Submitted by KMxRetro 675d ago | opinion piece

Five Things Microsoft Got Right at the Xbox One Reveal

The Xbox One Reveal was not to everyone’s tastes. OK. It wasn’t to the majority of people’s tastes. Despite the chortling at the name, the look of the console, the fact that Kinect needs to be connected at all times, and that playing a preowned game will cost you more than it used to, we’re convinced that Microsoft did at least a few things right. (Xbox One)

stage88  +   675d ago
Compared to all the things they got wrong, this doesn't seem so great.
Prcko  +   675d ago
true ,m8
fr0sty  +   675d ago
1. they showed up on time
2. they remembered to put their clothes on
3. they invited members of the press
4. they put up a big tent
5. they had flashy lighting and video production.

from there it was all downhill.
pop-voxuli  +   675d ago
Thats a damn fine list!!!
OpieWinston  +   675d ago
I must agree, they did get the stuff that no one would like out of the way.
Several Microsoft representatives in Q&As have already said that Games is their primary focus at E3.
15 Exclusives, 8 Brand new franchises by the end of the year?

I already know I'm getting disagrees for agreeing with anything positive about Xbox One.

One thing I'd add is...Controller is Sexy!

Hope they focus on exclusives at E3. And I'm glad Ryse isn't a Kinect only game "Controller based with kinect features"...Works for me.

I do like Playstation but was more of a fan back in PS1 & PS2 days. PS3 disappointed me, hoping PS4 goes back to some of their epic Franchises.
forcefullpower  +   675d ago
I agree PS3 controller triggers where bad but I still find the controller better over longer periods. But I do like the xbox as I use it for the PC.

I think if you never picked up a ps3 you have missed out on a lot over the last 7 years.

I will believe it when I see it with their 8 new franchises. I have a hard time dealing with the fact they have 15 games coming out. It would have been more believable if they had just said they had a bout 9 games coming out.
Foxgod  +   675d ago
Well, some of them already have been revealed, New Forza, Ryse, Quantum Break, New crackdown.

And obviously Rare, Lionhead and 343 also have something down the pipeline.

So thats already half of the 15 exclusives covered, and none of them are casual games or live games.
And those games are the sole reason i buy a console.
#2.1.1 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(8) | Report
forcefullpower  +   675d ago
Alan Wake was my favourite on xbox so was definitely interested in Quantum Break. Sorry I don't like rare stuff and lion head burnt me on fable 2 so will be careful with them from now on plus Molyneux pisses me off. Not played Halo 4 yet but I do like the series. Forza is just an arcade racer so not interested. Drive Club on the other hand makes heart pump just watching the PS4 event for it that GT has not done in a long time.
Foxgod  +   675d ago
Molyneux doest work for MS and Lionhead anymore.
He works for 22cans now, Who are working on Godus, a Popolous sucsessor.
#2.1.3 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
forcefullpower  +   675d ago
Populous brings back so many memories of the Amiga and me and my best mate doing link up with speed racer at his house. Man such memories.
OpieWinston  +   675d ago
I did pick up a PS3...But it wasn't the same experience as the PS1 and PS2 for me, a lot of the games seemed overrated TO ME.

There's nothing very innovative about the Playstation controllers, the only thing I see a Playstation controller being useful is when you're playing a fighting game.

(MY OPINION, Disagrees INC).
Bigpappy  +   675d ago
I am kind of glad there is so much negative chatter on the internet against the new Xbox. I think it is enough to get M$ attention. This keeps them on their heals a bit and ensures that they try to give gamers a better deal.

But with that said, I do like some of the features and the improvements they made to Kinect and the controller.

I am excited to see Sony and M$ put on their shows at E3, then watch the build up to the holidays. The final result of who did the best job, will be based on SALES. I know most of you think that is irrelevant, but you are just wrong or seriously misinformed.
Foxgod  +   675d ago
I am not very interested in the non game features, i am simply getting the xb1 for the games.

Remedy, Rare, Lionhead, Turn10 are the developers that made me interested in the xbox 360, and they are still around for the Xb1.
So i dont really see much problems with the X1, after all, they will keep delivering the games.

But yeah, i agree on those 5 points, especially the getting the bad news out early part.
It will make people look at E3 a lot more positive if its about the games only.
#3 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
Angeljuice  +   675d ago
I can't get over the fact that they expect to sell over 1bn of these boxes this gen. If they really expect those kind of sales figures why design the box in a lunch break and not have any fixed policies ready for the reveal?

It all seems a little half-arsed for something they have put such huge expectations on.
#4 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
forcefullpower  +   675d ago
I think they where saying that they have invested 1 billion into games for the this gen. Problem with that is they spend 500 million in just marketing Kinect. That could mean they spent 50 million on 10 different games if you include marketing.
Angeljuice  +   675d ago
That's not the point I was talking about. They have recently said that they expect to sell 1bn Xbone's this generation!!!
forcefullpower  +   675d ago
I found the article you where talking about and they talking shite. 30% capacity increase each year is just ludicrous. They just added all three consoles together and got 100 millions from each and then predicted from there 300 million plus the 30% increase.

This will not happen as probably quite a percentage had both consoles and a shit load of about 60 to 70 million people bought the wii because of wii bowling and wii fit. That will never buy a console ever again. Even my mum asked if she should by a wii. Never heard that in the last 35 year of me gaming.

There is a market of around 140 to 180 millions consoles to be sold each year across all three. There maybe an increase of about 10 to 15 % each year at most. Not trying to be rude bud just dont thing its going to be true
Zcarnut  +   675d ago
I think a billion is a hugely optomistic. That would be one console for every 7 people on Earth or almost half of everyone with internet on Earth owning a Xbox.
#4.2 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Foxgod  +   675d ago
The billion was just an example as a reaction to what analysts said.

Analysts calculated that 300 to 400 million consoles could be sold this gen, MS reacted by saying if consoles could do that, then the xb1 should be able to do a billion, as they claim its more then just a console.
#4.3 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Zcarnut  +   675d ago
OK..That makes alot more sense then. Thanks.
SexyGamerDude  +   675d ago
The scars, the arm hairs, the rocket science, the transistors, and the dogs!!!

Just kidding. I was severely disappointed. I was so exited at the begining that I was practically glowing and Microsoft ruined that. I lost all faith in MS. Unless they change their policies and wow me at E3, the One is a no buy.
Edward75  +   675d ago
To me (I'm an older gamer) this is how people reacted with Cellphones awhile back. "I only use my cell phone for phone calls, I don't need it to do anything else". This is how I reacted when I purchased a new car and found out that I can talk to it for directions. At first I thought, this is nothing I'll need. I use it fairly often now. Even my television, with these smart televisions, web enabled and Netflix rdy. These do come at more of a cost to us consumers. Unless MS doesn't show any games I can't see why many are bombing thexbox one for doing more. If anything bomb it's name. I ask this, say the Xbox one is weaker throughout its life with the PS4... If both systems support new games, didn't have a name associated with them.... Wouldn't you buy the one with more options in general? I will be getting both. But more options not game related are a good thing. Some options will catch on and shine, some will never be used. But more options for your television (which your console is hooked up to already, more then likely) on a console ... Come on people, it makes sense.

Unless you want to go back and say, like many are in regards to phones "I buy a phone just to make calls". Oh.... Wait.... People don't say that much anymore.
SexyGamerDude  +   675d ago
But gamers aren't just mad that MS is focused on the casual crowd. They are mad at the restrictions MS wants to put on us. Imagine if you borrowed a movie from your friend and when you tried to watch it it asked for your credit card info so it can charged a used movie fee. Or imagine if you borrowed a CD and the same thing happened. I bet you would be pretty mad.
Foxgod  +   675d ago
That already happens with Intunes stuff, and people eat that up.
SexyGamerDude  +   675d ago
Fox good, What are you talking about? I can easily share and pass along music that I buy on ITunes.
Edward75  +   675d ago
Read this good sir:

Best interview I saw.

You can use your disc just like you do now.
Please read this. It is from a VP at MS. It will squash a few of these crazy things people think. Like what you just said Sexygamerdude.

Please respond after you read it.
MysticStrummer  +   675d ago
From that Wired interview :

"I’ve heard that if your Xbox One does not connect with Xbox Live at least once a day, the machine becomes inoperable and you’re not able to play any of the games that you’ve paid for. Is that true?"

I'm glad they took the time and space to get this ridiculous question answered.
Sitdown  +   675d ago
Do you know how much the used movie fee is?
Angeljuice  +   675d ago
I did try to buy a phone only tomake calls on, nobody makes them anymore!
lisamonroe   675d ago | Spam
Jake_the_Dog   675d ago | Bad language | show
brianunfried  +   675d ago
Somebody forgot to tell Microsoft that Cable TV/Satellite TV is dead.
Daves  +   675d ago
Erm, the colour... mmm, stackable in a hi-fi rack... oh and vibrating triggers.

Can't think of more than three things sorry.
DivineAssault  +   675d ago
They have so many wrongs that after 20 rights, theyres still in the negative.. They have wrongs so strong that they cant be undone.. They need to scrap the whole project & start over if they want GAMERS to buy what theyre offering.. I even doubt casuals care to own the thing.. Most have cable & a smartphone so a $400+ box wont be appealing to them despite TALKING to change tasks
#11 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
strigoi814  +   675d ago
What they did right is that they reveal it morning, people are not yet stressed out of work and school..probably some have a very good sleep the night before

TheN after the conference every one including MS having nightmares
#12 (Edited 675d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Star Wars Battlefront reveal trailer to debut April 17, 18:30pm UK time

10m ago - EA will debut the official reveal trailer for Star Wars Battlefront during a panel taking place a... | PC

Pillars of Eternity Review (Invision Game Community)

10m ago - Pillars of eternity, developed by Obsidian Entertainment it is a real time turn based RPG publish... | PC

Filmwatch Contest Details

Now - Check out here how you can win awesome prizes with us over at Filmwatch. | Promoted post

PlayStation TV should be essential at £44.99, but Sony need to support it properly

12m ago - Dealspwn: "Last week we exclusively broke the news that Sony officially slashed the price of the... | PS4

Will Halo 5 have multiple endings?

16m ago - The latest trailers imply that Halo 5 could have multiple endings for the first time in the serie... | Xbox One

Assassin's Creed Chronicles now a three-part series set in China, India, Russia

16m ago - Eurogamer: Surprise! Assassin's Creed: Chronicles is now three games instead of one. The prev... | PC