Submitted by Broll 376d ago | opinion piece

You Hate Microsoft For All The Wrong Reasons

Cheatcc says - "The more I read about this Adam Orth situation, the more irritating it becomes. Not because Orth was particularly offensive—he was mostly just being hyperbolic and insensitive—but because gamers have completely thrown any semblance of reasonable thought out the window." (Adam Orth, Microsoft, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

iGAM3R-VIII  +   376d ago
@article lmfao

On-Topic: The only part I hate is their silence and the non-confirmed stuff like the 'always online' rumour that is 'always online' :P lol. I think the reveal of May 21st is just to far away for MS to not say anything, nevertheless if these rumours are true that is a serious disadvantage
#1 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(20) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
darthv72  +   376d ago
"May 21st is just to far away"
but it's worth waiting for.

I love how the rumors are all bad on MS with an online component for games to work but that sony is given a free pass in the same regard. Sony may not enforce it, then again they will have to if the game publisher requires it. So who is really the bad guy here?

the platform (PS4/720) or the content provider (EA, Capcom, Konami...)

MS coming out and saying "yes our platform will need an active internet connection because the content providers require it" is different from sony saying they wont but that 3rd parties may require it..... how exactly???

Like it or not, it seems very plausible that both platforms will be trying to appease the content providers with some form of active online connection. AND both will have it "REQUIRED" depending on the game/content in question.

Rather than MS being silent that people are up in arms over, they should probably turn the attention to sony and how they wont do anything to stop the practice by 3rd party companies who have the right to do it.

I really hope in the end, both dont pursue such a direction but it could very well NOT be up to them but the companies making the games. Them wanting to know which is going to cater to their needs for a more secure system.

Seeing as this is competition, I'm going to go on a limb and say BOTH are going to do what they can to secure the deals for 3rd party content to be available on their platforms. Even if it means succumbing to developer pressure for an always online system.
#1.1 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(18) | Report | Reply
iGAM3R-VIII  +   376d ago
it was supposed to be in April but they postponed it. Unless they postpone again then I guess it would be at E3. It would be very interesting to see if all of these rumours are true, and to see what games and what type of console they are brining (non-coregamer or coregamer)
#1.1.1 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report
I hate paying for multiplayer, charging indie devs 10k for a patch, possibly having SuperDea spend 20 years to life for leaking xbox 720 documents, lack of core games since 2010's alan wake(which I got on pc), defending online drm, trying to be like apple but worse, messing up windows, etc.

Seems legit to me.
#1.2 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
BABYLEG  +   376d ago
You're suppose to hate Microsoft.

Sony is the face of the industry
Nintendo is a other face of the industry
and Microsoft is the heel of the industry

remove the heel and you have a sewage water
AngelicIceDiamond  +   376d ago
Sony was the heel and MS was the baby face this this gen.

Now according to rumors MS is looking like the heel and Sony is the baby face. While Nintendo is the "tweener" (Both good and bad)
PopRocks359  +   376d ago
I don't hate Microsoft at all. I hate their all but confirmed "always online strategy" and their incompetence and/or inability to rectify the PR issue. Maybe the author hasn't noticed but this sort of DRM has never worked and only punishes the consumer. PC gamers have had enough of it I'm sure and I doubt any console gamer wants it on their preferred platform.

The Orth situation only made it worse because we're talking about a CREATIVE DIRECTOR at the company making insensitive and ignorant remarks about gamers in regards to the negativity towards an otherwise strictly punishing feature.
Bimkoblerutso  +   376d ago
Yeah, it's such a weird article. People are actually just angry that his comments present further evidence that the next Xbox is going to be "always on." It's a problem that the author himself acknowledges....in the same article.

I mean yeah, Orth said some ridiculously stupid things, so the first law of the internet dictates that a shitstorm commence, but people are pissed at MICROSOFT itself because "always on" seems almost inevitable at this point.
#2.1 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
MariaHelFutura  +   376d ago
I think you meant wong weasons. ( this might not make sense later)
Transporter47  +   376d ago
I think that nobody needs to defend Microsoft but Microsoft, if they want to keep their consumers happy why not just make a comment about it, the longer they wait the worse it slowly gets for them, at least in my opinion.
Jek_Porkins  +   376d ago
No hate from me, why would I get mad at rumors? If something is true that would be a totally different story, but you wont see me get pissed over rumors and speculation.

I know how these things work, smokescreens, false documents, supposed leaks, someone could have found an old document that MS discarded and WHAM! We have a new rumor that is completely false.

The thing I don't understand is why people are all like "Yo, MS needs to comment on dis right now ya heard". What the heck kind of a new console announcement would that be?
"We aren't using always online" is not the way I want to hear about the next Xbox, I want a huge event with lights, music, games and all that kind of spectacle. Yes, I realize we all know a new Xbox is being made, but there is a large group of people who don't know, that is why the Xbox 360 is the only console up month over month right now, so let them reveal it when they want.
Mustang300C2012  +   376d ago
I agree with you completely. The people who bitch about the current 360 and paying for Live and who has the best graphics are the same people constantly complaining about a system they say they are not going to get regardless. It wouldn't matter if this rumor wasn't an issue to them. They would find something else to complain about. Life is too busy to be that worried about this seriously lol.
MariaHelFutura  +   376d ago
I'm sorry. But I like how out of light, music and games. You listed games last.
Jek_Porkins  +   376d ago
Does it really matter what one I put first? I realize this site is conditioned to Sony's "Were for gamer's", but they are after the same meatball that Microsoft is after, they want music and movies on their device, social media, camera and motion controls.

I like all kinds of games, I mentioned games, I think you are looking for something that isn't there.
MariaHelFutura  +   376d ago
No. I actually don't mind some of your posts. I just found it funny.
Why o why  +   376d ago
cant get too riled up over speculation

can get annoyed at how they dealt with that same speculation

cant moan about the specs we know nothing of

Some people are going too far but those who are just concerned are being lumped in the same category. When both consoles were allegedly considering blocking used games BOTH were getting it in the neck not just microsoft. Sony spoke up and gave some clarity whereas MS did not.

The onus is on them to quell fud just like they did with the halo to pc saga....they weren't caught on their heels then but now we have the guy, who used to be super loud, greenberg waking from his slumber to say he doesnt know the guy whos causing more concern .....when he could of just killed the rumour dead..he chose not to thus fueling more speculation.

I also think hate is a strong word.
darthv72  +   376d ago
guilty by association
that is the feeling i get when I see people use the official comment from MS concerning the tweets from Orth.

They dont want to admit or deny anything, and their simple means to state something... is used as a form of guilt on their part even though they didnt confirm or deny anything other than the guy works for MS.

for some, that is all the proof they need to be convinced. If they dont come forward to squash the rumors...their hiding something. If they come forward to apologize for some other guy flying off the handle...their hiding something. If they come out and squash the rumors...their STILL hiding something.

That's why its best for them to just keep quiet till we are ready to listen, instead of speculate.
Jek_Porkins  +   376d ago
How would you like to see Microsoft deal with speculation for a console they haven't announced yet?

"can get annoyed ms has shown an inability to cater to both core and casual with a greater balance"

That is strictly your opinion, and maybe a lot of people feel that way, but nobody I know feels that way. Imagine a world where gamer's enjoy Kinect and motion controls and yet can love games like Halo, Gears, Forza and the great content on XBLA? Some people are very short sided when it comes to certain aspects, but how can someone hate on Microsoft for doing the same thing as Nintendo and Sony?

I'd say Microsoft's 2012 Xbox 360 lineup was more core centered than the PS3's lineup, which saw Wonderbook, All Stars and LBP Karting.

As for used games, Sony was dogged with rumors all of last year, they didn't rush out and deny it, they waited until after their PS4 reveal and were very, VERY cagey about it, we still don't know.

Microsoft is right to stay the course, they are making headlines without saying anything. If they came out and said one thing or the other, they would risk losing the record numbers that are going to tune in to find out these things.
Why o why  +   376d ago
nobody is hating on kinect lovers or their preference. It amuses me to hear how you say 'nobody you know' feels ms shifted towards the casual BUT you did acknowledged some may feel that way so fair do's. My point is the discontented are just as important as those who are content if not more so due to the fact its easier for my type not to purchase another ms console.

My story is a different one but not too dissimilar from many n4g members which is that the 360 is my secondary console so my multis are played on my ps leaving its exclusives being the main reason I own a 360. The backlog is running low.. Many 360 guys have recommended many great titles that were released before I grabbed a 360 but if a chunk of them weren't rpgs I'd have nothing to play within my preference SO do I want more games that I like. Er yep. Am I into kinect, er nah so I would like more alan wakes, crackdown 1, crimson skies, panza dragoons....damn right I do and I dont feel I'm being fanboyish about it either why should the console im paying live fees on to be gathering dust.

I feel they give less back to my type especially compared to gen start when greenberg used to be so loud. Sad thing is the concept of exclusives gets downplayed by many now. Kinect exclusives aren't for me I'm afraid.
#5.3.3 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report
Hicken  +   376d ago
Of course you wouldn't hate Microsoft. Even if they hit your dog with your car they stole while your girlfriend laughed from the passenger seat.

Edit: Mature people are also able to reasonably speculate, taking into consideration current trends/conditions. Nobody's drawing conclusions, as of yet, but more like hypothesizing. Theorizing. You know what that means?

"If then, then that."

"If there's no used games,
If it's always online and doesn't work in any other way,
If it's focused mainly on the casual,
If there aren't any/many new IPs,
If Kinect is required for the system to work,

then I won't buy."

Seems a pretty mature way of doing things, to me. It's better than just blindly following, or blanket accepting. Can he HONESTLY be happy with EVERYTHING Microsoft has done? For all that your Microsoft-loving(both open and closet) friends may want to profess me as blind fanboy, I'm not happy with everything Sony does or has done.

(Yeah, imagine that: a "Sony fanboy" who doesn't love everything Sony does... wait, is that even a fanboy? No, I thought not.)

I wanna see the reveal, too, and I hope that none of these rumors turn out to be true. But it wouldn't exactly be mature of me to ignore what's going on already, and what's being indicated to happen. That's the exact opposite: sticking my hands in my ears and repeating "I don't hear you."

That's what Jek does, and others too: instead of approaching the rumors objectively, they choose instead to disregard the rumors, their sources- and subsequent credibility- and anything concrete that may lend weight to the rumors.

Can't figure out how it's immature to critique before any info is official, as even a person/company's silence can speak volumes, given context.
#5.4 (Edited 375d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
JeffGUNZ  +   376d ago
Or perhaps he enjoyed what the 360 gave him this generation and is just eager to see the reveal? You know, some of us educated people here don't draw conclusions until we have all the facts. Right now, we have no facts of the next gen xbox. Like he said, we don't know what they will reveal, but as a mature person, we wait for official reveal before we start to critique.
FrigidDARKNESS  +   376d ago
ITs the pro Sony people that hates MS but little they know that Tvhe very pc they use to post there hatred and anger was developed by MS.
#6 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
thebudgetgamer  +   376d ago
I'm pro Sony and I don't hate anyone that makes video games.

Except LJN, I hate them so much!
gamejediben  +   376d ago
There is a special place in the deepest, darkest corners of hell for LJN. They turned our favorite movies and TV shows into the crappiest games in history.

Beloved properties like:

Back to the Future
The Karate Kid
Spider-Man
Alien
Jaws
and many others

There is no curse in all the tongues of men for this treachery. May the bastards burn forever.
InTheLab  +   376d ago
Actually on my Kindle fire. This isn't 1999
Jensen  +   376d ago
wrong*
FarCryLover182  +   376d ago
You're right!
Jensen  +   376d ago
WOOO! :D!
Bar_Brothers  +   376d ago
The more i Read about the next Xbox
The more im reserving some cash for Ps4 just in case, i will expect for the full annoucment but their is no way Microsoft is getting away with this.

Allways online, no used games, Kinect, media... They are giving gamers who made Xbox a big middle finger.

I dont want to not buy the new Xbox but if those stupid rumours are true i might have to go with Ps4, im sorry Microsoft but if you want to lose costumers you are doing it right.
#8 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
thebudgetgamer  +   376d ago
The only problem I have with Microsoft is their inability to cater to people like us and casuals at the same time.
Williamson  +   376d ago
I dont hate microsoft or any company( Cant think of one atm), but I do prefer some over others.
sprinterboy  +   376d ago
never owned a MS console, always been Sony consoles, but always look fwd to console releases, I will buy the ps4 day 1 but I look fwd to 720 news at E3 and the odd thing is this rumour of always online does not phase me one bit about the new MS console, if it has great looking exclusive new ip`s that i am interested in then I will buy 1 a yr or 2 down the line, same with nintendo, never owned one cause i dont like zelda or mario, but if they show some cool looking new ip`s then i will buy a wii u further down the line.
clintos59  +   376d ago
I dont hate microsoft. I hate the way they like to take money from its fanbase but give so little back to its fanbase & the game industry as a whole. For example its been 2 gens now and how many games has microsoft themselves created without the help of other studios? Exactly & they are the only ones to charge just to play online. This is a company that has way more money then both its competitors put together & yet they have the smallest to offer out of its competitors. Does that even make any sense to its loyal fanbase how little u get from this rich corporation u love so much? Doesnt make sense to me but guess it is easy to persuade the blind. Thats why I dislike them.
ThichQuangDuck  +   376d ago
I dislkike microsoft for how much I have spent on Xbox Live for essentially just a party system and some streaming the occasional good xbox live game. Xbox Live needs to be free on the next xbox otherwise they have lost many
4lc4pon3  +   376d ago
I dislike microsoft for my OWN personal reasons not because of Orth and I will explain why I dislike them.

1. No Innovative IPS or New IPS. (games I liked: Condemned, Kameo, Gears of War, Fable, Alan wake)

2. I will NOT pay to play online EVER. $60.00 per year just to play online is idiotic

3. You get ZERO deals with your $60.00 per year where Sony gives you tons of free stuff.

4. I really disliked the UI. IMO it was pretty annoying

5. Kinect: Kinect is a damn childs toy and no REAL gamer should waste there time on this crap. They focused way to much on the stupid thing rather then bringing out new IPS

6. RUMOR but could be true: I will NEVER support a console that IF true requires me to have internet even to play single player games

7. RUMOR: Blocking used games is absolutely retarded IMO. I NEVER buy games at a retail places and I get all my used games or even NEW games at major discounts. Like I got gears Judgement on release on newegg for 40.98 shipped. No game is worth $65.00

8. Kinect NEEDs to be always kinected so it can WATCH your every move. If I want to watch a movie and I have to many people watching it the movie will stop and make me pay extra? BS

I am PRO Sony and always have been and after I sold my 360 after Judgement was released I am not going back. They can keep there KinectBox 2.0 "Always Kinected" and you can all enjoy your Media Center console thats not focused on games but stupid crap like TV or Netflix & Kiddy Kinect games
#14 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
FunAndGun  +   376d ago
The single reason I don't support MS is because I will never pay to play online.
JeffGUNZ  +   376d ago
Question, with Gaiki and all those features, what will you do if PS4 starts charging for psn?
FunAndGun  +   376d ago
Well, I still think there will be a base option that will allow for free online gameplay with PS4. I do agree that Gaikai and that share button stuff will definitely have a charge associated with them.

Also however, it is not about the money, it is the principle behind being FORCED to pay to play online with MS that I have a problem with. I have a Plus subscription but it is 100% optional. Without Plus I can still game online for free.

If you MUST pay to play online with PS4, I will be sticking with the PS3 for awhile, bitching about having to pay to play with PS4 to Sony, and then probably migrating to PC or stop being a core gamer altogether.

If I supported MS this gen I would be out over $350 JUST because I wanted to play the games I have purchased online. That money could have been used to purchase my next gen console!! I don't enjoy being extorted. I am a Sony fan, but I still wouldn't support the PS4 if I feel forced to purchase things I don't want.

If online was free with MS I would have a 360 sitting next to my PS3, no doubt!

I honestly just wish all gamers would have said NO to being charged for online play right from the start. It would have gone away, but now there is precedent for it because MS made it successful. I am glad I wasn't part of that process.
JeffGUNZ  +   376d ago
Thanks for the reply, I respect your position. I have been hearing rumors the 360 will have a basic free p2p feature, but the REAL features will be on Gold. Again, all rumors, but if the features they can offer justify the price point, then I will pay. If not, eh. I don't know what to do.
DigitalRaptor  +   376d ago
I don't necessarily 'hate' MS although at times it frustrates me how people can continue to support them after they do the things they've done and continue to do that are anti-consumer.

Xbox is indeed a great brand, but my problems lie with MS:

- They knowingly rushed a faulty product to market, denied what was an undeniable fiasco, and only after it risked going to court did they extend the warranty to save face.
- They have charged and continue to charge for P2P connectivity in online games. Look it up and you'd be astonished that they can use this as a crux to get gamers to pay to play the games they already own.
- They restrict FREE apps to a premium service and somehow this is okay and legal(!?)
- They hyped up their core audience for Natal/Kinect at every E3, and ended up marketing it to and mostly focusing it on the casual audience.
- They appear to spend more on marketing and securing deals than they do on making games.

Essentially, they treat their consumers like idiots and I won't be a part of that. They take more from gamers than they give back. Next gen will be telling as if these rumours turn out to be true, there's no more defending to be done - as if anyone can currently defend $60 per year access to P2P gameplay and free apps.
#16 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
jessupj  +   375d ago
Agreed.

This is why I hate MS. Yes I hate MS. Some may argue I'm a fanboy, but I'm just a gamer loathing an anti gamer company.

But at least I can understand MS. They're very greedy and don't cared about ripping customers off to get what they want.

What I don't understand are the people that actually defend them. Sure you can enjoy the console and admire the exclusives, but if you call yourself a gamer you should not be defending ms practices at all.
RuleofOne343  +   376d ago
I have nothing but Respect for those that founded MS and those that keep MS running & thinking forward.
mochachino  +   376d ago
I don't hate MS at all, I do hate paying for Live however....and MS peripheral and movie rental prices....and not benig able to access Youtube and other free apps without first paying.

I think I just hate MS Entertainment Division business practices.
#18 (Edited 376d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
AnimeAvenger  +   376d ago
I don't care what anyone says, MS may not have as much ips as Sony but I must say Halo 3 lasted a good 2-3 years followed by CoD. Those were my most played games out of the many others I have. So in my opinion, its not even about having exclusive games. I play more on PC now, but when I'm deciding the next console to buy, I will buy the consoles my friends all decide to get. Cause with online n stuff, exclusive or not, gaming with friends whenever will always been fun. That's what gaming is all about right?
trenso1  +   376d ago
as long as they require payment to play online i dont think i will ever consider buying their consoles. That and their exclusive titles dont really give me a reason to want their console
urwifeminder  +   376d ago
Sony has my hate in droves ms are like gaming giants to me.
SOULJER  +   376d ago
Let me tell you why i dislike microsoft. #1 RROD I got that 7 mind you 7 times. #2 One system I got, Mark up all my game disc. #3 Paying for LIVE, paying to use my own online service is mess up. #4 Paying to use other services while I still pay for 60 dollars for Live. #5 The hell with microsoft points. #6 kinect garbage. That shit rarely ever worked. #7 No blu-ray. Four disc for one game. Serious. #8 The same bull shit exclusives. #9 No new IP. #10 That controller can give you arthritis feels like a F-ing couch in your hands. That's my top ten.
JeffGUNZ  +   376d ago
No one believes you. If you ruined your 360 7 times, it start to point at user error. I have never met anyone in real life he had a 360 go down more then twice. Never. Also, the fact that you have one bubble clearly indicates you're a troll. Lastly, learn how to speak English correctly. Your parents would be ashamed if they read that atrocity of a post.
Quelqui  +   376d ago
Has anyone felt concerned about the Gaikai always-online functionality yet? Because I'm feeling just as uneasy about that as the xbox always online scheme. The only difference being that I won't have to use Gaikai, while, if I purchase an an xbox I'll be forced to face my crappy internet connection every time I power up my console. That won't be fun.
ALLWRONG  +   376d ago
MS hate is mostly just here at N4G

Things we’d Love to See in Red Alert 4

48m ago - GamerBolt: " Here are some ideas that we’d love to see integrated into the next iteration from th... | PC

League of Legends is Hard to Get Into, Because of Its Community

1h ago - Max Level: League of Legends is the front-runner of anything dealing with E-Sports — bolstering o... | PC

Grind or Not to Grind?

1h ago - 'Having finally obtained a PS Vita and gained the ability to play PSP games, I have been able to... | Culture

Forward to the Sky, Zelda-like action adventure game Indiegogo launches

1h ago - Forward to the Sky is a third person action adventure game in the sky tower ruin. Without a singl... | PC

inFamous: Second Son (PS4) Review

Now - Ken abuses his powers in the latest entry in the inFamous series. | Promoted post

Chalk Warfare 3.0 Brings Creativity Back to VFX Gaming Shorts

1h ago - Entertainment Buddha's Matt Heywood writes, "The SoKrispyMedia YouTube channel has released the t... | Culture