Submitted by Lionheart377 607d ago | opinion piece

'Heavy Rain' proves AAA games can still take chances

StickSkills said, "In a world where 3.4 million Tomb Raider copies sold is a number that falls short of a publisher’s expectations, it’s no wonder publishers are in fear of investing in these AAA titles. They are a business first a foremost and turning a profit is the only way to continue existing and publishing the games people want to play. Clearly, though, Quantic Dream presents a counter argument, saying that betting big can pay off in the end." (Heavy Rain , PS3, Quantic Dream)

Godchild1020  +   607d ago
Heavy Rain came at a time where (Some) gamers wanted something refreshing and new. It's the same with Alan Wake and L.A Noire, at least it was from me.

I expect Beyond Two Souls to do the same. Its coming at a time where we are just getting nothing but sequels to games we have played already.
#1 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
thirtyandnerdy  +   607d ago
I so badly wanted to love Alan Wake. I just couldn't stand having a narrator describe aloud, my every action and decision. I totally agree with what you're saying though. =)
1nsomniac  +   607d ago
With my PlayStation being my main go to console I have to admit I think Alan Wake was one of the best games of this generation. So good I actually bought it twice once for my Xbox & again for my PC. I think I've completed it about 5 times now altogether.

Awesome game, never understood the hate for it!

I agree about the timing of the releases though there's a lot of staleness going on so anything a bit different will always do well as long as its half decent.
#1.1.1 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report
combatcash  +   607d ago
I loved both Alan wake and Heavy Rain, but lets be real here indigo prophecy was the same type of game not sure if any of you played it but it was pretty much the same experience as heavy rain.

I'm just glad they didn't give on those type of games

Stefanrules7  +   607d ago
If you look at a lot of the most successful games of all time you will notice that most of them had something new that gdmes before it didnt
BiggCMan  +   607d ago
Ummm, Call of Duty.
Stefanrules7  +   607d ago
Lol i forgot to put underneath to not count games like cod
nolifeking  +   606d ago
@steph

Why? So your comment could make sense?
dcbronco  +   607d ago
N4G proves that people have read other peoples articles.
Why o why  +   607d ago
Some people like variety...
dcbronco  +   605d ago
And some people like articles about the article they read an hour ago.
NastyLeftHook0  +   607d ago
variety is always good
sly-Famous  +   607d ago
HR is a brilliant game unfortunately thinking outside the box does not get the credit it desrves, not with mediocre games like COD around i.e FPS.(Not that all FPS are midiocre, but you get the point)
Veneno  +   606d ago
If you ask me HR got just the right recognition it deserved. As progressive as it was to the evolution of videogames, it was still a flawed experience in some major ways. Beyond 2 Souls is going to be an all out polished experience. Its got so much going for it . If it doesnt do as well as HR then yeah I would say it would be disappointing.
josephayal  +   607d ago
Why isn't Heavy Rain on both PC and Xbox?
R_aVe_N  +   607d ago
If you have to ask that question well you don't really know gaming much. Heavy Rain is owned by Sony why on earth would it be on an Xbox?
CGI-Quality  +   607d ago
Actually, Heavy Rain was published by Sony, but Quantic still owns the property. You have the right idea, though. It's the same reason Gears of War isn't on PS3.
#7.1.1 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report
fsfsxii  +   607d ago
He's a troll, and you fed him.
CEOSteveBallmer  +   606d ago
Hahaha He's a proven troll. There was this article he said the Wii-U is already better than the PS4 and Xbox 720. Everything he says is the opposite to piss everyone. I got trolled too because i Fed him numerous times and its not worth it. Its like reasoning with a wall
Serjikal_Strike  +   607d ago
Why don't you own a xbox and pc?
wenaldy  +   607d ago
Running out your pills/ medication again?

please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watc...
Smashbro29  +   607d ago
The problem being it was barely a game.
e-p-ayeaH  +   607d ago
The gameplay is the story itself, a relaxing experience that can enjoyed by many types of gamers and non-gamers.

we need more games like that.
#8.1 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
DoomeDx  +   607d ago
Relaxing experience!?

I was on the edge of my seat the final 40% of the game! *Minor spoilers* Cops chasing Ethan, Ethan having to kill an innocent father etc!

Heavy Rain is amazing! But not relaxing haha
CGI-Quality  +   607d ago
If it were a problem, it wouldn't be the success that it is, now would it?
#8.2 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Salooh  +   607d ago
I don't see you guys say that to walking dead. It's a game because you controle the story in it and you still move the characters. It's like a puzzle game. You don't run and shoot, It focus on puzzles and make you use your mind. Same with heavy rain . You use your mind by choosing what you want in the story. It's just not your type that's why you don't consider it a game.
Irishguy95  +   607d ago
That's not true, Heavy Rain is very action oriented(despite what Cage believes). Half of the gameplay involved timing and button mashing as quick as possible.
Salooh  +   607d ago
It does have action but it's not meaningless. It have a reason for being there not like playing call of duty campaign just putting shocking things like riding a horse and kill hundreds and confront tanks and H while riding that horse xD. That's what cage said in the meeting but people just like to complain instead of taking the good points of his talk. That's why i agree with him. Gaming need to grow up or we will get sick of it. I'm already bored. If wasn't of games like the last of us / beyond / / mgs / gta / gt6 / watch dogs ..etc i would quit gaming. They bring us new experiences ..

It's like a movie but you controle it which means it's a game and it's better then movies for letting you choose the path of the story instead of just watching it..
#8.3.2 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
BitbyDeath  +   607d ago
"Half of the gameplay involved timing and button mashing as quick as possible."

Do you only play Kinect games by chance?
You just described pretty much every game ever created that uses a controller, congrats.
#8.3.3 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report
Godchild1020  +   607d ago
You do know that all games are interactive experiences right, or at least the good ones are. If you don't get a feeling of emotion or a feeling of anything towards the story, person or setting of the game, the developers are not doing a good job at making that game what it should be.

Look at Red Dead, GTA, Saint Row, they all do the same thing but have an end goal and that is the give the gamer an interactive experience with the protagonist. From the beginning of the game you know what they went through and as you continue the story you understand why they act like that towards people or whatever. I'm sure if any of you have played either one of those games and got to the midpoint or at least the end of the game, you felt something towards the characters in the game and/or the protagonist.

Heavy Rain is no different, it just gave you a direct path and you had a different control set up. You still used buttons and the analog sticks to play Heavy Rain, so how does that make it less of a game, then anything else you play on your console (The Walking Dead and Back to the future, both games made by Telltale)?
#8.4 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
CGI-Quality  +   607d ago
A-to-the-men.
supraking951  +   607d ago
Barely a game? Look at The Walking Dead which won GOTY awards, Heavy Rain came out long before Walking Dead game and it was exclusive to just ps3. "A game" nowadays are just Call of Duty clones or rehashes like Tomb Raider reboot that dont do anything new and just copy fomulas of games we played many times.
clintos59  +   607d ago
The Walking Dead got its ideas from Heavy Rain only reason it got more recognition is because ppl love zombies and the series TWD but yet ppl never give David Cage credit for it. He is the only one keeping this genre alive nowadays but ppl who never played heavy rain or indigo prophecy will never give it credit until they finally play TWD that won goty last year & now know why heavy rain was such an awesome game.
user7693958  +   607d ago
start the game and don't use the control and tell me how it go..
lol..

they create a new genre.. and one that has over 2 millions fans..

if their next game budged is 40mil... they will still do twice that easily and it will sale for sure since they are the only ones doing it and the demand will be always there and grow.
plus the game is that good... it deserve more sales.
#8.6 (Edited 607d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Smashbro29  +   606d ago
I'd just like to say that many many great games have little to no story but are instead about a challenge put in front of you to play. Heavy Rain just feels like a game studio decided they wanted to make a movie but had to throw in some bits where you do something.
Veneno  +   606d ago
For me playing Heavy Rain was almost better than watching a movie because I was in control of the characters. I felt like I was in the game. Honestly, reading your comment makes me believe that you didn't play the game, because then you would know perfectly well that the outcome of the story was different depending on how you played. By your logic, every other game is like playing a weak movie with some controls thrown on it and no matter how you play the outcome is always the same. This is how HR is different, and better, at what it does.
MooseyXTC  +   607d ago
JASONNNNNNNN
JASONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Heavy Rain was so dumb; it was GOOD, but dumb as hell.
Scott Shelby #1
Dazel  +   607d ago
One of the best games this Gen imo
HmongAmerican  +   606d ago
Game like HR appealed to more of the grown up audiences and most of PS3 owners are adults. I am 30's and when I see game like HR, LA Noire, The Last Of Us, and Beyond Two Souls I know these game are for made for me and will support them anyway I could.
#11 (Edited 606d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
CanadianTurtle  +   606d ago
I don't think you can have an AAA game without taking at least some sort of risk or innovation.
Uncharted 2
Gears of War
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy
Halo Combat Evolved
Legend of Zelda (NES)

All these games have done things that previous games were too scared to do. Innovation is and always will be the key to success

Toys R Us amiibo cancellation caused by technical issue

4m ago - Toys R Us has issued a statement to Wii U Daily regarding the recently cancelled Amiibo figures. | Wii U

7 Things theHunter: Primal Should Have in the Future

8m ago - theHunter: Primal is currently in early access. Here are 7 things that should be added before its... | PC

Tetris Ultimate (PlayStation 4) Review - Push Square

12m ago - Push Square: "Framerate fluctuations render Tetris Ultimate almost unplayable, and while these is... | PS4

Top 5 Emotional Games of 2014

13m ago - OnlySP: As the year draws to a close, let’s take a look back at the Top 5 tear-jerking and/or hea... | PC

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

Depth Big Catch Update Now Available

51m ago - Depth is a PC game now currently available on Steam, and if you have not seen it then taking a lo... | PC