Submitted by legendoflex 475d ago | opinion piece

Don’t Like the Idea of ‘Always-Online’? Blame Gabe Newell

GenGAME writes: "One of two things must be true. Either consumers don’t really care that much about online-dependent services and DRM – that’s the truth that Microsoft is banking on if the rumors are true – or they make special exceptions for Steam (which, incidentally, also suggests that they don’t care that much).

"You can’t have it both ways. Either increasing dependence on online is bad, or it is not bad. And if increasing dependence on online is bad, then logically-speaking Gabe Newell and Steam – being the pioneers of this approach – are the source of the problem." (PC, Steam, Valve, Xbox One)

« 1 2 »
Prcko  +   476d ago | Funny
always online is really bad idea
anyway
#1 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(86) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
legendoflex  +   476d ago
I don't really buy into it, but gamers have been "dealing with it" in terms of online-based access to games for quite awhile now. It's only when something catastrophic happens connected to the service that we see real and meaningful backlash.
sengoku  +   475d ago
it's the next step no one denies this, but it's just to soon.

if and when the internet is as plentiful as the electric net then it wouldn't be a problem but that's still 10 year off into the future if not more..

so this idea of forcing always on should be shelved for till next-gen.
awi5951  +   475d ago
Plus the internet prices are still too high, too slow, and too unstable. You guys are too young to remember when steam had no offline mode. And when millions bought half life 2 we couldnt play our games because the activation servers went down and no one could play. To make it worse they made alot of the disks wrong so you got bad copies of the game that just wouldnt activate. I had to return 4 copies of half life 2 to walmart before i got one that worked. Always online is a stupid idea dont do it.
decrypt  +   475d ago | Well said
Blame Corporate Greed. Not Gabe Newell. Steam has an Offline mode. Even then most of us prefer to game online due to all the online features Steam offers.

If anything Its Gabe who rescued the open platform PC.

Had Gabe not been around and Steam didnt exist, PC would have been wiped out by now. All that would have remained would have been Consoles, governed by corporate greed.

List of things consoles have managed to accomplish this gen:

Mods disabled- Console makers hate mods so do publishers, as mods tend to increase the lives of games. Even though current consoles are easily capable of Mods, purposely Mods are left out. So people have to pay for DLCs, Devlopers will now shamelessly sell Weapon Skin DLCs. Since console gamers dont have a clue, these things can be done for free they are easy prey to this. The net result games which previously had mod support for PC, their sequels dont. Hence gamer rights are taken away.

Incomplete games- Corporate greed doesnt just end at mods being disabled. A good portion of games are left out to be later charged as DLC. Hell some will even go as far as locking out content already available on the disk. Since consoles are locked down platforms, Devs can easily take advantage of this. Its not like console gamers can do anything about it, they just have to accept things as they come. With PC things are always different, PC community can actually fight back with cracks if Devs tend to get unreasonable.

No innovation- Dumbed down games with generic game play. With mods gone, devs themselves dont want to be taking any risk. Hence you dont get to see innovative game designs on console such as Portal, Dota, DayZ. You get the same generic games rinse and repeat. Again its been Gabe who has been supporting newer ideas.

In the end dont blame Gabe. The open nature of the PC would never allow Gabe to take unfair advantage as the PC community can always retaliate. Hell we could just buy our games from other sources and ignore Gabe. The same cant be said for Consoles, When Sony and MS make a policy its for all console gamers to adhere to, they are locked down to what MS and Sony feel is right with no rights at all or ways to take control of their machines(oh wait when you buy a console you dont even own it).
#1.1.3 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(39) | Disagree(11) | Report
TopDudeMan  +   475d ago
I don't mind activation codes, but always online sucks.
Lone_Man  +   475d ago
lets see what will happen...i think that Microsoft is not that dumb..but hey they have built windows 8 didnt they...
thechosenone  +   475d ago
So it's all Gabe's fault? lol That so freakin' pathetic.

The blame lies squarely with the publishers and the shareholders, they're the ones pushing for stricter DRM schemes, if you want to blame the ones truly responsible for all this then focus your attention on them....and MS for being cowards and for not standing up to these as*holes.
#1.1.6 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report
Godmars290  +   475d ago
@sengoku
Letting publishers retain all rights, "allowing" them to cut servers and kill a game you supposedly outright bought, should not happen.
BattleAxe  +   475d ago
This article is a huge fail. If the writer uses Steam, then he would know that you can play games in your library in Offline Mode.

Edit:

Funny GIF, I found the comment about the WiiU to be especially funny lol
#1.1.8 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report
dedicatedtogamers  +   475d ago
@ BattleAxe

Steam isn't "always online" but it does use online as a form of DRM. I'll use Dishonored as an example. I bought a physical copy from an Amazon sale for my PC. The disc arrives. I install the data. It asks for a license key. Okay, nothing new. Then, the game wants to link into my Steam account to verify. Problem was, I bought a physical copy because my internet had been down for a week at my apartment. So, I'm SOL, even though I bought the game and I entered the CD key. Then, two weeks after my apartment gets its internet back, it goes out again (due to line repairs). For the first week, I can play my Steam games, but after that Steam says "Steam is in need of an update. Please go online". So, once again I was locked out of my games.

Please don't spread misinformation. Steam is a great example of online DRM. The only people who deny it are being ignorant on purpose.
ThanatosDMC  +   474d ago
Steam games can be played offline. Troll article.
#1.1.10 (Edited 474d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
d0nT wOrrY  +   475d ago
I laughed my a** off at this gif HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ezio2048  +   475d ago
Hats off mate....! :D:D:D:D
Your pic just made me laugh my a** off. Epic is the word. Bubble...definitely!
#1.3 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Studio-YaMi  +   475d ago
That pic was just too funny ! thumbs up + bubble
zeeshan  +   475d ago
Epic gif! Thanks bro!
a_bro  +   475d ago
i just read all that with the Bane Voice...Awesome.
sourav93  +   475d ago
Dat gif! XD
Mathew9R   475d ago | Spam
ninjahunter  +   475d ago
Lol @gif Lets not make any rash decisions haha.
MikeMyers  +   475d ago
That was hilarious. I love the part about the Wii U.

Anyways this is what I was saying earlier. Steam authenticates your game purchases so it is interesting how vocal people are about the new Xbox and how some people have double standards. I seriously doubt the system will require a constant connection since we know how terrible that can be.

Piracy has basically hurt the honest purchaser and piracy was an issue on both the PC and the Xbox 360 (to a lesser degree on the PS3), and the Wii and PSP. Even games come with codes in them to access online portions of a game and I wouldn't be surprised if this happens for single player games too down the line.

This isn't to defend Microsoft, it's to acknowledge that we already live in a connected world and Steam is one prime example. We also live in a world where things don't always run smoothly as noted with SimCity and Diablo III. However Diablo III sold over 13 million copies, would it have been less if it was DRM free and didn't need a online connection?
CDzNutts  +   475d ago
Dude I just watched that entire Gif movie. It was awesomely epic and epically awesome.

Bubble up for you.
Godmars290  +   475d ago
Where's the Hitler one?
cannon8800  +   475d ago
that was the longest gif I've ever seen.. I mean watched.
cgoodno  +   475d ago
Last time I checked, STeam isn't an "always-on" system.
Insomnia_84  +   475d ago
Now that I think about it, my PS3 is always connected to the internet, when I turn it off, the green light stays on. That's how it connects remotely to my Vita, right? but that's optional. Why make something like this mandatory even to start a game? Microsoft is crazy. The way it is with the PS3 is the way it should be, an option, not a requirement even to start a game. I don't get this.
MASTER_RAIDEN  +   474d ago
lol
"cunts! cunts! cunts! cunts!"
forcefullpower  +   476d ago
Dont even bring Gabe into this. This is the most lowest point in trying to deflect crap. I will definitly not buy the next xbox now.
#2 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(29) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
legendoflex  +   476d ago
"Don't even bring Gabe into this" is the EXACT logic I'm arguing against. When you're complaining about players in the "required online services" side of the industry, EVERYONE needs to be brought to task.
#2.1 (Edited 476d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Roccetarius  +   475d ago
People have been putting Steam on such a high pedestal for years. They're just not aware enough to acknowledge that they started it.

The double standards are strong.
#2.1.1 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(5) | Report
cyguration  +   475d ago
Except I've been using Steam in offline mode most of this week because my ISP has been going out all week long.

With my games on my HD, I don't NEED to be online to play them via Steam.

Facts...they're sometimes important when making points.
papashango  +   475d ago
always on drm is just that.

how that hell is it "always on" when you can play your games offline?
Cueil  +   475d ago
Gabe pioneered the idea with HL2 and any game that uses Steampowered is always-online through Steam. Play a game on steam that uses Steam and then alt-tab and close steam and see how long you can play that game -_-
Doctor_Freeman  +   474d ago
Umm I start a game and alt tab out of it and close Steam to maximise resources on every single game I play.
majiebeast  +   475d ago
If i turn off my internet now steam will still let me play my games.
Eamon  +   475d ago
A lot of people forget about this. You need only sign in once then you can go offline as long as you keep your PC on.
MuhammadJA  +   475d ago
Not really. Try activating Steam with no internet connection, it will tell you to check your connection or go straight to Offline Mode.
Eamon  +   475d ago
Umm, to sign in you need an internet connection obviously. Once it's done, disconnect the internet and it will automatically go into offline mode.

You can still launch games offline. Of course, except online-based games like L4D2 or DOTA.
hiredhelp  +   475d ago
I have a steam account with alot games tied to it I'll tell you my biggest worry is no Internet connection or loss of it from my ISP.
At least consoles you can slap in disc play so I get where Eamon is comming from lifting DRM would be welcomed by me.
Viper7  +   474d ago
Steam has this feature called the Offline-mode, which allows you to play games while your machine is off-line.

Used it just yesterday when my Modem decided to break down. (had basically zero connection to the internet at that time)

Offline mode has always been a bit buggy tough, there was time where I needed to "initialize" offline mode when I was online just so that It would work next time I booted my computer in non-connected enviroment.

This feature is extremely useful for laptops.
#3.1.4 (Edited 474d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
aliengmr  +   475d ago
Quiet! That sort of talk undermines the argument being made.
user7693958  +   475d ago
yes know and i bet they had to please their fans but you could not in the past..they start it.
urwifeminder  +   475d ago
I have no probs with steam or xbox being allways online i love how my games are saved on the cloud of origin and uplay as well if you live in the past stick with your old consoles.
bub16  +   475d ago
this on stuff has gone to far, if microsoft choose to have "always on" let them lose out on a huge chunk of sales.

i dont even like the idea of online passes and refuse to buy games with them, so buy the my xbox and in with the ps4
JasonXS12  +   475d ago
Steam has an offline mode. Either that or you can go into the place your games located and open it from there.
awi5951  +   475d ago
Well the guys at shack news called it the video game industry is heading for a new Crash. With people like squarenix saying 4 million copies sold in one month is a failure and microsoft and rumored even Pc is going all ways online. The game industry will crash from the corporate greed that's going on. You can look at nintendo right now with the sorry Wii U sales and you have to think the big players will be going bankrupt soon and take most of the industry with them.
zme-ul  +   475d ago
what the hell has Gabe have to do with MicroSoft's shit for brains?
STEAM can be switched to off-line mode and still allows you to play games
even EA's Origin has an off-line mode

hell, there are games released on STEAM that don't require STEAM to even be running
#8 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Somebody  +   475d ago
I can't blame Gabe Newell for always online DRM because I've always play my Steam games in offline mode (games start faster this way).

I only go online when there's an update or for multiplayer. Can a truly always online DRM allow me do that?
#9 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kevnb  +   475d ago
It was going to happen with or without him. Steam has an offline mode by the way.
Dannehkins  +   475d ago
Hate to break it to the author, but steam is primarily a game downloading service. When you sign up to Steam, I pretty much bet that you intend on downloading a game from steam at some point. So the chance that the person using steam has an active internet connection is probably very high. And as already mentioned, it does have an offline mode.

The Xbox on the other hand uses a mixture of downloadable content as well as hard disk copies. Chances are that people are going to be buying a hard copy of their game and well. So if the games constantly require an active internet connection, I see a massive pitfall looming.
OmniSlashPT  +   475d ago
Sure, you need to download Steam in order to get it, but you can play any game off-line. I've played LIMBO or Portal several times because I had no internet connection and wanted to be entertained. Your argument doesnt make sense, as much as you do damage control, Adam Orth's words are completely ridiculous.
ninjahunter  +   475d ago
Article is flame bait, i havent had the offline issues in years, I can go offline when i want, or need to, if i get disconnected from the internet it doesnt kill my game and if i do have internet i dont get hit with "servers are busy, you cannot play your game".
pissed999  +   475d ago
Steam games can be played offline. Most pc gamers pirates games anyway. Only recently consoles use internet. Article is huge failure trying to be contraverailz like most of the lame attention seeking articles on ng4.
hesido  +   475d ago
When the frigging hell will people understand that Steam has an offline mode? Unless the publishers have stupid extra DRM, Steam's basic DRM allows offline play. You have to login every now and then (just log in) for prolonged use (weeks). Then again, how do you think a platform that allows you to install games on INFINITE number of PC's (again unless the publisher has some stupid scheme going on) should work? Can you come up with a better idea than Steam that developers can trust?

Also, there are many channels to buy games on PC, but on a console, there won't be. So if you still cannot somehow comprehend how Steam works, you can always buy from somewhere else, but on a console, always online requirement will be really bad.
#15 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Dms2012  +   475d ago
If Google fiber were everywhere AND at affordable rates I could see it working, until then its simply not viable.
Igniter  +   475d ago
So why do you think you need a fiber connection to make always-on work? If always on is for authentication then all you would need is dial up or it could be done with wireless. Any connection will do!

The whole argument that something won't work because everyone in the world doesn't have access is invalid. XBL launched when a lot of people had no broadband access and it survived! Services create demand for infrastructure and new tech.
Godmars290  +   475d ago
XBL "survived" because MS both charged for it and was paid through advertising.

Meanwhile they worked an exclusivity deal with Netflix which ended up as a waste. Given that the PS3 because that services most preferred platform almost before the exclusivity deal was done and you needed a disk to assess the PS3.

Why? Because people weren't paying for XBL just to get at Netflix on the 360.
Deadpool616  +   475d ago
Ahh, they think the internet is the consoles ally? Consoles merely adopted the internet. The internet was born in PC's. Molded by it. I didn't see the internet until I was a man.

Actually, the last sentence isn't true, but you get the picture.
aliengmr  +   475d ago
Call me crazy, but I blame the folks that made their game require a "constant" connection.

PC gamers had to rely on the internet for games. Walk in to a brick and mortar circa '02 - '03 and what did the PC game section look like? If there even was one.

From there, digital downloads became an alternative to shipping costs and waiting.

Through all this, a connection to the internet became a must. So that's what PC gamers did. All Valve did was make a good service.

I would say that the majority of PC gamers are fine with DRM as long as it stays out of the way. But as soon as it starts being intrusive, a fuss is raised and Ubi has back away from always-online.

There was a point a long time ago when you had to go online to go offline on Steam. That's been changed.

Its true Steam requires you to be online more than consoles, but like I said, PC gamers are used to that.
GraveLord  +   475d ago
No, I'll keep blaming Microsoft. No one has a problem with always online, but having it lock you out of games/apps when you're not online? THAT'S THE REAL PROBLEM HERE.
Godmars290  +   475d ago
That's actually the unanswered question: Do you just get a brick that asks to be connected?
MuhammadJA  +   475d ago
Steam has done DRM right. Lots of freedom and you get to keep your games if the service fails.
Tzunoy  +   475d ago
My wallet is mine and i choose how to spend this is where you can hurt them. As long as you dance on their songs they will sing. :))
#21 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DivineAssault  +   475d ago
MS is just too damn cocky it seems with the comments they made about customers not wanting those types of requirements.. That "dont like it? Take a walk!" attitude isnt what you do to gain more followers.. The east wont accept the nx box & im sure many others in the west wont either.. Whoever decided that blocking used games & net connection just to play thing will prolly be fired by the end of nx gen or sooner.. This can potentially kill xbox unless it has some mind blowing features that people go crazy over
AO1JMM  +   475d ago
But I can play my Steam library games in "offline mode".
Zerotino  +   475d ago
There is a difference though. For one yes you can play your steam games in offline mode. However the main point is if you have steam odds are your constantly hooked to the internet anyway in order to receive its updates/browse store/download/install games etc. With home consoles a majority of users will by them physical game and think nothing more of it except play it. But with this 'rumor' flying about people won't be able to do that. The beauty of home consoles is the ability to choose between online and offline (y'know, hence we have a sign in option?), its a system that's worked for years practically since the birth of the internet so why change it now.
Oh_Yeah  +   475d ago
You can mod the games you get on steam, you can pick at what fps and resolution you want to play at, you get deals on games, you don't have to pay a subscription to play multiplayer...on xbox you get none of that.
#25 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
kesvalk  +   475d ago
except steam has a offline mode where everything except multiplayer works and the game only needs connection to the net for the first activation.

i sniff a microsoft damage control group making this article...

they are very butthurt after valve dissed windows8 and started supporting linux.
#26 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kevlar009  +   475d ago
Gabe Newell is wary of pure Cloud gaming for the same reason why Always-On is dangerous. It's alright when a small portion of the population is part of a network, but as soon as millions are connected-in the network begins to suffer, there's only so much a technical system can take before it cracks. It's one thing to advocate logging in for benefits of being online, but to force a connection can only lead to feelings of resentment and unintended moments of sub-par performance.

I don't believe 2013 is the right time to force Always-on, the issues out-weigh the benefits in my mind.
artdafoo  +   475d ago
Companies will always try and get away with anything they can as long as consumers let them, some people are willing to pay $ to be able to play online, others prefer not to. Some will not mind having their nextbox always online, others say screw that. Its capatalism kids, if enough people say eff you MS and leave their consoles collecting dust on store shelves. They will change their strategy, the power is in our hands. But like PT Barnum said " there's a sucker born every minute "
#28 (Edited 475d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kikoano  +   475d ago
Valve never force you they add choises.
Th3 Chr0nic  +   475d ago
Steam has offline mode, letting you play games offline......
« 1 2 »

SWTOR Lowdown: Party On The PTS

1h ago - Joe from Gadgets And Khajiits brings you info on PTS patch 2.9! | PC

EVE Online Has A New Executive Producer

1h ago - CCP Games has announced today that their sc-fi MMO game EVE Online has a new Executive Producer:... | PC

Wooden Sen'SeY review (Wii U eShop) by Wii's World

1h ago - Wii's World reviews the recent eShop release "Wooden Sen'SeY" - an indie platformer with a Japane... | Wii U

Activision unveils new Eon's Elite Skylanders figurines

2h ago - Fans of Activision's Skylanders series will soon have new limited-edition figurines with which to... | PC

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

Valiant Hearts: The Great War Review: More than a War Game | GamerTell

2h ago - From the review, "War is often glorified when it comes to the world of modern video games, but ne... | PC