Submitted by Pozzle 852d ago | article

Why Some in Japan Aren't Thrilled with Final Fantasy XV's Setting

As the game's trailer states, Final Fantasy XV is a fantasy based on reality. A select group of Japanese gamers don't exactly seem thrilled with that. (Final Fantasy XV, PS4, Xbox One)

King-Prodigy-X  +   852d ago
Shutup Kotaku
zeal0us  +   852d ago
Let me guess you didn't even bother reading the article. Soon you saw that the story was coming from Kotaku you thought it would be cool to jump on the Kotaku hate wagon.

Man it some Japanese people will complain about every little thing. SE you can't please everyone so just keep it moving.
#1.1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
King-Prodigy-X  +   852d ago
No, I read it and it's a stupid pointless article.
SegaSaturn669   852d ago | Off topic | show
ShugaCane  +   852d ago
I personally love the setting and the art direction, it reminds me of Advent Children, which is awesome in my opinion.
Toon_Link  +   852d ago
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I also thought the combat was similar to the action sequences from advent children which is awesome to me I love that movie!
j-blaze  +   852d ago
whoa i'm kinda surprised by that, the game mixes reality "japan which i love so much and other countries maybe" and fantasy
hell, japan is Fantasy, i have no problem if the whole game was set there lol
Puppy_Farts  +   852d ago
Personally, I completely love the fact that the setting is semi-realistic, it may produce a more mature story than XIII. I've always thought each Final Fantasy iteration is an opportunity for the developers to do something *new*. which I'm fine with! Then again, I've been following this game from the start, so I just reaaaally want to get my hands on it!
The Great Melon  +   852d ago
I have the same sentiment. The art style and atmosphere caught my attention way back when they first showed FFvXIII. I thought that FFvXIII would be a breath of fresh air for the franchise with its different gameplay and setting while still retaining core epicness that Final Fantasies strive to present the gamer.

Also, while I haven't finished FFXIII (yes, I know I'm not terribly informed), I want to strangle Vanille anytime I hear her speak. It's one thing for pixelated 2D sprites to talk in such ways, but it entirely different story when you strive for photo-realism. This isn't to say that some of the innocence that games had is lost when they move better graphics. Kingdom Hearts still makes perfect sense with such themes as Sora fits that universe.
#4.1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Puppy_Farts  +   852d ago
Yup, totally agree. I'm all about stories, especially in JRPG's. If the setting is any idea of what the story could potentially be, I really think it's a great direction. I never finished XIII either, so don't feel too bad. :)
Snookies12  +   852d ago
Just to let you know, I hated Vanille at first too, but there's a reason she's always so "happy/carefree". Her character really becomes more defined once you reach a certain part in the story. Once you learn her past, things become more clear.

The XIII games were alright, pretty great RPGs. Just not up to the level a Final Fantasy title should be. Cannot wait for FFXV though, don't care what anyone says. That game looks gorgeous, and with the promise of pilot-able airships making a return which we haven't seen since 9. I'm ecstatic to get my hands on that game.
#4.1.2 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report
The Great Melon  +   852d ago

It's nice to hear that they develop the character some later in the game. I'll surely pick up FFXIII sometime again in the future when work (and my mindless waste of time on N4G =P) doesn't prevent me from enjoying some nice long RPGs.
#4.1.3 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Harkins1721  +   852d ago
Godmars290  +   852d ago
Is a bit odd that some are complaining about it being too "real".

Lot more are having issues that its coming off more as an action game.

Actually, I do too, but given the current condition and mentality Square has proven itself to be in...meh?

The Square fan in died - was murdered by them - long, long ago. Though its mournful spirit lingers.
#6 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Pug  +   852d ago
I'd like it a little less real to be honest but my biggest issue with the trailer is it felt like I was watching a DMC trailer not FF. I'm really not sure on the direction there going. Is it too much these days to ask for a classic turn based FF?

Ni No Kuni did a great job of staying pretty true to the roots of JPRG and sold well...it can be done!!!
squallheart  +   852d ago
I agree. The trailer looked amazing and what they are trying to achieve i applaud them. I hate how square has treated its fan base. Making us wait this long then having it go multi. Im on the fence on this game not because its multi, but because of the battle system. Never was a fan of it in kingdom hearts and now they are using it for this game. Theres no challenge hell i beat kh and crisis core just with one button. Summons and magic don't play a major roll like the old games.
-Gespenst-  +   852d ago
Interesting read. Makes a ton of sense though.
wishingW3L  +   852d ago
I love these settings. It's like Square's version of the cyberpunk genre. You see elements from modern times (building and streets), you see sci-fi(airships) but people still fight with swords. ;)

Japan are complaining because the main characters look like hosts and you know they prefer 2D anime styles.

#8 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Pozzle  +   852d ago
I don't think they look as...um...fake as most hosts, tbh.
Noctis and Co. look like fairly average (albeit very good looking) Japanese guys imo. A lot of younger Japanese men pay attention to fashion/hair trends so that might be where the inspiration for the character designs came from. E.G...

http://www.flickr.com/photo... (on the right)

I really like that about the character designs in FFXV. They look like they could be real people. It reminds me of FFVIII's more realistic style (which I also really liked).
#8.1 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JackVagina  +   852d ago
who the f*ck cares?
rhap  +   852d ago
Who said SE develops games for Japan anyway? They probably want to release a Call of Fantasy or Finalfield with Barret, Cid, Vincent, Mustadio, Irvine and everyone else for a FPS game.

Unfortunately, Square is past it's prime.
mitchell1188  +   852d ago
I have every RPG under the sun and I freakin LOVE jrpgs but I wanted this game to have action that pushed the next gen console and judging from the preview shown this game is gonna be exactly what I've been wanting for years. SE will make more ff and I'll bet my life that there will be more RPG style games of the series so enjoy the new change and try it out before you make your complaints.
#11 (Edited 852d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Roper316  +   852d ago
If SE loses their home market due to them continually westernizing the JRPG's I think they are in a whole lot more trouble then they currently are.

They should let their Eidos acquisitions do the appealing to the western people & let their internal SE studios stick to the eastern style games. That way they would be more appealing to both markets imho.
Pozzle  +   852d ago
I don't think a handful of comments from a Japanese message board is any indication that they are losing their home market. If anything, the people at the source are complaining the game is TOO Japanese.
Hadoukameha  +   852d ago
lol no, it's a western style boring bang bang slash slash.
Nate-Dog  +   852d ago
Hey guys! This game and its areas were first shown off about 5 years ago. You probably should have started complaining then.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song – Interview with Yosuke Futami at NYCC 2015 - The Koalition

6m ago - We had the chance to sit down with Producer Yosuke Futami at New York Comic Con 2015 and talk abo... | PS4

VR vs. PlayStation VR’s Possible New Input – Are New Controllers on the Way?

6m ago - VRFocus delivers another entry in its weekly 'VR vs.' series, this time looking at the PlayStatio... | PS4

MoreConsole takes on Destiny: The Taken King

Now - MoreConsole's rag-tag band of guardians finally make it to the Oryx's ship...but can they make it out alive? | Promoted post

Top 10 Bromances in Gaming

7m ago - Bromances are defined by an intense, loving relationship between men that is not sexual(much to t... | Culture

New Toybox Trailer Shows Oculus Touch's Capabilities

13m ago - VRFocus reports on the reveal of a new trailer for Oculus VR's Toybox tech demo for the Oculus To... | PC

Minecraft: Story Mode Episode One--The Order of the Stone Review | Gamespot

35m ago - Gamespot: Narratives set within the universe of Minecraft aren't exactly new. A quick search on... | PC