Submitted by Vip3r 405d ago | news

Sony Releasing PS4 In UK And US First Due To “Competitive Pressures”

thesixthaxis writes:

"Sony Computer Entertainment’s President and CEO Andrew House has admitted that the company is releasing the PlayStation 4 in western markets first due to what he called “competitive pressures”, presumably referring to the November release of the Xbox One in the same territories." (E3, Next-Gen, PS4, Sony, Tag Invalid)

« 1 2 »
Majin-vegeta  +   405d ago | Well said
I'm sure all the UK people will be happy about this.
komp  +   405d ago
Oh yes, absolutely.
hakis86  +   404d ago
OMG, What about other western countires, like Norway????!!!

I want it now :( <3
millgate1  +   404d ago
@hakis, I'd say when they say the UK and US, they mean Europe and North America. The PS3 was released on the same day for most of Europe, including Norway. As was the PS2. We can only hope I guess.
ANIALATOR136  +   405d ago
buddymagoo  +   405d ago
Yep!!
bjmartynhak  +   405d ago
Oh yeah man! You're right!
Why o why  +   405d ago
Trus me
Tvensky  +   405d ago
I trust you all!
Megatron316  +   405d ago
please november, make my day come on!!!!
ChozenWoan  +   405d ago
Knowing gaming history, MS will likely release the XBone the 1st week of November. Sony will therefore release the PS4 at least a week before that to a month ahead depending on the supply available to meet their launch pre-order numbers. So October is going to be a great month for Western Gamers.

It is surprising how the tables have turned considering Japan used to get everything 6-12 months before everyone else.
#1.5.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(0) | Report
pimpschitz  +   405d ago
5 months left man. I was waiting for this new age of gaming, I don't know what's next after this gen, this level of graphics is pretty f**king fantastic.
#1.5.2 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(0) | Report
CLOUD1983  +   405d ago
@ChozenWoan Japanese ppl r happy as long they have their 3DS & PSP they don't care so much for consoles as the rest of the world anyway, so that's a smart move from SONY releasing first in EU/US as we don't care as much for handhelds & want our shiny new consoles ASAP to plug them on our shiny +++inch HD screens & start burn our selves with our new SUPER-HD gorgeous games :P
T2  +   404d ago
@chozenw - good point since MS has basically conceded japan, it's a good strategy to flood North America while the going is good.
1Victor  +   404d ago
How About October 31 For The LOL
stuntman_mike  +   405d ago
oh rather, what-what!! jollygood show my man.
Dynasty2021  +   404d ago
Actually, we Brits prefer the more realistic approach of:

"Izzz gonna be sick ya 'ear me bruv, innit, brrrrap-brrrap. Big-up duh PS4 ma-siiiiv boooyyyyeeee."

P.S. the normal Brits don't talk like that, but we seem to be exporting music with a lot of people that DO talk like that.
stuntman_mike  +   404d ago
I,m english from england, so you british can speak how you like innit lol.
#1.6.2 (Edited 404d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
TheTwelve  +   405d ago
US and UK were also the only places where 360 was ahead of PS3 last gen.

"Competitive pressures" indeed..., but Sony is about to take those territories back.

indysurfn  +   405d ago
perfectly said! My exact thoughts, Sony is going for a territory sweep. Instead of them having to worry about Microsoft making inroads in Sony lead territories, they are aggressively attacking territories that Microsoft lead in. Unless Microsoft changes their policies by launch they will lose lots of loyal but not blindly loyal fans. Hopefully xboxfans will not be fooled by a company that is dead set on attacking their ownership rights. Im not. Taking aim at me and shooting and shooting, and realizing they will run out of ammo does not mean I'm going to just say oh well I got away let me back in that situation again. Nope I'm no fool, next time I'm coming back with a gun, and a scope. Fugk Microsoft!
SpinalRemains  +   405d ago
Easy, indysurfn.

The NSA and god knows who else is scrutinizing your words. I'm pretty sure that 'scope and ammo' and possibly 'fck you!' all send up red flags.

J/k of course.
But no really, they might
:-D
pimpschitz  +   405d ago
Couldn't agree more. It's going to b nice watching the tables turn, and I didn't even get a PS3. I have an xbox (well 4 if you count how many times I had to send it back and even with this one the disk drive doesn't even work half the time.
ajax17  +   405d ago
It's too bad there can't just be a global release date.
nnodley  +   405d ago
Has any console had a global release?
Narutone66  +   405d ago
At least you can import it to your country and it will still work. It doesn't have region lock and hopefully, it's not sold out.
pimpschitz  +   405d ago
My issue with PS4 rests on MS shoulders. I am getting a PS4, and can't pre-order right now (financial trouble with the girlfriend). With MS f**king things up, you know how many PS4's are going to fly off of shelves? Millions upon millions worldwide. The demand could be very VERY high.
indysurfn  +   405d ago
good point ajax17 once again proving that Microsoft has done more to sell PS4 and Wiiu more than Sony or Nintendo could possibly do!!!

Dang Microsoft even when you help your enemy you miss up!!! ROFL!
TheLyonKing  +   405d ago
Mate you have nae idea how good that news is
Smoey  +   405d ago
I am :)! We normally get shafted.
Xx-ADITYA-xX  +   405d ago
Yes but we have to pay an extra 90 facking pounds, WTF!
Kran  +   405d ago
Of course. I was super annoyed when the Vita wouldn't come out until a week after US (that is, first edition I mean)
lilbrat23  +   405d ago
I wish they would have given a release date. Gamestop stated Nov. 19th but not sure how accurate that is. I wish it would be end of Oct. :-D
NumOnePS3FanBoy  +   405d ago
Yep my feelings exactly. UK and Europe market are very important for them to not play them off as not being as important as NA or Asia
NobodyImportant  +   405d ago
@Majin-vegeta

We are indeed, my good fellow.
#1.15 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
vigilante_man  +   405d ago
Yes we are. November is a great time to have a BIRTHDAY - Lucky Me!!
Tultras  +   405d ago
They definitely have massive pressure, They can't take their opponent Nintendo lightly.
Acquiescence  +   404d ago
Oh yes, just ever so slightly...
Oh who am I kidding - I'M ECSTATIC!!!

It's June and I already know what I want for Christmas.
Saksoy  +   404d ago
Noice!!
miDnIghtEr20C_SfF  +   404d ago
LMAO, Sony now knows that Japan doesn't matter either! Good for them. It's all about the USA and UK if you want your stuff to be popular.
Majin-vegeta  +   404d ago
Wrong,Sony knows their console will sell in Jappan no matter what.
miDnIghtEr20C_SfF  +   404d ago
Japan is Nintendoland. Sony can't beat Nintendo in Japan. But Sony can beat Nintendo in USA and UK easier that japan.
Kurt Russell  +   404d ago
The sooner the better! (And the sooner I can sit still again)
Merrill  +   404d ago
They're releasing in North America & UK, not the US & UK. CANADA IS NOT THE US!!!
2pacalypsenow  +   405d ago
“allow for an aggressive cost-down strategy” !! that means earlier Price drops that would be great imagine a $299 Ps4 in 2015
angelsx  +   405d ago
dosen't worth it to wait 2-3 years for $100 less.
ChozenWoan  +   405d ago
More likely it will be a $50 discount around E3 2015 or at the latest fall 2015, and every 18 months there after we'll see a $50 discount.

Yes you heard it hear first. lol
#2.2 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
HammadTheBeast  +   405d ago
Yeah.... that's not happening.

The tech behind the PS4 costs them about $300 to make (maybe less depending on what AMD charges in bulk now) so unless they make a slim or parts drastically get cheaper, the price will be around $350 around that time.

Actually I might be wrong $300 is a possibility.
pimpschitz  +   405d ago
To be honest I don't care paying 399 indefinitely, cause they deserve it. That is a CHEAP nextgen console, competing with a console that is 100 more, AND offering the benefits of being on PS+ (free games) is amazing . . . especially considering that PS3 is 299. That's unbelievable, of course I'm getting a PS4 instead of a PS3.
indysurfn  +   405d ago
Not to mention that when this generation (ps4/xbone) ends your console cant be permantly turned off by Microsoft by saying, we see no reason to pay for 300,000 servers. We will turn them off! Good luck playing for your FINAL 24 hours. We are FORCING you into the next generation!!! you have no working console now!!!
kalkano  +   404d ago
@indysurfn

And then they'll rerelease all of your games on the next console, and charge you full price, again.
Moonman  +   405d ago
Sony is just simply on point these days. :)
Shadow Flare  +   405d ago
Never has one company done everything so right and the other done everything so wrong before
TotalHitman  +   405d ago
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill.

God bless Sony!
tigertron  +   405d ago
Niiiiice.

A competitive price AND not neglecting the UK/Europe for other territories.
lucidity  +   405d ago
Sucks for people not in those territories. Would be nice if launches could be truly global.
krontaar  +   405d ago
Luckily PS4 is region free, so importing is an option.
DJMarty  +   405d ago
Not really, PS4 warranty will be invalid, ok for games thou
tarbis  +   405d ago
Not invalid. You'll have to send the hardware back from where you bought it and that's a bitch.
badz149  +   405d ago
I, for one not really care about manufacturer warranty
I live in Malaysia where everything regarding gaming will come VERY VERY LATE!

PSN was only made available for Malaysia in 2010/11 if I recall that one right but I've been on PSN Australia since 2007 even Singapore got it before us. however, PS3 has been sold in my country since launch in US and Japan via unofficial game stores. they import all these products to sell it early in countries like mine but of course for a bit higher price.

the thing is, these unofficial store provide warranty of their own, they call it as Store Warranty which range between 6 mth to a year because obviously manufacturer warranty is void outside the supported country. I prefer this although I never have any problem requiring me to use it before but still, it's a good initiative. have no problem with games before because Malaysia is Region 3 and I don't have to wait for it to come officially as these stores are doing the importing for us.

that was how I got my Vita in December 2011, the same week as Japan's launch while US gamers still had to wait. being region free helps too. I initially use my AUS account but have since moved back to my local account 6 months after I bought it when the Vita section of my local PSN started. if not for region free console, all these would be rendered impossible and I have to wait for it come locally if ever.
monkey nuts  +   405d ago
You have to be joking. The UK is practically the Capitol of Europe. Everyone and their dog want in, that is if their not already here. Free housing, free money, free health care and that's just for immigrants. Bitter me? Naaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.
pimpschitz  +   405d ago
That's an expensive proposition. I hope that MS fans boycott XBO because of their policies, have you guys seen the spreadsheet that shows all the requirements for XBO???? It's outrageous!
R_aVe_N  +   405d ago
Well when you think about is PS4 will have no problem at all selling in Japan. What they have to do is release outside of Japan first to capture that marketshare then release in Japan where they will have very little issues supplying people with product.
SexyGamerDude  +   405d ago
I know that Sony sells in Japan no matter what but I can see this not sitting well with a couple of Japanese gamers.
GenericNameHere  +   405d ago
Mind telling everyone here why the PS4 won't sell in Japan?

Edit: oh, you mean those two Xbox 360 owners in Japan?
#6.1.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report
SexyGamerDude  +   405d ago
What are you talking about GenericNameHere. I'm talking about the PS4 releasing in Japan after the US and UK. I never said it wouldn't sell in Japan. Read my comment again.
dcbronco  +   405d ago
Some will be angry. But I believe the Japanese gamers will understand. It just makes sense. But it's does say something about all the silly MS being months behind stuff. If they can release in 21 territories day one, they must have had their machine done some time ago.
a_bro  +   405d ago
Release in Japan without games that Interest Japanese gamers? Sony is playing it right. The games the ps4 is launching with is western focused. Plus these 2 territories are places were sony had difficulty with this gen.

Besides, I'm 100% certain that there's no interest in the Xbox one over there, especially with the drm stuff that's being reported right now. Oh, and it's not even launching there this year.
GreenRanger  +   405d ago
Which console is releasing first? PS4 or Xbox One?
#7 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
lucaskeller1  +   405d ago
Microsoft have stated this coming november and Sony mentioned this holiday fall, thats all we know so far I think
#7.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
brianunfried  +   405d ago
I'm guessing Sony is planning to release the PS4 slightly before Xbox One, that's why it's listed for release Holidays 2013.
josephayal  +   405d ago
This is how companies work in this capitalistic world
tuglu_pati  +   405d ago
Smart
EzioFan  +   405d ago
Yeah, but the Xbox One will launch in Asia in 2014. And that's not even in the first few months.
cleft5  +   405d ago
They could launch Day 1 in Asia and it still wouldn't sell well. Xbox One is heavily geared towards the US. The problem is that Sony undercut them by $100. All Sony needs to do is keep Microsoft market share low initially, once the masses realizes games don't work they way they always did on the Xbox One Microsoft is going to be relegated to second place, if not third place. Nintendo E3 Direct was very safe, but it will sell that console well.

This whole situation is one major miscalculation on Microsoft's part. How can they have messed up this bad? CoD will float them for a bit, but Microsoft actually expects people to use the Kinect to talk to other people. That is going to hurt them big time and most people will still be playing CoD predominantly on the 360. If Sony secures first rights to the next CoD game dlc, the actual next gen one, Microsoft is going to be in for a major hurting.
#11.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SpinalRemains  +   405d ago
I would agree, but SONY usually doesn't operate that way.

What theyre going to do instead I think, is try to find the next COD and leave Xbone out in the cold.

Perhaps one of their superb 1st party studios could find that special gem and bring it to life.

All games have highs and lows and then we move on.
COD cannot give MS new life
. It will only delay the inevitable.

Maybe Naughty Dog is secretly working on the secretly amazing next multiplayer blockbuster?

I wouldn't doubt it if they're all brainstorming it anyway.
#11.1.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
tarbis  +   404d ago
Xbone will launch 1 yr after the western launch. So, it will be in November 2014. Before they can even launch it I'm sure Sony would have launched PS4 in the first half or quarter of 2014 in Japan and Asia.
SnakeShady  +   405d ago
When they say UK...they mean other countries in Europe or just UK?
GreenRanger  +   405d ago
It's all countries in Europe.
Mikelarry  +   405d ago
hey hey sony dont pull this stunt ( i live in the uk) this was what happened that made me get my xbox 360 al though i had a good time and met some cool people that have become close friends with in real life. some ps4 prospective user might jump ship unless the they are not on MS list of countries the xbox 1 will work in. don't give ms any room to make a come back
#13 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
byeGollum  +   405d ago
nice!
Death  +   405d ago
Funny how Microsoft was evil yesterday for the exact same launch strategy and today Sony is smart...
FullMetalTech  +   405d ago
Well at least the PS4 is region free. All they need to do is import one from the other regions. And the fact it can be played when you get it. Cant say the same for the Xb1.
#15.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SexyGamerDude  +   405d ago
You can have them imported so this wouldn't be a problem. The xboxone is only supported in a few countries at launch.
Thegamer41  +   405d ago
That article was stating where the Xbox One will 'work' at launch since its not region free and the online check in, anyone can just import a PS4 at launch and play it in any country.
C0MPUT3R  +   405d ago
The difference is the Xbone is Super Region Locked it won't work outside of the 21 countries it is releasing in.
The PS4 will work anywhere in the world and is region free. so you can IMPORT the PS4.
PiperMCFierceson  +   405d ago
Your insane . it was evil because they knew it was defected and still sold it to turn a profit before the competition had a chance to .
#15.5 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Death  +   405d ago
I got ya. They are wrong for not allowing importing to countries where there is no warranty or support and price gouging is required. I feel very fortunate that I live in a country that is supported by all consoles and genuinely feel for those outside these regions. I do believe that everyone should have access to these same things, but understand there are still countries in this world without basic neccessities like running clean water, food and basic medical care. Human rights are also kind of nice to have. If Sony's third parties adopt DRM, importing may become complicated. I would assume as long as unsupported countries that import have access to PSN it won't be as much an issue though.
Why o why  +   405d ago
Funny how you cant see the difference between something working across the globe but not being a global release vs something that wont work across the globe PLUS wont be released globally...importing isn't prohibited on the ps4 neither are the games as they're not region locked.

These last couple weeks musta been torture for ya death...Ar well, at least you can make passagg comments on ps articles every now and again to raise your spirits. Lol

I think sony are doing this because they know the us and uk in particular were tough battle grounds where early leads mattered more than most other regions. Call it fear, prudence or just smart... Not the best thing for consumers in a world where many things have global releases in terms of media but I think the ratio of ps3's to x360s could be the region
#15.7 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Why o why  +   405d ago
......reason*
Death  +   405d ago
I see the difference. I don't see anything concrete to say the PS4 won't have import issues though. Sony didn't confirm DRM isn't going to happen. They said they have no plans of it and its up to third parties to want it. If someone imports a PS4 and DRM gets implimented, how are these games going to be activated without the proper access needed? Call me a skeptic, but I'll wait and see before passing judgement on the issue.
aiBreeze  +   405d ago
Isn't that a bit harsh on other countries? Assuming he meant just UK and not EU.. isn't Europe one of the Playstation's biggest supporters outside of the UK? Not that I'm complaining too much as I'm from the UK but Sony shouldn't dismiss the countries most loyal to their brand because they're worried about the countries competitive merit.
SniperControl  +   405d ago
Usa and the UK are Xbox's best selling territories, makes sense to release there first.
Caffo01  +   405d ago
That's a bit disappointing for countries that actually supported the ps brand.. I know it's a strategic move but it's not so fair to release the ps4 to competition countries before your supporters..
#16.1.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Gravitic  +   404d ago
UK has the biggest gaming market in Europe because we are godly. The French second. Just the way it should be :D
WeMilk   404d ago | Spam
Gravitic  +   404d ago
Is this an Amerifat speaking?
Caffo01  +   405d ago
I really hope it's Europe and not only UK..
Games4ever  +   405d ago
Agree.

If not? then get it on amazon uk :-)
Caffo01  +   405d ago
I agree but i preordered on amazon Italy and probably by the time i know about european delay the first batch of uk ps4 will be sold out :-(
#17.1.1 (Edited 405d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
thrust  +   405d ago
Which consoles comes first I will get and then save up for the next one
ecstaticpunk  +   405d ago
Preordered two this morning cannot wait!
Campy da Camper  +   405d ago
You might want to hurry. Amazon is selling out...like yesterday!
Angeljuice  +   405d ago
It is Europe, the article says Europe. Only the headline says UK, it isn't mentioned in the article. I wish people would read things before they comment.
JewyMcJew  +   405d ago
Fortunately, "US" usually means "US and Canada, eh".
Wohoo!
ziggurcat  +   405d ago
i certainly hope so. pre-ordered mine from EB online as soon as i got the e-mail notification. it says the shipping date is december 1.
cell989  +   405d ago
awesome news for UK people, they always get consoles months after its released in US and Japan, this time around we'll all be gaming NEX-GEN at the same time, sorry for Japan, but for once they wont get something first
What about Canada?
ScepticTankAvenger  +   405d ago
I'm pretty sure it will release in October. A lot of third party games are scheduled for release in October, so I'm pretty sure Sony will take advantage of the early time frame, before the XBone November release.
kaozgamer  +   405d ago
what about Australia? are we gonna get screwed over again?
WeMilk   404d ago | Spam
TBONEJF  +   405d ago
Bout damn time. Its always Japan get their first which i understand. but if they WANT THEIR SALES they have too RELEASE IT WORLD WIDE. Com on Sony
tonylionedo  +   405d ago
europe is important for sony
Mister_G  +   405d ago
Wow! Japan doesn't get it first? Amazing (for the west)! :D
Gravitic  +   404d ago
Erm, Japans market is much smaller and far far less competitive with Sony dominance, makes complete sense.
greedybear88  +   405d ago
Yey :D (I live in the UK)
vigilante_man  +   405d ago
Guess they really are learning from past mistakes..

Did I mention my Birthday is in November?
« 1 2 »

Tales Of Zestiria New Screenshots Showcase Characters, Exploration, Battles And More

23m ago - A new batch of screenshots is now available for Tales Of Zestiria, showcasing characters, locatio... | PS3

Quick Look: Habitat

24m ago - Justin from Pixel Gate writes: A few days back I got the chance to sit down with a wonderful l... | PC

SpeedRunners Offline Demo Available on Super Legitimate Website (Hint: It’s Not Pirate Bay)

24m ago - DoubleDutch Games, who has been monitoring pirating communities, puts SpeedRunners on Pirate Bay... | PC

Level-Start 21: Doom 4 The Win

24m ago - "Exciting times are coming. Doom 4 is on deck, and we discuss. T-42 looks further at Quake Con, a... | PC

Study Game Design at DeVry

Will Megaman Live On Within Mighty #9

24m ago - We all know that Megamn is coming to the new Smash game but it's been awhile since we seen our be... | PC