Submitted by Grateful Ghoul 815d ago | opinion piece

Which Next-Gen Platform and Why?

Staff at This Is My Joystick discuss which next generation console they will be buying and why.

Will it be PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, or a shiny upgraded PC? Or has it just all become too much for us, resulting in us being quietly retired to a spot by the sea in Bournemouth? (PS4, Wii U, Xbox One)

MNGamer-N  +   815d ago
WiiU/3DS + PS4/Vita would be the dream combo... I am going to be hurt and saddened if Sony decides to follow suit with the DRM issues. Then I think I might stick with my WiiU. I LOVE owning physical copes of my games.
#1 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Tiqila  +   815d ago
i swear to got i will buy a wii u iff sony goes drm!
urwifeminder  +   815d ago
Pc is a beast all I need now is xboxone and a wii u and I am covered.
SpinalRemains  +   815d ago
In digital diarrhea.

FTFY
NameRemoved0017  +   815d ago
PC games like crysis 1 from 2007 look better than brand new console games.
MichaelLito79  +   815d ago
Xbox has always had a better online and the blockbuster games that I want. Xbox One on day one and the other consoles later.
#3 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(19) | Report | Reply
loulou  +   815d ago
if m$ dont show too many kinect games tomorrow, then i will buy both before the year is out.. both day 1 actually
oscarcat59  +   815d ago
xbox one to me looks more interesting because of the Kinect,media playing ablility and the type of games I like to play. Then the ps4 if I see enough games I would enjoy. the wwi-u at this time does not interest me.
Captain Qwark 9  +   815d ago
Same here. X1 day 1 for me too. Then ps4 early next year. Having a 360/ps3 did me well for many years. No reason not to get both again but I still prefer my Xbox and I dint see that changing for next Gen either so x1 is first.

plus I think the x1 looks awesome and im not really bothered by the drm as long as they don't have many connection issues and just in case something goes out with my internet I am able to go through my phone still
gtxgamer2  +   815d ago
PS4!! Can't wait
GodGinrai  +   815d ago
PSXBoneU

Edit: will play the odd pc game that involves mechs! lol
#6 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
rextraordinaire  +   815d ago
PS4 will probably have the most games I want, next to the 3DS and the Vita.

I'm a JRPG guy, and Xbox never was and never will be the console to go for that.
skydragoonity  +   815d ago
I'm a gamer so ps4 for me
What console? Playstation 4.

Why? inFAMOUS: Second Son. Knack. Killzone Shadowfall. Driveclub. Diablo III. PlanetSide 2. Watch Dogs. The Witness. The Evil Within. Battlefield 4. DC Universe Online. SSM's new Ip.. *catches breath* Sucker Punch. Santa Monica Studio. San Diego Studio. Naughty Dog 1. Naughty Dog 2. Foster City Studio. Bend Studio. Polyphony Digital. Japan Studio. Media Molecule. London Studio... No 24 hour check-in. No camera fixed on recognising my specific face and ready to listen to my specific voice the ENTIRE TIME. THAT, is why.
#9 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
flipflopfacts  +   815d ago
Xbone:

Halo and Forza.

Trololol xD
Broburger  +   815d ago
PC, PS4 and Wii U
HALOisKING  +   815d ago
xbox one cuz its the best one to get for online
Porcelain_Chicken  +   815d ago
Haha xDDDDDDDD What is this? 2007? GTFO here xD
Sincere0121  +   815d ago
Wii U purely because of better games and not relying on gimmicky graphics and focusing more on the gameplay and no DRM, and i'm able to buy and play used games for free and don't get charged for playing on online.
Wii U is for the True Gamers, the other 2 consoles are for kids who really don't no anything about gaming as their mentality is Better Graphics = Best console. lol smh
#12 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
rextraordinaire  +   815d ago
Wait what? You're saying that Ni No Kuni, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Borderlands, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Catherine, Little Big Planet, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Star Ocean, Valkyria Chronicles and so many more were not core games but only displays of pretty imagery?

You, sir, need to stop trolling. 8-)
tbon3man  +   815d ago
lay off the meth son!!!
StockpileTom  +   815d ago
Gameplay trumps graphics for me anytime... but Nintendo doesn't have anything going for them outside of their 1st party games and their clunky/gimmicky hardware interface. Nintendo's focus clearly changed with the Wii and that's why I jumped ship after NGC...

Top of the line graphics shouldn't be the focus as it drives development costs sky high with little room for good game design... graphically I really don't think it makes sense to design games at this point in time with graphics much better than Dark Souls... But hey, if they can pull it off and still have great gameplay hell yeah!
Sincere0121  +   814d ago
Assassins Creed 3 & 4, Batman,
Call of Duty, Need for speed, fast and furious, Lego City undercover, Injustice Gods among us, Tekken Tag, Sonic All star racing, Resident Evil, The Walking dead, Rayman Legends, Watch dogs, Lego Marvel Super Heros, Mass Effect, Gta 5 (possibility)
Thats just off the top of my head, missed loads.
I really don't understand when people think Wii U only have first party titles.
StockpileTom  +   814d ago
Not saying they aren't there but they don't compel me to buy the system and put up with their hardware interface that those games weren't initially designed for.
mcstorm  +   815d ago
Its all 3 for me.
hollabox  +   815d ago
I say both, I always buy multiple platforms per generation with the exception of Nintendo consoles starting with the Wii. Its stupid not to buy multiple platforms, you miss out on great 1st party exclusives that you otherwise can't play buying one platform per generation. Current consoles PS3 slim, Xbox Slim, very high end 6 core CPU with Samsung SSD drive and a crash prone Nvidia GTX 670.
MysticStrummer  +   815d ago
PS4 me.

Sony's exclusives appeal to me more than Microsoft's or Nintendo's
Always liked PS's controller better than XBox's
Buying a game and then renting the online part from MS just ain't ever gonna happen
Don't watch traditional TV at all so the One's TV functions are worthless to me
Prefer not having to be connected online*
Prefer having the whole game on the disc I buy and not having mandatory full installs
7GB GDDR5 after OS > 5GB DDR3 after OS
PS4 GPU > One GPU

You may notice that the more tech related PS4 advantages are at the bottom of the list. Better tech is nice, but it's only the icing on the cake made of games I enjoy.

*Besides having spotty internet at times, I'd like to be able to travel with my PS4, or move it to another room, and not need a connection to play. Also, what MS is doing with the online checks regarding used games is amazing to me, and not in a good way. I sincerely hope Sony has a better solution. Since PS4 won't require an internet connection to play games, it can't possibly use the same system as the One, but if Sony does come up with something similar somehow, the Wii U will suddenly be much more appealing to me.
#15 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
millzy102  +   815d ago
already own wii u, psvita and 3ds, Getting ps4 on launch (pre ordered already) not interested in the Xbox 1, which is a shame because this will be the first gen since the 3rd (real 3rd gen not ea gen bollucks) that I haven't owned all major consoles but there is nothing going for it and I hate microsft business strategy not even going to talk about kinnect 2.
#16 (Edited 815d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
hazardman  +   815d ago
Where can you pre order. Ive been waiting to get some confirmation email from gamestop.
ShaunCameron  +   815d ago
Wii U. I'm getting out of gaming the same way I got into gaming. By "leaving luck to Heaven."

The Great Ace Attorney 'Not Intended' For Western Release

7m ago - A day after Ace Attorney 6 was announced, Shacknews has learned The Great Ace Attorney's Western... | 3DS

Tearaway Unfolded Review: A breathtaking adventure | GameZone

10m ago - GameZone: "What Media Molecule does well with Tearaway Unfolded's gameplay is avoid the gimmicks.... | PS4

Top 5 Movies To See This Month

Now - The month of September has Johnny Depp portraying an enraged criminal, a group of climbers trying to make it home safely, and the return of the sur... | Promoted post

What Makes a Great Open World Game? - The Lobby

10m ago - Gamespot: 2015 has been a wonderful year for open world games. Justin Haywald & Peter Brown jo... | Dev

Mega Man Legacy Collection Review (Xbox Enthusiast)

11m ago - Andrew Gonzalez from Xbox Enthusiast writes: "If there was anything I learned throughout my time... | PS4

How Fallout 4 has changed the game: new perk system, skills and SPECIAL

13m ago - TweakTown's Derek Strickland breaks down the key changes that may be coming in Fallout 4, includi... | PC