Submitted by pat_11_5 645d ago | opinion piece

5 obscure game consoles you’ve probably never heard of

With two new major video game consoles on the horizon, it’s easy to forget that there was a time when there were more than three major players in the console landscape. (Retro)

pat_11_5  +   646d ago
I really want a Turbografx-16 but they're so hard to find these days.
jeffgoldwin  +   645d ago
No you don't, lol. It's just nostalgia making you think you will still like it. Just download any free emulator and play all the games free without having all that clutter of hardware under your t.v.
#1.1 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
PurpHerbison  +   645d ago
How are you going to tell him? Are you pat_11_5 on a different account or something?
UltimateMaster  +   645d ago
*The CDi really looks like an Xbox One.
Lol, Good One.
OpenGL  +   645d ago
They're actually very easy to find on ebay. I own one and it's a decent system if you like shmups. I also own a Jaguar although there's only a few good games like Doom, Rayman, and Tempest 2000.
#1.2 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
President  +   645d ago
I've heard of all of these consoles, any gamer does in fact, this is not a list of obscure game consoles, more like the list of Top 5 failed consoles. What a lazy article.
#1.3 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
duckieoro   646d ago | Spam
badjournalism  +   646d ago
More bullshit hipster articles. Yay. If you've never heard of these you've been living under a rock.

"You've probably never heard of it." said every hipster ever. Seriously, GTFO.
Indeed! Might as well throw the Neo Geo and the Dreamcast in there, if we're going by the author's standards.
Magnus  +   645d ago
I still have my TG16, 3DO and Jaguar. man their fun to play time to time have touched my Jaguar in a long time. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Goldstar version of the 3DO.
Angeljuice  +   645d ago
I had a jaguar ( bought it with loads of games for next to nothing when it failed). It was cool, just no great games. I used to give my brother's friend's brother £20 to borrow his 3do for the weekend (before PS1 was launched).
DlocDaBudSmoka  +   645d ago
the only ones who wouldn't know about these systems are kids who started gaming on the ps2/gcn/xbox/dreamcast. anyone over the age of 25 would know of these.
dennett316  +   645d ago
Even then, a lot of the systems have been covered on lots of internet review shows like AVGN and lots of others, and those audiences skew pretty young.
greenlantern2814  +   645d ago
Yeah only people who are young may not have heard of these.
This list could have been 5 huge gaming console failures.
tarbis  +   645d ago
Of all those systems mention. I only got to play the Panasonic 3DO on a rental shop. Super Street Fighter 2 turbo was gem of the system. However, no matter how close the graphics and gameplay was to the arcade, the damn controller was a nightmare. The directional pad is terribly stiff and almost impossible to do a simple hadouken.
#8 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
the_espresso_kid  +   645d ago
Why no mention of Neo Geo?
DlocDaBudSmoka  +   645d ago
bc neo-geo wasnt a failure per se. perhaps here in the states it failed, but over seas it was a success.
the_espresso_kid  +   645d ago
Good point, but in the states Neo Geo was a luxury item and it was actually uncommon to see it in regular retail stores. So in a sense, it was obscure. I only knew about it because I used to read EGM and they had full page ads. I only saw one years later in a used video game shop.
DlocDaBudSmoka  +   645d ago
i knew of neo-geo bc of the arcade machines. those games were fun as hell, at least back in the day. i was always a subscriber to gaming mags. whether it was EGM, video gamer, nintendo power, opm, or gamepro. I love to stay up to date on the latest happenings.
#9.1.2 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
sweendog  +   645d ago
Would like to get hold of an apple pippin they must be quite rare
bit-crusherrrr  +   645d ago
Heard of all of those and own two of them (the 3do and jaguar).
cyclindk  +   645d ago
Anyone heard of the Edison-Graham Enjoym-o-graph...?

Didn't think so

Game console circa 1870, never went into full production of course due in part to Graham's untimely death the previous year, er, and a lack of... well, games... of any kind, whatsoever.

Has a neat light bulb and gauges though, light bulbs were kind of the Call of Duty of the 1800's. A second model in development was to feature two light bulbs and even MORE gauges. Cutting edge for the day.

#12 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DlocDaBudSmoka  +   645d ago
there was a genesis/sega cd combo system that released but it wasnt released by sega. the name escapes me right now tho. it was an ugly POS. The neighbor across the street thought he was hot shit bc he had it, but once i told him i had the original systems he promptly STFU. good times.
blackmanone  +   645d ago
Only a 14 year old could write this article and believe what they're saying. Everyone's over the age of 20 has heard of these consoles.

Edit: And if he's older than 14 it's just pandering for hits.
#14 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JohnCartenper  +   645d ago
The N-Gage really??

I had one

And BTW it was ahead of its time by 10 years
#15 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
BattleAxe  +   645d ago
TurboGrafx-16 is only obscure if you are 25 years old or younger. It was quite popular in Canada when it came out. I remember playing Bonk, back when this console was released.
oldassgamer  +   645d ago
Not really obscure consoles. Brings back a lot of memories. Makes me wish I had kept my 2600, Intellivision, and ColecoVision, or my Mattle Handheld football and baseball games.

Top 10 Worst Paid Mods for Skyrim on Steam Workshop

1h ago - "A fine selection of the worst paid mods on Steam Workshop for Skyrim." | PC

State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition Review - PixelgamerUK

1h ago - State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition is an open world zombie game brought to you by Develope... | Xbox One

Help Myriad get through Steam Greenlight!

Now - Myriad is a twin-stick shooter that grows more beautiful the better you play, where you build and then destroy the game space in glorious chain rea... | Promoted post

War Dragons - Tips, Tricks, Hints, Cheats, and Strategy Guide

1h ago - War Dragons is a new dragon raising game from Pocket Gems, who is far more well known for Dragon... | iPhone

Bouncy Bits: Tips, Tricks, Cheats, and Strategy Guide

1h ago - Bouncy Bits is a new endless-bouncing game for the iOS platform by Playside. Graphics look like s... | iPhone

Island Raiders: Tips, Tricks, Cheats, and Strategy Guide

1h ago - Island Raiders is a new iOS and Android game from the Clash of Clans school of MMO action strateg... | iPhone