Submitted by NYC_Gamer 350d ago | news

The Next Super Smash Bros. Won't Have a Story Mode or Cutscenes

KT:Hey, remember Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Remember the Subspace Emissary adventure mode? Did you see the CG cutscenes? Well, thanks to spoilers, you won't have any of those in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS. (3DS, Super Smash Bros., Wii U)

Alternative Sources
BlackWolf  +   350d ago
Well, that's a bummer.... I loved the Subspace Emissary.
Blacklash93  +   350d ago
Probably for the best, in my opinion. Subspace Emissary felt tacked on to me, lacking the depth and refinements of a proper platformer. It's not something I went back to when I was done.
#2 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
levian  +   350d ago
I'd have to agree, the video scenes really put me off playing that part of the game.
lilbroRx  +   350d ago
That was one of my favorite things about the game. My only wish was that it would allow 4 players and that it had more death to what you could do. My favorite part was that you could augment and power-up your characters.

I was hoping they would ad sticker upgrades to regular brawl, now that dream is gone.

With every new release I here, I become less interested in this game because they have stopped making it a full scale project and start building it for tourney fanatics which I am not. Next they're probably going to get rid of items because tourney players hate them so much.

The vs fighting genre has gone far downhill.
#2.2 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   350d ago
we better get another 14 new characters then, i loved the subspace and the cutscenes.
Ksar  +   350d ago
This has to be one of the worst excuses of all time. Don’t want to create content because of Youtube videos? Really?! Cutscenes need time and effort something they clearly don’t have right now since their terrible planning is making them rush in order to catch gamer’s interest in what is becoming a console disaster. I could take other excuses… But putting the responsibility on gamers like a kind of punishment because of some people who took the video content online?!! It’s too much of an insult man! Imagine if it were Square Enix, Konami or Rockstar Games... that's BS.
#4 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
ZidaneNL  +   350d ago
I'd rather have the team spending all their time and effort on balancing and perfecting the game, instead of adding content that immediately becomes useless after one playthrough. Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Brawl's story, including its spectacular cutscenes, but I don't mind such a sacrifice.

Besides, they might be cooking up something else.
ABizzel1  +   350d ago
@Ksar

I agree the reasoning is BS. ALmost every game gets posted on Youtube. If you don't want the story spoiled for you, then you don't watch it.

It's the gamers choice, and should have nothing to do with Nintendo's decision on whether or not to include it.
Mr_Nuts  +   350d ago
I know right

I mean the same could be said for any game, look at ND do you think they were scared to create The Last of Us since the cutscenes were going to be put on Youtube....nope.

I think it's laziness in my opinion, they've said themselves how hard it is to create for a HD console and even then you have the other excuse about the handheld version that could hold the console version back
scissor_runner  +   350d ago
Leave this to dlc which is timed or even based on the ammount of players reaching a certain point
Thepcz  +   350d ago
maybe the next zelda will have no cutscenes then.

i agree that reason is bs. i agree its most likely a time saving exercise
#4.5 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
rigbybot127  +   350d ago
This won't prove to be a bad thing.
PopRocks359  +   350d ago
Subspace was a good idea on paper but was ultimately boring and uninspired. Not to mention the narrative (or lack thereof) was very confusing.

I hope they bring back the Adventure mode from Melee.

@disagrees

Considering the mode was riddled with poor level design, bland enemies and a great deal of monotony, I don't see why anyone would want to retread Subspace. The cutscenes were really cool, but that's where the positives ended for me.
#6 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
ABizzel1  +   350d ago
The simple answer is Co-op.

There was really no story or voice acting, but it was still nice to see some kind of attempt. And it was even better since you could play with friends.

Now I agree with your complaints about it. I feel it should be a cross between Melee and Brawl. Maybe half the length of Subspace, featuring a level from each of the respected franchises in the game (make the Mega Man stage ultra hard lol), co-op, an intro cutscene to the story, a boss cutscene, and an ending movie for each character.

That would be more than enough. The concept of Subspace with the execution of Melee's Adventure.
#6.1 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
PopRocks359  +   350d ago
It just seemed so half-assed to me. Yeah, Subspace had co-op multiplayer, but it was the only co-op mode in the game WITHOUT online playability. Couple this with platformer level design that would make Miyamoto cringe and the bland environments with little to no relevance to the roste, you have for a fairly unfulfilling experience.

Also the maze part where you basically retread everything AGAIN was boring as hell.

And I agree. Mixing the two would be better; Adventure's gameplay and design with Subspace's cutscenes would suffice for me.
SpiralTear  +   350d ago
I miss Melee's Adventure Mode. It was cool seeing the different characters together in the Subspace Emissary cutscenes in Brawl, but Melee's Adventure Mode was just better designed.
Blastoise  +   350d ago
Completely agree. Adventure mode was so much better, Subspace was a complete drag despite the cool cut scenes and character pair-ups.

I don't know how anyone could find it fun, it was just so boring...
majiebeast  +   350d ago
Nintendo employees still very affraid of this new thing called the internet.

If you make a game it will get uploaded to youtube. Subspace was a good idea badly executed but using this as a excuse to drop it is a bit sad.
#7 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
scissor_runner  +   350d ago
I saved money on the last of us by watching you tube! Oh I should buy and play it? What why.? Its story based and not really a game play challenge. So why not just play the video.! I think ill do that with all story based games since their game play sucks.

Now the above would piss you off right. Think about how developers feel but gamers are even more pissed off at the bad stories acting like they are games with no replay.

with that being said im glad Nintendo isnt wasting time on that. I think its a great place for new hires to flex their muscle but we want the pros doing the game play.
Darkfist  +   350d ago
don't worry i did it with zelda skyward sword, and pikmin3.
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   350d ago
Going back to Adventure mode maybe? I enjoyed Adventure mode.
CaptainYesterday  +   350d ago
I hope so I really enjoyed Adventure mode.
Kamikaze135  +   350d ago
That is an incredibly selfish reason to exclude story. Really? You get rid of it completely because a few people saw it on Youtube before playing the game? You couldn't "wow" the player with the physical product so you get rid of it?
#9 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Dj7FairyTail  +   350d ago
few you mean thousand saw them when Brawl release in Japan first.
Kamikaze135  +   350d ago
In comparison to the millions that bought it, yes, that's very few.
scissor_runner  +   350d ago
Which means no one played it if it could just be watched... which means wasted development effort. Dlc is the best way for this and it would reward player over time. You get the game and then episode later if you want them.
Dj7FairyTail  +   350d ago
Good!
More time spent on characters, modes, online and balancing.
jakmckratos  +   350d ago
Uhhhh so because it was on the internet before you're not doing it?? Ill be honest I saw one or two scenes that NITNENDO released and I didn't bother looking for anymore. This is a lame-ass excuse..pople truly excited for a game won't be searching to spoil it...most games get leaked and it's up to players not to watch. I just feel like they don't want to put the effort in again..I mean subspace emissary wasn't a fantastic feature as I would have liked it to be but it was nice to have SOMETHING else to do besides 4 person fights.
Eamon  +   350d ago
The main reason why people played it in the first place because it was an easier alternative way of unlocking characters.

I don't mind no Subspace Emissary in Smash Bros Wii U. But I do hope they include a less time-consuming alternative to unlock characters.
McScroggz  +   350d ago
Obviously most everybody that buys a Super Smash Bros. game is doing so primarily for the multiplayer component, but this seems like a cheap way to cut costs of the game. Nintendo prides itself for producing only the highest quality first party titles, so I was expecting them to try to make at least a fun/co-operative story mode.

In the end it's not a big deal, but it does look bad for Nintendo.
WeAreLegion  +   350d ago
I wouldn't mind another story, if it were a good story. I'd rather they spend more time on balancing and tweaking than lay out another horrible story. So, I'm ok with this.
CrossingEden  +   350d ago
so....they have a new HD engine, on an HD console, meaning the cutscenes could probably look better than the wii's CGI, and they aren't doing it, because they don't want people to see it outside of their game....wow nintendo, just wow, thank god other game companies aren't following your lead
herbs  +   350d ago
I think it's a good thing for them to focus on the core experience and character balancing first and foremost but it would be nice if a similar adventure mode or at least some interesting multiplayer Gamepad mechanics would come as DLC later down the line.
Lionalliance  +   350d ago
This is a very BS excuse to be honest.
Jagsrock  +   350d ago
If you read the article he says that there will be cutscenes for new comers and they will have character intros just no story mode with cutscenes.so it's not like there will be no CGI videos at all like the title suggests.
Gr81  +   350d ago
Good
Keep things simple. Its better that way. I play a game to play it not watch it.
scissor_runner  +   350d ago
Exactly plus rendering these movies will take time. Give us the game!
Darkfist  +   350d ago
meh, i just watched pikmin3 on youtube good thing i didnt buy it.
herbs  +   350d ago
Good for you Dorkfist such a relevant comment...
TuxedoMoon  +   350d ago
Subspace was a good idea, but they didn't flesh it out to make it amazing. Brawl had extremely bland levels, enemies, and bosses. Would've been much better if they used ALL of the assets they had from the various games. Let one of the bosses be eggman and Black knight from FE. Let the enemies in the jungle be the croc pirates from DKC. Instead we got a bunch of crappy kirby rejects.

And for those who say "They can spend more time balancing the game". They can simply make patches that can fix most issues. I don't want this game to end up like MVC3, a BAREBONED fighting games. I want Smash 4 to be overflowing with content that celebrates Nintendo. Music Cds, stickers, and trophies all made it all the better. I like unlocking music and characters instead of getting a stupid message that says I did a good job (PSN/XB Trophies/achievements). Nintendo is one of the few companies that still rewards players for playing the game with in game content. Animal Crossing could've easily been whored into a cash shop game. Nintendo would've made a lot more money from that game that way (because people will buy that crap).

Sad to see them exclude the story mode. The issues I've always had with cross-over fighters was that the characters lacked interaction. If you've played ProjectXzone, then you probably know what I want. Seeing different characters interact makes the cross-over a lot more sweeter. That's what made the SSE cutscenes cool, because characters interacted beyond just fighting. It's what made those SFxTK cutscenes really cool, CHARACTERS WERE TALKING TO EACH OTHER and playing off their personalities.

Sakurai's excuse for excluding the mode is extremely weak. People have been spoiling games for years! It's not like every gamer actually goes out to spoil games for themselves. Gamers like to be wowed by a game they are looking forward to and do hold off on the spoilers. There are people who don't pay attention and get surprised by playing the game. you're still giving people that satisfaction of finding a cool thing in your game. Not everyone will see the spoilers Sakurai!

Hopefully there's going to be more (co-op) challenges? Return of RACE TO THE FINISH maybe? I just want more content on the disc...THAT IS FREE.
Xof  +   350d ago
So now it's just a brawler?

Well, there goes any interest I had in the game. Sorry, but I've never felt fighting game mechanics were enough to justify an entire game.
Man-E-Faces  +   350d ago
What disappointing news this is, I am pissed off! The emissary mode was my and my little nephew's favorite part of Brawl and NO, NO! We don't give a damn about competitive tournament bs we want to play a fun video game! Video games are meant to be fun for all ages and that's what the story mode provided a beat em up old school type side scroller. This is exaclty why I never bought PS All-Stars, it is nothing more than a simple repetitive pick your arena, pick your fighter button mash that's becomes meh why bother after a few fights, and now I certainly won't buy this Smash either if at all from the bargain bin, you do not deserve my money, how dare you try to sell me a gimped product and expect me to pony up full retail value. Damn you F?????s!
#23 (Edited 350d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply

Calm down. The Nostromo Edition Pre-Order incentive will be available to all

10m ago - The Creative Assembly announced on the Alien: Isolation Facebook page that the pre-order incentiv... | PC

Ubisoft Offer Confident Outlook On Wii U's Turn-Around

19m ago - In a turn of fortunes it appears that France’s largest video games developer may be having a chan... | Wii U

AA Meeting Podcast Episode 67

1h ago - The AA Meeting is your weekly destination for all the biggest gaming news of the week. This we... | PC

Platform Game Ninja Pizza Girl Gets Short Gameplay Demo

1h ago - SegmentNext writes: "Independent developer Disparity Games has released a short demo for Ninja Pi... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

IncGamers Podcast #172

1h ago - This week on the IncGamers Podcast: Grim Fandango is on PC (again,) DOTA 2's playoffs are confusi... | PC