Submitted by TheSuperior 471d ago | opinion piece

Holiday 2013 is Exactly What the Wii U has Been Waiting for to Fully Succeed

It is no secret that the Wii U has been a little less of a success than what was expected. People were hoping that Nintendo was going to step up their game and make something for the gamers instead of a casual audience and as of now we have seen little difference in the Wii U to the Wii. The Wii U is finally competing with current-gen consoles and players are probably thinking that it will get squashed in the next-gen battle. It is unfortunate how something that was once so well loved by gamers is becoming an un-cool has been console. The Wii U had shown some great potential but nothing was appealing enough to make every type of player jump on board and want to play. More people are waiting for the announcement for the next-gen Xbox or saving up some money to get their hands on a PS4 then paying any attention to what Nintendo already has sitting on the market. (Wii, Wii U)

TheSuperior  +   471d ago
If Nintendo played their cards right with these games (Pro Controller is a must) then I think they could easily beat the PS4 and most likly next gen Xbox (I wont say so much about that because nothing has been confirmed by Microsoft)

Yeah the PS4 is great but Nintendo can offer an experience that PlayStation cant. It has always been that way for me.
#1 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(22) | Report | Reply
Donnieboi  +   471d ago
what are u smoking?
bicfitness  +   471d ago
The desperation is reaching critical levels. The Wii U can't offer anything that the PS4/ Nextbox can, its technology has shut it out of real next-gen development. The best it will get are ports of last gen PS3/ 360 games, and those are only the ones that the AAA publishers can be bothered to bring over. Still no GTA announcement either, mind you, and that will crush any 3rd party offering that the Wii U could ever hope to have.
#1.1.1 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(18) | Report
iGAM3R-VIII  +   471d ago
Agreed 2 amazing consoles come out and he think that the Wii U is going to beat BOTH of them. The Wii U isn't as powerful as them and doesn't have as many games (I mean like BF4 or engines or stuff)
jcnba28  +   471d ago
Looks like someone is scared of the competition.
salva21  +   471d ago
Yeahh, like the PSP vs DS... wait. No, like PS3 vs Wii... wait. No like the Vita vs 3DS... wait.
ape007  +   471d ago
lol
bullymangLer  +   471d ago
haa haa haaa
iGAM3R-VIII  +   471d ago
you sir are on weed
#1.3 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
WiiUsauce  +   471d ago
100% true. This is just a taste of the MASSIVE and EPIC ass games that will call the Wii U home: http://www.youtube.com/watc...

This game alone is more than enough to warrant a 350 dollar console. You only have to have had played Xenoblade Chronicles to realize just how ground breaking the sequel can be considering it's being developed by some extremely talented individuals on considerably more powerful hardware than the original Wii.

But seriously, if you have not played Xenoblade Chronicles, emulate the game on PC unless you wanna pay 100 dollars for a used Wii copy of the game. Plus it will look better on PC with 1080p graphics, but just please do whatever you can to play this game. It breathes much needed life into the JRPG and makes you feel nostalgic, just like you're playing PS1 FF games for the first time again.

On top of that, we will see Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei and Nintendo has said that it's the first of many cross over Nintendo games with 3rd party publishers!!! Who knows WHAT the hell we'll see in the future!! Also Super Smash Bros fucking 4!!!! Once you see this game in motion, I can 100% guarantee you, you're gonna wanna absolutely play this fucking game, it will look THAT good.

We'll also get a full blown HD console Mario Kart in glorious HD with seamless online play and the successor to the Super Mario Galaxy games. Galaxy 1 and 2 have fuckin 97 percent rating on Meta Critic!! That's INSANE!! There's also gonna be so much unannounced stuff shown off at Nintedo's E3 in two months that will singe the pubes of your balls, it will be that good. Retro Studios is set to show off their next BIG game!!! *fingers crossed for Metroid Prime 4*

In case you guys haven't noticed, Retro is working on something BIG. They've doubled their studio size, they've had Wii U development kits long before the Wii U was announced, and they have ex Naughty Dog, Vigil,Visceral, Insomniac, and Crytek devs on board. Trust me, it will be a phenomenal looking game, I can guarantee it.

Also, there's all the eShop games that Nintendo could potentially roll out. I personally want a brand new HD Punch Out game with added gameplay mechanics, online play/leader boards, and brand new quirky fighters. There's also the possibility of Nintendo making HD remakes of Super Nintendo/NES classics in the vein of the upcoming Duck Tales. Imagine Super Metroid with gorgeous revamped 2.5D visuals, a brilliant orchestrated soundtrack, Miiverse integration, brand new areas and new game +. It could happen!!

There's also the fact that many indie devs are gonna support the eShop like Renegade Kidd with Mutant Mudds, and the ex WayForward devs who are working on Shovel Knight.

Oh well, E3 is only 2 months away. Nintendo has the opportunity to wow people with Wii U and show them that it will be a console well worth the 350 dollar investment.
#1.4 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Neonridr  +   471d ago
The thing that Nintendo will have going for them this holiday season is AVAILABILITY. Face it, let's assume that both of the next gen systems from Sony and MS launch this holiday season. Now as with almost every hardware launch since god knows when, there always seems to be around 1 million units available for the initial launch. We all know those are going to be snapped up in a heartbeat, which means it will be slim pickings all throughout the xmas season. Meanwhile, the Wii U will be sitting there with a much more attractive price, along with some AAA software to back it up. We don't even know how many launch games the PS4 is going to have yet, and can't even being to think of how many Xbox ones there are (since nothing has even been shown for that system).

If Nintendo plays their cards right and ensures that they have some quality first party software available, then Nintendo can make out big this upcoming holiday.
#2 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
THESHAUNZY  +   471d ago
Nintendo looks to come out of the gate this holiday season!!!
brave27heart  +   471d ago
A year after they launched? Why not either have this support at the start or delay the console until now? As it is the Wii U isgetting an undeserved and unfortunate reputation of being a failure. Its been badly handled by Nintendo and they need to step up their game.
kirbyu  +   471d ago
Just because Walmart says the games are coming out this year, that doesn't mean they are. Even if Nintendo is currently planning on releasing these by Christmas 2013, they could get delayed.
truechainz  +   471d ago
and if they are representative of most other games coming out nowadays they will, but I think it is clear that their strategy is to hammer in some big first party titles near the launches of the other consoles. I think it will work well for them, though I have no clue how well they will do in comparison to the ps4 and 720. But if they do manage to get these titles out by then (especially with that being the best time for a price cut) they will be in a very good position
bicfitness  +   471d ago
Amazon told me that TLG was coming out in 2012 too. What happened?

/s

Retailers list placeholder dates ALL the time.
kirbyu  +   471d ago
"TLG"...what is that?
bicfitness  +   471d ago
"The Last Guardian."
Jek_Porkins  +   471d ago
The Wii U should have a good holiday because they'll have games by then and possibly a price drop. They will also benefit because new consoles from Microsoft and Sony will probably see very limited stock to start with, throw in a much cheaper Wii U price and you have a good scenario.

Where the Wii u might find a challenge is from the Xbox 360 here in the states around the holidays, if a $99 Xbox 360 is available at that time, and especially around Black Friday, that thing could sell over a million units on that day alone.
kirbyu  +   471d ago
That is, if anyone wants a 360. I mean how many people who would enjoy a 360 don't already have one?
Jek_Porkins  +   471d ago
There is always people that held out, but $99 would definitely make a 360 an impulse buy and there is a lot of parents and cheap people in the world. The Xbox 360 has hit saturation with core gamer's, but there are a lot more people in the world and especially in the US.

If everyone in North America already had a Xbox 360, why is it number one here for 24 straight months? I think there is still room to go, and a $99 Xbox 360 would sit nicely between Apple TV, Roku and various gaming platforms.
deafdani  +   471d ago
Xbox 360 at $99 isn't gonna happen. The cheapest price at retailers right now (that I know of) is $200, so it's not logical to expect such a drastic price cut.

$150, on the other hand, is possible. And if that happens, I expect Nintendo to cut the Wii's price to $100. :P
WiiUsauce  +   471d ago
yeah, but who doesn't have 360 already? I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I've had a 360 since 2007. I've actually had 3 Xbox 360's since 2007 because of the RROD BS that Microsoft pulled.
OrangePowerz  +   471d ago
While I do have a Wii U I cant see myself play it during the holidays if any new next gen system is launched. I know plenty of core gamers that dont plan on getting a Wii U any time soon and the look forward to next gen.

I'm not sure if the casual players will jump on it and the tech is on par with current can and cant compete with next gen.
truechainz  +   471d ago
You act like it is impossible to play both. I know I sure will be.
truechainz  +   471d ago
This guy does make it seem like some unexpected titles are coming too. Don't get me wrong I hope they do get these games ready by the holiday and I am excited to play them all, but the games that we have only dreamed of are still only a wish at this point. By this I mean games like a open world hd pokemon with good online battles and trading (which despite what some people think would move consoles like nobody's business).
Shadowsteal  +   471d ago
The funniest part for me is apparently the Wii U will deliver games we've been dreaming of. And if you look at the list. It's another* Zelda, another* Mario, another* Fire Emblem. No one's dreaming about those games, sure they're good but everyone's been playing those games for decades now. Nintendo is just as bad as Activision or Ubisoft releasing the same Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed every year. Whereas on the Playstation side we're always receiving brand new IP's such as the Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls. Why would anyone want to pay for a Wii U to play the same games they've been playing for years. I love playing games for the story and new experiences that every game shows me makes me feel proud to be a gamer. But I'm tired of exploring Temples in Zelda or Saving Peach for the millionth time. I enjoy stories like God of War, Uncharted, Infamous, and so on and so forth that only Playstation provides. So honestly Nintendo fanboys have fun with your rehashes whilst Playstation and Xbox gamers are enjoying Dead Space, Tomb Raider, Bioshock: Infinite, and our respective exclusives.
jcnba28  +   471d ago
You act like every Zelda and 3d Mario game are the same. Newsflash buddy they aren't. Nintendo innovates their Ips, sony and microsoft do not. This is why Nintendo games always sell well.

You want to know what IPs are milked? Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Rachet and Clank, Halo, Gears, Gran Turismo, Forza, God of War, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed etc. etc. etc.
#8.1 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Shadowsteal  +   471d ago
Stop spewing garbage. There's a Mario Kart game for every Nintendo console. There's a Mario Side Scroller for every console. Without Mario and Zelda your Nintendo console would have no games. And please, less than half of those franchises are milked.

Uncharted: 3 games, 6 years
Gran Turismo: Gran Turismo 4 came out 2005 and Gran Turismo 5 came out 2010
God of War: God of War 2 came out 2007, God of War 3 in 2010, and God of War Ascension 2013
Dead Space: Dead Space 1 in 2008 Dead Space 2 in 2011, and Dead Space 3 in 2013

Nintendo releases 10 Mario games a year which is honestly a new version of a previous genre. Such as a new Side-Scroller, A new Mario Kart, a new Mario Party. For god's sake the Super Mario Bros. for 3ds advertised its new feature of making everything money. And there's nothing new about Super Mario Bros. Wii U. Nintendo hasn't come up with a new fresh experience in a while. You guys all call Nintendo so creative when they milk the Mario name so much and add it on to every single game and call it an innovative experience. Honestly I don't understand how anyone can still play Mario on a Wii U and not feel tempted to play Games like Halo, Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, Uncharted, Bioshock. Those games sound a lot more fun to play than the rehash Mario games every year.
Shadowsteal  +   471d ago
Oh and please give me some examples on how they innovate. I'm speaking about recently. I'm well aware that Nintendo is a key player on why we play games today. But they haven't created a new IP in years. They refresh the same IP's Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, Mario Party, Zelda, and etc.
OrangePowerz  +   471d ago
ERatchet and Clank milked? If anything they should make more games.

Uncharted is a big reason why the last Tomb Raider game was actually good again and 3 games in 6 years is far from milking. Sony made a crap load of new IPs this gen with many of the games being very good like infamous, Journey or Little Big Plant.
grassyknoll  +   471d ago
Little Big Planet Vita had more interesting concepts & innovative ideas than the last 3 2D Mario games combined.
ape007  +   471d ago
my dream is to see the next big 3D mario game, speak for yourself
MasterCratosKong66  +   471d ago
Huff and puff all you want buddy. If you don't want it don't play it. I don't know why you try so hard to convince others not to play it. The two sided world you live in is sad. Those of us who can appreciate good games on all consoles have nothing to troll about like you. Also there are 6 games in the God of war series which clearly you haven't played them all. 7 if you count mobile which I don't.
BrianC6234  +   471d ago
Why waste your money on this thing when you can buy a real next gen console this fall?
MasterCratosKong66  +   471d ago
It is only wasted if you don't enjoy the games. Sorry if you don't but I do. Just as much as the games on Sony and Microsoft. Also I have made more money in smash bros tournaments than I spent on my last 2 consoles so technically I'm earning money.
Grimhammer00  +   471d ago
Seriously! How can people disagree with Shadowsteal?

While its possible that new Zelda or Metroid will be awesome. It really is more of the same ips.

Though at this point if Ninny would just open the coffers and invest in a proper online infrastructure that'd be a HUGE step forward!

But really.....I'll throw this out there. Ninny if you can make even one modern, mature, comparably fun Halo or Uncharted (not literally....but something on par with those games quality and story telling), then I'll buy your system.

Just show core gamers your capable of non-family, non-casual and non-10yr+ ips.
SethADrekin  +   471d ago
Nintendo is doing Just Fine right now, and they will be doing just fine well through the Holidays. The Next Xbox and the Next Playstation will have either no impact on Nintendo or give it a boost in sales. There are of course three reasons for this.

1. Nintendo Exclusives - Let's Face it. Even after 30 Years, everyone wants more Mario and More Zelda. If you can't afford all three consoles, you get one OP Console and a Nintendo.

2. Price - Sony and MS always over Price their Consoles. If we are lucky PS4 and Xbox will cost $400. When that number is Public, the Wii U will get a price cut.

3. Stock - From the day the first hints of the new PS and Xbox dropped the first thing that came out was; CPU Manufactures is not able to produce enough to meet demand. You know it's going to happen. Both of these console will have 1.5 Million to sell through Christmas and almost no one is going to be buying both.

Nintendo has something like 10 First and Second Party Games coming out through the rest of the year. Almost every Major Third Party Title that went in to Development after the Console was announced is slated for release on Nintendo. Sales are up, PS4 and Xbox Hype are down, and, with all three consoles announced by the end of May, E3 comes down to Software.
OrangePowerz  +   471d ago
I have Super Mario Bros U and I have more fun right now replaying the old NES and SNES mario games whil I didnt touch my Wii U since Jannuary. What I want as a new Starfox, F-Zero, Pilotwings and so on not IPs that Nintendo constantly releases.

I dont think that MS and Sony overprice their consoles they are just simply more advanced technologically and cost more to produce. Nintendo could quickly reduce the price of the 3DS because the launch price was far above of what it cost them to make it.

The APU from AMD is far from what the Cell was regarding complexity its not a completely new chip. The existing production plants can manufacture the new chip and they dont need to build factories just for that unlike the Cell that required new factories and had a high rate of chips that were faulty.

There is no announcement for GTA 5, BF4 or Destiny for Wii U yet and thats just to name a few that have been announced for other systems but no mention of Wii U.
AWBrawler  +   471d ago
So much wii u hate.
danitanzo  +   471d ago
This article is really hard to understand... And I doubt all those games will be released this year...
GraveLord  +   471d ago
If all else fails, the holiday after will be the one.
skipper  +   471d ago
PS2 beat out Gamecube and Xbox. Both had more power. We all know that. The Wii U is more capable than PS3 and Xbox 360. That has been shown in Need for Speed. That said no Wii U will not have the power of Sony and Microsofts next gen offerings, but it still will have the power to look better than what PS3 and the 360 offer, and with an added way to play. I have never seen a console offer so many ways to play games. Use the pro-controller and you gamepad for your HUD if you want and clean the screen up, or get your Wiimotes out... I guess for me it is about gameplay/games now, and not just how pretty the game is. So its PS4/Wii U for me.
#15 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
_QQ_  +   471d ago
Nintendo makes more money from software than consoles, if wiiu only sells 40M or 30M their software is stil going make them money , the ps1 was way ahead of the n64 in sales but the top 5 highest selling n64 games sold more individually than the highest selling ps1 game. Mariokart wii sold around 30million....nintendo will be fine.
#16 (Edited 471d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
HalfNerdHalfAmazing  +   471d ago
If u gonna own 2 consoles Wii u is a must have
profgerbik  +   470d ago
This why I can't stand "FANS".. Quotes like these are just stupid.

"Wii U will be sitting pretty knowing that the players know what their console is all about."

So Sony and Microsoft users don't know what their system is about? The Wii U doesn't have any release dates for any of these games.. It is literally in the same damn boat as the PS4 and Xbox 720 in terms of knowing.

Either way was just a snide comment to make as if no other people can know a system.

...and was Skyward Sword not on the Wii? He said they never released any Zelda RPG's on the Wii.. If you want to argue that it isn't an RPG, you need to look up the definition of what an RPG is.. I am not going to be a dick hat and post it like some people would you should know what RPG means.. It is simple .. So that seems like one to me.

There was also no 3D Mario? WTF?

I can't take this person seriously when they say even dumber things like that.. Here I will just list all the 3D Mario's that did come out on the Wii. None? Far from it.

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Party 8, Mario Party 9, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Sports Mix, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games were all released on the Wii U.

Was that not enough 3D Mario's? I can't help most of them were crap.
#18 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Elder Scrolls Online Plush Guar: First Impressions

29m ago - Skyrim Fansite writes: "Wow, that was fast! I bought an Elder Scrolls Online plush Guar from the... | PC

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson New Character Art Released, New Gameplay Video

30m ago - A new character for Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson has been revealed today. A new gameplay video h... | 3DS

GH Exclusive Interview With Thunder Lotus' Will Dubé on Jotun

41m ago - Travis Shuman of Gamer Headlines interviews Will Dubé on his Kick starter hit Jotun. | PC

Teaser Trailer for Adventure Time: Secret of The Nameless Kingdom Released

54m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Little Orbit debuted a new teaser trailer for their upcoming title Adventure Time... | PC

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

Let's Preview: DieselStormers | Saving Content

54m ago - Scott and Ed takes on orks and goblins in the Steam Early Access version of DieselStormers. | PC