Submitted by aviator189 530d ago | opinion piece

What if Xbox Durango's 'Always On' Features Aren't About Games at All?

Forbes: "The phrase “always connected” conjures up a lot of skepticism in the video game community, especially when it
comes to Microsoft’s next Xbox, codenamed Durango. It makes people think of SimCity, which is only now regaining its core functionality after a disastrous launch stemming from its need to be “always connected.” It makes people think of the sort of DRM controls that PC gamers have been dealing with for years. It makes people think of used games restrictions and the perils of a spotty internet." (Xbox One)

Good_Guy_Jamal  +   530d ago
Somebody has been reading VGleaks it seems. All that hoopla and it turns out the always online stuff was never for gaming. Also Xbox Mini is intriguing.
aviator189  +   530d ago
Something like an 'xbox mini' would definitely be something cool to have. I'm just hoping, if it is real, it won't be pricey. But then again, I don't plan on selling my 360, so I don't believe it'll be an issue for me but day-1 integration into the next xbox (of backwards compatibility) or gradual roll-out would be convenient.
NewMonday  +   530d ago
Xbox Mini is for backwards compatibility

after the new rumors things make more sense now, could it be MS let something leak to stop the negativity?

but with the TV plans exposed with more detail they showed a hand to Sony, the next PS4 and first official Durango events are just weeks away, cant wait to see how this poker game playes out.
#1.1.1 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report
Rusty515  +   530d ago
Sounds like a lot of HOOPLA.
Robochobo  +   530d ago
And "Always-Online" doesn't?
trenso1  +   530d ago
@robochobo i think he was doing a spongebob reference, well atleast thats what i got from his comment
r21  +   530d ago
Is that a Spongebob reference i read?
Testfire  +   530d ago
Good Guy Jamal, "Somebody has been reading VGleaks it seems. All that hoopla and it turns out the always online stuff was never for gaming."

EVERYTHING is still a rumor at this point including the RUMOR that the rumor was false. We need to be patient and wait for official MS reveals.
GamersRulz  +   530d ago
I might be the most pro-Sony gamer you can find in this site, but to be honest I feel ashamed of whats happening in N4G recently. all news must be treated equally, there should be an equal ground field here, I'm really happy about the "offline play" rumor in Durango. not because of MS " I hate MS" but because its a positive news for the industry as a whole. No forced DRM is a positive news for the industry not just MS fans.

I apologize for you Xbox gamers on behalf of my fellow Sony gamers,I feel really sorry of what is happening on N4G atm. I'll spread the good "rumor" as much as I can. we must celebrate this moment together. we still have a lot to argue about in the next 6 years, but for now I really hope this rumor is true.
Septic  +   530d ago
Fair play for being honest I guess. However, this is quite a petty display from the Sony fanboys and purposely trying to 'drown' out any positive rumours regarding the nextbox is pretty pathetic. What excuse will the likes of the notsosilentnegotiator come up with now?

*sigh* Be classy N4G.

Anyway, this rumour makes a lot more sense and I hope it's true. But this is still a rumour so it's prudent to just wait for E3.
#1.4.1 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
B-radical  +   530d ago
Nice honesty there. It's disgusting that the ps4 fanboys are not letting rumored articles on this site. Funny thing is its from vgleaks playstation fans loved alllll the vgleaks articles before the one they wouldnt let on this site.

Its like they mad
GamersRulz  +   530d ago
@Septic and B-radical

I'm a mere member in N4G, I can't submit news or even approve them, I would've done anything to get this news to front page, but sadly I can't.

I encourage every N4G member who read this message to try at least to ensure fair play in this site.

as a Sony fan, we have suffered the same situation in 2007-2009 but that doesn't mean we should do the same thing now, Please guys (mods), lets up our game a little and try to make N4G the best place for gaming news (for everyone).
green  +   530d ago
Great comment GamersRulz.
FrigidDARKNESS  +   530d ago
Yes...the cheaper xbox lite is the unit that will be always on always connected. Finally the smoke has cleared the air cant wait till may 27 for the unveiling.
Godmars290  +   530d ago
"but here’s hoping that Microsoft is planning on using those features for entertainment first, and games second."

Its likely going to be ad related data first, entertainment second and gaming third.

Always online is still going to be an issue. Even though its now - still - about privacy rather than game DRM. And again, this applies to Sony as well. Along with any general consumer too ignorant to change any available defaults.
Loki86  +   530d ago
VGleaks has reported that the xbox WILL NOT require online to play offline content and will play used games. Spread the word since this site will not allow that article to be approved.
Godmars290  +   530d ago
"Spread the word since this site will not allow that article to be approved."

Because a tag hasn't been removed. remove the tag and I'll vote for it.
Robochobo  +   530d ago
I think he's talking about the fact that there're multiple 720 articles on this topic, that are in the failed tab of the pending news section.
#4.1.1 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report
Good_Guy_Jamal  +   530d ago
Remove tags huh. . . http://n4g.com/news/failed/... so all these xbox mini and nextbox not requiring online rumors were ALL failed because of tags?

I'm told it's because the head honcho mod does not approve of VGLeaks because they don't have sources. Which makes you wonder how 14 stories from vgleaks slipped through the cracks, especially these ones
http://n4g.com/news/1213397... Durango always online and must install rumor
http://n4g.com/news/1207383... Durango memory rumor
http://n4g.com/news/1183322... Durango CPU rumor

Why not include vgleaks as a no-no in the submission tutorial is what I say. That way there's no confusion. Lastofgen, it truly is suspect. meh -__-
#4.1.2 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(6) | Report
lastofgen   530d ago | Off topic | show | Replies(4)
bomboclaat_gamer  +   530d ago
haha these people are in complete anti MS mode
they want the xbox to fail so bad

dont cry

MS is not that stupid
IK IR Y IP T  +   530d ago
the next xbox is going to be legendary reguardless of the rumours cant wait for peoples jaws to drop !!!
DivineAssault  +   530d ago
What if it doesnt require you to install every game from the disc?? What if it plays blu rays? What if it does play used games? what if everything we've seen so far (including this) is complete BS? I think MS better clarify to the world what theyre doing soon cuz ppl will disregard it w/o knowing anything at all..

Remember when ppl didnt know wii u was a new console? (jimmy fallon) lol sorry but that was hilarious.. Anyway, ill buy the nx box as long as it has some great exclusive games i like as well as cool features.. I will own all consoles as long as i see at least 5 exclusives i want on each
#7 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Unicron  +   530d ago
I don't know which rumors to believe! The rumors or the rumors shooting down the other rumors!!
maniacmayhem  +   530d ago
My, my how the wave of negativity and *chuckle* "media biased" have turned.
WeAreLegion  +   530d ago
And now the Microsoft fans come out of the woodwork... Where did you guys go after 2007?
Ducky  +   530d ago
So did you lurk here for 5 years before making that account or what?
WeAreLegion  +   530d ago
Look up LeonSKennedy4Life. That's my old account. I've been on here since it was literally news4gamers.com.

Seriously though...where are you guys in all the other articles?
#10.1.1 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report
ALLWRONG  +   530d ago
WeAreLegion you been here complaining about Xbox since 2007?
#10.2 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Robochobo  +   530d ago
It's not that fact that it's a Xbox rumor that's good, it's about the fact that if you didn't notice, N4G tried to censor this. Go up a few comments and look at what GoodGuyJamal has written. N4G can no longer get free "hits" from the Always Online rumor that has made this sites headlines constantly since it was first leaked.
#10.3 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
BigStef71  +   530d ago
Jesus Christ all this bitching from both sides is fucking annoying as hell. Seriously people just enjoy both consoles and call it a day. We're all united as gamers so we should start acting like it
At disagrees:
Just keep on being completely ignorant
#11 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
green  +   530d ago
Why are all the articles related to this topic being failing approval? And it seems I have lost a bubble lol
#12 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
green  +   530d ago
Double post.
#13 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
green  +   530d ago
Why are all the articles related to this topic being failing approval?
Donnywho  +   530d ago
What if the hulk had killed wolverine? These are the important issues.
urwifeminder  +   530d ago
Ha ha selective news for certain gamers should be the new logo the fear is fever pitch well said green bub up.
#16 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
B-radical  +   530d ago
So its quite possible games are safe? Thank the lord! Aha
Hicken  +   530d ago
lmao, this is hilarious.

You want the rumors gone so long as they're negative, but will raise hell if they're positive and not allowed?

vgleaks, by the way, is sitting on 1 star, with less articles approved than failed. Unless the failed duplicates somehow count, that means a 14/15 ratio of approved to failed articles. Hardly credible. And yet- correct me if I'm wrong- but every cite reporting this has vgleaks as its origin for the story.

Regardles, it'd be much better if the so-called "censored" leaks are true.
MysticStrummer  +   530d ago
"Block rumors that contradict rumors against Microsoft, and it's a Sony fanboy site. Flood the site with Sony doom articles, and it's a Sony fanboy site."

My thoughts exactly, as I read some of the above posts. I'm sure all these anti-MS rumor articles are seen as payback by many on this site. I know when I first found N4G I was shocked at the anti-Sony crowd on here. Times have changed.

I don't think MS will do much of what's being rumored though.
#18.1 (Edited 530d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
maniacmayhem  +   529d ago
Payback? I didn't know so many posters on this where 13 to 15 year olds.

Time to grow up and put on big boy pants and leave this silly "now it's our turn" mentality behind.

It's funny that you say its pauyback for all the negative Sony articles, from what I remember it was the "media being biased" for every Sony/Ps3 article. So how and why is this payback?

tsk tsk
MysticStrummer  +   529d ago
I didn't say it was the right thing to do. I just said I bet that's the case. I'd rather Sony fans took the high road, but that's not human nature.

The media bias thing has nothing to do with N4G being flooded by Sony is Doomed articles, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

All I'm saying is that when I found this site, it was pro 360 in a big way. Based on the treatment PS3 fans got on here at that time, I'm not surprised to see lots of negative articles about what MS may or may not do now. Again, I'm not saying it's right. It's just human nature.
#18.1.2 (Edited 529d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
objdadon  +   530d ago
Let me play online for free and I'll get it along with the ps4! Im not paying anymore membership fees this time around!
psp2roundup  +   530d ago
Setting up any of these next-gen consoles is going to be a nightmare - http://xboxnextroundup.blog...
StreetsofRage  +   530d ago
Here's an idea. How about we wait for e3? :/
mamotte  +   529d ago
Reminds me of the old good old friend VHS.:

Connect Antena to VHS.
Connect VHS to TV.
Watch TV, and have some optional extra features with the VHS.
Add a little bit of internet to the mix, in not a different way digital TV receivers do. It's always online, after all.

That's what I think all Durango will be. Oh, and will play games. Maybe you'll be able to see TV on a small POP window while doing it.

Still will wait for games to come.

Killer Instinct Season 2 available for download now on Xbox One

24m ago - Killer Instinct steps forward with a powerful upper cut as Season 2 becomes available for downloa... | Xbox One

Destiny’s Return To Greatness And The Gartner Hype Cycle

29m ago - The Gartner Hype Cycle explains why the game you might only "like" now will eventually become great. | Xbox 360

Interview with Verdun dev BlackMill Games

32m ago - Verdun is being developed by M2H and BlackMill Games and we sat down with Jos Hoebe from BlackMil... | PC

Destiny Review - All Range Mode, Episode 82

32m ago - After taking a week off because we were too busy playing Destiny to record the show, we return wi... | Xbox 360

Destiny (PS4) Review

Now - Bungie’s next series is here, but how does it stack up? | Promoted post

SNES A Day 120: John Madden Football '93

32m ago - John Madden Football ’93 is superior in all respects to the previous Super Nintendo entry in the... | Retro