Submitted by doctorstrange 497d ago | article

Which Popular PS3 Franchise Do You NOT Want to see on the PlayStation 4?

Considering that this is the last year the PlayStation 3 will have before the PlayStation 4 bursts onto the scene, many franchises will be making the leap to the next generation. At the same time, however, there’s also many that won’t, so we decided to ask the PSLS staff: “Which Popular PS3 Franchise Do You NOT Want to see on the PlayStation 4?” - PSLS (Hyperdimension Neptunia, Infamous, inFamous 2, inFamous: Second Son, LittleBigPlanet, Medal of Honor, PS3, PS4)

« 1 2 3 »
Abash  +   497d ago
Resistance, that is all
Ezz2013  +   497d ago
i say let the dev do what they want and make what they love
i don't want any Popular Franchise this gen to die next gen
because if the dev know that they can bring new things to the table with those games in next gen
then let them try

but i also want to see more new Ips next gen

EDIT:@doctorstrange
well, you are right
but dev like ND they moved from Uncharted Franchise to New IP (the last of us) in the same gen
and they are doing what they wanted not what sony told them to do

i hope more Dev be like this
take more risks and try new things
#1.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
doctorstrange  +   497d ago
If only it were down to the dev and not the publisher.
Skips  +   497d ago
Agreed,

As long as Sony doesn't focus and rely SOLELY on just 3 or 4 franchises alone......

But bring a bucket load of new IP's as well.

I see no problem with Sony bringing all of their popular franchises to the PS4.
zeee  +   496d ago
Oh boy, am I going to get in trouble for saying this but here goes nothing.

First of all, it's not about not seeing it at all. I wouldn't want to deprive myself of a great game just because it had previous titles on PS3. It's more about getting a break, starting to miss a few games. So keeping that in mind here is my list:

Ratchet and Clank
God of War (oh yes I did!)
Little Big Planet
Resistance
Assassins Creed (oh yes I did... again!)
Resident Evil
Dead Space
Call of (freakin') Duty!

There! I wouldn't mind missing these games for a year or two.

I love Uncharted 3 but I wish there was more of a gap between the second and the third one. I was going crazy to play the second one but the third one, I could have waited for it.

I know this is the PS4 article but I'd want similar stuff on my 720.

HALO - Granted, I don't play HALO at all but I wish MS were to put more focus, energy and more importantly money elsewhere and on other original no-FPS titles. Alan Wake anyone?

Less Kinect games
Gears of War
Forza
Fable

And third party games such as Assassins Creed, Res. Evil, COD.

Is it too much asking the devs to bring some fresh content to the table? This 'Rinse and Repeat' is not healthy for the industry.

I am glad Quantic Dreams decided not to go for Heavy Rain 2. Instead, they opted for something new and fresh and I tell ya, BEYOND: TWO SOULS is a day one purchase for me.

Similarly, Naughty Dogs are working on what I can only imagine as "my game of current-gen". Every single thing that I have seen about THE LAST OF US, it is just simply brilliant. I know this is way too early to call it but every time I see anything THE LAST OF US, it just gives me that "Oh-this-is-my-game-of-th is-generation!".
#1.1.3 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(6) | Report
Gaming101  +   496d ago
LMAO at the typical troll fanboy Zee ^
The guy who hates virtually everything for no other reason than the fact that it's popular. As if new hardware can't inspire new ideas from developers who may have wanted to try things but couldn't due to old hardware limitations.
This is exactly why hipsters don't run companies... or anything else for that matter. Because they make bad decisions, and don't know anything, period.
Blastoise  +   497d ago
Resistance still has a ton of potential in my opinion.

Honestly I can't think of anything I wouldn't want on PS4. Just space the games out enough so we don't grow tired of them. I'd love to see Uncharted 4 on PS4 but not for a few years yet, same goes for the next God of war.
Little big planet will have to make a jump to 3D I reckon, after LBP 2 and the Vita version I don't know what other tools they could add, those games are full of content
#1.2 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(28) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Imikida  +   497d ago
I think I remember the devs say that resistance 3 would be their last. So sadly we won't see any more... :(
TheUndertaker85  +   497d ago
The Resistance franchise is owned by Sony, not Insomniac. Insomniac may not be working with Resistance again but other Devs inside Sony may.
jukins  +   497d ago
totally agree after part 1 it was like eh for part 2 and wtf for 3. let it be over killzone should be the only exclusive fps and im tired of fps!!!!
Ilovetheps4  +   497d ago
I thought Resistance 3 was the best in the series. I really enjoyed Resistance 3. It was tons of fun and I liked the storyline for it.
jukins  +   497d ago
yea 3 was ok I exaggerated a bit since the story was short and felt segmented but the online was horrid
Ilovetheps4  +   496d ago
Oh, I agree with you on that then. I played the online twice. I was a huge fan of RFoM's online, but I didn't like R3's online.
Root  +   497d ago
Oh I hope Resistance continues

It would be nice if they did a new timeline though and call it "Resistance FALL OF MAN 2". Least then they can fix where they went wrong and give Nathan Hale some better character development.

"Take the controllers away from the CoD fanboys and encourage them to play something else…"

So true...

" I don’t want every game to be compared to Call of Duty or the entirety of the lay person’s knowledge of video games to be Call of Duty. Call of Duty is a plague on games and is holding the industry back from being able to fully blossom. End the corruption and allow for unique, interesting, and diverse content to make it’s way to the PS4. End the generation of the cookie cutter FPS. You cannot claim to be a gamer if your entire video game catalog is Call of Duty."

Couldn't agree more
#1.4 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
user7693958  +   497d ago
you crazy..?
Resistance has a fun gun play and campaign's, it could be improved into a more complex game.
I will like Insomniac to take notes from KZ3 jet-packs level and use their talent and experience in plataforming to create a new way on playing a fps and bring Resistance into a new level of experience.

I will like devs to transition from a old and new IP giving space to a better continuation of their IP's and not milk it like (kz3,uc3.. great games but just more of the same and even worse somehow, not fresh)

but keep the formula with the original IP and reinvent the formula on your new IP. (don't do what ZIPPER did bringing MAG and ruining SOCOM a game that did not need such a change)
#1.5 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   496d ago
I wouldn't mind a next gen Resistance title, but it would need to be very different, like a huge open world with many players in it or something like that. I only used that as an example because I'm currently addicted to Defiance, but you get my drift.

I really can't think of a PS franchise I'd rather not see. I don't buy them all, but others buy ones I don't and vice versa so let everyone have their fun.
TrendyGamers  +   497d ago
Unless Lost Planet 3 does shockingly well, I don't think the Lost Planet franchise is going to be on the PS4.
Foolsjoker  +   497d ago
The snow would look hot though..
BiggCMan  +   497d ago
Oh the oxymoron in that statement haha.
Bathyj  +   497d ago
Hey thats not nice. Dont call him that.

/s ;)
Yodagamer  +   497d ago
as much as i love lost planet, i'm prepared to say lost planet 3 might be a disappointment just because the developer hasn't made a decent game since 04 :/, maybe it will surprise me, but i'm not getting hyped for it till i have it in my hand.
knifefight  +   497d ago
Final Fantasy. They need to take a time out and think about what they're doing before jumping head first into these projects. Better to reset yourself rather than announce something that you have in development for 8 freaking years before it can even be fully "revealed." =/
DragonKnight  +   497d ago
They said "Popular PS3 franchises." FF is no longer a PS exclusive, and it wasn't popular this gen.
Welcome2Die  +   497d ago
Agreed. This gen ruined many great titles...
knifefight  +   496d ago

And...it wasn't popular? Versus XIII has been among the most anticipated games this entire gen. People still don't shut up about the FF7 remake and upcoming FFX remaster.
FFXIII, while not having critical acclaim of others in the series, still had outrageous sales. So ah...not sure where you're getting the "not popular" thing either >_>
DragonKnight  +   496d ago
"Versus XIII has been among the most anticipated games this entire gen."

Anticipation isn't the same as popularity. To be popular generally means to have access to it. The only FF games on the PS3 have been the worst received FF games ever released. FFXIII had great sales because people expected it to be a great game. The first FF of a new gen was always the best possible FF game to come out for that gen but not this time. FFXIII-2 showed what people thought of FFXIII and that they wouldn't be suckered again.
MysticStrummer  +   496d ago
"It's not about PS3 exclusive franchises, just franchises that ARE on the PS3. Look at the article itself; it talks about Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and yes, even Final Fantasy right in the article. So ah...looks like it still qualifies for comment fodder too."

They should title the article differently then.
Snookies12  +   497d ago
I choose none. Because I don't want to get a ton of disagrees, lol!

I kid, but seriously... It's always nice to have a big selection. Just because I wouldn't want to see one certain franchise on it, doesn't mean other people won't want it there.

That's why I tend to like Sony. They put themselves out there, taking risks on games that most wouldn't give the time of day.
#4 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(17) | Report | Reply
papashango   497d ago | Not a reply | show | Replies(5)
SilentNegotiator  +   496d ago
You clearly chose the proper path to avoid disagrees. lol

Don't hold back, man. Look at me, I never do. My comments are raw. I don't have 8 bubbles, but I can't think of many times when I've used more than 3 and I always have 4-6 of them to utilize. I backup the things that I say and most people respect me for them.

There's nothing wrong with saying a game needs a break; it doesn't mean that you're chasing games away from people that want them, just expressing an opinion on why it could use some sort of change of pace. I say God of War needs a rest with Ps4; they've bled that storyline dry and haven't done much to improve it.
papashango  +   496d ago
don't get me wrong. No hard feelings here. Just stating my own opinion.
Snookies12  +   496d ago
Like I said, it's okay man. I was just intending it as a joke and it came out wrong. It happens from time to time. No worries at all.
Foolsjoker  +   497d ago
Normally, i'd say more games the better, but i really want to see new IPs.
dbjj12088  +   497d ago
Little Big Planet for sure.
DrJones  +   495d ago
Outrageous comment.
smashcrashbash  +   497d ago
What a dumb question.Why should Sony leave out popular franchises that grantees them profit to risk replacing them with new IPs? You don't even want to see how the franchise looks or plays before you start saying you don't want it? You can always depend on Playstationlifestyle for stupid questions, trollish statements,narrow mindedness and idiotic theories.
#7 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
MikeMyers  +   497d ago
So was it dumb to cancel the TV series Seinfeld? Why not go out in style instead of degrading an IP? My vote goes to God of War. Great series but they should just stop making them. See, I'm not afraid to say it and don't really care how many disagrees I get.

What's funny is how many people post but won't mention any titles like they are afraid or something. Either that or they just can't let themselves admit some of the popular franchises should stop. Call of Duty is another series that should stop.
smashcrashbash  +   497d ago
I never said not to make any new IPs at all but I am not sure why people are always on Sony's back to stop making their series.It is those things that are familiar to people and what will give them the boast when they start. I mean tell the truth what would attract you more to a new console.A new game which you are not sure of or something familiar? You keep saying stop this and that when the next gen version could be the best out of them all. But you won't know because you won't give it a chance. One of the things they mentioned that they were going to say is Infamous.If they decided to leave out Infamous then we wouldn't have Infamous for the PS4 to enjoy.Not sure why PlayStation people are so obsessed with ending their series while everyone licks up every sequel they have on the other consoles.
MikeMyers  +   497d ago
Why are you trying to turn this into a console wars debate? If this was about the next Xbox I would mention Gears of War.

I just think some series have run their course and this is a Playstation article. I would still love to see a new Gran Turismo on the PS4. Not every ip should stop continuing on.
#7.1.2 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report
stonecold3  +   497d ago
the getaway 3 or eight days or eyeidentify tlg
matrixman92  +   497d ago
little big planet....i will never understand the fun in buying a game to make a game. It might just be because I am very far from artistic and creative. Just not for me at all.
Irishguy95  +   497d ago
If you don't like making games it is surely a waste of money. I don't like making them either so I am basically paying 50 to play minigames which are limited to the tools of the game. Whereas I could just use the internet to play free and more diverse minigames.

Apparently the sense of community is what people like about it.
#9.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
WeAreLegion  +   497d ago
Then, play it for the incredible campaigns. OR the levels others create. Do you dislike Mario, too?
matrixman92  +   497d ago
yep...not a fan of new mario bros, brand new mario bros, new new new mario bros, super cereal new mario bros....or whatever they call the same game they have released dozens of times now
betan21  +   497d ago
little big planet.
#10 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(27) | Report | Reply
dafegamer  +   497d ago
how dare you :(
abzdine  +   497d ago
i want them all over again and i want more! if some dont want a franchise just dont buy it and respect the ones who want it and enjoy it..

This article is so much WTF childish thinking.
Fluke_Skywalker  +   497d ago
Couldn't agree more.
There are plenty of popular franchises that I personally hate, I don't wish them dead, I just don't buy them! Just because I don't like them doesn't mean no one should!
sway_z  +   497d ago
Truthfully, I sat long and hard thinking about the question, and the answer is I couldn't think of any 'popular' Sony game I did not want to see on PS4.

.....What does this say about Sony :)
PirateThom  +   497d ago
Personally, I think I could live with 4 Uncharted games.

Not that I dislike Uncharted, quite the opposite, but with Naughty Dog working on The Last of Us, I'd like to see them try their hand at another new frachise.

LittleBigPlanet, I guess.... although, I think the Vita version is the best version of that game, maybe just needs different devs to bring new ideas.
fantasygamer  +   497d ago
I would very much love to see a LittleBigPlanet 3 for PS4 sometime in the future.
dafegamer  +   497d ago
A 3D LBP would be a gamechanger for sure
ApolloTheBoss  +   497d ago
Oh lawd don't me started. Imagine the possibilities!
GDDR6_2014  +   497d ago
Ratchet &Clank is dead to me
Salooh  +   497d ago
It could be great if they get back to ps2 roots. Ps3 ratchet games sucks..

Thanks Ilovetheps4 . I played 2 ratchet and clank on ps3 and i hated them so i assumed the rest of them sucks too. I will check them :)
#15.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Ilovetheps4  +   497d ago
Did you play Tools of destruction or A Crack in Time? Those games were fantastic. Now, All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were let downs.
josephayal  +   497d ago
popular?
Call of Duty
Godmars290  +   497d ago
Series like Uncharted and LBP shouldn't carry over to the next system, but there should be spiritual sequels to them.

And really, considering the ending to GOW3 where the world was in ruin, that storyline at the very least needs to be closed with at least one more true game.
one2thr  +   496d ago
Kratos kills himself, Odin chooses him to fight along his side and promises to give him his family back, then to have thor not like Kratos after what he did to earth.

After Kratos showing Thor that he doesn't give a sh#t, they fight to the point where/when Kratos crushes Thors' skull with his own hammer on/in Valhalla and in doing so Odin declares war on kratos. Kratos bring death to Norse gods, and sends fear through out Norse mythology. Because hes a bonafide bad %$# mutha!!!!

And BOOM, you got yourself god of war 4
Ares84HU  +   497d ago
LBP I could live without.
dafegamer  +   497d ago
a 3d little big planet game should re-invent the lbp series.
Sony will still release LBP on ps4, since its one of the best selling franchises Sony has
Killjoy3000  +   497d ago
I must agree LBP is played out, as well as Resistance and in my honest opinion I hope the next inFamous game is far different from the first two because I got burnt out by the end of 2.
Porcelain_Chicken  +   497d ago
I know it's an opinion thing, and i completely respect yours but i also hate it. Your opinion is now full of my respect but sprinkled with my hate. If your opinion had a face i would punch it.

On topic, In my opinion God of War. I love GoW. I own and have platinumed all 6. But Ascencion felt weird, un-inspired, the only GoW i've ever struggled to finish. Maybe it was the whole "another prequel" thing i dunno.
#20.1 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Rezka  +   497d ago
Personally I enjoy lbp I would like to see how media molecule can expand gameplay features in the next installment
nirwanda  +   497d ago
I think teken needs to retire for a while or at least a serious reboot, it's been around since the ps1 launch.
If they did reboot it i would like to see a hyper real game where the characters look real but have over the top effects like 300.
Salooh  +   497d ago
Even if it's getting old. Tekken must be ported. I can't stop playing it. But i agree. They can change the look of the game to make it refreshing and add more characters and moves to them..
Bathyj  +   497d ago
Im dying for a new new Little Big Planet, but not a simple rehash. It needs 3D gameplay, not the current 2D, as well as 3D creation tools like the Media Molecule tech demo they showed and the PS4 event.

I think its a given at this point or they wouldnt have showed those amazing sculpting tools. Imagine what people could come up with. Its like having a chunk of virtual clay that you can bring to life. LBP3D is going to be groundbreaking, just like the first 2 games.
NiteX  +   497d ago
Killzone... oh wait too late!
Typical-Guy  +   497d ago
Too many to count, but mostly are Dead Nation, Uncharted, Resistance and last but not least, whatever Quantic Dream bring!
#25 (Edited 497d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Rezka  +   497d ago
Dead nation lol you're kidding right
Typical-Guy  +   497d ago
No I'm not, why would I be kidding?
He thought you were kidding because there is only 1 Dead Nation (which was a Psn game). That it annoyed you enough to not want it affiliated with the Ps4 is silly. Also "whatever Quantic Dream bring"....

Seriously??? Why? And If you say because you hate QTE's or the typical "they aren't gamez they iz moviezz" i'll just LOL.
Typical-Guy  +   496d ago
I might have misread the whole headline.... All those I wanted to see!
#25.2.1 (Edited 496d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
DaGR8JIBRALTAR  +   497d ago
God of War......just kidding!
Kraxe  +   497d ago
god of war and uncharted. *wears flame proof suit* I'm being serious about those 2 games just to let you know.

GoW is a good game to rent but IMO deffo doesn't have alot of replay value. besides how can they push the GoW story now? I think they should just leave the game be as is right now.

Uncharted is a somewhat ok game to rent but 100 percent sure its not worth dropping 60 to 20 dollars on. the platforming is fun but the shooting is very very boring. they should just leave this behind.
hkgamer  +   497d ago
Uncharted I guess? It's time to move on from the franchise, its time for ND to move onto their next project/projects...

COD? Haven't got much against the game, actually never really played it properly. I rather they innovate us with something else.

Well, this is a pointless discussion. Look at kojima-san, he basically wanted to end a series years ago and he still stuck on making more games.
SolidDuck  +   497d ago
I'd like to see most there devs do knew ip's. I mean uncharted, resistance, lbp, and infamous were all new ip's on the ps3. I'm really excited for infamous SS and killzone SF, but I'd love to see what those guys could do with new franchises. I'd also love to see one of sony's devs start a rpg franchise.
WeAreLegion  +   497d ago
3D LBP MMO. Please?!? I want every popular Sony franchise on the PS4. I even want the unpopular franchises!
« 1 2 3 »

In-Depth at E3: The Sims 4 | Stevivor

7m ago - Leo Stevenson -- "The Sims are coming back. You may not be able to trap them in swimming pools an... | PC

Video Preview: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father - Pixel Related

10m ago - This week, we decided to do something a little bit different for our preview coverage of Gabriel... | PC

Achievement Hunt #44

19m ago - This week's Achievement HUNT, brings you Jack vs. Gavin. | PC

Let's Play - 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2 Part 1

19m ago - Geoff, Michael, Ray, and Ryan hit the driving ranges as they play 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2. | Xbox 360

Need Cash? (US Only)

Now - How would it feel to have your money struggles solved by this time tomorrow? We give fast loans from $100-$10,000+, and repayment terms up to 60 mo... | Promoted post

Life Is Strange Gameplay Preview Interview

48m ago - Dontnod Entertainment developer Jean Maxime Moris details the new episodic game, Life Is Strange,... | PC