Submitted by Vinc360 500d ago | rumor

Google To "Reinvent The PlayGround" Next Week, Gaming Related Announcement Incoming

Gamefocus reports that Google is about to announce a gaming platform. (Google, Next-Gen)

Update The title of the article has since changed, hinting that the announcement may not be a platform, though it remains likely.

Hard to tell
Is this rumor true? Rumor votes 11
Vinc360  +   500d ago
This came out of nowhere.
dp277407  +   500d ago
Yea I wonder if its going to be something like nvidias system or the OUYA, or be like an actual competitor to microsoft, sony and nintendo.
Abash  +   500d ago
If I were Google and wanted to make a console that could compete with Sony, Nintendo, and MS, I'd partner with SEGA and use their plethora of great series that are being unused to gain an advantage over the competition.

I'm not saying all Google would need is SEGA, but it'd definitely make them stand out right out of the gates
Root  +   500d ago
@Abash

Thats actually a good idea

Sonic, Alex the Kidd, Ristar, Toe Jam and Earl, Streets of Rage etc get three of those as launch games and you have yourself a good games console.
LOGICWINS  +   500d ago

^^I'm guessing it'll be Nexus 5 related.
Autodidactdystopia  +   500d ago
well if they used their trillions to actually put a set of balls In the machine (if it is a machine) then they could have a chance.
LocutusEstBorg  +   500d ago
I'm pretty sure it's a social network like Game Centre or Xbox Live.
Blackdeath_663  +   500d ago
@LOGICWINS
a nexus gaming devise sounds very likely now that you mention it
LOL_WUT  +   500d ago
I'd rather have Apple give it another shot Google just doesn't do it for me as a console (anything), except for a browser. ;)
nukeitall  +   500d ago
If it's tablet, I think I would pass.

The android experience subpar, and as someone else mentioned, I would rather take iOS or Windows (Phone).
CEOSteveBallmer  +   500d ago
In my opinion, We don't need a 4th player into the console business. Why? Multiplat games will be very very long to develop for all consoles. It takes 2-3 years to develop multiplat on all 3 consoles, how much more if a fourth one is added right? No matter how big a developer is, they don't have infinite number of programmers. So I say google would be better off fighting with apple on the mobile gaming front.
Bigpappy  +   500d ago
Aren't there like 4 android consoles already out or soon to be released? They better have some serious innovation if they want any attention in this market.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   500d ago
Wait until you see what's happening with Apple and your local cable company.

The landscape of gaming is about to change drastically.

The google thing is more about integration.
#1.3 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ArronC07  +   500d ago
Streaming? No thanks.
Liefx  +   500d ago
Not really. People have been doing APK teardowns for awhile that have hinted at this.
extermin8or  +   500d ago
no they don't mean a games console I don't think they mean like a system abit like IOs's game centre thing. Thiss rumour has been around for ages.
princejb134  +   500d ago
I'm pretty sure their new. Machine is exclusive to their play store games
KwietStorm  +   500d ago
Nah they've been talking about it for a while now, "They" Not being Google but leaks on the net. Android Police did a tear down of bits of code and it looks like Google is taking their gaming push pretty seriously, much more than the game center on iOS. There are actually some Steam-like features in there.
#1.7 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Root  +   500d ago
No way...

PS4
Wii U
Nextbox
Google Box
Steambox

It's going to be a packed gen thats for sure, whether or not this is actually going to be a proper console remains to be seen but this is going to be fun to watch
Vinc360  +   500d ago
That's the one thing I hate about the introduction of so many new gaming "platforms". There's consoles, smartphones, tablets, handhelds, PC, social games, soon your microwave will be able to play games. That helps grow the overall market, but it also segments it. A lot. There could be another industry crash if we're not careful. Game budgets are getting really, really high and with a segmented market, that's dangerous.
Root  +   500d ago
I think the problem is people thinking smartphone games and cheap little indie games are considered proper games where you can make a console

When I think of a games console I think of the big three...Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Uncharted, Killzone, GT, Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake. Not crappy little smartphone games which you play when your on the bus, metro and taking a dump in the toilet.
guitarded77  +   500d ago
Yeah, I don't know if it's legit, but that's too many. I game on everything, and appreciate choice, but two many hands in the cookie jar can lead to less high risk exclusives. If a new console is taking money from an established platform, less money may be given to higher risk AAA titles. Oh well, we'll see what happens. I really wish Google would partner with Sony in offering services through PS4 and Vita. Also, if Google does come up with a console I wonder how open they will be to at home devs in offering tools for creation.
shoddy  +   500d ago
Ps4 all the way
crock7owu10  +   500d ago
Don't forget whatever Apple is doing as well. If Google jumps into the gaming ring, don't think Apple will just sit around doing nothing. Good lord this is random. Of all of the leaks and rumors to come out, Google kept this quiet? Impressive.
KwietStorm  +   500d ago
Not expected to be a gaming console, but rather a "platform," per say. It's likely a part of the next version of Android. See my comment right above yours.
SlavisH2  +   500d ago
I hope so. this would be great for the consumer. i personally wont get it but competition it always great for us. Even apple should join more the better
majiebeast  +   500d ago
No guys its gonna be like gamecenter that rumour has been going around for months. Its not gonna be a console.

#4 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
stage88  +   500d ago
Thank you!

So many people in here hyped for nothing.
R_aVe_N  +   500d ago
It will be an android based device that will most likely play phone games and the such. If you like phone style games stay tuned. I don't forsee any other platform from Google.
KwietStorm  +   500d ago
Not a device at all. Its a unified gaming service integrated into Android.
WeAreLegion  +   500d ago
"reinvent the Playground"

This suggests that it has something to do with Google Play...and not an actual console/device.
Qrphe  +   500d ago
It will also emphasize multiplayer/social games with the whole "Let's play together"
DoomeDx  +   500d ago
Yeah. This has been confirmed about a month ago.

This is not a new console people. Just a way for developers to create multiplayer-games for tablets/smartphones using the Google servers
Kevin McCallister  +   500d ago
This. They didn't shock the world with this announcement, as this has been rumored for some time now. It's simply an Android Gamecenter type service, not a console. My Nexus 4 is ready.
ApolloTheBoss  +   500d ago
This is it. Soon Google will control everything. Prepare yourselves. They already have Skynet.
#7 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Hufandpuf  +   500d ago
My body is ready.
Fergusonxplainsall  +   500d ago
I will Judo Chop a T-1000 with my spiked kinetic arm guard.
Fergusonxplainsall  +   500d ago
You've gone too far Google..

I want City & Street guardians day one. A co-op watch your own city game. Imagine watching and reporting in real time in a real life location.

They could pay me to play it. We all know this console will have a good search engine.
#8 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
josephayal  +   500d ago
the console war is officially over
turgore  +   500d ago
Its probably gonna be revamp of google play but this time focused on games. I don't think they want to make a console, although they might support gaming on tv using tablets/phones.
DivineAssault  +   500d ago
interesting.. Im sure if done right, casuals will go nutts over it
Salooh  +   500d ago
Just like what some say here. It's obvious that it will play phone games and stuff like that. It's next generation for phones. wii u is next generation to wii. So each have his own generation.. lol

Just a guess though. Steam are making a console for their games which will need powerful specs. But google games(android) are not that big that's why i said that..
#12 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kenoh   500d ago | Spam
crock7owu10  +   500d ago
Nice.
#14 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   500d ago
And all I'm hearing is no possibility of GoogleTV on PS4.
Kidmyst  +   500d ago
PS4, Xbox720, Steam Box, google?? Starting to remind me of the 90's when we had so many consoles on the market and most failed except for Nintendo, Sega and Sony. IE: Magnavox CDI, Phillips 3D0 and any other 3DO made by someone else. Don't remember the others but those 2 bad Zelda games went with them (Not Nintendo made).
2pacalypsenow  +   500d ago
meh only care about Sony and MS consoles
#17 (Edited 500d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
CEOSteveBallmer  +   500d ago
The historic gaming crash of the early eighties has something to do also with so many consoles that came out that time. colecovision, intellivision atari and others I forgot. we don't need a 4th player since I already made a comment with the first commenter here that multiplat games will be affected, their development time will be much longer and that's not good for us. steambox is a hook to TV comp and OUYA is for those who want emulation and iOS/android games on a large TV. So somehow I don't really count them as a "Direct" competitor. I think google is doing fine, they should just focus on fighting apple on the Mobile gaming front
TemplarDante  +   500d ago
Yo google, you going to re-invent the playground and all, can we expect the Battlefield 4 on it ?
Lulz.
jukins  +   499d ago
i think its funny ppl actually think google is gonna hardware. google rarely does hardware even its nexus devices are handled by the industry big boys. why on earth would they make a video game console as one of their few pieces of actual google hardware
MoveTheGlow  +   499d ago
I see controllers and playground stuff. I'm expecting a new "center for gaming," if you catch my drift, for Android, browsers, and Google TV, using your existing Google account, and a first-party controller that connects with phones via mini-USB and PC/Google TV via USB. There had better be some instant compatibility with previously-released games.

Not a Google box. That would be dumb. Enhance Google TV and blur the lines between Google-supported devices. That would be cost-effective and smart.
#21 (Edited 499d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Yetter  +   499d ago
They may be 'able' to do it, but they never would. Google is not interested in selling you hardware, that is secondary. Their main business model revolves around data collection to maximize their profits from ad revenues. They have no interest in releasing a console that they would then have to provide support for for years and years into the future. Are they interested in mining data from gamers?? absolutely but they could accomplish this far more easily by having their OS (android) available for game consoles (OUYA). The reason they can provide rock bottom prices on their products without sacrificing quality is they have no interest of turning a profit on the product itself. Once your using it you will be padding their wallets for years to come.

(WGB) Planetary Annihilation Review – Death Star? I’m In

2m ago - Baden of WGB: "After a successful Kickstarter and significant amount of time in Steam’s Early Acc... | PC

Market Hype and Why it Sucks

2m ago - The Brilliantly Epic team gathers to discuss this years pressing problem concerning market hype,... | Industry

Xzibit and "Pimp My Ride" Proud To Be a Part of Final Fantasy XV

2m ago - While he may have accidentally leaked the ending where Noctis and the gang finally make it to the... | Culture

Interstellar Marines - PC Preview | Chalgyr's Game Room

2m ago - Chalgyr's Game Room writes: While I have been in the first person shooting scene since Doom wa... | PC

Celebrate the new TV season with Filmwatch

Now - With the 2014-2015 TV season right around the corner, come join us on Filmwatch as we celebrate and give all you TV lovers something to enjoy! | Promoted post

NBA 2K15 Introduces NBA2K TV

2m ago - Today, 2K Sports announced a new feature called "NBA2K TV", exclusively for the Xbox One, PlaySta... | PC