Submitted by ShadowNextGen 617d ago | news

Kinect can read and recognize human sign language

Microsoft Research Asia has developed a way where Kinect can read and recognize human sign language. (Kinect, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Attached Video
Testfire   617d ago | Immature | show | Replies(7)
BABYLEG  +   617d ago
I heard the playstation eye can ready the playstation dualshock to let you know who's the player. Lol

Microsoft stay winning.

its for everyone
#2 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
PSVita  +   617d ago
Hahaha.....funny..... :/
rdgneoz3  +   617d ago
I heard the PS eye doesn't need to be connected to the system for it to actually work...
WrAiTh Sp3cTr3  +   617d ago
PS4 and PSeye were seperated at birth.
JokesOnYou  +   617d ago
hmmmm so micorsoft developing kinect to help people and of course you kids still need to bash on it instead recognizing how useful this application can be for the impaired which transcends beyond gaming. Anyway cool to see them doing something like this, hopefully they will keep working on this and produce a practical product that people who use sign language can use in everyday life.
#2.3 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
christocolus  +   617d ago
Just let it go bro, i have learnt to ignore some arrogant comments made by some hate filled and ignorant fan boys.

good work ms. keep it up
Mounce  +   617d ago
And do you know what? No one will use this Kinect feature even if it's to benefit Deaf Gamers. It won't benefit them unless they ONLY love to Navigate the Xbox One main menu and by that point? It wouldn't matter who's deaf, who's using sign-language or anything.

There's no gaming use of you controlling a character, there's no gaming uses of communicating with sign language to communicate in a game, it's got navigating use and basically is if you want to "say" what you want your Xbox to do or to go. Soooo- it's a neat Minimal feature - but you make it sound like it trumps PS4 somehow when this will be used by 0.2% of the audience.

HEY TOM! I JUST TOLD MY XBOX ONE TO PLAY MY GAME IN SIGN LANGUAGE! "That's cool....though if you just moved the controller analog stick to the Play button it'd probably go a lot faster, are you missing a CONTROLLER or something?" - Oh yea, hey! Controllers! They have buttons! (They're pretty cool too)
JokesOnYou  +   616d ago
Mounce is something wrong with you, the video shows Microsoft Asia doing research with Kinect where they have developed it to read sign language its a lot less about gaming than it is about giving the Deaf/impaired folks new ways to interact with the world around them through Kinect to control their pc, tv, and possibly many other electronic devices, its small things you and I take for granted, something simple like they are paralyzed and for whatever reason their remote isn't nearby, they usually would need assistance from and aid just to turn on the TV, with this they can use voice and sign language to turn on the tv and navigate the menus....to say that they shouldn't bother because theres no gaming use is an extremely limited view, the reason X1's and PS4' exist is because of Atari, NES, Sega Genesis, xbox, ps, and etc consoles didn't start off doing all the great things they do now.

So where this Kinect sign language tech may lead to for other mainstream products is anybody guess and surely a lesser part of that will indeed be something useful in games for the Deaf/Iimpaired. The important thing is improvements/conveniences do happen unless SOMEONE tries to do things differently.
#2.4.1 (Edited 616d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
PSVita  +   617d ago
Although it has nothing to do with gaming, I think that's awesome. I know ASL(American sign language) but there are many forms of SL just like vocal languages. Lets hope it can understand them all and is somehow used to make life easier for the deaf and mute. :) everyday that we take for granted is hard for them.
GribbleGrunger  +   617d ago
I agree, this is a fantastic application for Kinect. It would be great if someone made an Indie game specifically for the deaf. I know there wouldn't be a huge audience but it wouldn't do MS any harm to promote it. Or even a 'learn sign language' app. I was trying to make a game for the blind with LBP but I'm not good enough. It worked on frequency of sound (that was the hard bit).
#3.1 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ArmrdChaos  +   617d ago
If they were able to improve on this it would be a nice thing to roll into Skype.
#3.2 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
nRicosS  +   617d ago
wow, mantap :D
Tong  +   617d ago
Kinect gets creepier day by day.
CommonSense  +   617d ago
I agree that some aspects of Kinect are a bit creepy. This, however, isn't one of those aspects.
GribbleGrunger  +   617d ago
This isn't creepy, it's beautiful.
christocolus  +   617d ago
smh
Benjammin25  +   617d ago
I'm still not interested in purchasing a one, (at least, not at the moment.) but well done Microsoft. This is a great feature that will hopefully allow disabled gamers to get the most from their console as well.
Theyellowflash30  +   617d ago
If they make a badass Naruto game, I'll have to purchase it.
Shadonic  +   617d ago
same here man
HugoDrax  +   617d ago
Me three!
BABYLEG  +   617d ago
I'm not much of a Naruto fan, but that sounds appealing
CommonSense  +   617d ago
Would be cool as a learning tool. In fact, Kinect could be used as a good teaching device in general.

Public school (and most colleges) is a joke anyway. As more and more people start opting for home school so that their kids don't turn into brainwashed tools of the state, something like kinect could be a great way to teleconference in with experts in certain areas. I could see an entire curriculum being done via In-Class HD Video Conferencing.
#8 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
n4rc  +   617d ago
This doesn't affect me.. But I think that is absolutely amazing..
matrixman92  +   617d ago
that is a really cool thing for kinect finally. I had a deaf guy in one of my high school classes and it was very difficult for him to communicate through the interpreter, then to the teacher. If this really takes off and I were an interpreter, i would be scared of losing my job lol. This could essentially replace them for a one time fee.

But to get to gamers...majority of people dont need something like this and dont want the other features. I am baffled as to why they are making ALL gamers buy this. I admit it does other very cool things like this, but most people dont want one to begin with.
jairusmonillas  +   617d ago
Oh wow kinect is really great.. great for spying.
SpideySpeakz  +   617d ago
That's great and all, but what impact does it have on games?
And will any game even use this feature?
Looks more like a gimmick to attract the casuals.

Gimmicky Casuals.
#12 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
elhebbo16  +   617d ago
Try to have a little bit more prespective, there are some people out there who would love to have this feature.. it doesnt mean they're "Gimmicky Casuals' w.e that means.
MxRBrobaFett  +   617d ago
That's one of the dumbest comments I've seen this month. So trying to help physically disabled people is tending to casuals somehow? I'm partially deaf and without the help of hearing aids I almost can't hear completely, so I'm labeled as a "casual" because I have to read subtitles? You're a jackass
#12.2 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SpideySpeakz  +   616d ago
Are you people serious? You really believe this will somehow improve gaming for the disable?
Oh lord, N4G has been sucked into the void AGAIN.

I mean, you've completely failed on convincing me on how it works for gaming, with the exception of the disabled. What can the disabled do now that wasn't enable to do before? Nothing significant, that's for sure. It looks good in the eyes of a casual, that's all.

PS: Oh, watch the personal attacks, friend. You don't know me, and I don't know you. Being anonymous on the internet doesn't make you bold.
NomadX   617d ago | Immature | show
n4rc  +   617d ago
I gonna laugh my ass of if I give my Xbox the finger and it turns off on me.. Lol

But kinect is truly a future tool.. Lord only knows what will be possible down the road.. Its included for that reason..

If it was physically built into the box.. Nobody would care I think..

People still view it as a add on.. It was a afterthought on 360.. Had to be sold separately since millions of consoles already shipped without it..

Not the case now.. Just because it plugs in doesn't mean it isn't part of the core system
contradictory  +   617d ago
motion controls.
still bringing nothing to gaming
just because it works doesn't mean that it's necessary.
christocolus  +   617d ago
Here we go again, fan boys trying to dominate a positive xbox one article with their negtive comments..whatever you wanna beleive, you have to agree that this is a nice app ...The arrogance of some...smh
iceman06  +   617d ago
Does the middle finger mean the same thing in sign language!?!? Jokes people...calm down! Now..seriously THIS is a cool feature. I am all for inclusion when it comes to gaming. Developing tools for the handicapped to enjoy gaming as much as possible will always get props from me.

Small bits of Metal Gear Online info straight from the developers

13m ago - Konami Los Angeles Studio, the studio developing Metal Gear Online, has been answering questions... | PC

ZRRO Android Console Sports 4K Resolution, Successfully Funded On Kickstarter

14m ago - One Angry Gamer "Another Android console is on the way and it's called the ZRRO Box. It has a sli... | Android

Want to Join the Releases.com Team? We are Looking for News Editors

Now - We are looking for news editors for the following categories. Games, TV Series, Movies and Tech. If you are an aspiring journalist in one of these... | Promoted post

‘It Came From Itch.io': Greedy Guns | Entertainment Buddha

14m ago - Ray Porreca of Entertainment Buddha writes: "Despite being an open beta, the version of Greedy Gu... | PC

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate review - APG nation

14m ago - If you like MMOs but don’t want to get sucked into the commitment and monthly payments of a subsc... | 3DS

New Video Games Being Designed to Improve Our Health