Submitted by Queasy 567d ago | opinion piece

Sources conflict over Xbox 720 online requirement to start games

XMNR: A new report stating that the Xbox 720 (Durango) will require an internet connection to start games hit Thursday according to anonymous sources. However, gaming website Kotaku buried conflicting anonymous sources stating that there is no such requirement in the middle of its lengthy article. (Xbox One)

Alternative Sources
MariaHelFutura  +   567d ago | Well said
We'll find out soon enough. But, I think everyone can agree this would be a bad move.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   567d ago
I agree it is a bad move. And MS needs to speak on these rumors really soon.
vet_medic  +   567d ago
I get the feeling it's all a hoax, and after next XBox is announced everyone will be like "oh, it's not that bad after all".
BlindGuardian  +   567d ago
what's with all the comments here that say that we have to wait for MS official word?

rumors about the PS4 turned out to be almost 100% accurate, Eurogamer even mentioned that some devs were told by Sony that they might go with 8gb of ram on the final build and not the 4 on the dev kits

this is a rumor reported by multiple websites for months, MS might change their plan at the last moment and remove it, but now you can pretty certain that it's true
crzyjackbauer  +   567d ago
i really dont see what the big deal is really
unless you are broke and live in the ghetto
everyone has a basic internet/wifi connection
cmon aveything is online these days
whats a laptop without wifi?
whats a smartphone without wifi?
just an expensive paper weight

i get home
boom iphone is connected
i turn on my laptop
boom its connected
turn on xbox/ps3
boom ITS CONNECTED!!!

yeah we all play single player games and stuff
but i dont disconnect my xbox just because im not playing online
i want be online so i can see if my friends go online, if i get messages or game invites

this argument would be very valid at the beginning of this past x360/ps3 generation
but the way things are moving everyone has a steady online connection
how about we talk about the PS4 not playing ps3 games???????
that's more important to me!!
Saigon  +   567d ago
@crzyjackbauer

granted you are right, but sad to say some people do not have that luxury. I had to learn that the hardway in a post about the same topic a few months ago and it made me think. When I was in college, I was in the hills, literally. At the time I worked for Radio Shack and I was shocked to find out some people had issue getting basic cell phone services. I also found out that many individuals had satellite tvs because the cable company couldn't reach them. Now if this is the case, I can imagine there are several other individuals out there experiencing similar situations. I have to admit, I live near a major city so most of my connects are 30/15 at a high end, on standard it is like 20/10 for most people. Right now the company I am with is doing promotion to get high end user to do 50/30 to be normal speeds but there max for that company is over 100/65 and it could be higher if i am not mistaken.

I guess my point is that some people just can't get the standard speed of 20/10 in certain areas of the US if not at all. Besides Japan, who has ridiculous upload and download speeds, can you imagine how other countries are?
#1.1.4 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
Kurt Russell  +   567d ago
@crzyjackbauer
It's not very good if you move house and have to wait over a month for an internet connection to be set up like what happens in the UK. I'm sure it's convenient for you, but it isn't for all of us.

I think the poo sandwich that was Sim City should have taught you better.
#1.1.5 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
syphon32  +   567d ago
The very worst, i hope they aren't that stupid.
Skips  +   567d ago
Dude, if they can get away with charging you for HALF of a game YOU'VE ALREADY PAYED FOR and charging you for SERVICES YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR!

THINGS THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO ACCESS FOR FREE ON PRACTICALLY EVERY OTHER CONSOLE AND PC!!!

Then I don't see this as something Microsoft wouldn't do. lol
sengoku  +   567d ago
it's easy the whole thing is so interwoven with the internet ( for online play, apps, games, movies, music skype and other services)

you would probably only get like 50% of the features without a connection.

so they think they might as well, get DRM on the cheap with always online seen as most people would be connected anyway to get the 100% of whats on offer.
#1.3 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Tultras  +   567d ago
I think for someone buying a console to play games, it would be horrible to implement a always online system, my Internet is rarely stable.

While the next Xbox may try to mould itself into an entertainment system, majority of people buy consoles for the GAMES.
#1.3.1 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(1) | Report
thechosenone  +   567d ago
Kotaku track record on rumors are featured on their site, examiner sources have predicted how many next-gen rumors exactly? I thought so.
#1.4 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TheSurg  +   566d ago
Probably competitors made the rumor to burry MS. Why MS is not defending itself? Because MS never announced that it even works on a new console. Simple as that.
Cocozero  +   567d ago
When MS shows all and the rumours are debunked it will just make the 720 look even better since everyone will have such low expectations.
MariaHelFutura  +   567d ago
When this many rumors are floating some are bound to be true. Like w/ every other console around its unveiling. Are all of them true, probably not. But some are, which ones is the question.
syphon32  +   567d ago
if it's the one with the always live internet connection. I might not get it.
Ezz2013  +   567d ago | Intelligent
"since everyone will have such low expectations."
so you agree that everyone every where have low expectations for the next xbox
since it getting nothing but bad news/rumors

but
yet you are saying every one outside N4G want nextxbox more than ps4 ?!

0_o
#2.2 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
GalacticEmpire  +   567d ago
You've got him there, fanboy hypocrisy at work.
SAE  +   567d ago
Let's look at this without fanboy fighting. No one who like playing games wish the xbox to fail. I wish if it come up with games like alan wake and gears of war 1 again, which are in pc now so it's stupid to be excited about the next xbox because the history show more negative then positive in xbox.

So i am just waiting. No day one even if they impress me. 2 years from release date then i will decide if it worth supporting or not. Sony learned from their mistakes which i didn't care because i trust them so why not wait and see if microsoft will do the same or not. We shouldn't fight..
Why o why  +   567d ago
Cocozero

If MS are that sneaky they would truly be up there as marketing geniuses. Some Don Drapper like scheme. The 360 fans, yourself included, would be extremely happy BUT if these rumours hadn't been around you may have been just happy. Like a child and thinking they're not getting a present then receiving one as opposed to a child already knowing ones coming then receiving it. Even if the gifts are identical the one not expecting would usually appreciate theirs more.

@Ezz2013.....SNAP
#2.3 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
ArronC07  +   567d ago
When magazines like EDGE report on this it's kind of 99% certain. EDGE have very close industry contacts and is very well respected in the industry.

Now things could change last minute but at this stage it seems that the plans are pretty much in the direction of always on.
#2.4 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Angainor7  +   567d ago
Sucks if true
YodaCracker  +   567d ago
The rumors never end!
ZodTheRipper  +   567d ago
It's a 50% chance to guess right and it generates thousands of klicks - klicks are basically money for websites, and we all like money ...so I guess no.
GraveLord  +   567d ago
THERE ARE NO SOURCES DENYING THE RUMOR.

If anything, the DRM is a system-level feature that Microsoft hasn't even told developers about.
testerg35  +   567d ago
"THERE ARE NO SOURCES DENYING THE RUMOR."

Seriously??? That's how you think??
TheSauce  +   567d ago
@GraveLord

"In January, the hacker SuperDaE began sharing official development documents for the next-gen PlayStation and Xbox. Many of the dozens of pages of the Xbox/Durango documentation were full of programming code but the parts in plain English--the parts that, honestly, we could understand--said nothing about an online requirement. They were, however, crystal clear about the new system needing the new Kinect to operate: "Every Durango console ships with a Kinect sensor. A Kinect sensor must be attached and configured for the console to function."
#5.1.1 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
Dlacy13g  +   567d ago
Per Kotaku's own article: "Some sources told us that they believed that the Durango development kit required an online connection so that Microsoft could keep tabs on them and update them with new, ever-evolving firmware. Others weren't sure."
Servbot41  +   567d ago
If it was just for updating the development kit, I doubt the system would popup a network troubleshooter. To do so seems would be stodgy for a development kit.
aviator189  +   567d ago
Really?
Give the kotaku article one more careful read and you'll find yourself corrected.
Rusty515  +   567d ago
Meh. I'm just gonna start avoiding these rumors for now on. It's pretty pointless if it's not confirmed. I'll just wait for Microsoft's word.
JeffGUNZ  +   567d ago
How do you have 3 bubbles?! Oh, I know, you're not bashing the nextbox solely off rumors. Bubbles for you good sir.
PSN-JeRzYzFyNeSt  +   567d ago
all i have to say is im gong for the games this next gen... and so far Sony has them..

microsoft has been dry for a while, halo and Gears dont count.. same shit all the time.

i will be keeping y 360 for the apps they have on them buti think ill be buying a PS4 as of right now
MariaHelFutura  +   567d ago
Sony owns so many amazing studios, you really can't go wrong w/ their platform. Along w/ not being afraid to try new things is why they're my favorite.
PSN-JeRzYzFyNeSt  +   567d ago
ive had ps3 but i sold it because most of my friends had a 360, what i like about the 360 is the ability to cross game chat and make a group chat i hope the PS4 has this
MariaHelFutura  +   567d ago
Yeah, I own all of the current gen consoles. Xgamechat was never important to me, but the PS4 will most likely have it. With all of the social features of the platform it would make sense to have it now more than ever.
PopRocks359  +   567d ago
It doesn't seem like something any manufacturer would do unless they were sure their competition would do it as well, and as far as I know Sony has no intention to do that with the PS4.

I guess we'll soon see. I look forward to seeing a confirmation of some kind so we can put this rumor to rest.
thebudgetgamer  +   567d ago
The only reason this rumor holds weight for me is because they already did it with Indi games.
#9 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Geovanny  +   567d ago
What's the point of needing internet connection?
Godmars290  +   567d ago
Anti-piracy. Makes putting out an incomplete game then trying to fix it with patches more of a standard practice than it already currently is.

Nothing actually good for console owners in other words.
#10.1 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Kingthrash360  +   567d ago
No uesd games..my guess
Godmars290  +   567d ago
No one's calling Kotaku on their BS? That once again they've gone for sensationalism over their general random articles?
Kingthrash360  +   567d ago
No need to call um on it....we all know how they are.
thebudgetgamer  +   567d ago
Just the word Kotaku is all you need to know that it's bs.
Angainor7  +   567d ago
Man i mean seriously, imagine you that you are playing a game on insane to gain an achievement, you almost got it and suddenly, troubleshooter on the go... man i will smash many pads and 720's..
Jek_Porkins  +   567d ago
Basically there has been every kind of rumor, I don't really believe any of them and I wish others wouldn't either, wait and see what is fact. We've heard so many conflicting things that it'd be like Microsoft doesn't even want to compete next generation, I mean seriously.

The Xbox 720-
Always online
Kinect spies on you
No used games
Kinect always on

I mean does anyone here, even if you hate Microsoft, think that they are stupid when it comes to selling a product? I just don't fathom a world where they'd be that idiotic.

As a consumer the main things that I want in the next Xbox are the ability to play used games and no DRM, I still hold out hope for backwards compatibility, but I am willing to concede that for the other two.
ion666  +   567d ago
Kinect was always on in the movie paranormal activity.lmfao!
Jek_Porkins  +   567d ago
I have never seen those movies.....
Godmars290  +   567d ago
It would take nothing away from MS's plans to refute these rumors as they fester and threaten to linger post console launch. In fact such a statement would only strengthen their position.

MS PR shill's quote: "We have no plans on limiting the Xbox experience by blocking used games or requiring a constant online connection. We strive only to make our console the only console consumers will consider and have several exciting announcement towards that goal come the latest E3."

That or something similar is all they have to say right now, and dozens of articles will pop up to echo and re-enforce that sentiment.

Sony did it immediately after their conference - actually they said they were leaving it up to 3rd parties meaning they've effectively side-stepped the issue so that slaps a big wait and see/buy their system on them - so no one even question them anymore about it.

Though of course they damn well should be!
#13.2 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Jek_Porkins  +   567d ago
Sony didn't say anything last year when the same rumors plagued them, Microsoft has plenty of time to show what they have, something like DRM could probably be removed effortlessly if need be.
Hicken  +   567d ago
Of course nobody- with good sense- SERIOUSLY believes Microsoft will implement all these things. But it IS worrisome that these rumors persist.

It may not be their policy to respond to rumors, but I'd rather they made an exception for this.
KwietStorm  +   567d ago
I wish Microsoft would just open up already.
ion666  +   567d ago
If ya got money to buy an xbox.Ya got money to blow on the interwebs.Damn poor people. :)
Sarobi  +   567d ago
Even if this isn't true, we're still heading down a path where DRM is going to be mandatory for all games.
ArchieBunker   567d ago | Spam
dangerousjo34   567d ago | Spam
HG_69   567d ago | Spam
strickers  +   567d ago
I do not believe this at all . It's bollocks. MS do weird things sometimes , but commercial suicide? No way.
#20 (Edited 567d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
dangerousjo34   567d ago | Spam
whoyouwit04  +   567d ago
I agree it's a bad move, but when you think about it you are always connected to internet any ways when you turn on your xbox. I think it's the idea of you being forced to be connected weather you want to or not is what what pissing every one off. And one more thing, what app on any console works without an internet connection? I think the PS3 has one the one with the pictures if I'm not mistaken, but that,s about it.
CarleyYoung   567d ago | Spam
JeffGUNZ  +   567d ago
Are we still on this? "An Anonymous source" You, me, my wife, the dog, the neighborhood cat can all be anonymous sources. I am so tired of these rumors. It's getting so old. Unless it is out of MS mouth or a reliable big market name, then I am never going to believe this crap. Give me a break and even all the Sony diehards, are we all not getting tired of the SAME articles day after day?!
BitbyDeath  +   567d ago
I think we should just wait and see.
It might look like a bad move on paper but if they show something that could not be done without it, it could actually blow everyone away. (Can't think of any examples but who knows)
AO1JMM  +   567d ago
Duh! They are rumors
tweiupodsif   567d ago | Spam
strigoi814  +   567d ago
MS should speak out now or forever hold your silence....not giving anything as a sign of life would be a bad idea when E3 comes, indi developers are already leaning on the PS4 hype and even Epic are saying good words for ps4..dont let this happen MS you just need to give Sony and nintendo some good competition. This competition is good for the gaming industry
Raptura  +   566d ago
Do you think Microsoft Would actually go through with this? They've got to have people working for them that see these stories posted here, IGN, reddit and other sites. Every site I go to that posts stories related to always online has a comments section that's in an uproar about this. I don't think Microsoft would throw themselves under the bus like that.

See What’s Inside Dead or Alive 5: Last Round’s Ultimate Pack Edition

7m ago - Along with Dead or Alive 5 Last Round you’ll get a life-size character tapestry, four mini figure... | Xbox 360

Nano Assault NEO-X on PS4, Trailer Released

12m ago - The team has been a staunch Nintendo supporter since the Game Boy Color era. | PS4

Square Enix Releases Final Fantasy XV Trailer Music

13m ago - Fans of the background music playing throughout the latest trailer for Final Fantasy XV rejoice. | Xbox 360

WWE 2K15: Hulkamania Edition Pre-Order Now Live on Amazon

13m ago - Techtorial: WWE 2K15: Hulkamania Edition is now available for pre-order in Amazon for $99.99. | PS4

Getting started in Archeage

Now - Quick overview from Curse on everything you need to get going in Archeage. | Promoted post

Battle Chef Brigade Interview: Cooking Things Up on Kickstarter

13m ago - Technology Tell writes, "There are four days left before the Battle Chef Brigade Kickstarter ends... | PC