Submitted by kraideral 658d ago | opinion piece

When will Valve release Half Life 3?

Duuro Mag says: "Everybody knows the story behind the “next” Half Life. Millions of fans are begging Valve to release the next installment in the Half Life series , but Valve keeps its mouth shut. The game has a gigantic fanbase, so why not give fans what they want? When will Valve release the “next” Half Life? But before I try to answer the question, lets see the Odyssey of the “next” Half Life game back when the first rumous started" (Half Life 3, Next-Gen, PC, PS4, Valve, Xbox One)

Neixus  +   658d ago
i don't like how they're giving the fanbase the middle finger. if they're not developing it, they can atleast say so.
Would be miles better to know that it's not coming, instead of waiting for something that will never release.
#1 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
kraideral  +   658d ago
same here, hope they tease something during Gamescom 2013
thorstein  +   658d ago
Valve does not make trilogies. Name one Trilogy they have?

DOTA
DOTA 2
Team Fortress
Team Fortress 2
Half Life
Half Life 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Portal 2

Stop holding your breath. Oh, and I think they will come out with a game and just call it 3, just to eff with us.
3-4-5  +   658d ago
@ thor - The "don't" make trilogies because they HAVEN'T yet.....not because they won't or refuse to or can't

At some point everybody who has made a trilogy, "didn't" make trilogies....until it came time too.

You understand?
thorstein  +   657d ago
345, Who asked? And where does the condescension come from? A lighthearted comment about Valve and their lack of trilogies followed with an obvious reference to how they would give us a game "just to eff with us."

I don't need to /s this because it was too obvious. Where are your comments coming from?

"You understand?" WTF!?!! I am not sure that you understand.
Timesplitter14  +   658d ago
I was upset with this whole situation a long time ago but now I just think it's funny. If they made it clear whether it's coming or not, it wouldn't be fun anymore.

And I still think Valve is up there among the best developpers
#1.2 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kanzes  +   658d ago
Typical Valve. they don't like to hype their product
#1.3 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
sobekflakmonkey  +   658d ago
Uhh, Valve takes a lot of time to make AAA title's, if you just look up the history of HL and HL2 on youtube or something, you'll most likely be able to find interviews and stuff in which Gabe himself says that when they were making half life 1, they worked on it for years, showed it off, then completely scrapped the game and started over from the beginning because they didn't think it was good enough anymore, the same thing happened with half-life 2, and I personally believe the same thing is happening with HL3, I think they maybe got super far into development, saw that it was already being surpassed by other games in terms of graphics and animation and other such things, and probably scrapped it and started over with a new engine in mind.

P.S. He also mentioned that the reason they don't like showing anything off unless they are absolutely finished, is because things change, and they might end up changing their minds, so what you'll see in the end could be completely different.
aliengmr  +   658d ago
That they haven't said anything should be telling enough. Besides its not like the fanbase didn't give them the finger when HL2 was leaked.

They have been working on it. Though it seems to have been put on hold and/or scrapped and re-developed at certain points.

Valve is well aware fans want HL3, and since they haven't said they aren't developing it, its a safe bet they are working on it.

After what happened with the HL2 leak, they aren't taking any chances.
Mr Tretton  +   658d ago
Gabe was asked a few years back on one of the gamertrailers shows if they are working on the next Half Life and he said yeah we're definitely working on it.

I guess no one watched that episode except me because it was never reported as news and I've seen no one talk about it.

No I'm not going to post a link, but you'll have to look through the GTTV archive to find it if it's there. I think it was mostly about Left 4 Dead 2 or Portal 2.

Also, consider that it's likely going to be on a new engine and HL games are long. It takes longer to make long FPS games these days which is why almost no one does it (other than Deus Ex HR). But I think Valve is stepping up to the plate on this one.
#1.6 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kraideral  +   657d ago
I talk about it on the article
Walker  +   658d ago
After the Apocalypse
Prcko  +   658d ago
#3 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kraideral  +   658d ago
this was funny!
jb1276  +   658d ago
I was thinkin it's gonna be the day before never
#4 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Timesplitter14  +   658d ago
When Gabe alligns with the other planets

(jk I love Gabe he's great)
#5 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
weirdo  +   658d ago
nobody cares
JohnDread  +   658d ago
Probably when people stop publishing articles like this one. Seriously, people would be better off just directing their attention elsewhere instead of feeding the troll called Valve. It's been fun for a few years but I grew tired of it. Everytime I see an HL3 article I just sigh in disappointment.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see HL3 like anyone else, but all this fuss is just in vain.
#7 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
nick309  +   658d ago
2029
Deadpool101  +   658d ago
Im not sure if that many people care anymore? Dont get me wrong, if its a great game it will sell well but I think the interest in Half Life 3 is half of what is has been. Kinda like Shenmue 3, loads of folks online say they want it but how many people in the real world are even bothered. Some game sequels should just be allowed to die (Duke Nukem Forever im looking at you)
#9 (Edited 658d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
kraideral  +   658d ago
You are totally right about Duke Nukem Forever but came on, even if they wanted to make Half Life 3 bad, they simply cannot. The game is too good and Valve hasn't released a flop, like never! So it will come, at the right time at the right moment!
Deadpool101  +   658d ago
Granted Valve do not make bad games but I still think they have missed their oppotune moment for release. Dont get me wrong im sure it would be good but can it possibly match the expectations of the hardcore gaming masses? I guess there's only one way we'll find out.
Plagasx  +   658d ago
Hopefully before I die.
aLiEnViSiToR  +   658d ago
It will happened as soon as they learn... TO COUNT TO 3 xD i think they can learn in 299 weeks.
greenlantern2814  +   657d ago
Not sure they ever will. Also I think they missed the point at which hl 3 was highly anticipated. And slipped to the point where people are annoyed and if they don't at least say something soon will get to the no body cares anymore point.
I know they typically like to stay quite but now a days people want information

Mortal Kombat X The Movie – Full Story Mode With Fights 1080p 60 FPS

7m ago - A video which shows off the entire Mortal Kombat X story mode alongside all the fights in one thr... | PC

Star Wars: Battlefront is a celebration of the original trilogy | GamesRadar

13m ago - GR:"In a galaxy far, far away Star Wars: Battlefront has arrived. At this year's Star Wars Celeb... | PC

See what games are coming out in 2015

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2015. | Promoted post

Blizzard is Removing Rift Trials from Diablo 3

20m ago - IGN - Blizzard has begun the process of removing Rift Trials from Diablo III, one of the game's d... | PC

The Order 1886 Photo Mode is Incredible - Video Demo

21m ago - Whilst the game might be lacking in content, the photo mode highlights one splendid looking game... | PS4

No One But You Asks You To Discover Some Secrets

31m ago - Marcus Estrada writes: "Visual novel fans have had it amazingly good over these past few years. N... | PC