Submitted by Filthcardia 464d ago | opinion piece

Expansion of PlayStation Plus a Smart Move?

Sony is expanding PlayStation Plus to be a requirement for online multiplayer. The right idea? (Industry, PS3, PS4, Sony)

yesmynameissumo  +   464d ago
Very. Not only is it a tremendous value, but keeping PS3/Vita play free and needing PS+ for PS4 MP isn't that bad. It was good enough for Microsoft 8yrs, right? It's only $5 a month right? Quit yer bitchin'.

I mean, PS+ member get a PS4 game free at launch (Drive Club). How is that bad?
#1 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
s8anicslayer  +   464d ago
Well lets just hope they keep up with all the free content, as long as that stays no gripes from me.
RiPPn  +   464d ago
Yeah this is what worries me. Now that you have to have it they don't need to entice people to buy it any more. I have a bad feeling about it, hope I'm wrong.
yesmynameissumo  +   464d ago
PS4 PS+ member get a free game a month (or is it 2?). I'm not worried after getting 71 games over the past 2yrs as a PS3 plus member.
Muerte2494  +   464d ago
@RiPPn
95% customer satisfaction. Microsoft cannot say that about xbox LIVE.
Arai  +   464d ago
Got a 1-year subscription some hours ago, there were like 10+ Instant Game Collection (IGC) I could download and play.

In other words Plus paid for itself, those 10+ games are well worth 200-500 USD.
That's without counting all the discounts, full-game trials, early Beta access and whatever else I'm forgetting.
#1.2 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
aksmashh  +   464d ago
$60 a year for 5 years = $300 + console $399 = $699

They should give the console free to us and charge a monthly fee like a phone contract!!!
Xer0_SiN  +   464d ago
that doesnt make sense at all. even with phone companies the top of the line phones are usually 200-300 dollars right off the bat WITH a two year agreement. if you buy it outright its usually 600-700 dollars. so why wold sony give a console for free?
teemo  +   464d ago
Is great for R1/R2/R4(region) countries...
not R3... we getting the worst update of PS+ content and it doesn't even update all the time lol
Destrania  +   464d ago
To put it simply, yes it is.
WolfOfDarkness  +   464d ago
I agree .
WolfOfDarkness  +   464d ago
We are pay ing for free service + free games download + and upgraded PS Network might be better than xbox live it self .

Sony is waiting for this from a long time .
#4 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
AutoCad   464d ago | Bad language | show
WolfOfDarkness  +   464d ago
Ah ! Almost forgot ! We can sell, buy and rent ps4 games ( that real value ! )
#6 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Supermax  +   464d ago
I have no prob with it one bit
Rainstorm81  +   464d ago
I think it was a necessary move...MS made a lot off XBL subs and it helped the system in the long run although its worth was very questionable...

SexyGamerDude  +   464d ago
At lease they are getting rid of online passes for first party games.
Mikelarry  +   464d ago
value is key in this argument over what ms offered. ms offered nothing of value for the xbox live service while sony offers alot of value like games, online cloud saves etc. sony wants to invest in a more robust online service and those things cost alot of money to manage so passing the cost while also adding value to the service for customer is not a bad thing

god i sound like i work for sony's pr for ps plus service
#8.2 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
punisher99  +   464d ago
@Rainstorm81:
"
On a side note see what happens when negative practices get supported. ...they spread "

Which is the reason why Xbox1 needs to be shut down immediately.
Eyesoffiction  +   464d ago
At this point i don't care to pay for online, Sony did us all a huge favor by not fucking up.
#9 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Mikelarry  +   464d ago
i am currently a psplus subscriber before i did get one 2 years ago i was against it, but after seeing what value i got by subscribing i have never looked back. i mean if i was able to afford the xbox live without getting nothing back i mean the ps plus becomes a no brainer
#10 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
pixelsword  +   464d ago
Majin-vegeta  +   464d ago
+ Used games playable
+No check in
+No online passes(1st party wise)
+Not everything is locked behind the PS+ wall
+No DRM

-People think it's a ripoff.
ziggurcat  +   464d ago
the sheer value you get out of a PS+ subscription is well worth it, frankly.

i've saved close to $1,000 in games because of the freebies, and discounts available with the service.
punisher99  +   464d ago
@ziggurcat:
How much is ps plus now for one year?
ziggurcat  +   464d ago
currently it's $49.99 for the year.
STANK08  +   464d ago
One of the key selling points of PS3 was free online. Sony should stick with that.
jonboi24  +   464d ago
It was a financially smart move. Yes people will be piss but Sony laid it out clear to keep PS4 cost down, to keep their services up and running properly, and to integrate Gaikai they needed money. They are giving you good incentives to join that make it totally worth it. Plus they don't hide free apps behind a paywall. Hell you don't even need Plus to play F2P games.
#15 (Edited 464d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
The_KELRaTH  +   464d ago
I feel it would have been better if basic online stayed much as it is now and a full premium version with dedicated servers, full VOIP etc were added to the subscription option - sure most would likely opt for the premium but at least it's a choice rather than a requirement.
ZitterZap  +   464d ago
Charging for online play will enable Sony to provide much needed services like cross game chat and overall improve the PSN network.

XBL is superior to PSN and that was because Microsoft was able to charge for it and invest in it to improve it.

Features like cross game chat require Sony to run their own server for VOIP connections. Someone has to pay for them.
Hadoukameha  +   464d ago
Yeah, someone does need to pay for it. Not us. If I buy a burger from McDonald's, they don't pass the cost of everything from the grills to marketing to me, they just sell me a product at a reasonable price.

Just be upfront with the costs, don't force subscriptions, or any other dirty tricks. Atvleast PS+ is good. It better stay good.
iceman06  +   464d ago
Actually, they kinda do. The price of a McDonald's Big Mac is really not $4-$5. This is why portions are smaller now than ever. Cheaper plastic is used for cups, etc. They CUT expenses to sell you that burger at that price.
I agree that the "forcing" kinda sucks. But, there is the upside of actually getting content plus a service. By content, I mean things that couldn't be gotten for free. PS+ is worth the money, minus the online. If some of the fees are used to pay for better online service AND keep DRM and "checks" off of PS4, I'd say that it is well worth it.
FlyingFoxy  +   464d ago
You buy the consoles for the exclusives, and in this case Wii U and PS4 are best for that.

ziggurcat  +   464d ago
"If you want multiplats get them on PC, free online play, better performance and the games are almost always cheaper than the console version."

but then you have to worry about hardware/software compatibility...
The_KELRaTH  +   464d ago
My PS3 locks up, losses sound and other glitches far far more than my PC. Sure the PC used to have driver incompatibilities etc years ago but these days it's proving the most stable format.
The biggest issue these days isn't with the hardware rather the poor software that's causing problems for PC, PS3, and Xbox.
Livecustoms  +   464d ago
I actually want to pay !, Becuase i know ill be investing in better servers ! Im a 360 player this generation and unlike ps3 players havent had problems with updates or online services. So hopefully this will allow for better servers !
sergsasquatch  +   464d ago
Yes DAMN IT!
Hadoukameha  +   464d ago
@iceman06: Cutting corners is different from passing on expense, it become a matter of quality at that point (which is a seperate debate).

But I agree, PS+ is good. As I said, I better not see laziness though...reduction in the number of games, drop in quality, ect.

The Battle Cats - Tips and Tricks Guide: Hints, Cheats and Strategies

38m ago - WP - "The Battle Cats is a completely bizarre newish tower defense game for the iOS and Android.... | iPhone

Space Engineers: Star Wars Trench Run, Millennium Falcon Mods Added

38m ago - One Angry Gamer "There’s some sexy new mods made available for Space Engineers. I know, I know, t... | PC

Consortium (SteamFirst Review)-Anagram For Cumin Torso. Buy It

39m ago - SteamFirst: Were I to find myself tied up, blindfolded, and had my feet to the fire (and this was... | PC

Star Conflict Review - Mouse n Joypad

39m ago - Rahman writes - "In my last article (BOMB), I stated that there were very few flying games that f... | PC

Celebrate the new TV season with Filmwatch

Now - With the 2014-2015 TV season right around the corner, come join us on Filmwatch as we celebrate and give all you TV lovers something to enjoy! | Promoted post

Xbox One & Xbox 360 – In Stores This Week 22nd September-28th September 2014

40m ago - A look at the games coming out on Xbox 360 and Xbox One this coming week, 22nd-28th September 2014. | Xbox 360