Submitted by Rashid Sayed 474d ago | opinion piece

10 Most Underrated Games of this Generation

"Despite the sheer volume of top ten lists I've written over the years, I'm well aware of the criticisms surrounding the practice. My main beef with the format is how it sensationalises a small microcosm of the big AAA games everyone already knows about. How's an indie title ever going to stand toe to toe with the big boys in a generic “best visuals” type of list?" (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Godmars290  +   474d ago
Is it now fair to say that the reason Lost Odyssey is on a list like this is because it was Xbox only?
Sexius Maximus  +   474d ago
Personally, I'd say no. It was released very early in the life cycle. Like Folklore on PS3, the game was great fun, and underrated, but the install base wasn't there. Lots of great games suffer in sales this way. I think both LO and Folklore did fine considering.
#1.1 (Edited 474d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
dedicatedtogamers  +   474d ago
Do I win something if I've played all those games prior to seeing this list?

Lost Odyssey would have become more popular if Microsoft actually stuck with its original idea of becoming a JRPG source. Instead, they bought up a few high-profile JRPGs, got FF13 to go multiplat, and then called it a day. After the halfway point this gen, the PS3 became the go-to spot for JRPGs.

And although the author mentions it in passing, Resonance of Fate deserves far more attention and praise than Lost Odyssey.
#1.2 (Edited 474d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
omi25p  +   474d ago
So are you saying it was underrated because it was on the 360 or that people are saying it was underrated but it was actually bad and its bad because its on the 360?

On topic:

1. Alan Wake
2. Darkness
3. Metro *2033*
4. Infamous
5. Condemned
#1.3 (Edited 474d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   473d ago
I'm saying that it would have been overrated regardless, but it would have sold better on the PS3.

Not that Sakaguchi is talking to Sony. Still.
NewZealander  +   473d ago
Godmars you assume it would sell better on ps3, but theres no way you can say that for certain, there are plenty of games on playstation in the same boat, like ico, another fantastic game that at the time went under the radar, even the sony brand couldn't stop that.
HonestDragon  +   473d ago
I agree with that. Of the list, though, I only played but also really liked Catherine, Condemned, and Deadly Premonition (to an extent). Can't wait to see the remastering of Deadly Premonition. I heard the control scheme should be updated along with the graphics.
carroll3   473d ago | Spam
Rashid Sayed  +   474d ago | Helpful
Here is the entire list in case no one wants to click:

1. Catherine
2. Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
3. Lost Odyssey
4. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
5. Radiant Historia
6. Deadly Premonition
7. Eternal Sonata
8. Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
9. Condemned/Condemned 2
10. Stuntman Ignition
OcelotRigz  +   474d ago
Thanks man.
Hate when they put lists into slides.
3-4-5  +   474d ago
this site always does...it's annoying because they usually have stuff I want to see but I'm not clicking on all those pages..
BISHOP-BRASIL  +   473d ago
White people problems...

Just kidding, I hate those easy tactics to hoard clicks as much as the next guy, but the joke was just too easy to pass.
TopDudeMan  +   474d ago
Thanks. Having a look at that list, I actually have heard of very few of those games
Captain Qwark 9  +   474d ago
lost odyssey is amazing, id also throw in darksiders 1 and 2 as well as banjo kazooie nuts and bolts. banjo may not have been a traditional sequel everyone hoped for but it was original and tons of fun
FamilyGuy  +   474d ago
6. Deadly Premonition

Looked like garbage, I can't imagine a game like this being underrated. I guess I'd have to play it to believe it but it looked like one of those cheesy b-movies with terrible acting and a matching low budget. I'm just not into it :/
grailly  +   474d ago
clash of heroes isn't very well known, but it seems to me like it was really well received critically.

I would add motorstorm pacific rift somewhere in there.
admiralvic  +   473d ago
Catherine had a lot of good press / buzz, so I wouldn't call it under rated at all. Deadly Premonition is also getting a rerelease, which I think also goes against it being underrated.
Hicken  +   473d ago
Glad you got the "Helpful" instead of "Spam" bubble. That annoys me to NO end.

On topic, I've owned/heard of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10. Owned 1, 3, and 7. Great games, all, but Catherine got quite a bit of press, so I dunno if it really counts as underrated.
BanBrother  +   473d ago
In no particular order.

Lost Odyssey. Eternal Sonata. Metro 2033. The Darkness. Alan Wake. Tales of Graces f. Valkyria Chronicles.

I could name a few other JRPG's if PSP counts??
CaptainYesterday  +   474d ago
Catherine was an incredible game! And Stuntman Ignition was pretty fun too wish I didn't sell it!
despair  +   474d ago
most of these are far from underrated.
whamlollypop7  +   474d ago
I think the list needs Valkyria Chronicles, Spec Ops, and I'm sure there are many others.
CanadianTurtle  +   474d ago
Resistance 3
inFamous 2
Singularity
ILive  +   474d ago
Agreed with that list, especially Resistance 3, which is freaking amazing. I will put sleeping dogs as well. Good times with that game.
#6.1 (Edited 474d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
OcelotRigz  +   474d ago
Always felt the InFamous games were very underated, they were so much fun and played so smoothly, you'd think a game like that would do well because there isnt much open-world superhero games out there.

Also agree with R3, now im not saying its as good as Half-life 2 but it reminded me so much of that game, the atmosphere, the characters and story. Im even convinced one level was definitely inspired by the "Ravenholm" level from HL2. It also has the best and most creative use of weaponry ive played with in a game.
Strange that didnt do better critically, especially considering all the "copy and paste" shooters out there now that brings no innovation or creativity to the table and yet gets ridiculous scores
OcelotRigz  +   474d ago
Surprised i haven't played any of those games.
I think the problem with those games, for me anyway, they just look like the sort of games you wouldn't like. Its something you dont really think about, you just glance and quickly assume you wouldnt like it. Marketing and hype are important in that sense, where you try a game just to see what all the fuss is about.

Some of my favorite games are ones i didnt think i would like at the time and ended up playing them in retrospect.
Demon Souls is a perfect example, didnt like the sound of it at all until a few years later i got it really cheap and ended up one of my favorite all time games. Demon Souls itself is probably in its own way very underrated, its kinda lost in Dark Souls bigger shadow.

Xcom, now theres a game i thought would be terrible because i personally hate turn-based games and didnt like the look of it at all. Now im hooked in it.
Number-Nine  +   474d ago
enchanted arms and MAG come to mind.
MysticStrummer  +   473d ago
MAG is always the first title that comes to my mind when I see an article about underrated games.
Rashid Sayed  +   474d ago
My list:

Resistance 3
Spec Ops The Line
Valkyria Chronicles
Demon Souls (many people never knew about this game when it was released)
Castlevania (2010)
Amnesia The Dark Descent.
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   474d ago
100% agree with Castlevania Lord of shadows. And im very excited for the sequel this year.
Cam977  +   474d ago
Wow, nobody has said The Saboteur? Let me be the first.
Magnus  +   474d ago
I think Enslaved was an underestimated game even thoe people hate the title. I thought it was a well built solid game that was not marketed right.
Z501  +   474d ago
^ aren't all the games mentioned & the list rated pretty accurately? ( like catherine & folklore. 7.5 - 8 range)
BISHOP-BRASIL  +   473d ago
Remember that this gen was filled with hate for anything under 8, sometimes people would complain about a 9 score, specially earlier in this generation.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, 7.5 shouldn't ever be considered a bad score, but by the ongoing standard of what was good and bad those games got a negative view from their scores, even if not technically underscored.
pr0t0typeknuckles  +   474d ago
Personally prince of Persia 2008,vanquish,bayonetta,and darksiders are some of this gens most underated games.
DaPrintz  +   474d ago
Prince of Persia ...... loved that f@ckin game.
josephayal  +   474d ago
Operation Flashpoint,i really wish that game had gotten more attention here in the states. operation flashpoint is the best FPS this gen
superterabyte  +   474d ago
Sleeping dogs was underrated by some.
Indo  +   474d ago
If Sleeping Dogs was titled True Crime 3, I would think people would look twice. The title doesn't sound appealing but the fighting was truely fun.
GloriousBagel  +   474d ago
Finally a good read. Chatherine definitely deserves to be #1
Tontus  +   473d ago
1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. (9.5/10, Amazing)
2. Alan Wake. (9.5/10, Amazing)
3. Resistance 3. (9/10, Great)
4. Infamous 2. (9/10, Great)
5. Bulletstorm. (8.5/10, Very good)
Max-Zorin  +   473d ago
Lost Odyssey is proof the best RPG's are always overlooked.
StreetsofRage  +   473d ago
Most underrated game this gen in my book? Shadowrun! The most original competitive shooter this gen.
edonus  +   473d ago
That is so very true.

They messed up though by not having a single player game in there, but yeah..... that MP cant stand up to any MP this gen.
Oh_Yeah  +   473d ago
I'd say RAGE was underrated and hated on by many for some reason...The game is good though, it has everything.. Great enemy ai and physics, nice graphics and atmosphere and a mix between first person shooter action and driving/vehicle combat so it didn't get stale. Vanquish was another awesome game that went under the radar, that game was a blast and had some of the best gameplay mechanics I've seen. Also Sleeping Dogs and Mafia 2 are thee best games in the open world crime genre imo but they got way outsold by lesser quality games (GTA IV, Saints Row 3)
#20 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
edonus  +   473d ago
I know i'll get super flamed for this one but the most underrated game this gen is easily Steel Battalion.

Not to say its a perfect 10 but they gave the game 0.0s and 1s.

The truth is like with any game if you dont know how to play it you cant enjoy it and lots of people not being kinect savvy couldnt enjoy it.

If you were one of the few "core" kinect gamers that learned how to fluently control everything the game is easily a 7 count the innovation your looking as high as an 8, Lack of MP combat really hurt.

You can fully customize your VT inside and out all with their own benefits.
You have a platoon all with their own stories that have different skill sets that you have to protect because if you lose them it really affects the game. Real consequences.
A decent little story kinda crazy but makes for an interesting little world.
And interesting methods of interaction.

This game is like a treasure in chest and the key is learning how to play it. If you get inside its pretty good.

Their is lots of dirty cheap programming tricks in it that the devs used you though. If you meet someone that beat this game, Be impressed. This is not for the faint of heart . You will rage quit with in an hour.
Stoppokingme  +   473d ago
I have to agree with Lost Odyssey and Condemned, bring on condemned 3 I say.

Now we wait for the inevitable 'most overrated games'
list. And I think we all know who will be the first nominees...
#22 (Edited 473d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
maryangelynstoke   473d ago | Spam
Sugreev2001  +   473d ago
Spec Ops:The Line defines the term "underrated".
Prcko  +   473d ago
agree

Game Idealist's Nyko Power Pack: Dual Shock 4 external battery for PS4 review

5m ago - The Nyko Power Pack is said to add more battery life to the Dual Shock 4 controller of the PlaySt... | PS4

Spawn On Me Episode 23: You're Flamingo Teeth, Lisa Brown

11m ago - Insomniac's Lisa Brown visits us here Brookago to talk about their new game, Slow Down Bull. We f... | Culture

Naruto Storm Revolution: Sakura and Kakashi Screenshots Part 2

11m ago - Bandai Namco Games has released another 8 screenshots. | PC

Twitch.TV Now Integrated into Runescape; First Browser-based Game to Integrate Twitch.

11m ago - Jagex, creators of one of the world’s largest free MMORPG games in Runescape, has announced today... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Danganronpa Double Pack Announced For Asian Territories

20m ago - A Danganronpa Double Pack has been announced today for Asian territories, including the two games... | PS Vita