Submitted by Hellsvacancy 379d ago | news

Gaikai On PS4 Will Support “The Best” PS3 Games

TheSixthAxis: Sony were woolly about what Gaikai can do for PlayStation in February, and they haven’t really expanded beyond that too far since. The idea is that huge server banks running as PlayStation 3s will stream games over the internet to your PlayStation 4 console, but the numbers (both in terms of server capacity and the games themselves) have been kept under wraps. (PS3, PS4)

« 1 2 »
Hellsvacancy  +   379d ago
Im planning on giving my PS3 to my Dad once I have a PS4, but with games like Dark Souls 2 next year I may be hesitant in doing so

I'm assuming all new PS3 games (after the PS4 launch) will be available on the PS4
#1 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(30) | Disagree(22) | Report | Reply
Abash  +   379d ago
Im guessing he means we wont be seeing games like Madden 2007 or some poorly received PS3 game from 6 yars ago being put up to the streaming service. This was rather obvious to me at least
steven83r  +   379d ago
Ya that's what i took away from it. You won't be getting games that flopped or were just poorly made. I think it's gonna just be for blockbuster titles. Makes sense, no point in wasting good space and streaming bandwidth on crap games.
ZodTheRipper  +   379d ago
Yes, I think it's safe to say that nobody would be missing old PS3 Sports games on PS4. But I'm definately looking forward to playing again some of the many classics the PS3 has.
inveni0  +   379d ago
Absolutely. I'm not going to care if some random game isn't on there. Save that capacity for play-as-you-download, as far as I'm concerned.
ABizzel1  +   379d ago
My guess is the majority of PS3 first party and 3rd party exclusives will be there, along with select multiplatofrms (similar to Gaikai before being bought out). Usually the multiplatform games on Gaikai were the prior release to games, so Need for Speed Most Wanted 2, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Battlefield 3 and others instead Need for Speed Rivals, Call of Duty Ghost, and Battlefield 4. Either way it's still good to have, and once PS4, PS2, and PS1 support hit the store, then they'll have something golden.

My question is will this be included with PS+, or the rumored high-end PS+

Free PSN
PS+
PS A+?
justastranger10  +   378d ago
I like how with Xbox One, you can plug a 360 into the hdmi in and get full backwards compatibility.
ABizzel1  +   378d ago
@stranger

Well that brings the price up to $700 USD for people who don't already own an Xbox 360.
starchild  +   378d ago
But not everybody agrees on which games are "crap". Some of my favorite games are games that didn't have very positive critical or commercial success.

There are also a lot of drawbacks to streaming: lag, compression artifacts, having to be online to play your games, limited availability, lack of true ownership, etc.

But oh well, I guess it's better than no backwards compatibility at all.
Reverent  +   378d ago
@stranger, that feature is so meaningless. Microsoft is basically marketting, "If you keep your Xbox 360, your Xbox 360 can play Xbox 360 games!"
Gaming101  +   378d ago
It will likely end up being like the PS2 HD collections we get, reserved for the best games only. The PS2 classics library on PSN brought a lot of less popular games that didn't have huge marketing campaigns into a larger audience as well, so at least some games that were released alongside other massively marketed games can have a chance at some success.
gta2800  +   378d ago
@juststranger

I like how with my TV, you can plug a ps3 into the second hdmi and get full backwards compatibility.

Same crap. Its not truly backwards compatible unless one machine is running all the games.
#1.1.10 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report
N4OGs  +   378d ago
ps4 is gonna rock!!
CommonSense  +   378d ago
^^

Yeah, nothing says "this system rocks" like having to rebuy all the games you already paid full price for.

On PC, all my games will still work even in 10 years, and i won't have pay an extra penny.
Parapraxis   378d ago | Personal attack | show
CommonSense  +   378d ago
Para, I told you to get a life, and now you're personally attacking me in the comments section because i blocked you just so I could avoid another run-in with an obviously insecure, childish fanboy.

do you not see how you're making my point? again, get a life.
last of us confirmed.. We know its big game..

TLOU + GTA5 on ps4 = win!!
#1.2 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Thomper  +   378d ago
@Abizzel1

Ermmmm.... If they don't already have a 360 then BC is not even an issue??

Seriously.... Did you really mean to post that??
pete007  +   378d ago
and nobody buys a next gen console to play retro games, instead buy a 360 direct
CommonSense  +   378d ago
I don't really care about backwards compatibility, but for the people that do...just remember that when PS3 was backwards compatible, the PS2 games looked like straight ass (more so than usual). You were still much better off hanging on to your PS2 if you really wanted to play those games.

Plus, don't you think most people that want backwards compatibility are people that already own the last-gen games?

In the case with this Sony cloud system, you are going to be re-buying all those games. They aren't going to be free for you if you bought the game for PS3. it's just another console fleecing scheme.
Parapraxis  +   378d ago
"get a life, dude.

taking it all personal because i don't like that shitty game? what a pathetic person you must be."
-commonsense's reply to me, regarding his The Last of Us trolling, sent via PM. (check his comment history to see just how brutal he is in his trolling of The Last of Us)

I'll post my reply here since he's a little bitch, and blocked me.

I'm not taking it personal.
It's just clear you are trolling.
Play dumb all you want, you are damn good at it.
#1.3.3 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report
CommonSense  +   378d ago
^^

It's not trolling. I genuinely dislike TLoU and I cannot see the appeal in the game.

Voicing an opinion that is contrary to the popular consensus is NOT trolling.

Trolling is deliberately saying something you know to be untrue for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people. I'm not doing that. It's not my fault that there are people out there who's lives are so utterly pointless that they take it personally when i criticize a game that had literally NOTHING to do with the creation of.

Get a life.
#1.3.4 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(8) | Report
xkvcq  +   378d ago
@CommonSense #1.3.4

Bro, why're you talking to yourself???
Koyes  +   378d ago
If Demon's Souls is supported, I am :D in my top 3 for this gen by far
_FantasmA_  +   378d ago
This is great, but like Xbox 360's wack ass backwards compatibility, some under the radar games won't be playable. I remember I held a grudge against when they didn't add Dues Ex Invisible War to the 360 BC because at that time I didn't have a good enough PC to run it. Years later, I still hate M$ for this and everything else that they do.

There are alot of games that aren't blockbuster sellers that deserve a chance :(.
showtimefolks  +   378d ago
Gaikai is the IT service for ps4, it has so much potential but we don't know a lot, i think its a safe bet to assume this service won't be up an running anytime within next 6 months. And i am fine with that, take your time figure out the best use of the service and how to make improvements in future

i say fall 2014 full Gaikai support for ps4

sony paid 300 plus million for Gaikai, so you better believe they had a plan on how they wanted the service to interact with their consoles
#1.6 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
babadivad  +   378d ago
This isn't a reply to anything[and completely off subject]. I just find it odd how people on here just accept that Sony/Gaikai can stream entire games[graphics, physics, and player input without lag]. No doubt [at least that I've heard] what so ever. On the other hand Microsoft mentions they can assist/offload calculations to their much more robust cloud infrastructure it is met with such disbelief, friction and tons of snark articles. I just find the duplicity humorous. Just no objectivity at all. Also I do have a PS3 and 360[have to say that or be labeled as a fan boy] and plan on getting both the PS4 and Xbox One. I'm excited to see how both solutions pan out and change over the next couple years.
#1.7 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ZodTheRipper  +   378d ago
Sony will be using Gaikai mainly to stream games. Gaikai already has proven that it works and integrated in PS4 it has a lot of potential.

Microsoft on the other hand advertises the X1 as "40x more powerful than X360" thanks to the cloud. Eurogamer already explained why this is pure marketing gibberish to distract from the inferior specs of the console.

So both solutions have potential but Sony has realistic goals while Microsoft has to prove it's claims first.
babadivad  +   377d ago
@Zod18
But Gaikai faces the exact same bandwidth and latency issues as Xbox cloud. So if Gaikai has found a way to do it that should be proof that this is possible right? I don't think Microsoft will have as much trouble implementing their solution as many people think. But yeah Microsoft's nebulous goals are kind of encouraging the doubters.
#1.7.2 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
EPiCDiNGO  +   378d ago
As long as I can get GTA 5 on Gaikai I will be very happy :)
mkotechno  +   378d ago
I'm almost sure there will be next-gen and PC versions next year, after port it to PC would be dumb not to port it to PC-architecture consoles too.
sandra12mann   378d ago | Spam
Maddens Raiders  +   379d ago
Well I don't have to worry if it supports the best, worst, or all in between. I'm sure for some this will be a really big issue though.

*glances over PSOne's, PS2's, and PS3's in entertainment room and smiles*
#2 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
mewhy32   379d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(2)
LOGICWINS  +   379d ago
Translation:

Underappreciated games like the Yakuza franchise and other JRPGs won't be on Gaikai. And only a few (if not any) multiplats.

Looks like I'll be keeping my PS3 for a LONG time.
Maddens Raiders  +   379d ago
You really should try to be a /little bit better/ if you're going to troll this hard.
LOGICWINS  +   379d ago
I gathered information from the article and made the assessment that Sony will only focus on premier critically acclaimed PS exclusives for Gaikai.

And BECAUSE I enjoy PS exclusives that aren't widely popular with critics(Tales of Graces f, Yakuza 4 etc.), I have decided to keep my PS3 for a longer time than I had previously anticipated because I want to keep these games in my collection.

If THATS trolling, I'll happily lose a bubble if the mods believe I should lose a bubble.
Transporter47  +   379d ago
PS4 will use Gaikai to stream “the best” PS3 games, with more legacy titles planned to be added later.
Baka-akaB  +   379d ago
Yakuza is a huge hit in japan , so at least over there you'll have those ... at the very least .

Besides i think it will be easier for them to add games with a digital version already available .
Larry L  +   378d ago
You're saying he's trolling, but he's actually got exactly the right idea. Those under-appreciated games indeed probably won't be there. And he's also right in saying he sould keep his PS3 for a LONG time. Damn right.

Since PS4 has no hardware BC (which is good imo to keep cost down), and the streaming library will be limited and likely cost more money to use the streaming service anyway, if you're already a PS3 owner, it really make perfect sense to not get rid of your PS3 when you move on to PS4. And I'm a person who has ALWAYS traded in old hardware for new.

Plus, PS3 still costs almost as much as PS4, lol. It's unique hardware that's too hard and not worth duplicating, and it's got a library full of craptons of unique games that really were some of the bst of all time. Don't trade those PS3s in people. Keep them, and in fact continue to collect that library of games that so many people were too broke to afford all of the ones we wanted but never got around to purchasing.

IMO PS3 and it's library of games it not only shelf worthy, buy worthy of forever staying hooked up to a display of some kind, so those timeless games can always be enjoyed. Almost all of PS3s exclusives will age well 15 yeas from now aside from racing and sports....which simply just CAN'T age well by nature usually.

The streaming service will be great for all the former 360 only gamers who will be switching over to PS4, but if you already own a PS3, smart money would just keep it.
#4.1.4 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report
Corpser  +   378d ago
He's not trolling, a niche game like Yakuza is just going to be low priority for gaikai
ThePsychoGamer  +   379d ago
I think it may be a bit premature to say that, we still don't know if Sony will allow other publishers to put their games on Gaikai. Whether or not they do will determine what niche games we see on the service. If they do allow this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tales of, Disgaea, or even Neptunia games on it.
JAMurida  +   379d ago
Pretty much.
WeMilk   379d ago | Spam
Tultras  +   379d ago
It doesn't make sense that Sony won't allow streaming of their exclusive titles. They should be on the top priority list, IMO.
FamilyGuy  +   378d ago
Any digital game on the PS Store should automatically be included in Gaikai.

You shouldn't worry about those games, they've sold enough to be franchises so they should show up, if not at launch then eventually.

Their goal was to have all games available remember?

I'm keeping my PS3 regardless. I have a bunch of games I still need to play and it's a great multimedia device on top of being a game console.
ABizzel1  +   378d ago
@Logic

The fact that Sega/Sony even bothers to localize Yakuza seems like it would be one of the franchises on the list of games to come, and not skip over.
matrixman92  +   378d ago
except they arent localizing them anymore, no word of the HD collection coming to the US
raWfodog  +   378d ago
Well as I do not trade in or sell any of my older consoles, I'll be keeping my PS3 for as long as it'll have me. But, as was quoted in the article, The goal is apparently “to eventually have many more legacy PlayStation titles” available. So I'm sure that eventually they'll have many games available that were not blockbuster hits.
_FantasmA_  +   378d ago
Even if those games somehow made the cut, you should still keep your PS3. I remember I sold my PS1 for $10 and I regretted it so much. I sold all my games, memory cards and 2 controllers with the console fore $10!!! I bought a PSOne almost immediately though, so I'm good but I learned my lesson. I won't sell my old consoles anymore, unless its a M$ product. I still have my crappy Gamecube even though I never play.
TheDivine  +   378d ago
It's remote play all over again. Sony said all games will work but only a handful did. Sony says all ps3 games would work on cloud now we find out only a few will. This isn't the cloud bc like Sony fans hyped, its another broken promise. I though I could play Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Demons Souls, Catherine, Valkyria Chronicles, exc on my Vita. Now it will prob Kz, Ratchet, and maybe COD if we're lucky.

It looks like people need to buy a ps3 and ps4 just like the xbone.
Thirty3Three  +   379d ago
So, I'm gonna say it. (Yes, I LOVE Battlefield AND Call of Duty! - I know, "What?!!? Impossible!", right,) but I'd really love to see Black Ops 2 come to Gaikai :)

Just stating my opinion. I know others disagree, but oh well! That's why they're called "opinions" :)
WeMilk   379d ago | Spam
14Feb-R  +   379d ago
I only want thesee games from gaikai : GTAV/Beyond/TLOU/GT6
#5.2 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Black-Helghast  +   379d ago
Come on bro, Call of Duty? I desperately hope that Destiny becomes the multiplayer game everyone plays next gen.
Baka-akaB  +   379d ago
I hope not ... i want the game to succeed enough to be a financial success , but with at least partially another and possibly better public for it .

Let cod keep the cod crowd .
Thirty3Three  +   379d ago
See guys? That's why I've stated, "MY OPINION" in my message there. Don't be rude. It's my personal choice. If you don't like CoD, fine. I like it. That's my choice. Don't be assholes about it. (This post is mostly directed at "WeMilk" for being a dick.)
raWfodog  +   378d ago
I too am hoping that Destiny gains a significant multiplayer community. I plan on getting this game and I hope it is successful and very well supported.
thebudgetgamer  +   379d ago
No Haze! Blasphemy!
MiasmaDodo  +   379d ago
So I wont be able to download NHL 2k8 one day?

I am being dead serious :(

at least give us COD4 online with no hackers then
#7 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
CRAIG667  +   379d ago
To be fair, I am purchasing a PS4 to play PS4 games, streaming PS3 games is a nice after thought but at the end of the day I aint selling my PS3 so this service will be surplus to requirement in my case...
steven83r  +   379d ago
Ya man same here. I don't want a PS4 so i can play PS3 games. That's what my PS3 is for. This is good for people who want to play PS3 games as long as they are blockbuster titles or made a splash in the industry. Ill still be switching back and forth until i played all my games and the last good game to come out for PS3.
blanket14  +   378d ago
in all seriousness what if an xbox 360 gamer buys the ps4 and doesnt have a ps3 so maybe they want to enjoy the exclusives they missed this gen.
aquamala  +   379d ago
and if your PS3 dies you'll buy another one? it still costs $250
raWfodog  +   378d ago
I'm sure eventually the price of the PS3 will come down even more. I won't be surprised if Sony eventually lowered it to $149, much like the PS2 was selling for $99 during its final stage.
Godmars290  +   379d ago
Not liking the idea of "The Best". Of only the most popular being available rather than everything.

Edit:
Though it does mean that anything just announced and released will likely come to PS4 via da cloud.

There's also to question of will whatever is offered will be buy-able, or require PS+ as part of its library.
#9 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Whitey2k  +   379d ago
Does that mean GTA5 on ps4?
patsrule316  +   379d ago
Coming from an Xbox house, but switching to PS4 next gen, The games I wanted to try were Journey, The Last of Us, The Uncharted Series, and the God of War series, so if they can actually pull off the Gaikai system, I am happy, because the games I want to play will be there anyways. Then again, I would have to be between PS4 games to play them anyways, but I will find the time at some point.
Neixus  +   379d ago
They -will- pull of the gaikai system, it works wonders. Tried it before Sony bought them up, and they got loads of servers,so latency is low.
MasterCornholio  +   379d ago
Is it less laggy than onlive?

Im asking because i have a 100MBS internet connection and onlive is horrible.
Baka-akaB  +   379d ago
The experience will of course vary , but yeah it was already better than Onlive .
Grimhammer00  +   379d ago
Honestly....I was all bummed about PS3 losing BC this gen. But I never play titles twice unless they are awe inspiring.

I can count only a few games I'd want to play on ps4 from ps3 -

Journey
Last of us
Shadow of the colossus (ps3 version is HD. So that's good)
Mirrors edge (remake should cover that)

But much like ps2 to ps3....I'll be way to into ps4 to think about ps3.

With the exception of demon souls 2! Damn I love those games!
Conzul  +   379d ago
Yeah that's pretty much my take on it as well. Plus God of War and perhaps the old Resistance games.
Brucis  +   379d ago
This better include Demon's Souls. As much as I like my PS3 it would go a long way towards paying for a PS4.
Corpser  +   379d ago
Lame, I thought all ps3 games will be on gaikai. Any news if its still coming to pc and tablets?
Conzul  +   379d ago
Well I just got an Xperia tablet, and it lets you "hook" up a DS3...so I think maybe it could happen.
WeAreLegion  +   378d ago
Xperia Z? I'm using it right now!
hkgamer  +   379d ago
Think they still need to explain the cost structure of the gaikai service a little more.

I mean if it is too expensive than I guess no one would even bother using it.
Dlacy13g  +   379d ago
This reminds me a bit of how MS handled Xbox 360 BC... Only select titles were ported to keep costs down... Guessing Sony is doing something similar.... using less server space for games nobody will play, etc...
TheDivine  +   378d ago
360 played about 99 percent of titles though. The ps4 will play 1 percent of titles. Very huge difference between a few games don't work and a few games do work. This is barely better than the xbone. Even worse all psn titles and xbla titles won't work on next consoles. I'm left with hundreds of games that won't transfer. I can't believe we have consoles that won't let your dd games transfer over, even the flipping WiiU has this feature and full disk bc. Sony and ms are shyster ass money grubbing assholes for this one.
Gran Touring  +   379d ago
I hope we get MGS4 :)
Conzul  +   379d ago
That's highly probable.
I'm worried about more obscure games like the Chronicles of Riddick series and the original TFU
MisfitsInc  +   379d ago
i better see Heavenly Sword
Hazmat13  +   379d ago
it be cool if they can upgrade all PS3 games to 60 fps and 1080p (without changing graphics of course that would take too much time.)
Edit :is that what this thing does? idk i dont know what it does im just a simple gamer from simple town near the of state simpleton...... simple.
#19 (Edited 379d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
tweet75  +   379d ago
im disappointed gaikai should have every game ever available on every playstation console
Gamers_United  +   378d ago
Funny thing Gaikai is only available in the US first and to the other countries enjoy the waiting period

Some won't get gaikai till late 2018 or more LOL
Tommymk2  +   378d ago
Don't people have the money for a ps2?? If u wanna play classics buy the consoles I still play ps1 n ps2 games on me old box telly, beats playin em on HDTV , apart from the decent ports ie mgs hd,
MiasmaDodo  +   378d ago
Sony if your reading this what if we can "request" games from the cloud?

1. NHL 2k8
2. NCAA 11
3. GTA V
#23 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Prime_28  +   378d ago
So much for backwards compatibility through Gaikai huh?
cunnilumpkin  +   378d ago
for free??

lol....yeah right, they love selling rich women their own fat asses back to them

I'll wait for an emulator that will do it 10x better than GARBAGE cloud gaming which is AWFUL!
ColeMacGrath  +   378d ago
WAIT A SECOND....
Are we gonna have to re-buy those games or can we get them for free (If we already have them on PS3)?
And are they gonna have the same PS3 graphics or will they look better on PS4?
Prime_28  +   378d ago
You're gonna have to re-buy them. Sad I know.
AxeCain  +   378d ago
Is this confirmed? I was under the impression it would be subscription based (similar to netflix)
SpinalRemains138  +   378d ago
Wouldn't it be amusing to see Skyrim available on Gaikai?

Sure we all loved it, but it just may be the poorest running game in the entire PS3 library.
I have actually never seen a game as bug riddled as Skyrim & I have seen a lot of games going back 30 years.
byeGollum  +   378d ago
Well, I shall be keeping my Ps3. . I think.
#28 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
N4OGs  +   378d ago
me to because the ps3 has a blueray player so when I get ps4 I will have blueray player for each room.
fredpinta  +   378d ago
That kinda means that GTA V will come out on ps4...well, the ps3 version at least!
PrimeGrime  +   378d ago
One reason I am holding out on these bigger PS3 titles released this year. I would rather stream them on PS4 personally.
Mr-Dude  +   378d ago
Great news for us and the people who buy a PlayStation for the first time or coming back to this platform. They can enjoy the exclusives like Uncharted, The Last Of Us, Heavy Rain and Beyond, ect.

Hopefully the price isn't that high, or maybe free trough PS Plus...
« 1 2 »

Bad News for Nintendo

4m ago - Can Nintendo live on in the video game hardware and software business? | Wii U

NES Remix Pack announced for North America

5m ago - Nintendo just announced the "NES Remix Pack" for North America during a San Diego Comic-Con live-... | Wii U

The Remarkable Thing About The Destiny Beta

9m ago - Although the Destiny beta story is lackluster so far, one gamer (who usually cares much about sto... | Xbox 360

Meet ‘The American’ in This New Video For The Evil Within

29m ago - Bethesda has released a new video from their ‘Underground’ series for their upcoming horror title... | PC

Study Game Design at DeVry

Version Control: Virtua Fighter 2

55m ago - Hardcore Gamer: When games jump from platform to platform, changes are inevitable. Be they small... | Xbox 360