Submitted by VirtualKatz 362d ago | opinion piece

What Happens to PlayStation Plus in the Next Generation?

VG Republic Writes: One of the biggest draws to the PlayStation 3 is all of the content that is provided for a very minimal fee through PlayStation Plus. Sony was praised heavily when it came about back at E3 mid-last year and the masses flocked to claim the content offered, which seems to get better and better each passing month. Both the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation Vita, which was later announced as being supported, have seen a slew of titles hit the market and the slogan of the “Instant Game Collection” is as accurate of statement that there could be. The biggest question after the announcement of the coming system, the PlayStation 4, is will there be an announcement at E3 a year later about the support of PlayStation Plus for the next iteration in the franchise’s console offering? Are we going to see the same support right off the bat for the PS4, or will it take time for Sony to back the next system with games that are designed for the PS4 with PlayStation Plus? Lets take a look at what options that Sony has and what we, as gamers, might be in-store for. (Next-Gen, PS4)

NastyLeftHook0  +   362d ago
that is something i have to renew, i want to try out all Of the next gen projects and im sure they will have some goodies in for ps+ owners come launch.
#1 (Edited 362d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
xxLuckyStrike  +   362d ago
Sony has scrapped most of PS identity for PS4 and have taken a more MS Xbox 360 like approach. The only thing remotely familiar is the DS4. New hardware, Aggressive marketing, No more XMB, No more cell. Sony done caved in to MS strategy. So I imagine the PSN/+ will be overhauled as well. The only question is what Sony services they will charge for. Gaikai wont be free. But whatever it is you're sure to get equal value in return, Something MS needs to work on
#1.1 (Edited 362d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(42) | Report | Reply
coolasj  +   362d ago
What are you talking about? It's a new console. There's going to always be these things such as,
New Hardware.
Aggressive marketing.
New UI.
The controller is new too.

It's the PS4, not PS3.5.
sengoku  +   362d ago
you can bet your bottom, sony is going to bring psn plus to the next level.
they have been happy with it as well as it's users.
so why would they change that now?

the most basic change would be to just add PS4 contend and keep price and support for all other platforms just the same.
like ps1 and ps2 games get on plus, ps3 will slowly over the next years be less dominant.

they might bring another deluxe version of it with extended warranty some gaikai / netflix support but the basic will probably stay the same
#1.1.2 (Edited 362d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
sinncross  +   362d ago
I think Sony needs to establish that either the current PS+ offering will continue onto the PS4 with Gaikai allowing the playing of the titles offered for PS3, or that PS4 gets its own version of PS+ (which also ties into the PSV). But they need to make this clear.

Either way I am enjoying my PS+ offer. Its been worthwhile.
#1.2 (Edited 362d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MaxXAttaxX  +   361d ago
PS Plus will carry over to the PS4 the same way it did to the PS Vita.
Gimmemorebubblez  +   362d ago
PSN=Free, digital downloads, photo sharing, video sharing
PsPlus=50$ per year,30% off all digital downloads, Gakai, Free Psone and 2 Classics, PSrewards

How about that?
#2 (Edited 362d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(15) | Report | Reply
FamilyGuy  +   362d ago
30% off all digital downloads wouldn't make sense, maybe 10% off and more on the sony published titles. 30% would cause retail stores to boycott selling PS4 games, consoles and accessories as it would eat into their potential sales drastically.
Gimmemorebubblez  +   362d ago
So you Don't like generosity???

I'm just joking, you are right.
Jaqen_Hghar  +   362d ago
This man speaks the truth! A man hopes that PSplus covers everything at it's current rate for PS4 because a man is already subbed till late 2014. A man doesn't see how they could discontinue it now when they've already brought it to Vita so a man believes that it will come in June as an E3 2014 announcement to PS4.
LOGICWINS  +   362d ago
Sony could be slick and grandfather all current PS Plus subscribers, guaranteeing that they will be locked into the $50 PS Plus plan for as long as they subscribe.

For NEW PS Plus members, Sony would only offer one $99 tier that offers freebies for the PS3, Vita, AND the PS4(along with Gaikai). This would make current PS3 owners want to hold on to their PS3 instead of trading it in. In this case, to get the BEST value out of Plus, ud have to own all three consoles simultaneously.
#3 (Edited 362d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
MikeMyers  +   362d ago
This is actually quite a concern of mine. How is Sony going to transfer over to the new generation? I am a Plus member and if my subscriptions runs past the PS4 release date what happens with my PSN ID if I want to set it up on my new system? Will Sony allow both the PS3 and PS4 to be linked together on my one account? Will my Plus subscription carry over to the PS4? Will all of my Trophies and store bought items carry over to the PS4?

It's becoming a larger issue now than when Sony dropped BC on the PS3. That is because our usernames now have a history that many of us will want to carry over into the new generation. So it will be interesting how well Sony implements all of that.
grailly  +   361d ago
I was wondering about this, I have the impression that with the added gaikai PS+ will have to be more expensive and I was wondering how they would do it. hopefully, they'll do it your way. I don't think they wan't to be not having all that revenue though, I think they'll just tier it, and have a ps++, maybe transforming all the current subscriptions into ps++ until they run out.
LOGICWINS  +   361d ago
YUP, I'll GLADLY pay $99 a year, but I doubt we'll see any PS4 games offered for at least a year. People won't buy Watch Dogs outright if they knew they could just get it through their PS++ sub. I'm curious to see how they'll justify the extra $50.
MasterCornholio  +   362d ago
Hopefully

A netlflix like streaming service of PSone, PS2 and PS3 titles via Gaikai.

One could dream but with my 100MB internet connection im dying for something like this to happen.
Bathyj  +   362d ago
Gaiplus
OrangePowerz  +   362d ago
Good question I was wondering the same.

BC we can already scrap unless titles are streamed. People should st op going on about BC for PS4 with the architecture being so different that cant work.

I'm sure they continue on PS3 and Vita with the free games and I believe they will have PS+ on the PS4, but I doubt it will be free games at launch or at best maybe 1 free game every 1-2 months shortly after the launch.

Guess they will announce everything at E3.
admiralvic  +   361d ago
I wouldn't say it's really a "good" question, since it will probably just mirror the Vita. No plus for a few months, start with a big offering and then a new title or two every month.
OrangePowerz  +   361d ago
Well the Vita sales arent great so that was a way for Sony encourage more people to get one. I dont expect the PS4 to have the same problem with sales.
Drainage  +   362d ago
lets hope ps+ next gen gives us KZ:SF , Second son , day 1 for free or its a bust
PRHB HYBRiiD  +   362d ago
Keep dreaming
LOGICWINS  +   361d ago
Maybe at the end of 2014, but def not now.
FITgamer  +   361d ago
mooch much?
xYLeinen  +   362d ago
They will have a "layered" subscription service.. They talked about this right after the reveal..
VonBraunschweigg  +   362d ago
For me, the best thing about PS+ is that I don't need it to play my games online, and I hope it stays that way.
GribbleGrunger  +   362d ago
There certainly won't be as much content for next gen PS+ for obvious reasons, so I'd say that Sony will offer a one price solution. You'll get PS3/PS4/PSVita content with one subscription.
dcbronco  +   361d ago
It is a really good question. They have to do something. PS3 games won't be available in the beginning. Maybe they will give PSN+ users access to one or two Sony published titles until PS3 titles become available through Gaikai. PS4 games are going to be available digitally day one so that is an option. Or maybe they will re-do a few Sony PS3 titles to work on the PS4 day one as DD. Or new Arcade and Indie titles. One thing is sure, people aren't going to just accept a $50 fee without getting something in return.

You also wonder if PSN+ will survive on the PS3 after the launch of the PS4. I would think most PSN+ users are hardcore people and they will be moving to the PS4. SO SOny has to make it remain an good option for the PS3 and make it a must have for the PS4.
#11 (Edited 361d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Fable Franchise Manager Leaves Lionhead Studios

8m ago - Ted Timmins, who has been with Lionhead Studios since 2004, has decided to call it quits. | Xbox

Amazon Digital Store Daily Deals: FIFA 14 - $19.99, Borderlands Add Ons - 50% Off + More

9m ago - Gamerdeals: "Amazon Digital Store Daily Deals! Save 75%+ off select PC Digital Games!" | PC

Upcoming: This Week’s iOS and Android Games

9m ago - Check out this week’s list of highly anticipated titles finally hitting the App Store and Google... | iPhone

Salvaged Lets You be Gorman From Aliens. I Bet You Feel Safer Already

9m ago - Remember the bit in Aliens where Gorman's watching the marines' camera feeds and completely loses... | PC

Filmwatch April Contests

Now - Calling all Marvel fans. Come celebrate the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier with us as we give away a cool prize for fans of Cap plu... | Promoted post

Comedic Games - Can We Make More Funny Games?

9m ago - Extra Credits: Comedy relies on timing, but video games can go beyond the scripted scenes of film... | PC