Submitted by RetroGam3r 541d ago | opinion piece

Final Fantasy VII Gets Released On Steam, Fans Not Happy

Released July 4th Last year, Square Enix finally gave all the fans a Final Fantasy VII HD version. Boasting better graphics, cloud saves, achievements and much more, Gamers flocked to their site to find that the game is exclusive only to their own SE platform. Knowing this information, Gamers still put their cash down and bought the game. Fast forward 12 months and we find Final Fantasy VII released on Steam. Good news for people who dont have the game, But what about the people that bought the game and supported the game just last year? see the response from a SE staff member regarding fans asking for a Steam key. (Final Fantasy VII, PC)

Alternative Sources
Snookies12  +   541d ago
Sweet, now we just need mods so that people can up the resolution and put in better character models lol.
zerocrossing  +   541d ago
Yep, a decent modding is probably as close to an FF-7 remake as we're likely get lol.
#1.1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(42) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
SilentNegotiator  +   540d ago
Haven't any fans taken up the challenge of a remake? I would be shocked if they hadn't.
BluEx610  +   540d ago
@silentnegotiator They released an Unreal Engine 3 fan made tech demo of FF VII remake. You can still download and play like one battle I think. It was pretty good, too bad it seems like it's never going to come out with the full remake.
christian hour  +   541d ago
Don't forget the music, the terrible music! I remember running home in excitement with my FF7 PC copy back in the day (Remember them massive cardboard boxes?!) praying it would run on my win 95 pc, I didn't care to check the spec I just wanted it.

Once I heard the horrible midi I turned it off and booted up the psone version :P

I would love to get this, even though I still have my physical PC copy, my psone copy and a digital copy on PSN, so hopefully someone fixes the music soon :)

Thats all I ask, Nobuo Uematsu's music was an integral part of the series and it's funny albeit coincidental how bad the series has become since his departure (and subsequently of course, Hironobu Sakguchi's departure... thank Glob for Mistwalker :) )
segamon  +   541d ago
a good sound card was necessary to get the most of the midi music. I had a Sound Blaster AWE Gold at that time and it was perfect for the game, with it I was able to hear the vocal version of One Winged Angel. my friends told me they only heard the musical version.
christian hour  +   541d ago
Regardless of sound card though, it still wasnt the same as how it sounded in the original psone version, and thats what I want to hear :)
Reibooi  +   540d ago
If music is your only problem with getting it then you don't have to worry. Someone on the Steam forums made a pack you can switch out the old music and use his new stuff. He used the OST to rip the samples so they actually sound better then the PSone version does since they are highly quality then what was on the disc back then.

But yeah it's on the steam forums and it's really easy to switch them. Took me about 15 seconds once I finished downloading.
XishikiX  +   541d ago
there are, mods a lot with better textures and character models, better music, new shaders. Unless ofcourse you are being sarchastic, then my bad.

I bought it one on their site, I'm not mad. I bought world of goo on its site, and witcher from GOG and I can't activate them on steam. People are being irrational.
#1.3 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   540d ago
PC Exclusive :)
EPiCDiNGO  +   541d ago
I can understand why some would be angry and want the steam version over the SE copy they bought previously.

Related image(s)
Heisenburger  +   541d ago
Because Steam.
raiden-49  +   541d ago
tbh it was bond to go on steam and people are just angry over there own hindsight.
Piegoose  +   541d ago
I don't see how it was bound to. The only Final Fantasy on Steam was that MMO one. Since they released it on their own store, I would actually see that as wanting to make 100% of the profits instead of having to share with Steam.

It's wasn't anything obvious at all. I wanted it on Steam years ago.
matgrowcott  +   540d ago
@Piegoose

It had been in the Steam database for years, and started getting updates at around the same time as the Square version released, including logos.

Not an obvious indicator, but a fairly sure one.
Xof  +   540d ago
The steam version is exactly the same as the SE version, it's still got that stupid-ass Square-Enix Account DRM.
Unlimax  +   541d ago
I wonder Why they didn't do like what Capcom did with RE3 Gamecube port , The Pre-rendered backgrounds in the GC ver looks detailed and has more high quality !

Add to that , you can easily take those high quality Pre-rendered backgrounds from the GC ver and put it on PC for RE3 .. and that's why i'm wondering why Square didn't do that right now .. is it because THEY LOST THEIR DATA FOR FF7 TOO or just being lazy ?

Related video
#3 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
christian hour  +   541d ago
I'd love them to do what they did with the RE1 remake on Gamecube :) Still consider that a great looking game, aged wonderfully if you ask me.

Would love a ff7 remake, but not a page for page remake, mix things around a bit and add in a little more like the RE1 remake :)
NihonjinChick  +   541d ago
Square said a remake would consume too much time and money. So, I wouldn't count on a remake of FF VII anytime soon.
SegataSanshiro  +   541d ago
Remake is my all-time fav Resident evil. it's just a masterpiece, the graphics and models are so high quality. I honestly don't know how they pulled those graphics on the GC.
christian hour  +   541d ago
I know, most games these days still don't have fully dynamic shadows or reflections yet they somehow pulled it off. They nailed the atmosphere, something they havent done with Resi since in my opinion.

If FF7 was to get similar treatment in a remake, I would love it. Anything else would just be a waste of time.

@SegataSanshiro Yeah, Square Enix are too much of a business now, they're no longer the game developers they once were as Squaresoft, the chances of ever seeing quality titles from them again is very slim, although there is still hope with KH3 and FFV13(15?.

The verdicts still out though as to whether they butcher those games or not like they've done with FF this gen.
#3.1.3 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
helghast102  +   541d ago
Whoa, people getting upset over pretty much nothing, again, what's new?
Summons75  +   541d ago
It's ff7 fans, they cry about everything and anything. The reason is they're so closed minded they can't comprehend anything beyond they first time they played the game or they're in such denial that their favorite (and only game in the universe) isn't acually as great as they claim because let's face it....it was good but the sorry and characters were horrid.

Any this is the exact reason a ff7 remake shouldn't be made. The uberfans aka the first people screaming and throwing a fit for one will be the first to cry about one tiny thing that's changed.
Gardenia  +   541d ago
You must be someone who thinks FFXIII is a good game
papashango  +   541d ago
people that bash ff7 are the same people that go on and on about how ff6 is the best game in the series. It's one of those I played Final Fantasy before it was cool hipster trends.
solar  +   541d ago
@ papashango

hey i liked FF6 more :( i couldnt finish FF7. but im not a hipster :) plan on giving FF7 a go again.
Summons75  +   541d ago
Lol at the haters. Yes I did like ff6 more and ff8&9. I also did think 13 was good, not the best but fun and a nice adaptation to ff10's sphere grid and intense combat you actually had to think about but of course I saw the flaws. Ff7 started bad with the characters (your terrorist...because clearly I wanna play as horrible people). The story started good then fell apart at the end of disc one. After that it was whining and mother issues till the end. I do for it credit for great gameplay, music and extras. The game is good but its not "the best evar" like uberfans proclaim.
#4.1.4 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(12) | Report
JoySticksFTW  +   540d ago
So it's impossible to like FFVI without bashing VII?
What?

Whatever man...

FFVI was my favorite, but that does not mean PS1 and PS2 era FF's aren't brilliant also.

It was their sustained greatness through three platforms for me that made FF my favorite franchise at the time.

FFXII hit and I loved the battle system and adult group members (and even Vaan wasn't too bad, though I wished they focused on Basch as was rumored originally), but thought the story was weak.

Then FFXIII and XIV pushed me off the ledge.

Now my favorite series is MGS, with Uncharted, inFamous, and the Demon's/
Dark Souls games coming up fast.

Here's hoping FFXV is a return to the glory days.
smikey1123  +   540d ago
I love how you generalize a group of people negatively. Then when you get it done to you they are "haters". That my friends is ignorance and hypacracy.
Kamikaze135  +   541d ago
I'm happy it's out for those who haven't gotten a chance to play it, but c'mon....MIDI audio? No higher res textures? I know this is a port and all, but all of the ports we've seen this gen have all had some sort of graphical enhancement.

They could have added new textures, new overworld models that match their battle models, maybe an updated script, updated special effects, etc. Nothing major and things they could have easily added. Hell, FFX/X-2 is getting a 30 minute ending exclusive to the remaster with new voice work.
#5 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
firelogic  +   541d ago
What are they upset about? They could have been playing the game for potentially a full year before the steam release. It's not like this version is any different.
FantasyStar  +   541d ago
I think it's a matter of achievements. They probably care. Thus, another dialog on why DRM can be a bad thing at times.
#6.1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
warewolfSS  +   541d ago
I can give everyone what kind of people aren't happy about it ;)
vazurahan  +   541d ago
Dammit! The music is midi
SpideySpeakz  +   541d ago
It's gonna get pirated anyway.
carlocgc  +   541d ago
Steam Workshop pweeeeeease :3
rataranian  +   541d ago
I've had this game since 1997.
kevnb  +   541d ago
Some people complain about everything. So what if you got the game before it came to steam?
jjb1981  +   541d ago
I play it on vita, whateva
TheObserver  +   541d ago
People are angry because the re-release is completely half - assed with crappy MIDI music and built in online DRM for a SP game. No, not steam online DRM, but Square Enix proprietary cloud save BS. You have to log into steam, then log into Square Enix's own system. Twice. That is why people are angry.
kingPoS  +   540d ago
It's one of the many situations where DRM is bad for the customer. No one likes having to deal with a half dozen clients to run their games, it's just not fun.
#14.1 (Edited 540d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
younghavok  +   540d ago
If I buy a game at wal mart should I be able to walk into target and get the same game because I paid for it already at another store? That's kinda what this sounds like to me.
Murad  +   540d ago
That's basically what it is, which is why I'm not going to buy this regardless of how amazing the HD textures are, and I'm going to stick to my Ps1 version that I've had for such a long time.
gamernova  +   540d ago
People seriously feel way too entitled to things lol How are you going to buy a game from one distributor and expect a free copy from another? It's like someone expecting a free copy from origin when making a purchase on steam. Ridiculous.
FaSCoRP  +   540d ago
It is so hard to replace the midi music with mp3 from Nobuo's original soundtrack ?
McGamer  +   540d ago
I'm really tired of all the sense of entitlement these days. Those people who bought the game last year need to get over it. Life goes on.
SegaSaturn669  +   540d ago
FF7 is a fairly easy game, this version is even easier than the vanilla, so I'd avoid it for that purpose. No challenge at all.
Magnus  +   540d ago
Hopefully sales from the PSN and now sales from Steam will show SquareEnix that the fans would like an HD remake of this title
Mr Tretton  +   540d ago
It'll just show them they can release it again on some other platform with little effort and make more money. They want you to rebuy this again and again.
MooseyXTC  +   540d ago
The crappy music was easily replacable, swapped the ogg_music files with looped versions of the PSX counterparts and the game sounds perfect and just like I remembered.
I can't really ask for anything more than that.

Game of the Year: Best PS3 Games of 2014

14m ago - Pusgsquare writes:""t's been a funny year for the PlayStation 3. While the system has received pl... | Culture

Review: Escape Dead Island - Destructoid

16m ago - Destructoid: "In my years as a freelancer and staffer at various videogame outlets, I’ve had the... | PC

Why Are we purchasing Games, Bugged, DLC Ridden and patched to the Extreme?

37m ago - IGC Admin Team - We could go back to the days when consoles where simply consoles and not enterta... | Culture

Kingdom Management Game Yes, Your Grace Kickstarted

52m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Think you're fit to rule? Prove your worth in Yes, Your Grace, a complex kingdom... | PC

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

Capcom Unleashes Some 3DS eShop Sales

52m ago - The North American 3DS eShop has been hit with all sorts of sales over the past several days, and... | 3DS