Submitted by Phil32 378d ago | article

'Mario,' 'Zelda' creator says give the Wii U time

Larry Frum of CNN writes, "The Nintendo Wii U has seen its star dim somewhat since its launch in November 2012. Worldwide sales numbers for the console have been disappointing and some gamers have complained that the number of desirable games for the system hasn't grown quickly enough.

However, the man who brought to life Nintendo legends like Mario, Link and Donkey Kong is preaching patience with the console, saying the Wii U, with its touchscreen controller that augments big-screen play, is so different that it will take time for people to understand its real value." (Industry, Nintendo, Wii U)

Prodigy-X  +   378d ago
Now yall know how the PS Vita feels.
Godchild1020  +   378d ago
I mentioned the same thing when reading the title. Except it went like; Isn't that what Sony said, or at least wait until its first Holiday/Christmas?

I like them both and own them both. Games will help sell the console, but I'm sure a price is in both their futures, especially in the US and EU.
sengoku  +   378d ago
it's all about the games.
i'm sure when they get more AAA+ title the console sale will improve accordingly.
LOL_WUT  +   378d ago
The thing is the Wii U did go through it's first Christmas and the sales were average at best. Nintendo need to give the Wii U an OFFICIAL price drop for the sales to pick up then they can go from there. ;)
gamefiles   378d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
3-4-5  +   378d ago
People were saying same thing about 3DS...and then the games started showing up...not just any games...good games...really good games.
Hicken  +   378d ago
People were more saying it wasn't worth that price AND there weren't any games. The Wii U isn't really in the same shape, from a price perspective, but it IS suffering a game drought.

I think the Wii U's sales will pick up when the games show up moreso than with a price cut.

The Wii U DOES need- and deserve, I suppose- time, but giving it time is no good if no games come WITH that time.
SilentNegotiator  +   378d ago
Sure, it had nothing to do with the system dropping its price by over 30% as equally priced competition started coming its way.

/s
#1.3.2 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
AngelicIceDiamond  +   378d ago
Give the Wii U time? I guess but how will Nintendo answer to PS4 and the 720? Much stronger hardware attracts third party for ambitious projects and next gen AAA's. The only thing I can see Nintendo accomplishing is better looking ports on this gen.

btw The same thing happened with the Wii this gen, majority of Pubs went with Sony and MS consoles. A large amount of Devs and pubs right now, are announcing they are skipping on the U. EA, Epic.

Like I said before, Nintendo's E3 will be very interesting regarding, well, everything.

Sorry for being largely negative but its a huge concern that I have. "Give The Wii U Time" The time needs to be very very soon.
CouldHaveYelledUiiW  +   378d ago
3 Characters: 3DS

Further:

I understand Vita's woes not because of WiiU but the 3DS.

(But as a Nintendo Fan I think I can go back further- Seeing how Blind Nintendo Hate is a mainstay in the Gaming Industry. )

I want all to do well, but I want Nintendo to do best because Games is all they "Gots". (All= includes Microsoft, Sony, IOs, PC, Ouya, Flash...)
lilbroRx  +   377d ago
Really, can we have a single nonegative Wii U article without something Sony related being shoehorned in from the start?
Nilemonitors13  +   377d ago
It's all karma, they prevented the ps vita from getting monster hunter, now they wish the WiiU had the Ps vita sales of japan, I seriously hope they do better since I will buy the WiiU for pokemon.
Dj7FairyTail  +   377d ago
Not the same situation.
He talking about Second Screen the Gamepad not sales.
gamefreak1198  +   377d ago
Personally I think the PS Vita truly just needs a price cut right now in North America and Europe to get sales with ads obviously because we all know Sony hasn't done well in the ad space without Kevin Butler. Games aren't its main problem (A problem though). While the Wii U just needs the 3rd Party Support and Games. The price I think is perfectly fine for it not even being a year old yet. I mean it would help but I am not going to buy a Wii U until I am convinced it will be supported by 3rd Parties and not just Nintendo. I hope for the best for both systems. I want both but until the games come to the Wii U and the price drop of the PlayStation Vita happen I am going to hold back on them.
#1.9 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   378d ago
Okay. But you gotta give me games. Xenoblade 2's a good start, but you still gotta deliver it - and its got no release date in Japan already.

Edit:
Not trying to be rude or implying impatience, just saying what I've seen and what I want.

And what I've seen and what I want looks like Monster Hunter with mechs where the mechs can lob off monster parts. Slap something like that on the PS4 - make it so that social, multiplayer aspects aren't deeply involved - and that's good too.
#2 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
PopRocks359  +   378d ago
Not saying I disagree, but Miyamoto's not working on X. That's Monolith's territory. That and they can't snap their fingers and make the game finished.
Phil32  +   378d ago
I think that's the problem Nintendo has right now. They really can't just snap their fingers and make games finished, even though right now they sort of need to to have something, anything on the market.

Nintendo thought third-parties were going to support the Wii U and the company wouldn't need to develop so many games at first. Iwata was once again wrong in his assumption, unbelievably.
360ICE  +   378d ago
But they could co-ordinate software development in such a fashion that Wii U buyers get some games every now and then. Then again, no one could have predicted that Lego City Undercover wouldn't be the best game ever. It looked fantastic.

@Phil32
Note: "Not the best game ever". I'm sure it's fun, but it hasn't taken the role as game of the year contending system seller as the Wii U could have needed.
That it's your favourite Wii U game is sort of adding to my point.
#2.1.2 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report
Phil32  +   378d ago
I found LEGO City to be my favorite Wii U game so far. So funny, full of content, and fun. A lot of reviewers liked it actually.
rainslacker  +   377d ago
@Phil

Nintendo announced the Wii U almost 2 years ago. They didn't have to snap, but they should have been more prepared than they are. Right now, the lack of any sufficient game library is the only disappointment i have with the system. Nintendo, and it's 3rd party support, had plenty of time to make games for the system. At this point in time we shouldn't be hearing "They're coming, just wait you'll see", we should be hearing "And this is what we have coming out after all the games being released this year".

So I guess my question is...how long should we give them? The launch line up was good, but what now? A bunch of games which may or may not be released this year? How many titles have already been delayed? Right now I have no expectations of Nintendo, and while I like my Wii U, I feel I may have jumped the gun on supporting them so readily and early with this system.

I do agree though that Lego City is a lot of fun, and while the games are sparse, there are some decent titles worth picking up should one get the system. It is rather hard to defend the lack of software outside that though.
deafdani  +   378d ago
Have you played the first Xenoblade? Because if you did, you'd know it really doesn't play like Monster Hunter, and it's very likely that Monolith's new game will play more like Xenoblade than Monster Hunter.
Dj7FairyTail  +   378d ago
That because it only in Alpha stage.
Orionsangel  +   378d ago
Give the Gamecube some time. Oh, Third place? Ok then.
Whymii  +   378d ago
Sorry, I didn't know it was a race.

Who came first in the last race? Was it the 360 or the PS3? Oh wait, they came equal last to the clearly inferior wii in sales figures. Of course, the technically superior Atari Lynx and Sega GameGear won against the monocolour Gameboy, just as the PSP and Vita beat the inferior DS and 3DS. Of course they didnt, but people do like to delude themselves. Personally I couldn't care less as I've owned or still own all of them and can name a dozen games on each that I'm glad to have played. So who cares about numbers, really? It's the games that matter and I'll take quality over quantity anytime.
#3.1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
AJBACK2FRAG  +   377d ago
Lol! You dream! e3 is coming and Ninty is bringing pain for you and boundless joy for us Wii U owners. Mario Kart U. Mario Kart Wii sold over sixty million copies that's more than six times the amount of copies SCEA sold of Gran Tourismo 5. If history holds half true that's thirty million copies an god knows how much hardware. Super Smash Bros. U. Might "Move" some hardware! Lol "might"! We'll probably get a Zelda U trailer. Retro studios hopefully will be ready to show the super secret software they been workin on. Mario 3d. If Nintendo released a sequel to Super Mario 64 they'd be back in the money printing businness pronto! I'm secretly hoping for a new F zero. The Wii U is going to win this eighth generation of home video game consoles. Here's how. 1. Nintendo is the best software developer in the world. 2. Their hardware is indestructable. 3. The people that populate Miiverse to me are the kindest, nicest, most fun loving people on the face of the planet and are incredibly talented and artistic. 4. The Wii U will be the least powerful console. 5. Lateral thinking with withered technology!
All we have to do is wait for amazing software. It takes longer to make amazing gorgeous games than it takes to make garbage. I'll wait to play the best software on earth.
#3.2 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheTwelve  +   377d ago
Oh stop, Nintendo never brings pain. They bring love.
diepdiep  +   378d ago
Boy, I would do anything to meet Mr. Miyamoto in person. Too bad I can't speak Japanese :(
Trunkz Jr  +   378d ago
That doesn't stop you from going to the red district.
AJBACK2FRAG  +   377d ago
That would be incredible! He can speak alot of English. His English speaking voice is weidly low pitched.
HeroReborn  +   378d ago
I own a Wii-U but my patience with being a early adopter went out the window after the Rayman debacle
Whymii  +   378d ago
Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.
HeroReborn  +   378d ago
Well you put some faith in a company when you by new tech but I can see your point lol
dungeonboss  +   378d ago
I AM GIVING IT TIME!!!
by playing MH3U for ungodly hours...
Studio-YaMi  +   378d ago
Same here,man I am kicking some major dragons butt with my big bro ! haha xD
LKHGFDSA  +   378d ago
we've already given it 2 years since the original leak, and it's as gimmicky and useless now as it ever was.

Edit: and it's just going to get worse, with next gen consoles coming out soon.
#7 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(21) | Report | Reply
Ck1x  +   378d ago
There are only the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft at this point. The 8th gen is already under way now people whether you like it or not, so stop trying to take the WiiU out of the equation... Of course Nintendo isn't allowed to have flaws ,they are Nintendo! lol
But yeah people are going a little nuts about what Sony's PS4 is going to do to the competition. If the PS3 couldn't bury the Wii and that wasn't even HD and Microsoft isn't going to give Sony another hardware failure opportunity like the RRoD again so things are going to be alot different this round. I guarantee after E3 people won't be running around praising the PS4 as much when everybody's hands have been shown at the event. I just hate unnecessary hype and Sony is gonna eat this whole PS4 has supercharged PC technology B.S.! Developers are already coming out and making excuses for why this game or that one won't be running at 1080p or 60fps. So its not looking so Supercharged now is it?
#7.1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
xursz  +   378d ago
It's already established the Wiiu is no Wii, not that it has to be, but still.

As for Xbox 720, if going by the rumors, I don't think I would let Microsoft pay me to walk out the store with one. My mind isn't made up on that yet but the consensus of rumors say they're going to look to burn me on that console in any way possible, and that's no exaggeration. Blocking of used games, mandatory kinect, always on DRM, you name it, if half of the rumors come to be true I won't be going ANYWHERE near that thing.

Right now the Steambox seems more appealing and I know precisely nothing about their current plans. Now I wonder if Microsoft's way of appealing with their reveal is to lead us on with the worst expectations so whatever they show couldn't possibly be as dissapointing as we expect. That's why I'm saving my final judgement.
WeAreLegion  +   378d ago
It doesn't need TONS of good games to sell. It just needs one. Look at the 3DS. There are very few games on the system worth purchasing. Yet...it sells like cocaine.
deafdani  +   378d ago
Nah, there's already quite a decent amount of worthy titles to play on the 3DS.
Ck1x  +   378d ago
I agree, I don't know where people get this notion that the 3ds doesn't have a variety of games or its going through a drought. Even on the latest episode of Invisible Walls, they mentioned that both the Vita and 3ds should be in their prime software wise right now. I don't know about the Vita, but the 3ds is kicking A$$ when it comes to games right now and the rest of 2013 is just going to get more hysterical by E3... I don't even know how Nintendo is going to find the time to unveil everything about the upcoming WiiU games and still take care of their 3ds business at the same time. They must be planning one massive Nintendo Direct right before E3 or something for certain.
rainslacker  +   377d ago
Both the 3DS and Vita line up for the rest of the year(and up to this point) is pretty damn good. Quite honestly if all you had was the 2 mobiles you would have more games than you'd have time to play.
BosSSyndrome  +   378d ago
You kiddin me? 3ds OBLITERATES cocaine!
AdvanceWarsSgt  +   378d ago
3DS no games? LOL that was true............like 2 years ago.

Way to show your fanboy colors though.
jokia005  +   378d ago
someone said PS3 is dead already!!PSvita is dead obviously.
then give wiiu time.
haha
lovegames718  +   378d ago
Lol PS vita has better games on it than a pseudo debunked next gen console so there is a difference. I don't care about who likes me or being politically correct on this site, %uck Nintendo and its rehashed IPS and no innovation in software since like 1993. I rather have innovative software than a gimmick controv scheme any time of day. They lie about hardware and keep specs hushs hush because theybknow digital foundry and neo GAF is right n in saying its current gen. Only idiots and dreamers think otherwise. Stop lubing your %ss for Nintendo and speak up,
mudmax   378d ago | Trolling | show
Whymii  +   378d ago
Wow. So much anger and hate directed at a company that has done you no personal harm. Or did Miyamoto run over your dog?

Mate you need to increase the dose or stop what you're smoking and chill out a bit before you wind up doing something really stupid. You don't want to end up going Lee Harvey Oswald on Mr Iwata or Mark David Chapman on Shigeru, now do you?
#10.2 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
AdvanceWarsSgt  +   378d ago
LOL Nintendo couldn't care less about the opinions of people like you who have never owned and never will own their products.

That said, I do wish in the future that they don't gimp their consoles in terms of specs. The WiiU for instance, was purportedly more powerful in the original devkits before Nintendo decided to weaken it.
#10.3 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Ck1x  +   378d ago
I actually don't think that was the case... If you go back to what reports said that early WiiU Devkits were using a down clocked Radeon 4850 and then when version 4 of the devkit came out right before CES 2012. All the developers that had received the kit at the show were raving about the unexpected power boost the new version had brought. Then comes the final devkit right before E3 2012, that allowed developers full access to the WiiU's power. Which must have been significant for Retro Studios to pull their game from the unveiling. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo unlike what they did with the GC by giving theoretical capabilities of the systems power. They haven't mentioned a word to developers about how many shaders it has, or the number of texture units, or the memory bandwidth of the system. So developers are finding out on their own what the system can do pretty much and as someone else mentioned, most of the current graphic engines are modified with 360&PS3 in mind not WiiU. But the fact that CryEngine3 struggles on the 360&PS3, but yet Crytek says the engine runs beautifully on the WiiU should answer people's fears about the system.
#10.3.1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report
jcnba28  +   378d ago
People who say rehashes their IPs with no innovation are just downright trolling. Nintendo are the only company that innovates! D-pad, Analogue stick, diamond buttons, motion controls all of these things Nintendo made successful. What exactly has sony done since they've entered the market that was so innovative? All I can think of are the dual analogue sticks. Sony always play it safe with just updated graphics. People are getting bored of updated graphics and want new experiences. Sooner or later it's going to bite then in the ass.
Tultras  +   378d ago
I've done my waiting, 20 YEARS OF IT!!!

:'(
mudmax  +   378d ago
So why are you reading the Wii U thread on N4G then. Ha
Tultras  +   378d ago
I like to visit the past, you see, here in the future there are no quibbles about the success or the superiority of next gen consoles, because everything has achieved Vmax, all of them are everything, and everything is nothing.
M-M  +   378d ago
The Wii U is having a very rough start as of now, give it some time and it will shine through.
mudmax  +   378d ago
I love my wiiu. The most enjoyable console i've ever owned. But, I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown here soon if I don't see what Retro is up to. I hope they blow our minds and shut up the naysayers.
#13 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
BootHammer  +   378d ago
Out of all the E3's for Nintendo I believe this one could very well be the most important for the gaming giant. They'll face incredibly stiff competition from Microsoft and Sony as they show off their new powerful hardware and exclusive games.

If Nintendo can get going with some solid marketing and start producing more first party titles much faster they can still do very well with the Wii U. 3rd party support is very important but in the end, people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games.
#14 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ARESWARLORD  +   378d ago
I don't mind giving it time if it will pay off in the end. However I wish I was not a day one purchaser. Nintendo was not ready for this launch, and Best Buy and Future Shop and Costco up here in Canada have had great deals on the system for much less then the 349.99 I spent for the Deluxe at launch. This is the second time this has happened to me I also was a 3DS day one guy who got screwed when Nintendo dropped the price on that thing 3 months in. I've been loyal to them since and first played Nintendo on the Coleco Vision but this will be the last day 1 Nintendo system for me.
#15 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Realplaya  +   378d ago
It's def not about the hardware it's about the games. If you go to a store and game system A has 200 great quality games and console B has 5 games that are great as well. Game console A is getting 20 more games that are great between now and a year and console b is getting 5 more games in that similar span of time. You as a consumer have been told that system b isn't getting this game in the near future if at all would you spend your money on system b even if the hardware was better?

The answer for me is no. Now here is the real talk no chaser will manufacturers continue to pull a gearbox on us. Show us one thing and do another because all the sizzle reels and promised games that we see in then presentations most of them are tech demo's that either don't come out or don't come out when promised so we get to look forward to ports.
GotHDGame  +   378d ago
My thoughts are, with the 3DS doing really well now. Why would Nintendo not have put a little more focus on Wii U before its release. Like maybe instead of making Luigi's Mansion 2 for 3DS, developing it for Wii U first as a launch window title. Luigi is a system seller (Not for all) at least it would have helped. I already have Wii U, and would gladly have picked Luigi's Mansion up for it. I really thought the first one was a blast.
DivineAssault  +   378d ago
i know for a fact some fantastic games will come to wii u eventually.. Im being as patient as possible but as an early adopter, i must say im pissed off i cant play anything i want to play on that thing & that its collecting dust.. I shouldve waited to buy it after it had around 5 games i wanted to play out already... It was my own fault for buying at launch but i honestly thought that rayman wouldve been out by now as well as bayonetta 2 around the corner... I know i wont trust anything nintendo says anymore until i see it on shelves..
mochachino  +   378d ago
So why did they release it already without games and more importantly, what incentive is there for people to buy it now and not later with a price drop.

Why was Nintendo so unprepared to support Wii U.
Plagasx  +   377d ago
Give it some time? Sure, until the PS4 and next Xbox comes out.
sdjoijsdf   377d ago | Spam

Setting Off the Kessler Effect in Habitat's Space Junkyard | Hardcore Gamer

11m ago - It’s the end of the world again, but this time we’ve got a bit of warning. Nanobots are eating th... | PC

Play the Nontendo 4DS in Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for Free in the Nintendo 3DS eShop

27m ago - In Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, players get to know Rusty Slugger, the sad sack salesman who runs... | 3DS

Fails of the Weak 187

31m ago - Jack and Geoff bring you this week's Fails of the Weak in Halo 4 and Halo Reach! | Xbox 360

Game Fails Recap for the Week of April 7th, 2014

31m ago - Michael, Ray, and the best of the worst for the week of April 7th! | PC

Filmwatch April Contests

Now - Calling all Marvel fans. Come celebrate the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier with us as we give away a cool prize for fans of Cap plu... | Promoted post

Let's Play Minecraft - Episode 99 - Golden Hoe

31m ago - The AH crew is back with the 99th episode of Minecraft! This week they play "Golden Hoe." | PC