Submitted by -Mezzo- 440d ago | opinion piece

Of Course The PlayStation 4 Has More Buzz Than Microsoft's New Xbox

Forbes - Part of the fun of this job is that sometimes, we get to disagree with our fellow writers. One of my compatriots recently composed a piece titled “Sony PlayStation 4 Riding Wave Of Twice The Social Media Buzz Of New Microsoft Xbox.” In it, he speaks to social media tracking expert Jen Handley of Fizziology, who says that across sites from Twitter to Tumblr to Facebook FB it’s the Playstation 4 that has a two to one buzz advantage over the next Xbox. (PS4, Xbox One)

Gimmemorebubblez  +   440d ago
MS will ensure, no matter if their console is a piece of shit or if it is the epitome of console gaming, that it will be given a massive ad. campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if its 750 million USD. Microsofts knows how to advertise, a department that they crush their nemesis in. MS's Xbox will generate hype whether it's artificial or genuine.
#1 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(37) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
CGI-Quality  +   440d ago
I think you're over-exaggerating just a bit.
adorie  +   440d ago
Why is he over exaggerating? The Kinect ad budget was something to the tune of 500 million.
750 million budget for the Xbox 360 successor isn't far fetched, as they spent 500 million on an add-on that failed to deliver.

I'm willing to bet the next-box will not fail to deliver as Kinect has and won't need a shroud of bs to help it sell like Kinect needed.

Even if it isn't 750 million, 500 million or so sounds right. Cause if they don't spend that much on the "720" or what ever Microsoft is going to call it, then something is up.
#1.1.1 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(17) | Report
Muerte2494  +   440d ago
Well even...
with that massive advertising campaign, they still slid into 3rd place. In the launch, you want to appeal to hardcore gamers as much as possible. These are the people convincing their friends and family to get one. This is another reason why I feel Sony is going to dominate this generation, especially if they launch first.
wishingW3L  +   440d ago
dude just look at Kinect. That thing's not even fun to play with once the novelty wears off yet it sold massive amounts of units and still sells decently. And that my friend it's the power of marketing for you.
#1.1.3 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(5) | Report
SHORYUKEN   440d ago | Trolling | show
shoddy  +   440d ago
It call brain wash the zombies
AO1JMM  +   439d ago
We all know where SHORYUKEN got his bubbles from. The Sony fanboys.
TKCMuzzer  +   440d ago
Well we are lucky that the vast majority of proper gamers know what their looking for in a next gen console. It's going to take more than an AD campaign to swing me back after my 'Ring Of Death' experience and constant fobbing off from their customer services. "We are sorry to hear about your console issues, this is not common and you have just been unlucky". Yeah thanks.

On the plus side there is a dedicated page on Wikipedia to this unlucky failure of my console.....

I'm not a fan boy as I bought my 360 first, it's now up to Microsoft to gain my trust again.
#1.2 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
JoGam  +   440d ago
Honestly Sony buzz is there but to judge MS buzz at least wait until the reveal come May 21st. I personally think both consoles will do fine.
#1.3 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Bigpappy  +   440d ago
Both you and the guy who wrote the article make sense.

What are they comparing the PS4 buzz to? What ever it is, it has no name and they don't even know what it is. It could be a console, but what kind? Much too early for this.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   440d ago
Lol yeah obviously. A announced console VS A unannounced...come on.
MysticStrummer  +   440d ago
Yet some MS fans here have been saying PS4 buzz was dead and 720 had more buzz for awhile now.
ichimaru  +   440d ago
Not sure any "fan" of either company needs to argue about "buzz" . that's as trivial as bragging about which company offers a better 401k
headblackman  +   440d ago
this is not true at all. its just that whats being talked about for both systems are very different (be it good or bad). and to be real about the the whole buzz thing, the ps4 isn't being talked about much anymore since after a week after the announcement. all the focus is now on Microsoft and its new question mark (be it good or bad). but there will be more buzz for both surfing and after the e3 show. can't wait :-)
#3 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Jek_Porkins  +   440d ago
I think we'll have to wait for the actual next Xbox reveal to gauge anything, my hope is that they open up pre-orders right after the event here in the states, get a jump on Sony and let people pre-order the console.

I have no doubt the Microsoft reveal will be watched in record breaking numbers, people are curious, for one reason or another, and that means they will all tune in...just like me!

So excited!
Chaostar  +   440d ago
Most places here in the UK at least are already taking pre-orders for PS4 so not sure how MS would be getting "a jump on Sony".

I really hope they have some kind of counter that tells you how many people are watching it live so we can get an article by some muppet telling us how because xbox got 42 more people watching than PS4 it will 'dominate' next gen. /s
Jek_Porkins  +   440d ago
No offence to the UK, but I'm strictly talking the United States, which is the largest single market where video games are concerned.

If Microsoft actually shows the console, it'll go up for pre-order everywhere, and especially in North America where they do a lot of business, that would be a huge jump in my opinion. Not sure Sony is allowed to do pre-orders here in the states until they show the actual console off.
IronFistChinMi  +   440d ago
We can cancel pre-orders in the UK.
Gamer-40  +   440d ago
Yet may 21 or 22?
Man, i sleep the next-box show. Sad.
SmokingMonkey  +   440d ago
I am a huge Sony guy, but I am still very excited to see the NextBox.

As long as they have EXCLUSIVE games that can rival Sony's then yeah, I just might buy one.

I don't see it happening, because I don't believe M$ has the studios with the capacity/talent to go up against the NaughtyGods, the Guerillas', The Media Molecules', the Sucker Punches' the Santa Monica's or SCEJ.

Prove me wrong M$, prove me wrong...I'll be watching.
aviator189  +   440d ago
Well, I'm pumped for both consoles and I'll end up buying both on launch day.
Arkrite  +   440d ago
bubble added
Well said me too, glad to see someone not blinkered by childish rivalry
#7.1 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
KEEPNITREAL  +   440d ago
Both systems will be good !
JoGam  +   440d ago
I agree. Both consoles will do well. However im getting a PS4 day one and my bro will be getting a 720 day one. Looks like I'll be able to enjoy both at some point.
maxgamehard  +   440d ago
I will be getting both as well. I just gotta figure out which one is first. I want to get a lot of next gen games, so I will start with one console and a bunch of games for Christmas. I bought a Wii U last Christmas, so I will do one console this Christmas and one next Christmas. Right now I am leaning Sony because Infamous is one of all time favorite franchises and there is chance of a new Uncharted but I am open to both consoles and the games they bring to the table.
KEEPNITREAL  +   440d ago
Well said brotha
Godmars290  +   440d ago
MS have to live down/clarify negative rumors in regards to always online, their possible stance on media support over gaming and Kinect 2.0 when Kinect 1.0 hasn't been all that it's been promised to be, whereas Sony just has to build upon what they've already introduced.
Jek_Porkins  +   440d ago
Do you actually think they're going to say "We plan to support games and media"? Not sure how'd you'd expect them to announce something like that. Since none of their first party game studios have any damn thing to do with entertainment, I'm going to say said studios will work on games like usual first party studios do.

I have no problem with Kinect 2.0, liked the first one, thought it needed better tracking, but overall as an option it was fine. Sony has a similar camera, so I think it's a trend, everything has a camera now days, phones, handheld gaming devices(Vita, DSI, 3DS),so I have no problem with it. They bring some quality titles I'm a happy camper.

If I were Microsoft I'd open with a big ol' belly laugh on stage about all the DRM nonsense, make people feel like idiots if they ever believed that crap.

Microsoft needs to talk about their vision, what went into making the console, show some features and games, turn the lights down and bring that baby out, open up pre-orders in the US and watch people flock to it.
Godmars290  +   440d ago
I expect them to make a bigger, broader, appeal to media over games. Games will be there, but actual "hardcore" titles will be on the technical wayside while family/children/party titles are promoted more along with their media agenda.

At E3 anyway.

Also, they've opened movie studios just to support XBL as a pseudo cable network. Are in talks to bring back Heroes. Its also been said that rather than simply putting half their planned launch titles on hold, they've outright canceled them while launching truck loads of cash to see what they can catch from 3rd parties as exclusives. All of that says to me that their own direct support for games, which wasn't the best in the first place, runs a real likely hood of diminishing if it looks like their media strategy gets any legs.

And of course they're going to laugh off DRM. Like Sony they've shoved that bomb in the lap of 3rd developers. Doesn't mean that we should stop worrying much less stop complaining about it when it happens.
#8.1.1 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(12) | Report
Jek_Porkins  +   440d ago
So basically you are basing these things off rumors eh? Nice!

They have their own entertainment studios that are completely separate from the game studios. Do you honestly believe that all of Microsoft's studios are equally behind? That would be a heck of a coincidence.

I think you've bought a little too much rumor for my tastes, we'll find out soon, I think people around here are gonna start listening to that old band Humble Pie! #XboxReveal
#8.2 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   440d ago
Aren't you basing your, "MS will only win, is only making right moves" opinion on positive rumors?

All I've been saying is that by observation, both good and bad, that MS's main interest will be media over gaming. Just like I've been saying that they aren't going to come right out and say as much, if you and others would just care to listen.
Jek_Porkins  +   440d ago
I'm just being optimistic, but as I said, none of Microsoft's first party game studios are going to be doing entertainment, Microsoft has other studios for things like that. I believe they can coexist, and Microsoft has the money to ensure that.

Rumors are just that, but honestly I never believed the DRM stuff for a second, the games industry is always in flux, so it's quite possible some of Microsoft's studios are behind, games do get cancelled, but that isn't a Microsoft only problem, that's just how the industry works.

I think it's highly unlikely that every single studio had things cancelled or is behind. You have to use the laws of probability. There is already a huge group of people who buy cheaper devices for entertainment, what will set the next Xbox apart is great video games, and I'm sure Microsoft realizes this.
nukeitall  +   440d ago
I think Xbox 360 and Live being profitable while the company is relatively healthy ensures that they can invest massively into the platform.

The fact that MS invest into media alone and sees the console as the entry way into the living room, pretty much ensures there are going to be tons of quality games.

How else are you going to sell a gaming console?

The point is, MS understood firstly that to dominate the living room they needed to enter it through games, and not a media box alone like AppleTV.

None of them has even been close to the success of the Xbox 360 in the living room, let alone the fact that MS is able to charge a fee for Xbox Live, but MS has to appeal to a broader audience so they will add media features like they have to the Xbox 360.

I think MS has been putting massive resources and we will see it in the coming weeks.
#8.3.1 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report
AngelicIceDiamond  +   439d ago
You know, the funny thing is "DRM Xbox" was technically never in the original rumors. People just took the "Always On rumor" and started speculating on it.

Trust me people simply took advantage of MS knowing there not around to clear the rumors this whole time.
Evil_Ryu  +   440d ago
i swear i dont even bother reading your comments anymore i just hit the disagree button, you are such a fanboy.
CGI-Quality  +   440d ago
@ adorie: I believe he's over-exaggerating what MS may do vs Sony. We have no clue of the marketing plans for either next gen system, and using the PS3 as an example is pointless, since they've already shown they are making drastic changes to better the brand.

He may be right about the amounts they could spend, but even that is more wishful thinking.
sandman224  +   440d ago
Because we know more about the ps4. Also I'm pretty sure everyone is happy with what Sony is doing. Microsoft is being to top secret about there box. I wish someone would find a way to leak there controller.
RuleofOne343  +   440d ago
Finally someone who is speaking some sense but sad his words will fall on deaf ears or will be bombarded with comment full of denial.none the less I liked the article.
FrigidDARKNESS  +   440d ago
Nopr the hrill is gone for he ps4 till e3 as of now its MS getting the attention and generating Buzz.
josephayal  +   440d ago
i 100% believe the PS4 will win
ichimaru  +   440d ago
congratulations
GraveLord  +   440d ago
Duh. PS4 is betterz than the Xbawks! Of course itz more populer on the twittar and facenook.
maxgamehard  +   440d ago
I am very unbiased when it comes to games. I own two a wii, Wii U, a ps3, and Xbox 360.

Towards the end of a generation many gamers have both consoles, but not all.

At the end of the day us gamers have to choose a console that puts the priority on games. We are gamers and we want games.

The company that does the best job when it comes to gaming gets my money. I am not blinded by brand loyalty. On the other hand I do not give my money to the company who does the wrong thing which most people will probably agree with me on.

As of right now the next gen is a fresh start for both companies.

On May 21st we will have a taste of what BOTH companies have to offer and at the end of E3 we will have BOTH companies buffets and we can choose the one we want to enjoy.

There is no use bickering on unknown facts when we don't even know what one side is doing.

At the end of the day we are all gamers. We all want to enjoy games. As a gamer we should spend our hard earned money on the machine that caters to our gaming needs in the best possible way.

As of right now, I do not know which side is better and therefore I have not decided on which next gen console I will buy.

PS:

If anyone disagrees with me, please provide me with a reasoning. I value everyone's opinion and tried to make this post as helpful as possible.
Belking  +   440d ago
Tuesday will answer all qusetions. Now it's sony's turn to take a back seat. The US belongs to xbox.
#16 (Edited 440d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   440d ago

How fitting that the US would be XBox country.
ichimaru  +   440d ago
lol what. No seriously what. Are you trying to shoehorn a correlation between an american product dominating in America, yeah imagine that -_-

Also please don't try to turn this into a battle of nationalities as you're already embarrassing whatever country failed you as it is
Belking  +   439d ago
"The US likes to claim to be the best, yet we're the best in almost nothing worthwhile."

How silly you sound...lol No other country sells more electronics than the US. The US is the biggest and most important game market out there. Sony found out the hard way that when Americans don't buy your products you will have trouble. Why do you think they revealed PS4 here first? It's because they know they lost that important American market share and it hurt them, so they want it back but it won't be so easy now.Sony knows what the deal is. They know they will have their hands full once again going up against MS. They really want to keep hold of what they have because the other markets(like TV) have been pretty much taken by others.
#16.1.2 (Edited 439d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
MysticStrummer  +   439d ago
@ichimaru - I guess you missed where I said "we". I'm a US citizen, and I recognize that the US is not the world leader we used to be. If you choose not to recognize that, it's your business, but that attitude won't help the US in the long run.

@Belking - I guess you missed where I said "worthwhile". Electronics and game sales are pretty trivial next to things like health care, life expectancy, education, etc.

Either way I shouldn't have brought it up while commenting about gaming consoles. I won't apologize for telling the truth, but my comment would have made more sense on another site.
urwifeminder  +   440d ago
I don't personally know any playstation gamers so I have heard nothing plenty of xbox talk .
daedra  +   439d ago
come the 21st that little *buzz* the ps4 created will be zip.
ghostrider32  +   439d ago
These so-called trolls need to go to Youtube and take notes on how to actually be funny.
#19 (Edited 439d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
solidworm  +   439d ago
MS have reaped all this negativity. The rumours from within are hurting them badly and the whole lack of value and awful lurch towards the Wii demographic is gonna kill them. They crapped on their loyal fanbase and so deserve all the shit thats coming their way.
MichaelLito79  +   439d ago
Journalist agree to disagree. Just like gamers agree to disagree. Lets see what MS has to offer after May 21 and after E3.

The 25 best PS4 games

10m ago - The PS4 is one hell of a system, that much is certain. But, seeing as we haven't even reached the... | PS4

Lack Of Fallout 4 News Is Making People Crazy

10m ago - Skyrim Fansite writes: "Misleading articles regarding Fallout 4 news are circulating on the Web.... | PC

Q*Bert Rebooted:L SteamFirst Interview

10m ago - SteamFirst: Following last week’s Review of Q*Bert Rebooted I was given an opportunity to intervi... | PC

10 Unbelievably Creepy Video Game Easter Eggs

10m ago - Throughout video game history there have been many Easter Eggs hidden for gamers to find. Some we... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

The Best Batman Gadgets Of The Arkham Franchise

10m ago - Batman has always brought an iconic assortment of gadgets and tools to fight crime with and save... | PC