Submitted by dvewlsh 377d ago | opinion piece

Always On DRM Could Sink Microsoft’s Xbox 720 Quickly

Explosion.com's Dave Walsh explores the rumors of the Durango/Xbox 720 and the always on DRM feature, how it could alienate some gamers or even push them to the opposition of the PlayStation 4 or Wii U. (Microsoft, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One)

lastofgen  +   378d ago
Oh, man...how many articles formed from misinterpreted information are we going to see??

If you did carefully inspect those "leaked" documents, you would have realized that this always online thing applies to updating apps, games, etc. when it's turned off (the final version of the product in consumer hands) and that the devs that got Durango devkits required them to remain online for verification purposes (so they wouldn't sell it to the public...to avoid situations like those Durangos on sale on ebay---this feature is most likely reserved for the devs in this early stage so nothing is leaked and probably won't make it to the final consumer product) and for keeping the devs up-to-date with the latest updates for the kits as Microsoft is probably constantly updating it and want the devs to have the latest info/firmware for optimal performance.

And if you're going to disagree with me, please at least let me know why if I have made any errors reading those "leaked" documents.
#1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(30) | Report | Reply
thechosenone  +   378d ago
Because in the article that I submitted it clearly states that it's for the purposes of DRM. Did you even read the latest info? Without an internet connection your Xbox won't launch any games or apps at all, you won't even be able to play single-player portion of the game. Wow can you believe it? I can't.

"The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection -->To Start Games<--"

@below

Do you seriously expect all of their sources to all have the same info at the same time? Does that hold true anywhere else? No. Certain people have better connections or higher access to sensitive information.

"that feature is exclusive only for dev Durango kits"

#1.1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
lastofgen  +   378d ago
Well...these "sources," fake or real, are essentially split on the issue.

Some say they don't know anything about an always-online requirement and some say it's true. It could be just that the ones that are saying it's true don't realize that the feature is exclusive only for dev Durango kits to prevent its possibly restricted sharing or sale.

@ above

"Do you seriously expect all of their sources to all have the same info at the same time?"

that's my point below. There are so many sources with conflicting info, but these websites take the most controversial rumor that would generate the most clicks...and bam, it's in their title of the article, giving that particular rumor major emphasis and convincing a ton of people who would normally avoid reading the entire piece that that rumor in the title is the only one that exists.

Don't you see that as problematic?
#1.1.1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(11) | Report
iGAM3R-VIII  +   378d ago
I agree to this article because then a lot of people who do not have internet cannot buy the 720 which means a massive sales lose in that area. Also, what about server maintenance that would be hell
aviator189  +   378d ago
"wow..hahaha. we'll find out later this month at their press conference, or is next month now? MS is so shifty these days that you never know what they're planning to do next."

I don't think ms have ever been shifty regarding their possible xbox 720 reveal date. At the start of the year, majornelson put a countdown on his website to e3 2013. And that's the last ms has commented regarding that.
I think it was just all these rumors from unofficial sources that were and are doing all the shifting.
#1.1.3 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(6) | Report
ShinMaster  +   377d ago
People who don't mind paying to play online
won't have much of a problem with it.

And that's all I'm going to say...
dangerousjo34   377d ago | Spam
aviator189  +   378d ago
Well, I haven't actually read through them all, but that does sound more down-to-earth and realistic.

Hopefully, all of this can be sorted out by e3 2013.
dvewlsh  +   378d ago
Yeah, the Kotaku article today was pretty much the latest on it.

It literally says "Durango consumer units" will need an internet connection.
#1.3 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
lastofgen  +   378d ago
Right...then it says that some of the sources don't know anything about this always-online connection. And then some of the sources say that this feature is for Microsoft to keep the devs updated with recent dev firmwares and to keep tabs on them.
And then we have that "always online, always connected" one...which could be interpreted in multiple ways. The most logical interpretation would be that this feature is probably optional and would allow the consumer to switch it on and always be connected online so that they wouldn't have to sign on everytime to access xbox live--something a little similar to ps4's quiet sleep mode- you remain connected so you don't have to sign back on but can still play the games (not mp online) if it goes offline.

So....websites like kotaku basically take the rumor that would cause the most controversy, thus more hits for their website, and give it major emphasis by placing it in their title---which is what basically most "readers" comment based off of.
#1.3.1 (Edited 378d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(15) | Report
NastyLeftHook0  +   378d ago
I think sinking the ship is a understatement, it would not even get off shore.
dvewlsh  +   378d ago
I can't think of many people who'd want to play with such restrictive DRM.

Imagine if the Kinect scanning the number of people in the room thing comes true. That'll be worse.
potenquatro  +   377d ago
Why is this article in Wii U news? We don't do flamebait 'round these parts
fermcr  +   377d ago
Don't trust rumors, but if it's true... bye bye next Xbox (at least for me).

... But there are many users (not on N4G) that probably won't mind being always online. Just take a look at how many people bought Simcity and Diablo 3.

I also thought Microsoft wouldn't get away with paying to play online, and they have been pretty successful with that.
#1.6 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
JoeReno  +   377d ago
Hey thats one way to make everyone buy a gold memebership. Always connected console + 60 bucks to use any of its connected features, like a story mode of a game.

/s
Hellsvacancy  +   377d ago
Its really not going happen, all these developers that have been saying these things have probably been told to say them, so then everyone thinks MS will actually do it.......making them look like the bad-guys

Then in a month itll come out that its untrue, making MS look like the good-guys

Either way itll be irrelevant by that time, because most of the talk on the internet until that point is going to be about "the next-box", thats free advertising right there

I honestly dont give a damn, I wont be buying one, ill be happy with me PS4
#1.7 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
sherimae2413  +   378d ago
but what if this is true?,

oh well just a rumour, let microsoft confirm these, right?
aviator189  +   378d ago
The thing is, as someone mentioned above, there are just too many contradictory rumors for us to make sense of any of them and have something solid to go on.
Monkeysmarts  +   377d ago
Contradictory or not, all these rumors are really dampening my enthusiasm for the new Xbox. I would like to have both a PS4 and 720 to get the best of both worlds, but if any of this stuff holds water about the 720 then it will be hard for me personally to pony up the cash for one... just on principal alone. This is not the direction I want console gaming to go.

Hopefully it all proves untrue.
LOGICWINS  +   377d ago
Even if it was true, I'm sure Microsoft will axe the feature between now and E3 considering the negative reactions towards it. Then again...theres a WIDE market out there of less informed gamers who don't think this is a problem.
sherimae2413  +   377d ago
very true oni-chan ^_^
NateCole  +   377d ago
Agree. The more backlash the better.
Septic  +   377d ago
Even more informed gamers might not care. My mates in a whatsapp group don't see what the big deal is.
rainslacker  +   377d ago
If it is true, then we can find out how well accepted something like this goes. If it isn't detrimental to sales, then expect it to be commonplace in the next next gen, and gain support among other devices outside of gaming. If not, then we will probably never have to sit through this whole debate again...god willing at least.

Some part of me wants it to be true, just to see the results. But realistically I do find required always on to be very anti-consumer, and don't feel that gamers should be the test bed for something like this. I don't want people to be disappointed with a gaming purchase.
#2.3 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
sherimae2413  +   377d ago
specially in this country where i live in....
wi-fi is very scarce... if you want you can pay for 1000php every month with only less than 2mbps, imagine that
dangerousjo34   377d ago | Spam
kwyjibo  +   377d ago
I might not bother with a console that enforces always on DRM, but I thought people wouldn't pay a subscription for multiplayer gameplay that you can get for free everywhere else.

And yet, Xbox Live has probably been Microsoft's greatest success.
mistertwoturbo  +   377d ago
That's the thing about marketing. If they make it appear like a value, then people will pay for it.

I'm pretty sure the Microsoft Sales/Marketing Team is hard at work right now on how to sell an always-online console.
#3.1 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Monkeysmarts  +   377d ago
Well Microsoft has done a very very good job of making Xbox Live superior to the free alternative in PSN... and I say this as someone who currently only has a PS3. I had a 360 and XBL kills PSN. You get a much higher quality product in paying for XBL, what is essentially 3 or 4 bucks a month, than what is free with PSN (though I do think the value of PS Plus trumps XBL).

A lot of that success has to do with the fact that earlier in this generation the PS3 just could not compete with the games on 360. Xbox established the gaming base in the US and PS3 has just been playing catch up.

Sony looks like they have an altogether much better plan for PSN with the PS4 though so it will be interesting to see how the value stacks up with their tiered subscriptions vs XBL.
dangerousjo34   377d ago | Spam
gazgriff2k12  +   377d ago
i failed to mention why xbox live is so much better than psn (cross game chat lol) and went on a rant about success YES microsoft have been very successful in ripping people off.
Monkeysmarts  +   377d ago
Anyone who thinks cross game chat is the only thing XBL has over PSN has never used XBL. Love the disagrees... obviously people who have never used both systems to form an objective opinion. I love my PS3 but PSN was garbage for 4 years. Anyone trying to say otherwise is either clueless or a fanboy... probably both.

I like paying for PS Plus far more than XBL just on the free games they give to members. I have about $300 or more worth of games for the price of admission ($50) and the sales are great too.

Baseline PSN experience is not on the same level as XBL though... and that's fine. XBL gives Microsoft more money to make the network better. PSN may be free but it costs Sony money to operate.
#3.2.3 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Jaqen_Hghar  +   377d ago
A man doesn't believe MS would be brave enough to use always on and/or no used games. Then again they did INCREASE XBL fees even after PSN was up to snuff and didn't flinch when + started to give the consumer hundreds of dollars of awesome content and discounts for basically everything else. A man would think that since people still pay for XBL and not as many for PS+ that MS may actually be able to convince people this is somehow a good thing since their consumer seems pretty easy to fool.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   377d ago
Fanboy wishful thinking based on an unconfirmed rumor.
DragonKnight  +   377d ago
Wishful Thinking? Do you seriously believe that anyone actually WANTS this to be true? Regardless of brand loyalty, no one wants this. Why? Because if successful it would set a precedent that the other companies would use against us all. There isn't a single person that actually wants this, and to believe there is is foolish.
PopRocks359  +   377d ago
Actually, I think he was saying it as in "Sony fanboys wishing that so they have a reason to bash the console" sort of context.

I guess it could be that. I personally don't want to sling any mud until after I know for sure if Microsoft is implementing it.
NateCole  +   377d ago
The more backlash the better as it should help deter such thing from ever happening.
ger2396  +   377d ago
In the end it won't matter to the average consumer. Just like they don't mind paying to play online. Even though it's free on other platforms. Like it or not Microsoft knows what it is doing.
ZeekQuattro  +   377d ago
If RROD didn't kill them I doubt this will.
Npugz7  +   377d ago
Always online is the dumbest thing I have heard!! I know so many people that have Internet cutting in and out. I could only imagine how pist they would be if there game wouldn't run because of that! Not a smart idea Microsoft!!
StrawHatPatriot  +   377d ago
Talk about Third Console Curse. THe company always gets arrogant of the success of their previous two consoles, and pukes on the third one.

Sega Saturn
Nintendo 64
Sony PlayStation 3
Now, the XBotch
maniacmayhem  +   377d ago
Very interesting observation
GABRIEL1030  +   377d ago
Always On DRM is a bad publicity that has already sunk the Xbox 720 =(
GABRIEL1030  +   377d ago
Always On DRM bad publicity has already sunk Xbox =(
ssbains  +   377d ago
If RROD did not kill them, will Always On t kill them, will the turd called Windows 8 kill them !! This will be the tipping point and the decline of Microsoft... Since the XBOX division has not shown profit for two generations, the third maybe the nail in the coffin
profgerbik  +   377d ago
People are dumb asses, even when Microsoft shoves a big stick up their asses, they will probably still run out and buy that stupid thing.

Just like they continue to pay for XBL like morons. It is funny when people wonder why practically every company in the world just takes advantage of us all.

People just make it too easy. They never stand up for shit let alone are even able to see what they should be standing up for.. Hopefully people wake the fuck up this time around.
#13 (Edited 377d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Supermax  +   377d ago
Buy both consoles! Enjoy
MNGamer-N  +   377d ago
I just can't see how people would be interested in losing their gaming "rights". This is about more than always on internet or not. This is about freedom, dammit! The consumers' only power is to show them with your wallets, and PS4 is looking mighty desirable right now.

Interview: Design Producer Stephan Frost on What Makes Wildstar a Unique and Fun MMO

1m ago - DualShockers' Tony Polanco writes: "While at this year’s PAX East I got the chance to spend ti... | PC

Max Level | PAX East 2014: Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition Hands On

3m ago - Max Level: During my second day at PAX, I was able to score some hands on time with Diablo 3: Ult... | PS4

DualShockers ShockCast Ep. 170 – “Tales From Pax East 2014″

14m ago - DualShockers' Tony Polanco writes: "This week’s episode is almost exclusively dedicated to our... | PC

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars Review – Baby Mama Drama | FRONTBURNR

26m ago - FRONTBURNR: With my 31 years on this planet, I’ve played a ton of different RPG games. It always... | PS Vita

Start Making Games for the PS4

Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) Crafting – Overview of Crafting Professions

29m ago - A full overview of each of the crafting professions found in The Elder Scrolls Online. This artic... | PC