Submitted by get2sammyb 473d ago | opinion piece

What's Your Favourite PlayStation Startup Sequence?

Push Square: "While it’s difficult to topple the trembling sense of anticipation that comes when you greedily tug at the cellophane concealing a brand new piece of hardware, watching said system’s startup screen for the very first time gives the momentous occasion a run for its money. Ever since the very first PlayStation took the world by storm, Sony has made a point of manufacturing memorable boot sequences for its portfolio of platforms, resulting in a family of unforgettable animations and sounds.

"Chances are, you’ll have seen and heard the following idents thousands of times. They are as much a part of gaming as the adventures that they have prefaced, and are all individually inspired for their own unique reasons. But while we wait anxiously to see if the PlayStation 4’s introduction is more interesting than the PlayStation Vita’s, which of the subsequent startup sequences is your favourite?" (PS2, PS3, PSP, Retro)

Nitrowolf2  +   473d ago
For me its the PS1. Love that start up and nothing like bring back those memories.
ApolloTheBoss  +   473d ago
They should really bring that back for the PS4. Putting icing on a cake that's too damn good already.
cervantes99  +   473d ago
Yep, PS1 start up was the best.
iGAM3R-VIII  +   473d ago
The noise that the PS2 made when it started up was beautiful and I hope it is in the PS4
NukaCola  +   473d ago
SEEEEEGGGGGGAAAAAA!!! Or the whispering Dreamcast

Classic before titles like Sonic
HammadTheBeast  +   473d ago
Dreamcast was cool, but not Playstation as the article says. For myself, I loved the Canadian PS1 sound. I think it was Canadian. I mean the small compact white one.
NukaCola  +   473d ago
Yeah I didnt even catch that. Just started remembering console log ons..lol

For the PS, Oddworld still opens up ever so most epically.
Magnus  +   473d ago
Ps1 for sure still love that noise when the Playstaion logo popped up. And the PS3 ding before Sony dropped it.
#2 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DownNotOut  +   473d ago
the ps2 and those towers... good times
SKUD  +   473d ago
PS1. Followed by GT1 or Ridge Racer Type 4 intro. Good times.
Akuma2K  +   473d ago
PS1 startup brings back memories, always loved the startup right before i played Resident Evil and Streetfighter Alpha.....those were the days.
KwietStorm  +   473d ago
:')
abzdine  +   473d ago
I remember we were trying to "sing" the PS1 startup with my friends! It's impossible but lots of fun!

I remember PS1 start up followed by Winning Eleven.. Soccer was what i played most on PS1 we missed classes to organize tournaments back in the days LOL
2pacalypsenow  +   473d ago
Ps2
contradictory  +   473d ago
PS2
SonyAddict  +   473d ago
My best is "you're file system may be corrupted".
Trago1337  +   473d ago
Nothing beats the original PlayStation Start up for me, it's pretty nostalgic.
cyberninja  +   473d ago
PS1. The best start up sound ever imo.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   473d ago
PS1 for me no doubt, but for the PS2 start up I have always loved the sound it makes as the Playstation 2 logo appears.
KwietStorm  +   473d ago
Good question. PS3 literally has a classic and prestigious feel, PS2 was very simple but I liked that sound effect. But PS1 was almost like their own THX intro. It came in very strong and then leaves with an almost ominous trail.

But as long as were talking about intros, how about Soul Blade. That quality was mind boggling at the time.

Related video
#12 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
NaAsAr  +   473d ago
i 2nd that emotion ;)
games333  +   473d ago
In order 1>2>3
NaAsAr  +   473d ago
PS1 for sure :)

when it took as long as it did in the attached video, i used to think "dam, my mod chip isn't working"
#14 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
abzdine  +   473d ago
PS1 definitely followed by PSP.
I was surprised Vita doesnt have any.
tigertron  +   473d ago
The PS1 followed by the Gamecube, then the PS2.
KwietStorm  +   473d ago
The PlayStation GameCube? What model was that?
tigertron  +   473d ago
Uh, what? XD
stage88  +   473d ago
PS1 has the best start up of any console.
no_more_heroes  +   473d ago
Absolutely the PS1 startup. That sound was positively ear-gasmic.
Bellcross  +   473d ago
PS1
OhReginald  +   473d ago
PS1 > PS2> PS3
pop-voxuli  +   473d ago
PS1>PS2>PS3>PSP>PS V
#21 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
sonicsidewinder  +   473d ago
I used to dig those Dreamworks Interactive intro's on the PS1 games.

The one for The Lost World Jurassic Park used to scare me haha!

Yes. PS1 intro. Gamecube intro.

Sonic intro on the mega drive of course. "SEGAAAA!!!"
#22 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
coolasj  +   473d ago
PS3 > PS1 > PS2

The symphony tuning is an instant classic. It flexes my sound systems muscles for me.
Kratoscar2008  +   473d ago
PS1 although i dreaded when stayed its welcome (ie Disc too damaged)
Oh_Yeah  +   473d ago
Nostalgic and badass= PS1, smooth and classy= PS3, PS2 was just alright.. but I'd say the Dreamcast had the greatest boot of all consoles, it was orgasmic and natural.
#25 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
No FanS Land  +   473d ago
Yeah, the PS1, the way it sounded when the triangles resized in the square, showing SCEA. Then the way the PS logo (why did sony remove the colors :'( ???? ) appeared with that soothing effect. you felt overpowered.
GamerElite  +   472d ago
PS1 FTW

Boss Galaga Item Detailed In Super Smash Bros For Wii U

23m ago - Mike from Mii-gamer: Lately, Sakurai has been generous with the latest "Pic of The day" update... | Wii U

Flash Cartridge for Mattel Intellivision Coming

31m ago - Carl Williams writes, "The Mattel Intellivision was not exactly a household name when it was new,... | Retro

The Last Of Us Remastered Now Available For Pre-Load In Europe

37m ago - The Last Of Us Remastered is now available for pre-load on the European PSN | PS4

Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M Mobility Maxwell Flagship Landing in October this Year

37m ago - An Industry Insider has just confirmed the release date of the Geforce Mobility GTX 980M Maxwell... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Game Review: Gods Will Be Watching | Starburst Magazine

38m ago - “By the sixth day only myself and the soldier were left. The bandits had taken the life of the do... | PC