Try our new beta!Click here
Submitted by get2sammyb 1031d ago | opinion piece

What's Your Favourite PlayStation Startup Sequence?

Push Square: "While it’s difficult to topple the trembling sense of anticipation that comes when you greedily tug at the cellophane concealing a brand new piece of hardware, watching said system’s startup screen for the very first time gives the momentous occasion a run for its money. Ever since the very first PlayStation took the world by storm, Sony has made a point of manufacturing memorable boot sequences for its portfolio of platforms, resulting in a family of unforgettable animations and sounds.

"Chances are, you’ll have seen and heard the following idents thousands of times. They are as much a part of gaming as the adventures that they have prefaced, and are all individually inspired for their own unique reasons. But while we wait anxiously to see if the PlayStation 4’s introduction is more interesting than the PlayStation Vita’s, which of the subsequent startup sequences is your favourite?" (PS2, PS3, PSP, Retro)

Nitrowolf2  +   1031d ago
For me its the PS1. Love that start up and nothing like bring back those memories.
ApolloTheBoss  +   1031d ago
They should really bring that back for the PS4. Putting icing on a cake that's too damn good already.
cervantes99  +   1031d ago
Yep, PS1 start up was the best.
iGAM3R-VIII  +   1031d ago
The noise that the PS2 made when it started up was beautiful and I hope it is in the PS4
NukaCola  +   1031d ago
SEEEEEGGGGGGAAAAAA!!! Or the whispering Dreamcast

Classic before titles like Sonic
HammadTheBeast  +   1030d ago
Dreamcast was cool, but not Playstation as the article says. For myself, I loved the Canadian PS1 sound. I think it was Canadian. I mean the small compact white one.
NukaCola  +   1030d ago
Yeah I didnt even catch that. Just started remembering console log ons..lol

For the PS, Oddworld still opens up ever so most epically.
Magnus  +   1031d ago
Ps1 for sure still love that noise when the Playstaion logo popped up. And the PS3 ding before Sony dropped it.
#2 (Edited 1031d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
DownNotOut  +   1031d ago
the ps2 and those towers... good times
SKUD  +   1031d ago
PS1. Followed by GT1 or Ridge Racer Type 4 intro. Good times.
Akuma2K  +   1031d ago
PS1 startup brings back memories, always loved the startup right before i played Resident Evil and Streetfighter Alpha.....those were the days.
KwietStorm  +   1031d ago
:')
abzdine  +   1031d ago
I remember we were trying to "sing" the PS1 startup with my friends! It's impossible but lots of fun!

I remember PS1 start up followed by Winning Eleven.. Soccer was what i played most on PS1 we missed classes to organize tournaments back in the days LOL
2pacalypsenow  +   1031d ago
Ps2
contradictory  +   1031d ago
PS2
SonyAddict  +   1031d ago
My best is "you're file system may be corrupted".
Trago1337  +   1031d ago
Nothing beats the original PlayStation Start up for me, it's pretty nostalgic.
cyberninja  +   1031d ago
PS1. The best start up sound ever imo.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   1031d ago
PS1 for me no doubt, but for the PS2 start up I have always loved the sound it makes as the Playstation 2 logo appears.
KwietStorm  +   1031d ago
Good question. PS3 literally has a classic and prestigious feel, PS2 was very simple but I liked that sound effect. But PS1 was almost like their own THX intro. It came in very strong and then leaves with an almost ominous trail.

But as long as were talking about intros, how about Soul Blade. That quality was mind boggling at the time.

Related video
#12 (Edited 1031d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
NaAsAr  +   1031d ago
i 2nd that emotion ;)
games333  +   1031d ago
In order 1>2>3
NaAsAr  +   1031d ago
PS1 for sure :)

when it took as long as it did in the attached video, i used to think "dam, my mod chip isn't working"
#14 (Edited 1031d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
abzdine  +   1031d ago
PS1 definitely followed by PSP.
I was surprised Vita doesnt have any.
tigertron  +   1031d ago
The PS1 followed by the Gamecube, then the PS2.
KwietStorm  +   1031d ago
The PlayStation GameCube? What model was that?
tigertron  +   1031d ago
Uh, what? XD
stage88  +   1031d ago
PS1 has the best start up of any console.
no_more_heroes  +   1031d ago
Absolutely the PS1 startup. That sound was positively ear-gasmic.
Bellcross  +   1031d ago
PS1
OhReginald  +   1031d ago
PS1 > PS2> PS3
pop-voxuli  +   1031d ago
PS1>PS2>PS3>PSP>PS V
#21 (Edited 1031d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
sonicsidewinder  +   1031d ago
I used to dig those Dreamworks Interactive intro's on the PS1 games.

The one for The Lost World Jurassic Park used to scare me haha!

Yes. PS1 intro. Gamecube intro.

Sonic intro on the mega drive of course. "SEGAAAA!!!"
#22 (Edited 1031d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
coolasj  +   1031d ago
PS3 > PS1 > PS2

The symphony tuning is an instant classic. It flexes my sound systems muscles for me.
Kratoscar2008  +   1030d ago
PS1 although i dreaded when stayed its welcome (ie Disc too damaged)
Oh_Yeah  +   1030d ago
Nostalgic and badass= PS1, smooth and classy= PS3, PS2 was just alright.. but I'd say the Dreamcast had the greatest boot of all consoles, it was orgasmic and natural.
#25 (Edited 1030d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
No FanS Land  +   1030d ago
Yeah, the PS1, the way it sounded when the triangles resized in the square, showing SCEA. Then the way the PS logo (why did sony remove the colors :'( ???? ) appeared with that soothing effect. you felt overpowered.
GamerElite  +   1030d ago
PS1 FTW

The Final Smash DLC: Early Impressions

5h ago - The new and final Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U DLC has just been released; Gamer Professionals... | Wii U

Towers, Personal Strife & TinyWars

5h ago - A chat with Bizurk Software about their upcoming Tower Defense outing,its promise of inspiring pe... | PC

N4G Game of the Year Awards Nomination Contest

Now - Help us create our Game of the Year nominee list and you could win one of five $100 Amazon Gift Cards. | Promoted post

Infinium Strike is a Different Take on Tower Defense | Hardcore Gamer

5h ago - HG: There it was, the Freedom Strike. The jewel of the fleet. Cast out in the middle of nowhere,... | PC

The Official Undertale jazz album “Live at Grillby’s” has been released

5h ago - Youtuber insaneintherainmusic has released "Live at Grillby's", an official Undertale jazz cover... | PC

Tom Clancy's The Division Beta 4K UltraHD Gtx 980 Ti SLI Performance

5h ago - Tom Clancy's The Division Beta Gameplay on the Evga Gtx 980 Ti SLI Performance. | Tom Clancy’s The Division