Submitted by Rearden 645d ago | opinion piece

Why Sony won’t announce PlayStation 4 price and launch date at E3

Sony will likely hold off revealing the PlayStation 4 price and launch date until after E3. (E3, PS4, Sony)

FrigidDARKNESS  +   645d ago
They already given a price point 399.99 and an Oct./Nov. Launch. The retailers will be atr3 so they have to announce something.
kingxtreme81  +   645d ago
Sony gave no such information. Stop spreading BS.

@disagrees: Care to share a link where Sony, not speculation by the media, but Sony themselves confirms the price and release month?
#1.1 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(57) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
JoGam  +   645d ago
Ignore those disagrees, That's what those people do for a living. They just jump from article to article disagreeing.
Reverent  +   645d ago
There really needs to at least be an "ignorant" down-bubble option.
kreate  +   645d ago
There's only 3 disagrees.
Vs 40 agree I see at the moment.

I also agree w ur comment.
syanara  +   644d ago
I'm not saying Sony Announced anything about Price or Release Date but I did think there was an interview with Andrew House that pinned a price point at around 300 Euros and a European launch in 2013. I'd have to look for it but the interview seemed pretty unbelievable to me so I'll just wait til they do announce something. Which is going to be pretty likely at E3 especially now that Nintendo has been backing out of it.

The smart marketing move by Sony would be to announce release date and price at E3 because that is easily where they will have the most press attention and consumer attention. Additionally to be announcing such a thing in the States would be in-line with Sony's move to announce the console in New-York PS4 is a perfect chance for Sony to get some of the Western audience that they missed last gen.

If Sony is smart they will announce Price and release date at E3, if Microsoft is smart they will do the same ;)
KwietStorm  +   645d ago
Yea? Where exactly did they give this information? Feel free to PM me, so long as you don't link me to a store advertisement.
fermcr  +   645d ago
Sony hasn't given any price point.

They are waiting for the competition... then will price the PS4 accordingly.

As for me i wouldn't mind the PS4 and next Xbox being 300€ at launch... or 350€ for the prinium pack witch includes 1 year of psn+.
#1.3 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
4lc4pon3  +   645d ago
Im not worried about the price honestly. Im willing myself to pay anything for the PS4 honestly. Im betting

400-500 or 500-600 if they release a PS4/Vita bundle. I dont care what the cost is honestly The PS4 will be sitting next to my PS3 period
Nitrowolf2  +   645d ago
I hope not, I want a price and a release date. if anything Sony is handling this the exact same way they did with the NGP on PS Day, which turned out to be the PS Vita + Pricing/Launch revealed at E3.
jcnba28  +   645d ago
The longer sony waits to announce the PS4's price the more people will become impatient, lose interest and opt out for another console.
#3 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(30) | Report | Reply
KosmoCrisis  +   645d ago
Their major concern is releasing first. There are a ton of posts on ps4daily that indicate this will be least expensive console release in history.
nukeitall  +   645d ago
I doubt it with 8GBs of GDDR5 that is hugely expensive to manufacture and likely to encounter shortages.

Nobody really uses that amount of RAM let alone in that configuration.

The PS4 is likely to be costly especially as Sony can't afford to gobble up the initial losses in investing into the PS4.

That is the reality of it. I don't think the next Xbox is going to be cheap either.

Just look at the cost of the Wii U.
Gamer1982  +   645d ago
The wiiu is expensive thanks to the handheld controller thats why if you havnt noticed they still arent selling extra controllers yet. The actual console is very cheap to make.
#3.1.2 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
Rearden  +   645d ago
Doubt it. Once they reveal the console, most gamers will make up their mind to buy it, whether its 300 or 400 bucks.
MasterCornholio  +   645d ago
" and opt out for another console."

Like the Wii U?

I dont think so the people who are interested in the PS4 will wait because at the moment Microsoft hasnt even announced their console yet just an announcement of the unveiling of the system but even then we wont know for sure if they will release the price at the event.
#3.3 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
KwietStorm  +   645d ago
I don't understand why, unless you're basing your opinion on something you came up with on your own. You're saying people will make up their mind and move on to the competition, as if the competition already released with Sony not yet announcing their own date or price. Obviously not the case. Both Sony and Microsoft are at square one right now.
#3.4 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   645d ago
Opt out for what? Certainly not the WiiU, unless a flood of amazing titles starts hitting right about now, and even then I wouldn't expect most people to completely skip a next gen console for a current gen one. MS hasn't shown anything, so there's nothing to opt to there, and depending on which rumors turn out to be true it might not be an attractive option for a lot of people.
UnholyLight  +   645d ago
You're somewhat right. A sales pitch involves a conversation between two people where someone can ask you a lot of questions about your product, and have you answer all of their questions. Not knowing the price of the console by E3 would be a mistake IMO.
tjames  +   645d ago
Makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if withholding the price is also just a way of hedging their bets. If Xbox hype falls flat and everybody's chomping at the bit for PS4 come Gamescom, why not announce a slightly higher price than you might have otherwise. If things are looking more competitive, you can slash it before it even hits the shelves to gain an edge.
MonkeyNinja  +   645d ago
The article makes sense, but I'm guessing that if the price is $399 like rumors suggest, they'll let us know @ E3.

If it's $400+, people will be less interested, in which case it may be better to wait till Gamescon or a Sony event similar to February's, after E3.

But if the price is $399 (or less) it makes sense to let people know at E3 so pre-orders can start flooding in. Otherwise, I think a lot of people might hold off until they get an official price.

I'm sure they'll still have games to show after E3 as well, to tide us over till launch and keep the hype going.
#5 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
latinillusion81  +   645d ago
I doubt they won't show the price and release date. If Sony is smart, they will give us both along with showing us a couple of games.
Riderz1337  +   645d ago
Holiday 2013.
MysticStrummer  +   645d ago
I can see why they wouldn't announce the price unless MS does before then, but they claim to already know when the release date is so they might as well tell us that. I need to update the countdown on my phone with accurate info. ;)
BitbyDeath  +   645d ago
I doubt it, most people won't pre-order til they have this info and if rumours are right about an October release then August doesn't give much time for people to get out there.
dkgshiz  +   645d ago
Why wouldn't they show the price at E3 is the question. Its more then likely a 90% chance they will reveal the price. It only makes sense.
NobleRed  +   645d ago
Stupid article. Of course they will announce the price and the release date. Just like they did on the last e3 before the ps3 was released.
boing1  +   645d ago
They will.
Dlacy13g  +   645d ago
I honestly don't think price is a big concern for the PS4. I mean if we logically look at what is in the PS4 and rumored to be in the next xbox both machines have a launch window price of $400-$500. Does it matter if PS4 says they are $400 first or second? Both machines are going to be very close in price point.

What will matter more is the launch date. It will give who ever comes first a slight bump in sales this year. That bump could help determine who has a successful launch vs not having one.
GalacticEmpire  +   644d ago
I think if this generation has taught us one thing it's that even against a year head start you just can't stop the Playstation brand.
gigoran  +   645d ago
Are you for real? You can't be that dumb, right? If you believe that Sony is going to pass up its most major presentation where the whole world of gamers is watching then you really have a serious mental problem. Didn't see you say the same thing about the next Xbox. Oh, that part makes sense.
bluepowerz   645d ago | Spam
dcbronco  +   645d ago
I think the article is wrong about why Nintendo withheld specs and price. It was because they knew they were charging too much for what they were offering. Sony will be different because $400 will be seen as low for the specs. And the launch price of the PS3 was the consoles main problem. Sony will put people at ease quickly. There is no reason for either console to be more than $400.
#16 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jay2  +   644d ago
I dissagree. We're going to get a release date 25th may on the first th ad. Let non gamers or casual gaming see the date. Bigger audence
BatRastered  +   644d ago
They need to announce a concrete release date and price so sites like amazon can start taking pre-orders.

#IDARB Available Early for Xbox One

33m ago - It’s not February quite yet, but Xbox Live members can now grab their free copy of @IDARBGame | Xbox One

Seven Improvements TT Games Needs To Make To Lego Avengers

34m ago - GI There is no shortage of Lego games – they seem to propagate with the speed of a rabbit farm... | PC

Borderlands 2 lead writer Anthony Burch is leaving Gearbox

35m ago - Almost five years ago, Anthony Burch went from being a Destructoid staff member to a Destructoid... | Industry

Iron Knights Review | AppGamer

35m ago - It is very true that the hack-and-slash genre of games has become more and more popular. Read the... | iPhone

SMITE World Championships LIVE January 9th to 11th

Now - You can watch the games and enter giveaways over at http://beta.cursevoice.com/smite-worlds | Promoted post

Stunt School: Skyrim

36m ago - All the tricks you can pull off in Tamriel with horses, dragons and really, really big mountains. | PC