Submitted by Yep 603d ago | opinion piece

Nintendo Skipping E3 Doesn't Change A Thing

One can never get used to the “Nintendo shock”. It seems that every generation — several times each generation, in fact — there come news from Nintendo that confuse us and challenge everything we thought we knew about the gaming giant. This has once again been the case in the past few days. (E3, Industry, Next-Gen, Nintendo, Wii U)

Jagsrock  +   603d ago
The author hits a lot of good points here. People are most definitely looking at this the wrong way. Nintendo has discovered a way to ditch the presentation but still utilize E3. By having Directs they can make the announcements they want when they want and they have said they will be doing so leading up to E3. This essentially gives them a head start on getting real information out there in a time period that is filled heavily with speculation and gamers frothing at the mouth for info. Also people keep saying they are stepping away from the spotlight but all you hear about right now is Nintendo and I feel like this move might actually generate more attention because it was so unexpected that people will now be watching to see how this plays out. So really it's the opposite of running away, it's actually a pretty ballsy move that could end up paying off.
Moonman  +   603d ago
Good points. And also some people have downplayed how Nintendo Directs only "focus on fans". Well, Nintendo's games sell gazillions so the "fans" are all they could consider. But that will not be the case. Nintendo will broadcast all over social media. Any big game announced will get all the coverage in the world.

I could see future E3's going in this direction if it works for Nintendo.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   602d ago
Right, but its just not the same with out all three. It feels off, incomplete.

Its just won't feel right with Nintendo not being there.
imXify  +   602d ago
I just see alot of confusion in the comments since the news came out yesterday.

I prefer saying nothing and just wait.
Knight_Crawler  +   602d ago
Have to agree...the only people who really know or care about E3 are hardcore gamers who visit gaming sites a daily bases.

Go ask a soccer mom or grandma what E3 is and they will look at you like you are crazy.

Nintendo wont lose anything by not showing up - if anything the PS and Xbox loyalist care more about Nintendo not going than actual Nintendo fans.
guitarded77  +   602d ago
Umm... no. The press is who gets in at E3, and it's not just gaming sites. Major publications like USA Today, New York Times and CNN are there. Also, HUGE international publications and media are there from all over Europe, Japan and the rest of the world. The general populous gets news from E3 through different sources, even if they don't know about E3.
#3.1 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
juegosmajicos  +   602d ago
Nintendo IS having an event exclusively for the media. It will be happening at the same time that they will be giving a presentation for distributors, only in a different location. Both will be happening hours before the E3 show proper begins.
Kingthrash360  +   602d ago
to be honest e3 is what got my 60 year old aunt to buy a wii...she saw it on channel 11 news coverage..that basic channel news. I told her about the wiiu and she didnt believe me her words exactly " I haven't seen it on tv, commercials, or on the news." then I told her the price she said "ill stick with the one I got." my point ditching E3 is simply a mistake a marketing mistake.
DivineAssault  +   602d ago
It doesnt change anything except the amount of people that will be watching what they have incoming.. Sure the nintendo directs have a great following but theres still potential customers they should be trying to pursue
HyperBear  +   602d ago
Personally, the only thing it changes is the fact that I won't have to wake up at 10am on Tuesday June 11 and watch the usual Nintendo Media Conference. It will be weird for me, as I've always looked forward to taking the week off to watch every conference and everything live at E3, but without a Nintendo Conference, it'll be different. They will still be at the show though, and I'm guessing they might have acquired more floor space this year in return of not spending money on holding a conference show. It would be REALLY strange if they didn't show up altogether, which is not the case here.
#5 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
GiantFriendlyCrab  +   602d ago
Nintendo needs to build up a LOT of hype for the games for the Wii U. Nintendo Directs are great and all, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING builds up more hype than a big conference in front of millions of people. It seems like Nintendo is admitting defeat just like the Dreamcast did when PS2 came out.
lilbroRx  +   602d ago
Nintendo doesn't thrive on hype. They thrive on originality and substance.

I've never seen a game get hyped to extreme ends and still turn out as good as the hype because hype is always realistic.

Nintendo prefers to be realistic with what they present. You won't see arrogant, exaggerated slogans like "It only does everything" from Nintendo. They, instead, show people having fun with their games which is the focus of their games. Nintendo sells fun an ingenuity.
#6.1 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
GiantFriendlyCrab  +   602d ago
originality and substance my ass, how many times have we saved Peach or Zelda, either by jumping on bad guys or collecting the same motherfucking items in a specific order? :D.
lilbroRx  +   602d ago
That is extreme over simplification/generlization of the games.

Thats just like saying, "how many times have you killed something in Halo/Killzone/Uncharted by shooting a gun?", "How many time have you beaten a boss with in God of War by swinging chains?" "How many times have you won a race in Gran Turismo by driving a car?"

You are intentionally excluding all details and elements down to the super simplified points that allow you to make your ilconceived claim. Like most who are anti-Nintendo, you are bashing the genre defining elements of an unspecified number of games while ignoring 99% of the rest of the content, because that is the only way you can dismiss Nintendo's creativity. You're using an ambiguous blanket argument.

Its a fallacious and immature fanboy tactic.
#6.2 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
agentxk  +   602d ago
You do realize that they can still reach millions of people with a Nintendo Direct announcement. What Nintendo is doing is simply avoiding the theatrics and expenses of the Pre-E3 press conference. I went to it last year, the Nintendo Direct that they had following the conference was much more informative that the horse and pony show at the convention center.
Moonman  +   602d ago
N4G disagrees won't change anything. Can't wait till you "fanboys" get some sweet karma.
MasterCornholio  +   602d ago
All fanboys have suffered the wrath of Karma.

At the beginning of last gen XBOX360 owners bragged about their amazing library of hardcore exclusives and later on Microsoft abandons them for the casuals with a little device known as Kinect.

Playstation fanboys were declaring the absolute victory of the PS3 from launch and bashed the heck out of the Wii and the 360 and look what happened.

Nintendo fanboys mounted a little parade with the Wii U claiming that it was a true next gen console that is so amazing that it would have an amazing amount of 3rd party support and would end up selling more than the Wii. Look what happened with Iwata admitting the other day that the Wii U was a mistake for them.

Karma is a nasty b!tch when shes angry.
agentxk  +   602d ago
Karma needs another rework IMO. Her kit isn't very good.
Moonman  +   602d ago
I am not talking about that kind of sweet karma. I am talking about how future E3's are held or anything related to E3 2013 that might ruffle some feathers of any fanboys. She's a bitch for sure!
kma2k  +   602d ago
Thats not technically true them skipping an E3 presentation does mean they wont be making E3 presentation!
Gamer-Z  +   602d ago
It may not change anything but it shows that Nintendo does not have a lot of confidence in their system.
juegosmajicos  +   602d ago
Doesn't it go the other way around? They have so much confidence in their system that they are experimenting with how they deliver the information to us.

They have so much confidence, they are kicking E3 in the face.

What you really have to wonder is whether they are ballsy or just crazy. As per my article above, I go with the first.
jonboi24  +   602d ago
Might just be me but having the next Smash Bros revealed on a prerecorded video rather than a big stage, just doesn't seem right. I want the major hype and build up that only a press conference can give. Though nonetheless still looking forward to that game. I thought that Nintendo could really have used E3 build some hype for Wii U. You just can't get the same amount of raw emotion and hype from an E3 press conference from a nintendo direct. But I'm sure Nintendo will do their best.
Megaplaynate  +   602d ago
So, Nintendo fans have been saying for months that E3 will change everything for nintendo and bring the wii u back to the gaming race, then it suddenly doesn't matter if nintendo skips E3, that it's just money spending, takes away time from devs and the nintendo direct will achieve the same ending.
I was expecting a big show from nintendo, but now I don't know what to think.
juegosmajicos  +   602d ago
"Nintendo fans" are not all the same people, and they have not all been saying the same things. Generalizations like that make for fine drama, but they are not grounded in reality.

In fact, I had my own preconceptions about what "Nintendo fans" were thinking right now, and expected my article to be met with a lot of skepticism.
Realplaya  +   602d ago
As A dihard fan I can tell you I never said wait for E3 I honestley prefer the Nintendo Directs.

1. the Focus Is on Nintendo products.

2. The video and sound quality is great and I can watch it on my 60" Plasma Tv.

3. i don't have to search the web to see what i want i can watch whichever video I want.
Megaplaynate  +   602d ago
Well, the generalisation was my mistake, but I believe It's not that far away from the truth, on n4g and other forums some fans were saying to "wait for E3", so I found it kinda funny that the autor is now saying that it doesn't change a thing. That's kinda like sony saying the move is not a rip off of the wii mote but an improvement or microsoft saying gamers will love always-online.
About the article it is true that you are competing for atention but that's why the conferences are set at different times, we also don't know how effective the nintendo directs are compared to E3, and I don't believe nintendo has the press by the balls cause we wouldn't be seeing so much nintendo doom articles (which are ridiculous).
#12.1 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
1upgamer99  +   602d ago
I sent Nintendo an E-Mail, here is a copy of Nintendo's response to me.

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your concern. Nintendo will be doing things a bit different at E3 this year. Instead of holding one large event, we'll be holding two smaller events for two different audiences.

While the audiences will be different between the two events, both will occur on the Tuesday morning of E3 (June 11) which is the date and time period the public has come to expect for Nintendo to deliver E3 news.

At the Nokia theater we'll meet with business partners (retailers, publishers, analysts, etc.) from the NOA territory and discuss our plans for driving the business and providing tailored information that this group finds useful to their operations. Nintendo has done these same type of business meetings at past E3 shows, but has not in the past few years. This year we are returning to that business partner meeting format.

Prior to the show opening, we'll invite a small group of media to play our games. We will have a strong line-up of beloved franchise experiences available for immediate hands-on play.

We will also continue to provide information in the form of Nintendo Direct leading up to E3 as well. While I can certainly understand your concerns over this, as it may be different then what you are used to, this is a similar format we have used in the past.

Sincerely,

Dale Thompson
Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo will be at E3, some people are acting like they are skipping it, and that is not the case.
#13 (Edited 602d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
mochachino  +   602d ago
So he's basically saying "my website's design space is too limited to present to news comprehensively, so I'm happy Nintendo skipping E3"

what a douche.
Yep  +   600d ago
*facepalm*

JUJU Review - TXH

18m ago - Neil writes "After releasing evil spirits into his world, JUJU is off on a mission, a mission to... | PC

2014 Takeaway: Just Give Me Games That Work

1h ago - The year has been disappointing but not from an ambition or conceptual standpoint. It's just anno... | Culture

How Prismata aims to separate random strategy from the rest of the deck.

1h ago - Continue Play's Dale Morgan recently sat down for a chat with Elyot Grant, founder and lead desig... | PC

GTA IV + Expansion DLC for £5.79 on PS3

1h ago - Dealspwn writes: We imagine most of you already have GTA IV on PS3, but maybe you never got aroun... | PS3

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

Xbox One Console + four AAA games for £319.99

1h ago - Dealspwn writes: Cutting it close for an Xbox One console bundle aren't we? Well, there are some... | Xbox One