Submitted by daddy1c3 607d ago | opinion piece

Will Xbox Always On Feature Work? It Could, If Done Correctly

I know that many of us out there cannot fathom the idea of Microsoft’s always on feature actually making it into their next console. As a matter of fact, I felt the exact same way for a very long time, until recently that is. You see, I’ve come to realize that the video game industry, especially the console market, is becoming an extremely volatile business. Games are getting more and more expensive to make every year and (inflation considered) since game prices are staying the same; games are getting cheaper and cheaper. (Xbox LIVE, Xbox One)

Abash  +   607d ago
There just is no need for a console to require it being connected online for it to function
dasbeer88  +   607d ago
Not only the always-online function but also the supposed DRM. IF Microsoft implements DRM for their games, then forget it. I'll never buy another XBOX game from them...ever.
joab777  +   607d ago
So, I always play online. It seems it would be no big deal. In 1 week I am going to california for 2 weeks to see my grandparents. I always bring my xbox or ps3 for downtime. They own 100 acre ranch in the mountains. Problem is that the only internet they hav is dial up or a capped satellite. Thus I have no way to play online. Last time I played dragon age and it was no big deal. I amnplaying dark souls now and am gonna hav to play a bit offline.

What do I do in situations like this? Its not a huge deal but when considering which next gen console to invest in, I am gonna choose one that I can play offline. This is just one reason too.
daddy1c3  +   607d ago
For your situation, if Microsoft decides to go to route of simply checking to see if you have an internet connection every say, 30 minutes or so. If you do have a connection, allow you to keep playing; but if you don't have a connection, you could get a warning that you need to reconnect within the next 30 minutes to continue playing. Steam has a similar feature, and if Microsoft decides to be the console to usher in this new movement, it may cement their future in this industry.
Tres21  +   607d ago
off topic @ daddy1c3

hey i havent used steam & when u said they have a 30min check i havent heard much of steambox lately but i wonder if they would do something similar 2 that specially if its tied to steam
Ausbo  +   607d ago
what if this always online function was nothing but a way the box constantly updates and keeps up with fresh programming for the cable and updates.

I doubt they will implement the system that you need to be connected to play a game. That, along with a used game block would be a big mistake and cause a massive uproar.
GalacticEmpire  +   607d ago
The article come to the illogical conclusion that the 40 something million XBL subscribers must have constant online connections. It's estimated that only half of those pay for a gold sub and that's still no guarantee of the quality of their internet.

I mean really, are they trying to say it's OK to push invasive online only DRM on gamers because 'it'll sell anyway'? What a terrible argument.

The part about one percent of live users buying an Xbox 3, utter nonsense. Even if 100% of those people bought Xbox 3s in it's lifetime that'd still be only 46ish million.
#2 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(20) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
WUTCHUGUNNADO  +   607d ago
This dude can try to praise it all he wants... lets see his opinion when he loses his internet connection.
Ken22  +   607d ago
Daddy1c3 go home you're drunk.
Salooh  +   607d ago
Fanboys are crazy. They are like racists. They defend the wrong things even though they acknowledge it. The worst thing is when you hear their excuses. I don't even want to continue saying what's in my mind..
#3.2 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NegativeCreepWA  +   607d ago
If MS does some sort cable deal, where a cable provider is leasing consoles to people, it would work for those, to prevent people from selling them.

But, for people that actually purchase a console, there's no way in hell that'll fly.
#4 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NegativeCreepWA  +   607d ago
With all the cable box/always online rumors, I think this is route MS will be taking.

Regular console for people to purchase and always online cable box versions that can be regulated.

I try not to get in these arguments, but it does seem to be the logical answer to all the rumors. Any other way and MS is committing suicide.

I'm not one of these so called journalist, so I won't go write an article about it, but what do you guys think?
#4.1 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ausbo  +   607d ago
i dont care about the used game ban, cause i hate gamestop and thier ripoff used games. I usually buy new. I think they are going this route too. i just don't think it will be as bad as rumored
cleft5  +   607d ago
They can do it however they want. If the next xbox is always online I will not buy it. Everyone else can spend their money however they like.
#5 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
mr.selfdestruct  +   607d ago
I choose not to get the nextbox. Not because of always on line, but because of the cost for Live. It litterly is throwing money away and I just wont do it. If they went free online game play and always online i might get it, but I know that wont happen. Sooo its off my radar.
LogicStomper  +   607d ago
I agree, costs a lot just to play online when you can do it free on PSN. But you do have to understand that they implemented it first into console gaming so it's understandable to charge for something revolutionary (to consoles that is).
Jek_Porkins  +   607d ago
Good thing we probably wont have to know if it could work or not. May 21st cant get here soon enough!
Hicken  +   607d ago
Better hope so.
Jek_Porkins  +   607d ago
I've never believed a single one of those rumors yet, just gotta have a little faith that a billion dollar company will want to make the most money and attract the most consumers possible.
Neko_Mega  +   607d ago
You buy a console to play games, you buy a PC to play big online only games.

To make a console online only is pointless and dumb. What if I just want to play single player while my internet is down? Can't if I have to be online at all times then, in less theirs some setup to let you.

But then that kills rental games or playing a friends copy. Theirs alot of problems with the idea and ways to fix but make new problems. I think consoles should stay the way they are and not try to push what PC games do.
GreenRanger  +   607d ago
If it's done at all, then it's done wrong.
#9 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Sniperwithacause  +   607d ago
Well said. There should be nothing more to discuss.
Gamer-Z  +   607d ago
Always online will just be another barrier to an already restrictive system. Also how does always online benefit the consumer? Ms says its for the system to seamlessly update without disturbing the user but yet the PS4 will be accomplishing the same thing without an always on connection, so to me that's just an excuse.
#10 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
josephayal  +   607d ago
No one seems to like the idea of an always-online console, basically Microsoft are saying if you don't have an internet connection in your home then you should buy the PS4
tweet75  +   607d ago
moneys tight and sometimes i have to shut wifi and internet off does that mean ill still be able to play any single player games on the new xbox
kingPoS  +   607d ago
Somehow - I can't but think this online only debacle might have been taken out of context. I not pointing fingers, I'm just saying it sounds a little odd.
KillrateOmega  +   607d ago
Fanboys/Console Loyalists:
Taking a terrible concept, acknowledging how terrible it is, and still end up trying to make an excuse for it.

Most people DON'T want always-online functionality. It's simply an unattractive idea. If MS really does end up utilizing it, then they might as well say, "If you don't have a near-perfect internet connection, go buy a PS4."
#14 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LoveOfTheGame  +   607d ago
The same logic can be used in reverse:

Before this gen everyone would be insanely excited for controller free gaming, we were all thinking of lightsaber fights lets be honest, but all we make fun of now, mainly, is kinect, wii mote, and move.

Took a great concept, acknowledge how great it would be, implemented the wrong way and everything goes to sh*t. Anything implemented the right way can eventually, keyword, become great.
Supermax  +   607d ago
Here's hopeing everyone that says there never buying a next gen Xbox comes threw and really never buys one
FRA85  +   607d ago
i can't help but think where missing a big piece of the picture here, there must be more to this always online xbox because as it is now (nothing confirmed officially to my knowledge) its such a terrible idea why the hell would they do it.

It just doesn't make sense.
TooTall19  +   607d ago
They are building a hybrid cloud gaming service where certain aspects of the game are calculated on the console, and the more complex calculations are done on a supercomputer and transferred to you through the internet. That's why an internet connection is required.

You heard it here first.
jmc8888  +   607d ago
Nope there is never a requirement to have always online. It adds nothing, and only subtracts. Anything that can be done online, can be done with a person connecting it. Even if they 'automatically sign in', that's COMPLETELY different then requiring someone to be online.

Oh and the article says 'if they do it right'. Well, no, that's impossible. I don't even see where he tried to explain 'what is the right way'. Which again, is impossible, since there is no right way to force people to be online.
CEOSteveBallmer  +   607d ago
One word "OPTIONAL". There is no logic in making a device always online and taking away the "Offline" features. Its like taking an iPad on a country side with no internet only electricity then you decided to take a pic, you pressed the home button and when you clicked the camera icon it says, "Please connect to the internet for this feature to work". Well that's something I tell you. Internet is not electricty. Unless someone invents Cloud internet that has a range and signal that can provide coverage everywhere on the planet even if you live on the antarctic.
edonus  +   607d ago
We have went over this a million times and truth is its not rocket science to see why requiring an internet connection would be a bad thing and thats why I dont think it will happen. And if it did happen there are plenty of examples of it done properly.

If the subscription model is true, I could see this being the primary product that would require always on line. If they give the system at a discount and subsidize your console... if you go that route you know what you are getting into. It will state you must have an internet connection. This means if you plan on going out in to the woods for 4 month increments its your fault.

I think those time limits they give are BS, I could see the system having to check in every 15-30 maybe even 60 days to make sure your bills arent lapsing. It makes no sense for it to disconnect after 3-30 minutes. I could even see a system were if things were really weird you could call an automated system and it could give you an unlock code. Once it verifies your account is current.

The $500 would have none of this stuff. That would actually make the rumors true but just interpreted wrong.
Droid Control  +   607d ago
So M$ can turn your 720 off when the 1440 comes out. No more games. Great future from M$.
gamer7804  +   607d ago
My bet is its always online, but that it isn't a requirement to play games, only to allow background patching, game updates etc.
Biohazard8860  +   607d ago
Always online is a terrible idea just as much as the pizza hut app... like seriously what is microsoft doing hope these always online rumors are false :-/

Iwata Says That The Iwata Asks Series Will Be Back At A Later Date

2h ago - MNN: "We all miss those kooky Iwata Asks segments which delve deeper into the development of Nin... | Wii U

Iwata Talks About The Power Of The Internet

2h ago - MNN: "We all know that the internet is a powerful medium for publishing news and getting content... | Wii U

Watch a Recap of 2014's Best PS3 Games

2h ago - Push Square: "... And we're back. Following on from yesterday's uber-awesome PlayStation Vita vid... | PS3

Far Cry 4 (XB1) Review

Now - Ken finds his inner tiger in Kyrat. | Promoted post

Exclusive Content for Atelier Ayesha Plus: the Alchemist of Dusk in America

2h ago - Today, Koei Tecmo Games and Gust revealed new images and exclusive content of "Atelier Ayesha Plu... | PS Vita