i belive.
LackaJaKane  +   369d ago
BigBoss1964

Did you see the general jumping twenty feet into the air and doing a 360 swinging chains killing a bunch of skeletons/demons/angles/ghost/ ­Minotaurs etc?
#9.2 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(32) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
BigBoss1964  +   369d ago
Never knew Kratos could jump 20 feet in the air, look I'm not trying to hate it's just that the gameplay looks very dull
tuglu_pati  +   369d ago
@BigBoss1964

"...look I'm not trying to hate "

But you are.
TRU3_GAM3R  +   369d ago
Lol at general jumping part!..
drsfinest72  +   369d ago
man everybody knows kratos could jump more than 20ft lol
Convas  +   369d ago
No, it's MS' answer to MOAR NEW IPs cry.
kenmid  +   369d ago
This is nothing like God of War.
thetruthx1  +   369d ago
After these visuals God of War might want to be like Ryse
Fgfttfgff  +   369d ago
@thetruthx1 I hate to say ascension looks pretty darn close to the visuals in that IMO. But it is pre-alpha
cgoodno  +   369d ago
@thetruthx1: Don't think Sony Santa Monica are really worried about the in-engine cinematic scenes looking better than their GoW graphics, let alone a game that's being made for hardware better than 7th gen hardware.

Not that I think this looks the same as GoW 3 or Ascension. Honestly, two very different games from two different generations. Hopefully both will hold up to the test of time.
#9.4.3 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(5) | Report
theWB27  +   369d ago
A game set in Rome where the main character is human and not fighting Gods or Titans the size of the empire state building without blades that extend from the chains on his arms or who rips apart his opponents with his bare hands or who is in a constant rage or the fact that he's fighting other humans and not the undead or Gods or Titans or Chimera or the Sisters of Fate....yes sounds very unlike God of War to me.

(I know that was a run-on)
Cmk0121  +   369d ago
No god of war is a lot drawn back , this game is supposed to be more intinamte and relateable in combate to arkham games from what they said to a degree. open battle in which you can sway the tides. god of war is more fantasy and one mans war, great game god of war is though
lastofgen  +   369d ago
how in the world does this look anything what god of war plays like?
the devs are taking events from our history and recreating the experience for us to play. And I don't see actual monsters, gods, etc.
illtownNJONE  +   369d ago
who said so.........this was a kinect game 1st
CrimsonStar  +   369d ago
Omg a game taken place in the Roman era THEY COPYIN GOW!!!!!!!!! LOl its a game about a soldier fighting in realistic historic wars , not a shirtless man wrestling 100ft tall monsters with his bare hands .Its nothing like GOW .
dcortz2027  +   369d ago
The God Of War series is great in it's own way as I'm sure Ryse will be too. No need to start a riot around here lol. If Microsoft keep delivering more exclusives like these, then I might have to purchase an Xbox One to go along with my PS4 in the near future. :)
GrownUpGamer  +   368d ago
"Are you not entertained!?"

That line is from here http://www.youtube.com/watc...

lol!
golding89  +   369d ago
This game will be epic. damn
Starbucks_Fan  +   369d ago
Jesus. Really makes me want a Xbox One at launch. If only it was 400 :(

WIll buy this for sure eventually.
AutoCad  +   369d ago
umm that was pretty freakin awesome.
green  +   369d ago
XBox One day one for me with Forza 5, Killer Instinct and now RYSE.
Kanzes  +   369d ago
don't forget the "free-minigames-generator " Project Spark, and of course the main dish is Halo :)
green  +   369d ago
I am not very creative :-(
XboxFun  +   369d ago
Awesome footage from behind the scenes. Always great to see what goes into a game.

X1 is really looking like the console to have for the next gen to come. I'm hoping to see much more that will blow my mind.

Xbox One, Day One!
#14 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
kenmid  +   369d ago
I don't care what console you like, Microsoft, Sony,or Nintendo if you didn't think that motion caption video wasn't impressive your not a true gamer.
Fireseed  +   369d ago
I'm a gamer.... but I'm also an animator so I think we have different perspectives :P
kenmid  +   369d ago
elaborated
Fireseed  +   369d ago | Interesting
Meaning the more mo cap studios the less jobs for me :P
urwifeminder  +   369d ago
This will be good for Crytek and MS looks stunning and nice acting love the look of the command gameplay looks like forza 5 wont be the only title I get asap.
#16 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
tuglu_pati  +   369d ago
This game keep looking better and better. Cant wait to see more at GamesCom.
Bolts  +   369d ago
Looks good but I want to see what real gameplay is like.
Kayant  +   369d ago

This is one exclusive game that I like in the Xbox line-up even though am not getting one you can't deny this game is awesome and beautiful.
PSVita  +   369d ago
None of that was gameplay. Cut scenes, Real Time, QTE, and Gameplay are all different but easily mistaken.
Kayant  +   369d ago
I agree most of the preview was mostly using the in-game engine and if you compare the cut scenes to the small gameplay they showed at 3.38 and all the gameplay we have seen so far then you will see they are all similar yh the cut scenes are nicer but they are close to the actual graphics in game. This is the advantage of next-gen consoles.
cgoodno  +   369d ago
***A lot of that was gameplay and there are many videos online that show that it looks very similar.***

Nope. Every single bit shown in there was in-engine cinematics, except the very small few seconds around 3:30 in the video.
#18.1.3 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(5) | Report
iconic56  +   369d ago
As long as people enjoy animated films, there's no reason why video games cannot be the natural evolution in storytelling that Hollywood's been looking for. The two industries don't have to compete either. By working together they can achieve amazing things and compelling storytelling. In 2000, Dreamworks and Ridley Scott gave us Gladiator with spectacular visual effects and powerful acting. In 2013, Microsoft and Crytek dares to achieve that level of impact, but with the immersive benefit of interactivity that only video games can give us.
illtownNJONE  +   369d ago
forget what people claim xboxone specs are this game looks cgi and its a launch title in pre alpha serious power under the hood day one purchase for me
Mkai28   369d ago | Trolling | show
cgoodno  +   369d ago
Just in case you didn't know, they do look good, but they are in-engine cinematics, not actual gameplay.
Shadonic  +   368d ago
At E3 it had the same level of detail from what i saw.
NeoTribe  +   368d ago
The game does not look that great. Go play god of war ascention and you'll see how these 2 compare graphically very close. Thats a ps3 title. Fan you imagine god of war on ps4?
Shadonic  +   368d ago
GOD of war ascension does look really good but you cant deny that this does look really good. Console perference aside they both look amazing.
NextGenGamer85   369d ago | Spam
pyramidshead  +   369d ago
Love games that are set in certain periods of the past, with the likes of Ass Creed 1&2 and the God of War series. Will keep an eye on this one. Glad they're dropping the hold-your-hand gameplay too.
Supermax  +   369d ago
Awesome!
richierich  +   369d ago
Wow that looked awesome
Loki86  +   369d ago
Hopefully they have the revamped combat system at gamescom, without the button prompts and slowdown. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Loki86  +   369d ago
This was not a negative comment, I just really want to see hardcore mode, especially after the lead producer talked about having to learn the execution system and the four different types of energies you can build up.
#25.1 (Edited 369d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
cgoodno  +   369d ago
I agree 100% with you on this. The 'dumbed down' E3 gameplay turned me off. I want to see the game without their E3 demo changes to speed up combat and make it more QTE oriented.
Martywren  +   369d ago
ORGASMIC!!!
colt-of-tipton  +   369d ago
Really anticipating this ONE .
Lboogieskells  +   369d ago
This is what happens when a Demi god has offspring with a human.

"Ryse" Son of Kratos!
TheKayle1   369d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
Jiggy7d  +   369d ago
Now this does look good....coming from someone who's getting a PS4.
« 1 2 »

4 New official Call of Duty Advanced Warfare screenshots

11m ago - Activision and Sledgehammer Games released 4 new screenshots for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare,... | PC

Test Chamber — The Last of Us Remastered Edition

19m ago - Game Informer's Tim Turi and Ben Reeves play the PS4 version of the highly-acclaimed PS3 game fro... | PS4

The Last of Us Remastered Review | DarkStation

19m ago - A year ago Sony released what I’d argue is the best game of the last generation, The Last of Us f... | PS4

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare features three Collector’s Editions

20m ago - "Activision announced the Collector’s Editions for Call of Duty Advanced Warfare today. Yes, ther... | Xbox 360

Study Game Design at DeVry

Rogue Legacy Vita Review | PocketGamer

20m ago - PG - "I'm not going to be able to get through this review without mentioning Spelunky. It's inevi... | PS Vita