Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by BootHammer 859d ago | opinion piece

Top 5 Hardest Video Games

"Today gamers are a bit spoiled on video game difficulty for the most part. Players get multiple checkpoints and auto saves which greatly reduces how tough the game is overall. In our opinion,a good challenge is core to any good game and it’s what gives players that great feeling of accomplishment upon beating a boss or grueling level. Join BootHammer as we take a look at our picks for the Top 5 Hardest Video Games." (Contra III, Demon Souls, Ninja Gaiden Black , PS3, Retro, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Wii, Xbox 360)

DestinyHeroDoomlord  +   859d ago
Battle toads isn't that hard, I remember my granny beating contra and mega man long ago... ghost and goblins is definitely my #1 hardest game
BootHammer  +   859d ago
If your granny beat Contra III she is hardcore, lol.
mattdillahunty  +   859d ago
Demon's Souls harder than Ninja Gaiden Black? they're not even in the same league of difficulty. and the guy doesn't even give reasons for why Demon's Souls is that difficult; punishing =/= difficult.
GameSpawn  +   859d ago
What is funny about all the games listed their difficulty comes from ignorance of the game mechanics. Once you memorize enemies' movements, attacks, and positions the games become manageable. This is easier said than done on some of these titles, but not impossible.

Difficulty is very subjective for games like these. It really comes down to the type of person and how much patience they have. One person my find Demon's Souls to be overly difficult, but has no issues with Ninja Gaiden, or the reverse could be the case, or both can be hard, or both can be easy. It's all the person that makes the difficulty. Sure overall difficulty can be decided on a game by the majority, but ultimately difficulty is still subjective to the individual.

Personally I have no issues with Demon's Souls, but I cannot stand Ninja Gaiden, especially on the higher difficulties because of the amount of button mashing needed. My hands just get fatigued too quickly with the Ninja Gaiden games. NG takes knee-jerk reflexes; DS you can at least pace yourself and never really be overwhelmed.
KrimsonKody  +   859d ago
My granny had beat the God of War series, 1, 2, & 3.
She thinks Kratos is sexy, Lol.
mattdillahunty  +   859d ago

at high levels of Ninja Gaiden, there is absolutely no button mashing going on if you're any good at the game. i don't mean to sound arrogant when i say that, but it's the truth. a great NG player knows when to do combos, when to block, when to dodge, etc.

if you're mashing buttons in Ninja Gaiden, there's a 99% chance you're just not good at the game. again, not trying to be high and mighty, just stating the facts.
j-blaze  +   859d ago
i don't get the ppl saying Demon's Souls was harder the Dark Souls..Dark Souls has a place called Tomb of the Giants, and enemies like skeletons "especially pinwheel and giant dog like skeletons" Great Feline, dinosaur like creatures, annoying endless mosquitoes, ghosts, harder bosses, more traps etc...both are great game but Dark Souls was more challenging
also, i'd like to add Catherine and Resonance of Fate from this gen
#1.2 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
GameSpawn  +   859d ago
Dark Souls' check-pointing is what made it easier.

Having played both games I can say that Demon's Souls is slightly harder (punishing, not difficult) than Dark Souls. There were many times I was playing Dark Souls (after completing Demon's Souls) that I was saying "really?", "seriously?", "are you kidding me?", "wtf?". I didn't say all that because something was more difficult, I said it because of the breaks I was getting that I never had with Demon's Souls.

There are a handful of enemies in Dark Souls that are definitely stronger than anything normally faced in Demon's Souls, but many of them are optional and as with Demon's Souls with the proper strategy even the strongest enemies become manageable or even pushovers. When it comes down to pure game mechanics, Demon's Souls is the harder (again punishing, not difficult) of the two.
#1.2.1 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
Mutant-Spud  +   858d ago
Dark Souls didn't make me rage quit, I didn't like it so I returned it but Catherine is just brutal, I played the first few levels and was a twisted angry mess, Resonance Of Fate I found really difficult as well. The thing that makes me rage quit is when a game is trial and error with only one, linear way of completing a task, like Trials Evolution or Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls and Resonance Of Fate are hard but they give you many, many options so they're a bit easier to take.
lgn15  +   859d ago
Just means yur grandma is a god
Jhandville1992  +   859d ago
Great article :)
MrChow666  +   859d ago
ohh yeah super ghouls & ghosts what a b*tch!
NioRide  +   859d ago
Oh hey, artificial difficulty made the list.

Why not put side-scrolling shoot em ups too.

Those have much higher amounts of artificial difficulty.
BootHammer  +   859d ago
segamon  +   859d ago
Gradius there you go.
Eyeco  +   859d ago
That reminds me, there was this legendary space shooter I played on the Dreamcast and I think Gamecube that was well noted for its difficulty, I can't remember the name it began with the letter 'I' and it was merciless.
NioRide  +   859d ago
Probably Ikaruga.

Had this as well, was fantastic.

If I remember right they re-released it on Xbox live.
#4.2.1 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
Fishy Fingers  +   859d ago
I've been having a few retro gaming sessions lately, playing some old 8 and 16bit games (ask your parents kids :)) and my god, how I ever got past the first level back then is beyond me.
#5 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
BootHammer  +   859d ago
The old school games for most part were just flat out unforgiving. So many great titles though in the 8 and 16 bit era ;)
Eyeco  +   859d ago
The original Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Ecco the Dolphin, Ghosts n Goblins, haunt me to this day
fsfsxii  +   859d ago
The original Ninja Gaiden trilogy was a complete ass
Lone_Man  +   859d ago
metal slug series...
dark soul...
oIITSBIIo  +   859d ago
Dark souls isn't that hard .
iMixMasTer872   858d ago | Spam
Tetsujin  +   859d ago
I'll add to the list:

Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Bionic Commando (NES)
Mega Man (NES)
Original Ghosts n' Goblins
Contra (NES)
BootHammer  +   859d ago
Mega Man almost made the cut...very fun and very challenging series!
NexGen  +   859d ago
NES Contra with only three lives is not hard. You end up with like 10 by the end without dying.

SNES Contra on the other hand was pure hardcore.
#7.2 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Hellsvacancy  +   859d ago
Super Thunder Blade on the Mega Drive

I could never beat that damn game, I'd probably still struggle now if I tried
#8 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BootHammer  +   859d ago
Wow Thunder Blade looks crazy! How far did you get in it?
Hellsvacancy  +   859d ago
I always failed on stage 3, sometimes I would get to stage 4 but I would always be on my last life

I must of only of been 9 or 10 at the time, the soundtrack was awesome
I_am_Batman  +   859d ago
Yeah that's one of the few games that I couldn't beat. The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis had some really hard games like Eternal Champions or Shadow of the Beast 2. Marble Madness and Batman and Robin were pretty hard too.
#8.2 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
skydragoonity  +   859d ago
@fishyfingers omg I totally understand wat u mean!!! Contra alien wars wasn't hard... Finished it on the hardest difficulty lots of times
#9 (Edited 859d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
AceBlazer13  +   859d ago
new games r crippling my skills how i beat some of the older games as a kid nonetheless is beyond me
bohemian 23  +   859d ago
I agree.
Mikefizzled  +   859d ago
The souls games aren't phenomenally hard they just have steep learning curves to new players
TalesofDalton  +   859d ago
Geez, Ghouls and Ghosts, what a ball buster. Also the first Mega Man is probably the hardest game ever.
Y_5150  +   859d ago
I thought Jak 2 was difficult at some points, anyone agrees?
Relientk77  +   859d ago

grr, that stupid speeder bike level, hard as sh*t man.
FateoftheGame  +   859d ago
I've beaten all of the main Contra games. Contra 4 was the hardest for me (especially if you include the Challenge Mode).
RockmanII7  +   859d ago
plaZeHD  +   859d ago
Surprised Max Payne 3 wasn't in that list. And San Andreas has also some serious brain racking missions. I remember when I literally punched my desktop because of the RC plane mission. But after I realized that I broke my desktop I was screaming no like for two minutes.
iMixMasTer872   858d ago | Spam
rattlesnake25  +   858d ago
Very good list.
Cursinguser  +   858d ago
Old school Ninja Gaiden kicked my ass even when I was a kid, with nothing better to do. God damn flying hawk, son of a bitches!! To this day I can't see a hawk without getting flashbacks of my childhood failures. Screw you, Ninja Gaiden!
#20 (Edited 858d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Just Cause 3 review: excellent explosions, frustrating frame rate / Evening Standard

7m ago - Welcome to Medici - an island boasting crystal clear waters and white sandy beaches stretching al... | Just Cause 3

METAL GEAR SOLID V OST "The Lost Tapes" LE will Come with Actual Tape

9m ago - Metal Gear Solid V is a game that refuses to leave the news, with hidden secrets, and interesting... | Culture

See what games are coming out in 2016

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2016. | Promoted post

Remembering Shadow of the Colossus, One of the Greatest Video Games of All Time

11m ago - Retrovolve's Josh Wirtanen writes: "No video game has ever made me cry. The closest I’ve come, ho... | Retro

UK physical games charts still AWOL

22m ago - Just how did the UK games industry perform during an epic Black Friday sales period? Well, we’... | Industry

Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Saviours Overview video

1h ago - Keith: New to DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours and what to know what's going on? Check out this han... | PC