Submitted by doctorstrange 472d ago | news

Yoshida: You Can’t Turn off DualShock 4′s Light Bar, PS4 USB Ports in the Front for Easy Access

One of the minor details about the DualShock 4 that wasn’t covered in our giant PS4 guide is whether or not the PlayStation 4 controller’s Light Bar could be turned off in order to conserve battery life. - PSLS (PS4, Tag Invalid)

Alternative Sources
« 1 2 »
TrendyGamers  +   472d ago
As long as it isn't too bright and doesn't drain the battery, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.
auragenz  +   472d ago
It has to be always on, because it needs to read your thoughts.
TrendyGamers  +   472d ago | Funny
And it rumbles whenever you think of Xbox.
#1.1.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(110) | Disagree(5) | Report
iGAM3R-VIII  +   472d ago
So if you think about a PS4 then what happens, and what about a WiiU
TrendyGamers  +   472d ago
@iGAM3R-VIII

It puts on a laser light show in your brain if you think of PS4.
Army_of_Darkness  +   472d ago
@igam3r
If you have a ps4 controller in your hand, I'm sure your already thinking about it to begin with;-)
MikeMyers  +   472d ago
ainsz  +   472d ago
@IGamer: You have it your hands.
madpuppy  +   472d ago
"It has to be always on, because it needs to read your thoughts."

and the little speaker in the controller sends out ultrasonic waves to keep you in line, docile and conducive to playstation store purchases.
#1.1.7 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(2) | Report
iGAM3R-VIII  +   472d ago
LOL idk why I have dissagress ahahah anyway @TrendyGamers A light show?! hell yea!
Mounce  +   472d ago
Why DOES iGAM3R have so many disagrees? Honestly? What did he say that was so wrong and rustled so many jimmies, from a simple contrasting-inquiry?

Sometimes N4G users can be worse than self-entitled youtube users...
NeoTribe  +   472d ago
Igamer has disagrees because hes a known troll. Its kinda how logicwins always has alot. Nobody likes em.
sAVAge_bEaST  +   472d ago
like kinect, but different,,... good on.]
nukeitall  +   472d ago
I hope the light bar isn't a light show every time I game!
iGAM3R-VIII  +   472d ago
@NeoTribe I am a troll? Last time I checked I wasn't. And tell me how that comment was a troll, infact take a look at my recent commetns and you will see none of them are trolling. Sometimes you N4G users have no brain to use
Wintersun616  +   471d ago
"Why can't we have a choice, why are they forcing us to have it on? I think we should voice our concerns so that they change this. No reason to have this on all the time. This isn't some small light like on the PS3 controller."

Actually I'm pretty sure that the lightbar is made of some translucent material and actually only has a few LEDs behind it, much like the orb on Move. It won't have a huge impact on the controllers battery life.
malokevi  +   471d ago
What!!!!! But we want OPTIONS! BURN SONY TO CINDER!!! RAGEEEEE
AliTheSnake1  +   471d ago
That Sucks!
I have a Glossy screen.
zeee  +   471d ago
Ok, not cool. I like to game in dark room and the reflection on the screen is gonna be a bitch! Ah well, guess I'll just put on some duct tape or something :D Yes, I don't care if it looks ugly, I don't like light reflecting on the TV screen.
jcnba28  +   469d ago
I guess you could say now that the PS4 is always on! lol
DarkBlood  +   472d ago
im sure it will be as good as the dualshock3 or better which they do go on for quite a bit in a day or so
TrendyGamers  +   472d ago
Yeah, I'm always surprised by how long the DS3 battery lasts.
Dee_91  +   472d ago
i was more surprised by how quick it charge
Koyes  +   472d ago
@DMarc

Agreed. I usually charge whilst gaming and in an hour or two, I have full charge :D.
ZombieKiller  +   471d ago
Funny...PS users complain about a light on the controller having to always be
on. Xbox owners complain about the internet having to always be on.

Goes to show which company spoils their fans.

4 is greater than One.
sak500  +   471d ago
@zombie troll..

While you're at it bring up RROD as well.
ziggurcat  +   472d ago
it's likely an LED light, which doesn't take up a lot of energy.
C-Thunder  +   472d ago
Actually, its four LEDs.
GameSpawn  +   472d ago
I'm pretty sure it's LEDs. If it is constructed like the Move controller there are 3-4 LEDs (at least 3 - Red, Green, & Blue) and a diffuser to spread the light and blend the colors.

The DualShock3 and Sixaxis both utilize 4 LEDs for the player indicators and no more than 2 are on past initial connection (it takes 2 lights to indicate controller 5, 6, and 7 usually reserved for the Move Controllers and the Bluetooth Remote; all 4 blink during connection). The real killer to battery on the DualShock3 was the vibration motors, but considering with my own DualShock3s I get an average of a week of use out of them I'd imagine the DualShock4 will be roughly the same.

My only comment about the new controller is that they sure did cram a hell of a lot of electronics in a tiny little space. Anyone who has taken apart their DS3's would know there is a lot in those controllers. (Warning technical stuff) The elimination of the analog buttons for digital and subsequently the "floating" circuit board (how "analog" buttons were possible) did buy them some space in the DS4 controller as well as making the controller just slightly bigger in all directions.
#1.3.2 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report
IMightBeRetarded  +   471d ago
Why do so many people care, it's damn light. It won't drain the battery. The ps move has a huge ass glowing orb on it and it's battery life was fine.
ZombieKiller  +   471d ago
Hey sakofshit, if you want I can bring up the RROD. Its not exactly rocket scie-- oh wait it is apparently. I was making an always on joke. Cry more.
two words. Duct tape..
#1.4 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
tubers  +   471d ago
Duct tape generation:

Kinect cam and light bar.
ape007  +   471d ago
^^^^^^

"Duct tape generation"

LoooL
#1.4.2 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report
T2  +   471d ago
Ya duct tape or tint materials I had a stereo faceplate in a car was so bright had to tint it lol
RedHawkX  +   471d ago
it gives you energy its like a blast shard of sorts
extermin8or  +   471d ago
@people calling iGAM3R-VIII a troll, I don't know about his other comments but he's not trolling here. However MikeMyers is attempting to stealth troll-poorly but still if you want to have ago at anyone... well there he is.
#1.6 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
greenlantern2814  +   471d ago
This is the kinda stuff people have to complain about the DS4 seems insignificant to me.
Masterdon   471d ago | Spam
tonja12labonte   471d ago | Spam
g-nome  +   471d ago
Not nice for gaming in the dark though , might be irritating.
jcnba28  +   469d ago
You can't turn it off? How pathetic is that?

Sony change this now.
knifefight  +   472d ago
"Ports in the Front for Easy Access"
Well it worked for miniskirts.
KwietStorm  +   472d ago
Depends on the girl. Ba-zing
#2.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
M-M  +   472d ago
I just hope people have the choice of turning it's features off. For example, when you have low health the light bar starts flashing. Some people don't like that feature.
Foolsjoker  +   472d ago
I think the light bar is fine as is, I only worry about it being too bright for playing horror games in the dark.
CrimsonStar  +   472d ago
Get duct tape . Bam!! Problem fixed .
SecondSon  +   472d ago
The developers of the horror games would take this into consideration and perhaps use the light for greater effect. A red light fading on and off slowly can add just the right mood for a scary scene.
chamber  +   472d ago
from what i know the light bar can change colors to affect the the mood like give a dim red glow on horror games or turn red when you die.
#4.2 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
-Alpha  +   472d ago
Hm, I wonder if glare will be an issue for some. I expect them to patch in the ability to turn off the light eventually. It loses half its appeal without a camera, which most wont buy, and any aesthetic features wouldn't be a necessity.
GreenRanger  +   472d ago
Waste of battery confirmed.
Dee_91  +   472d ago
do u know how little energy a led light uses?
I have a led light in my closet running of a battery for like the past 5 years.. and I took that battery out of my remote
#6.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(29) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Heisenburger  +   472d ago
He said it's a waste, and it absolutely is.

And YOU are correct when you say it is pretty insignificant.

You are both correct.
CrimsonStar  +   472d ago
OH GAWD some one said something slightly negative about Sony . lol if you think a glowing light on anything for a cool look isn't a waste of energy you are delusional.
Dee_91  +   472d ago
He said waste of battery not just waste. I could care less if people think its a waste,it is not a noticeable waste on the battery.
extermin8or  +   471d ago
Waste implies it has no use- but if developers utilise it. like it can be used to show low health etc then it isn't really a waste. Might be something you personally don't care for but that's your opinion doesn't mean it's a waste. And the energy it will use will likely be negligible anyway-hell it could be used to tell you about low battery.
Masterdon   471d ago | Spam
kingPoS  +   472d ago
What of the led indicators in the Dual Shock 3!?

Same difference... right?
mxrider2199  +   472d ago
Its not a waste if it adds a feature that you yourself dont even know if you like it or not (yet).
#6.3 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
fsfsxii  +   472d ago
What worries me is that it might reflect on the TV when playing in the dark, currently having this problem with my PC moniter
RE_L_MAYER  +   472d ago
yeah same thought here but for me its a table with glass doors so its gonna reflect the shit out of it
gamer7804  +   471d ago
alot of off screen demos you can see the blue light on the tv :(
caperjim  +   471d ago
This is what im worried about also. Anyone who tried playing a game with the sun reflecting off the tv will know what it will be like. That blue light is really bright on the controller judging from the press conferences. Not sunlight bright but pretty bright. :)
Angeljuice  +   471d ago
I should hope it isn't sunlight bright, unless it's powered by nuclear fusion.
e-p-ayeaH  +   472d ago
you cant turn it off seriously how lame is that.

They better add an option to turn it off before more people start complaining about it there´s no way that light bar cant be annoying in front of a screen while playing on the dark.
#8 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(18) | Report | Reply
CrimsonStar  +   472d ago
lol shhhhhhhhhhh don't say anything negative about Sony people wont like that here .
e-p-ayeaH  +   472d ago
lol i could care less about them
firelogic  +   472d ago
I suggest you protest by not buying a PS4 until this travesty is remedied.
Wintersun616  +   471d ago
LMAO. Most people didn't catch your sarcasm against the few people who are making this seem like a huge deal breaking problem.

Or at least that's how I see your comment.
firelogic  +   471d ago
@Wintersun616

lol, why am I not surprised. At least 3 people got it though :D
Salooh  +   472d ago
You afraid your momy catch you playing at 1AM ?.
e-p-ayeaH  +   472d ago
wow youre smart s/
#8.3.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
KwietStorm  +   472d ago
We all need to bombard Yoshida about what type of hard drive the system accepts. I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can lookout for deals.
thehitman  +   472d ago
Its 2.5in 99% sure.
KwietStorm  +   472d ago
That doesn't cover everything though.
thehitman  +   472d ago
What else you need to know ? its a 500g 2.5in HD
fsfsxii  +   472d ago
I think he needs to know if it can be upgraded
KwietStorm  +   472d ago
I need to know the acceptable RPM and cache that will cooperate with the system.
My_Outer_Heaven  +   472d ago
Just one USB port on the back would of been nice Sony... I would then have an external media drive constantly plugged in at the back then.
s8anicslayer  +   472d ago
I agree, if you want to plug the camera in it should be in the back that way it doesn't look distracting and like an "add-on".
cee773  +   472d ago
There is A proprietary port on the back of the PS4 just for the camera.

and Btw played with the PS move in the dark I never had A problem with glare on the TV.

The led makes the controller look cooler hell many installed Led's on the Dualshock 3 just to make it look cool the blue Led with the Blue led stripe on the ps4 thats gonna look so cool in the dark.
#10.1.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(2) | Report
slazer101  +   472d ago
The camera does plug into the back. In the aux. port.
My_Outer_Heaven  +   471d ago
Why would you disagree about that having an USB port on the back? Really? Cmon...
mkotechno  +   472d ago
For the Root shake, is just a player number identifier, can you disable red leds in dualshock 3 to save battery?
MeatAbstract  +   472d ago
Hopefully you won't get a blue reflection in the TV screen.
insertnamehurr  +   472d ago
You only get a blue reflection if your tv screen is blank (as if your tv was turned off or when you switch channels and you get a blank image for like 2 seconds), i have a led tv with matte screen and the light in my room is 1000000 times brighter than the DS4 led and it still doesnt reflect on the screen when theres something showing, so, dont worry.
e-p-ayeaH  +   472d ago
not everyone as matte screens you know that right?
#12.1.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
TongkatAli  +   472d ago
The controller looks like its smiling.
Wintersun616  +   471d ago
It looks like a giant friendly crab.
ape007  +   471d ago
LooooooooL
thehitman  +   472d ago
Im only dissapointed with the amount of usb ports. 2 is way too low of a number. I dont know how much space or a hassle it would've been on designing it with 2 more ports but 4 should be a staple no less... The controller I am sure the light wont be that bright probably just bright enough to see that its on and not radiate throughout the room.
nick309  +   472d ago
Get a cheap usb adaptor

On topic i love the ligntbar, playing in the dark never been better
isarai  +   472d ago
just buy a cheap usb hub, they work fine with the playstation ports, used them for both PS3 and PS2 and never had any issues
thehitman  +   472d ago
Ya I probably will I used one with my ps3 and that has 4 ports... I just wish I didnt have to but doesnt make or break me buying a ps4 still have it pre-ordered just my wishes.
isarai  +   472d ago
Trust me that little light is barely using any energy from the battery, it's just an LED bulb which barely uses any electricity, so even if you could turn it off you wouldn't even notice the difference in battery life.
MisfitsInc  +   472d ago
light always on > camera always on
theWB27  +   472d ago
Whatever makes you sleep better about your console of choice. What problem does the camera pose? Especially since you can now game offline..thus not collecting any of the conspiracy theorists secrets.
thehitman  +   472d ago
Not having to be online for gaming doesnt mean you wont be online while you game, which means if the camera is still ALWAYS on it can check in regardless.
#16.1.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(6) | Report
firelogic  +   472d ago
You're actually equating a harmless led light to potential breach of personal privacy? Ok there. Glad we have our logic caps on tonight.
MisfitsInc  +   472d ago
why should be forced to have the Kinect connected at all if every game isn't going to use it? why should i be forced into keeping the Kinect connected if i can navigate the menus with a controller? "low power state" doesn't equal "off". i leave you with this; Options > Requirements
theWB27  +   472d ago
@hitman firelogic misfits
They're recording every keystroke you make..as we speak. Phone calls..purchases with debit cards...the channels you look at on cable.

I doubt you believe Micro when they say it doesn't collect info if you don't agree to it. So why do you go along with everything else in life that collects your info? Not just a gaming matter..serious question.
#16.2 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
MisfitsInc  +   472d ago
okay, that's cool and all, but that's not at all what the discussion was about.
ShwankyShpanky  +   472d ago
False equivalency: look it up. Without going into specifics regarding each of the examples you provided, or the methods to mitigate them, it's still safe to say that equating any of those things to an infra-red facial/voice/biometric -recognition microphone/camera in your living room/bedroom is retarded.
#16.2.2 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report
theWB27  +   472d ago
I shouldn't have directed that question at you since you didn't inquire about what the other two did. My mistake.
WeskerChildReborned  +   472d ago
I don't really mind, if it becomes a problem or something i think they could make a firmware or something in the future.
Relientk77  +   472d ago
Doesn't bother me, it looks cool anyway
swishersweets20031  +   472d ago
the vibrating motors probably suck more juice out of the controller then a LED light.
Doesnt matter to me. Even if it is a problem for some im sure a firmware fix will allow people to have it turn off if they want.
Supermax  +   472d ago
Stop complianing about everything.
azshorty2003  +   472d ago
That is THE reason why the internet was invented. Did you really think it was for communication and educational purposes?
fsfsxii  +   472d ago
I thought of that before going in
RE_L_MAYER  +   472d ago
well that's retarted-what you had enough brain cells to make a share button but not enough to turn of big ass light on controller=DUMB...I hate the new controller anyway,hope they make a third party controller that feels like ps3/ps2 controller
Koyes  +   472d ago
When trying to insult intelligence, please use the correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, otherwise it is yourself that looks 'DUMB'
#21.1 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Tatsuya  +   472d ago
Release the PS4 already! Geez this waiting sucks..
Doesn't matter, that light bar is one of the things that made me fell in love with the DS4 in the first place.
WHAT! wow i was all stoked for the ps4, but im not so sure anymore
edonus  +   472d ago
Let show you what the comments would be like if this was MS controller.

Oh my god...... What a fail. Big a$$ light bar draining my controller and wearing out the battery because they wanted to jam a night light on the front of every controller to work with some thing it doesn't come with because I ain't interested in gimmicks. The are always trying to screw the customer over. Now I will have to buy a new controller just that much faster. I ain't never buying this junk.

End scene.
fsfsxii  +   471d ago
Wow, you sure are paranoid, who mentioned anything about ms???
Butthurt much??
edonus  +   471d ago
I'm just having a little fun.
Sony fanboys get so defensive so quick. You cant say nothing about Sony unless its OMG its tastes so good and smells so sweet and it warms your throat when you swallow (again just having fun) or they start spamming the disagrees.

I actually think the new Ds4 is a huge improvement over the Ds3 and looks really nice.
plsburydoughboy  +   472d ago
sounds like Sony players can look forward to hours of playing with their Dualshocks connected and uselessly lit brightly.
RE_L_MAYER  +   471d ago
Yeah its a stupid move from them-guess im blacktaping that light day one
plsburydoughboy  +   471d ago
My concern is all the squandered battery life, but yeah, if the light will be annoying at least that's a solution to that.
No_Limit  +   472d ago
Com on Sony, at least let the players change the colors of the LED. Some people prefer pink and magenta instead of the boring blue.
llMurcielagoll  +   472d ago
The light bar will not be much of an issue, it won't be very bright that it would disturb you, it is bright enough that you can see its reflection on your fingers close to the L2 and R2 triggers. You wont notice the light bar very much unless you look down to your controller.

This video of drive club preview has a segment where it gets the close up on the controller in action starting 2:15

#27 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Lvl_up_gamer  +   472d ago
Always on huh? Almost seems like sony had some kind of idea placed that the led would always be communicating with some kind of camera device...odd as the ps4 doesnt come with a bundled cam? How very strange...unless sony purposely removed the cam from the bundle to make it cheaper then the xb1 resulting in usless features that wont be utilized like the dunctionality of the led on the controller and playroom feature unless you of course buy the camera...suddenly the price difference is little to nothing.
#28 (Edited 472d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Lunarassassin  +   471d ago
So what you're saying is, Sony only removed the camera to reduce price when it would be cheaper anyway?
Makes sense i guess./s
Edit: can i just add that sony have already said that the camera will work with the controller if you want, one example of this is that in split screen the camera will adjust the order of the screens so they are in the same order as the players.
#28.1 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
RandomDude655  +   471d ago
Still 50 cheaper
redcar121  +   472d ago
the light bar is spying on people
kewlkat007  +   471d ago
Kinda stupid you cant turn it off from the dash or somethingor even dim it..oh well
« 1 2 »

Are Smoke and Kenshi set to Return in Mortal Kombat X?

53m ago - Update: It could also be Ermac, the warrior composed of multiple souls who also has psychokinetic... | PC

XP Earned 14 | Selling Heroines in a Gamergate World

53m ago - 2ndFloorSemantics: I guess it was inevitable that eventually we would have to touch on the whole... | Culture

How Whales Splash The Cash In Mobile Gaming

53m ago - Skewed and Reviewed have posted an opinion piece stating how 1% of mobile gamers or "Whales" acco... | Culture

Black Oni Podcast Ep 32: Gamergate, Delays, and VR, oh my

1h ago - Black Oni Blog discusses the several recent game delays, console sales trajectories, the next ste... | PS4

iCreditCardNow.com

Now - Quickly locate just the right card for you. | Promoted post

Heroes of the Storm: A Sigh of Relief

1h ago - A fresh take on MOBA's courtesy of Blizzard's in-development contribution to the genre: Heroes of... | PC