Submitted by iGAM3R-VIII 488d ago | article

Peter Molyneux on the next Xbox: “I don’t want another way of looking at Facebook”

Microsoft should concentrate on games rather than chase the ‘connected entertainment’ dream with its next Xbox, says 22cans boss Peter Molyneux.

The former creative director of Microsoft Games Studios told us that he is keeping a close eye on his former employers’ movements, but isn’t sure what its intentions are with the next Xbox.

“I’m going to be absolutely fascinated to see what they finally come out with, because I kind of knew a lot when I was at Microsoft about what their plans were, and plans change and aspirations change. I’m sure they’ll have put a lot of time and thought and rehearsal into that press briefing, but I’m going to be fascinated to see what the hardware is, and how it will fit into this new world that we’re in now – this new world of hyper-connectivity, of super-portability. Or whether they’ll double-down and say ‘you know what? We are the games console, and that’s what we define ourselves as’ and say [they] don’t really care about hyper-connectivity or hyper-portability. It’ll be fascinating which way they jump.” (Peter Molyneux, Xbox One)

iGAM3R-VIII  +   488d ago
I have to agree with him. This goes for every console as well, the PS4, Wii U, 720, etc. A console was meant to play games on, not watch movies and go on facebook or twitter and stuff. That is why we have DVD Bluerays and laptops to cover those needs. Yes I do think the social and entertainment aspect of gaming should be highly viewed (because you want to play with friends, and streaming) but, games should ALWAYS become top priority. It is the games that sell a console, and the exclusives. Then the features of the console and then the extras.

At no point should games be at a lower priority than entertainment for a company.
#1 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(31) | Disagree(14) | Report | Reply
aiBreeze  +   488d ago
While I agree for the most part, I disagree with the movies part.. the ps2 was my introduction into dvds and the ps3 was my introduction to blu rays which I still use today for my movies.
iGAM3R-VIII  +   488d ago
yes I do agree but I think that games should still come first. Movies are definet plus on the my PS3 but it wasn't really initially built to only play movies. I think entertainment is a plus and same with social aspects are a plus and can help, but it shouldnt be over games
MikeMyers  +   488d ago
Microsoft should be talking about games first. Let the consumers talk about Apps and media functions if they desire. A consoles selling point should be games, not navigating the dashboard with Kinect or how they got ESPN as a partner.

Well soon find out what the primarily focus will be. You can't be a jack of all trades but a master of none. Let the games speak for the next Xbox and the dialogue about the media functions will follow. Don't make the focus on an all-in-one box.
LAWSON72  +   488d ago
I disagree consoles are great for watching movies.
iGAM3R-VIII  +   488d ago
agreed but it shouldnt really pass games. Movies are great for consoles though still, it is a plus
Swiftfox  +   488d ago | Intelligent
I'd hate to play devil's advocate, but look at phones. A phone was meant to make phone calls. Now technology has elevated the personal phone to include texting, internet, and hundreds of separate applications. Is the principle of a phone today to make phone calls? I wouldn't gather it from sales pitches where cell companies advertise the speed of data transfer over the ability to make a phone call.

I only bring it up because it's natural for technologies to expand and try new things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but it's important that the steps are taken.

I'd like to see a return to a gaming focus as much as anyone. I long for the days past where I could buy a console game, put it into my console, and it would just play. No signing agreements, no creating accounts, no downloading patches, it would just play. But as many mistakes console technologies have made, there are other things done correctly. We might not all agree on what's a good or bad step, but again so long as it moves forward.
LAWSON72  +   488d ago
Just beautiful, thank you for that post.
gman_moose  +   488d ago
I think what he's getting at is that Microsoft is creating a gaming console which may focus more heavily on multimedia than games. You bring up comparisons to phones, but the huge difference is that customers wanted more functionality in a phone... gamers do not care about more functionality in a console. As long as it can play games, it's fine. MS is setting their sights too high, trying to take over from Satellite/Cable providers, etc. I mean, if they want to do that, fine, but why would gamers buy their console when they have a cable box already for free from their provider, and can buy a PS4, which actually offers them good GAMES to play.

Bottom line, if they can take over the world, while still providing lots of new IP's and exclusives, great on them, but the last two years of the 360's life cycle has shown us that MS has no problem abandoning the core gamer, and letting the third party multiplats sell the 360 for them. That won't be enough next gen IMO.
Septic  +   488d ago
Couldn't have put it better myself mate. WEll said.
A7XEric  +   488d ago
I would argue that phones are meant to contact people, not simply call them. And look at everything they can do now. All of the apps, texting, etc. connect you with other people. So as far as I'm concernd, phone's really haven't deviated far from their intended use.

But I would argue otherwise for game machines over the past several years. I like being able to watch movies on my console, browsing the internet, etc. but I def think Microsoft has been focusing too heavily on these extra kind of frills that, quite frankly, no one cares about. How many people really tweet from their 360? Seriously.

Though Nintendo has caught some flak in recent years, I applaud them for still making what is very much a GAME console, that has the few bells and whistles that gamers actually care about without going down the rabbit hole of ridiculousness in terms of just stupid tacked on features that no one uses.
Hicken  +   488d ago
Nobody's saying consoles shouldn't be capable of other stuff. But their primary focus- the thing they do BEST- should be GAMES. The analogy with phones is fine, but would you buy a phone that sucked at BEING A PHONE?

However, there's a difference that should be noted, as well. Phones are a necessity. In today's world, you're virtually off the grid if you don't have a cell phone. Why not add in a bunch of extra features to something you NEED, anyway? Hell, the reason phones have those features in the first place was to consolidate devices like laptops(to a certain degree) and PDAs. It made sense, then, to put all these devices in one, and the phone was the most sensible device to add it all into, since it was the most necessary one.

Since everyone has a phone, and almost ALL of them have the social features we're talking about for consoles... isn't it kinda redundant?
AngelicIceDiamond  +   488d ago
@Gamer If All the consoles did was game in now days, the consoles won't sell not nearly as great.

The entertainment consumer need their Netflix, Hulu, TV etc. The Facebook and Twitter is secondary. In fact, its not important at all.

Hell, Allot of Consumers simply pass on buying a new car because the color simply isn't what they want.

@Kratos

Can you and everyone else just wait after the Xbox reveal and E3 to start judging? I personally think MS can do both. But we'll have to wait and see.
#1.4 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
iGAM3R-VIII  +   488d ago
Read my comment, I think you didn't get what I said. Gaming should be at a higher priority than social aspects and entertainment BUT it should be all 100% gaming. I did CLEARLY state that. I think if gaming was 50% and then the rest of the 50% was split into two then that would be good. I do know that. Before you reply, make sure you understand what I am trying to say
AngelicIceDiamond  +   488d ago
"I have to agree with him. This goes for every console as well, the PS4, Wii U, 720, etc. A console was meant to play games on, not watch movies and go on facebook or twitter and stuff. That is why we have DVD Bluerays and laptops to cover those needs."

That's what you said. I'm talking about your first comment.

ME: "But I agree. Its a game console, market it for what its purpose is. Its main purpose, Gaming."

And I simply responded to your first paragraph. But agreed to what you said for the most part.
dcbronco  +   488d ago
The idea that consoles are for games is silly. It's not like the movies or music or even apps take away from the games. For that to be the case JJ Abrams would have to be making games in between movies. He's not. The additional features are just a part of the machine. They have zero effect on what the console can and can't do for gaming. Especially next generation where the hardware will be completely separate.

Gamers need to learn to appreciate all of the other features. They allow for lower prices. Imagine what it would be like if every kind of product had to have a separate store. Most stores would never make it or they would have huge cost. Additional streams of revenue allow console makers to drop prices sooner and to stay around for the next generation. It makes you wonder if Sega would still be around if they had had the additional revenue. Or you have to wonder who will make a console as gamers bump up the enrollment of services like Netflix.

Netflix' success with consoles is the reason the studios are stripping it of it's selections. They see the profit in consoles and want it for themselves. It why there are rumors of Apple making a console. Or Sega maybe coming back. Learn to love your Swiss knife.

Edit: And Peter Molyneux should know better than most. If Microsoft has the money to pay somebody to walk around and adjust everyone's chairs, they can afford to hire some people to focus on games too.
#1.6 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
The_Infected  +   488d ago
"Microsoft should concentrate on games rather than chase the ‘connected entertainment’ dream with its next Xbox"

Completely agree but I have a feeling It's to late.
#2 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(36) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Gimmemorebubblez  +   488d ago
Peter Molyneux: "I don't want another way of looking at Facebook.....I want another way of feeling, touching it, smelling it, experiencing it in ways that were inconceivable to the mind of mere mortals!"
Lol just joking......

I whole-heartedly agree with Peter Holymolyneux but as long as games don't get disadvantaged all the entertainment features are welcome.
#3 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
iGAM3R-VIII  +   488d ago
??? He didn't say that unless that was a joke.... on that hand that was funny
#3.1 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Nodoze  +   488d ago
Must have's vs nice to haves.

We are talking about GAMING consoles. I have a feeling MS is moving in another direction. They may try to sway the hardcore with exclusive 3rd party games, but that cannot last forever (it would be WAY too expensive). What then? This generation they all but abandoned the hard core in favor of attracting casual gamers with the ridiculous Kinect.
MontyQ   488d ago | Immature | show
abzdine  +   488d ago
i start yawning everytime i read something from this guy :D

Is it me or did he just confirm the price of next xbox?
Campy da Camper  +   488d ago
Ha! I saw that, too. 299 pounds? Thats, what? 229.00 USD?
#6.1 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
dcbronco  +   488d ago
I also wonder why he said computer games.

"Just give me what I’ve paid my £299 for, and that is to play amazing, incredible computer games.”

There were rumors that the Windows 8 store would be accessible through the Xbox. Add that to the Fusion name rumors and it running on Windows RT or Windows 8 right now and that would make sense. If it is running on regular Windows 8 now and the games are being developed on that OS, then the final build must be very close to a stripped down version of Window 8. Something like RT.
MilkMan  +   488d ago
I absolutely HATE anything on my gaming console that isn't directly related to games. I'm even luke warm on video's of games, but at least they are game related.

When I have "fiends" on my list that do nothing but watch dumb-flix or anything other than game. Off the list they go.

I stopped paying gold for Xbox long time ago and went PSN+ for this very reason. At least Sony's dumb app integration isn't as "in your face" as the advertising heaven called Xbox.

Its a joke. I have ad blockers on my browser, but I come home and I needed to see it on my Xbox.

In any case, keep the focus aquarly on games.
CEOSteveBallmer  +   488d ago
LOL very funny "Fiends" on my list that watch dumb flix. XD nice one to call your friends whether its intentional or typo error.
RuleofOne343  +   488d ago
Hey hype man Pete has that first game from 22 cans doing & how that kickstarter game funding going have you hit the numbers needed or did it fail.
#8 (Edited 488d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
gedden7  +   488d ago
“I don’t want another way of looking at Facebook”

Shouldn't it be

“I don’t want another way of [PLAYING GAMES]”

Hmmmm look like I'm gonna wait see about this..
Dlacy13g  +   488d ago
Whatever MS does unveil, I kinda hope it does skew the direction of games first. I say that because I already know there is a console coming that is very dedicated to games the PS4. I don't want MS to just put out something that more or less is a cookie cutter of the PS4. I truly would love to see them put out a machine that for me as a gamer says "I ultimately want/need BOTH of these consoles".

I would NEVER buy 2 PC's UNLESS there was some incdeble reason why I needed 2. I bought a PS3 and Xbox 360 because there was enough of a difference between them (timing, blu ray, online). If the PS4 and Xbox are cookie cutter clones of each other I will most assuredly only buy one.
-Gespenst-  +   488d ago
He's been speaking a bit more sense recently I have to concede. Still sort of sour about him using Kickstarter though.
GraveLord  +   488d ago
Prepare to be disappointed.
Dlacy13g  +   488d ago
your comment in disappointing. So many gamers here these days are just jaded fanboys.

On topic, I am going into this reveal with an open mind just like I did with the PS4. I was rewarded for that open attitude with a device coming from Sony that is exciting and I suspect I will have the same with MS.
webkatt  +   488d ago
personally i don't like the path microsoft is going down. i can see why they want to do it but it seems like a slap in the face. the game system is no longer a game system, it now it's a entertainment hub...that can play games.

that in itself is fine but knowing MS, they are going to increase the price of live and require LIVE for everything. since the machine is rumored to be always on, always connected, why do i need to pay monthly/yearly to access features that should not be locked in the first place? (netflix, facebook, etc). am i alone in thinking its absurd to create a paywall that blocks so many features.

so you break down and purchase xbl, it now looks like a ad supported "free" version phone app. this should be the case for silver but not for gold. why pay to have advertising bombard you so blatantly. if you accidentally highlight a ad video it starts playing immediately, imagine how annoyed you'd be if your browser did this.

personally i'm soured by the videogame industry nowadays. more because of greed and shady tactics. but on a whole it's that i can never buy a game and consider it a compete version. every game has some sort of dlc. and most are released with all of it on the disc. why even bother buying day 1 at 60 + 20 dlc, wait a year and get the whole package at 40. and if they aren't bending you over with dlc they're complaining about used games.

i'm gonna have to think long and hard about purchasing the next game consoles. might be time to "retire"
sway_z  +   488d ago
The ONLY thing Molyneux has said that is not a disappointment :)
Jacobster  +   488d ago
Well isn't it obvious Peter wants you to be looking at adverts instead :P
4lc4pon3  +   488d ago
Gaming is VERY important to me so I want a gaming console. I dont pay for netflix so for my own personal self its useless. I do have a couple of 3D smart tvs that have netflix, amazon and so on apps if I need to ever use these features. Netflix when I had the service to me was not that great. way to many old movies.

For myself I want a Gaming Machine and a Newer more suped up blurays player. I have a massive blurays & 3D movie collection so thats something I will absolutely need in the next console.

From what I have read is the New PS4 will have a bluray player that is 3 times faster then whats in the PS3 so win for me.

I cant comment about anything for the Xbox as I know nothing of what its going to have or not have (Until the 21st)

but for me it goes Gaming/Bluray everything else for me is useless
Bosna98  +   488d ago
don't trust this man
strickers  +   488d ago
I still don't get the ps2 as DVD player
It was an awful DVD player. My Sony 725D DVD player I bought pre ps2 is still going and still excellent picture. Ps2 was never any good . I want Netflix on ps4, YouTube and other than that Games , Games ,Games!
ger2396  +   488d ago
I already own a smart tv that serves as media hub, I also have a tablet, pc and phone that allows me to stream media. I want a gaming console that it's #1 priority is to provide me with a awesome next gen gaming experience. That is all.

Velocity 2X Review: VGFirst

12m ago - Excerpt from the review: "The original Velocity has become something of a cult classic, launch... | PS4

Asker Online - Assassin, Gladiator & Battle Mage Gameplay Videos Released

14m ago - Neowiz announced that the first closed beta of Asker Online (originally called Project Black Shee... | PC

7 Reasons Why Everyone Will Eventually Be a PC Gamer

16m ago - With the rise in free to play games, eSports, and the growing frustration towards two-thirds of t... | PC

NBA 2K15 Gameplay Preview Interview With 2K Sports

19m ago - 2K Sports Producer Rob Jones details the latest new gameplay enhancements to NBA 2K15 and explain... | Xbox 360

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

SUPER III – Deathmatch Trailer

20m ago - SUPER III is a fast-paced, adventure game that combines action-platformer and puzzle-platformer m... | PC