Submitted by FanOfRootBeer 457d ago | opinion piece

The PS4 Must Save The Vita

CheatCC says: "For any PlayStation fan that soaked in the entire two-hour PS4 announcement a couple months back, you may remember a brief mention of a remote play feature that worked in conjunction with various handheld devices. Of course, Sony was sure to give their own portable platform center stage to showcase this feature by providing a live demo of one of their exclusive games in development, Knack. From the gameplay footage, the game ran smooth and looked like it would be just as fun on the Vita as it would on the PS4. So does the successful pitch mean everyone will snatch up a Vita when they purchase their PlayStation 4?" (Industry, PS Vita, PS4)

NastyLeftHook0  +   457d ago
it will definitely.

lets hope for better sales.
bothebo  +   457d ago
Strongly disagree. What would motivate people to spend another $250 for an optional controller for your PS4? Maybe hardcore fans of the Sony brand will buy one, but haven't most of them already?

What the Vita needs is EXCLUSIVES. Motivate the average person to go buy one! Give us awesome games like Personna 4, LBPV, ACL, and Soul Sacrifice. Games like Tearaway make me excited because it gives the Vita a sense of identity where I know I can only experience it on the Vita with some of its awesome features.

The thought that people think a $400 to $500 console will sell a $250 handheld is beyond stupid.
#1.1 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(15) | Report | Reply
bicfitness  +   457d ago
Exclusive games, yes. There are plenty, but a lot of them haven't made it out of Japan yet. Sony would be wise to pay a few million and get some Western AAA titles on their system too - that aren't CoD. Bioshock, Battlefield. That sort of content. And the Vita won't be $250 for ever either. I would be shocked if it doesn't get a pricecut announcement at E3.

Vita is around 5-6 million sold so far and that's nothing to scoff at. Its already out of "dead" territory. Not to mention the 3rd party software attach rate (see: Soul Sacrifice - one region only so far too and 250K, Persona 4G, CoD and Assassin's Creed) is far beyond what one would expect.

So the ecosystem is there and its a gamers handheld for people that want console games on the go, but the price of entry needs to be adjusted to get more developers and consumers on board.

P.S. Soul Sacrifice is one of the best original fantasy/ horror games to come out since Demon's Souls. It's truly incredible. Does away with all the tedium that can be in hunting genre games and stabs fun right in the gut.
#1.1.1 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report
3-4-5  +   457d ago
It's an option controller that can play Vita,PSP,PS1,PS2 games + PS4 games.......

Eventually this Vita thing is going to look really appealing to more people and it will start to sell.
Zezo  +   457d ago
Honestly, the Vita could've been so much better if it had full BC, then it would render the PSP totally obsolete. I don't know many people who want to re-buy a game just to be able to play it on their Vita, add to the fact that in order to re-buy the game, you also have to buy expensive memory to store it. Waste of money bro-ski.
Serjikal_Strike  +   457d ago
I'll help out by buying a vita along with a ps4
avengers1978  +   457d ago
It's not a must have... It's nice that it has support for it... And congrats to Sony for continuing to give gamers options. But I won't be running out and getting a vita because I'm getting a PS4
Blaze929  +   457d ago
Sony, at least with first party PS4 games, should include some kind of free downloadable Vita version if the PS4 version is bought new - kind of like an online pass.

Besides exclusive games for the Vita, I don't know what else could save it. Ports are not the answer (PSP syndrome) and spin offs of console games are just spin offs of console games.

They need to start making games that only appear on Vita to make people buy a Vita. Having a mini experience of a game that's also on PS3/PS4 - does not help. Especially if you own a PS3/PS4.

Sony really has to figure out wtf they want to do with the Vita.
suwadegucuj   457d ago | Spam
lovegames718  +   457d ago
Smh lol oh boy here it goes!!!! Regurgitation of articles over and over again. Its like these journalists dont have anything good to write about other than the articles others post. Reminds me of a big Nintendo software %uckfest lol regurgitation and stale as hell lol

By the way Soul Sacrifice is awesome!!!!
bothebo  +   457d ago
Yeah it is! Can't wait to see if pre-orders went up after the demo. I pre-ordered it like an hour into the demo.
Trago1337  +   457d ago
How the hell will another console save the vita?

Software sells hardware. The thing needs GAMES, and I'm not talking about good games or great games, I'm talking about MUST HAVE games.

PS4 functionality is still nice, but that's no gonna send vita's flying off store shelves.
14Feb-R  +   457d ago
I have been saying this for a long time but people just realised that. It also need a price drop for memory and games.

GTA fans will buy it if it got gta game. Same with gt/tekken/cod/bf/rpg...etc But they need to make them serious not like Declassified ..

Ps4 will help the vita too by unlocking some of it's features.
#4.1 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheKayle1  +   457d ago
we need to save the whales
LOGICWINS  +   457d ago
"So does the successful pitch mean everyone will snatch up a Vita when they purchase their PlayStation 4?"

Absolutely! After spending $400-$500 on a system, people will definitely want to snatch up another $200 system.
Pro_TactX  +   456d ago
If it is true that PS4 games will all be remote playable on the Vita, then that is actually enough to justify the purchase for me.
ApolloTheBoss  +   457d ago
All the Vita really needs is a price drop. Word of mouth will do the rest.
jcnba28  +   457d ago
PS4 save the vita? LOL

Sony should leave the handheld market, it will save them a lot of money.
#8 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Dan_scruggs  +   457d ago
The only thing that will save the vita is cross play for top tier franchises and a much lower price. That includes the massive ripoff they call a memory card.
majiebeast  +   457d ago
Vita and wiiU are in the same boat except the Vita can survive in the Japanese market and the wiiU cant. Cause most Japanese people play games on their handhelds, because of long commutes and limited space.
Bowzabub  +   457d ago
Must have a bundle of PS4 & Vita.
Dark5tar1  +   457d ago
It doesn't NEED to save the Vita but it should.
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   457d ago
NO Vita needs to Support itself. Vita shouldnt need support from another system to do well.
#13 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Roper316  +   457d ago
can't argue with that, if it needs to piggy back to be successful that is not good. It needs to be able to thrive on it's own and only be enhanced when paired with the PS4.
Williamson  +   457d ago
Ever since I got my Vita ive been gaming on it more than my ps3. I think im starting to prefer handhelds to consoles, and with the vita you get console quality games.
jakmckratos  +   457d ago
I hope Vita can save Vita. Sony makes it's fans by having the most plentiful quality titles. That is the POLAR opposite of what we've seen on the Vita thus far.
Sketchy_Galore  +   457d ago
This sounds like an exciting idea for a game, when's it released?
PiperMCFierceson  +   457d ago
The vita is cool I like it with some heavy integration will be super day one PS4!!!
KillrateOmega  +   457d ago
...I can't carry it for you, Vita,...but I can carry YOU!!
#18 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
FlyingFoxy  +   457d ago
Vita's a great device, not sure why people won't buy it other than the fact it costs more than a 3DS.

if you'd rather buy an overpriced Ipad to a Vita you are nuts and are not a true gamer.
GribbleGrunger  +   457d ago
I wonder what will be saving the Vita in another 4,5,6 or 7 years?
#20 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
tiffac008  +   457d ago
The Vita needs a price drop in the west, a permanent free memory card for every purchase, more exclusives would definitely be welcomed and make all future indie games Cross Buy won't hurt either but most of all Sony should stop supporting the PSP in the Land of the Rising Sun and get all those developers on the Vita and help the games with the western audience get localized.
#21 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
YoloSwag  +   457d ago
Perfect.
Kingthrash360  +   457d ago
the vita doesn't need saveing for the 152,973rd time....

that said the ps4 will help sales...for sure streaming ps4 games I must do!
all these vita is dead articles have me thinking....does the vita have to pass the 3ds in sales for the articles to stop?... will that then make these articles shift to 3ds saying its dying? to me it seems doom articles will never stop no matter how successful or how much a failure a system is. imo a successful system depends on if the system satisfies the customer who bought it..dont care about numbers because im a gamer...not a salesman for sony or Nintendo. its their job to satisfy me and hope I buy their product to build numbers...its not my job to worry about numbers. if they satisfy me its a success.
#22 (Edited 457d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
N311V  +   456d ago
I actually bought a Vita because of the announced PS4 remote play. Obviously I haven't used remote play yet but regardless I'm in love with Vita. Such an awesome little console.
o-Sunny-o  +   456d ago
I found nothing wrong with my Vita I got too much to play because I play more than one type of game. I love Vita in short. T-T Now go buy one see if you can be a Vita lover like me. Uncharted, LBP, Gravity Rush, Persona 4, Wipeout 2048, Disgea 3, Shinobido 2(Tenchi fans), Need For Speed Most Wanted, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue, Rayman O, Atelier Totori, EDF, and soon Soul Sacrifice. I love them all what's really wrong? What game do you want to see on Vita? Well support them and they will get umm support from Devs.
SpinalRemains138  +   456d ago
What's w/ the sentiment of Vita being on death's door? It isn't. It's not selling as intended obviously, but it is selling. The sales are going to pick up. The thing about Vita is this; it's such a quality handheld device that the more it sells, the more others will see it and also buy one. It's going to be exponential because it's just that awesome. It's going to take the handheld market by the throat eventually.

Sometimes the best takes time.

Metroid Could Use a Reboot

1m ago - If done poorly, reboots are harshly criticized as the last dying breath of a failing brand, or a... | Wii

Valiant Hearts: The Great War Review | GameGrin

1m ago - GameGrin's Matt Young writes: "News just in from our brave boys on the Ubisoft Front: another gam... | PC

Of Guards and Thieves Review | GameGrin

1m ago - GameGrin's Ryan Davies writes: "Let’s make a comparison here: Of Mice and Men is a modern masterp... | PC

FML Gamer Episode 5 - PS Vita: The Prodigal Son?

1m ago - Drago1983 writes: What's up Gamers?! Welcome to another episode of FML Gamer. Today, I talk about... | PS Vita

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

Super Tank Wars Coming to PC, Steam, Desura and Linux

1m ago - Carl Williams writes, "Remember playing Combat on the Atari 2600? How about Street Fighter II? No... | PC