Submitted by JarqueMcLark 919d ago | article

The Best-Selling Atari 2600 Games of All-Time

Welcome to a new feature series on VGChartz where we aim to explore major video game platforms, past and present, and bring you the most successful games on each. Without further ado, we present the godfather of modern video game consoles and the driving force in the first video game boom (and crash) - the Atari 2600. (Industry, Retro)

JarqueMcLark  +   919d ago
1. Pac-Man
2. Pitfall
3. Asteroids
4. Missile Command
5. Space Invaders
guitarded77  +   919d ago
DAMN SON... 7.81 million for Pac-Man.
Tultras  +   918d ago
that's it??
But it always seemed to me that everyone and their grandmas played that game.
guitarded77  +   918d ago
@ Tultras

Yeah, in arcades and on other platforms, but that's a huge number for just the 2600. That's probably a huge portion of the install base of the system itself.
darthv72  +   918d ago
Just last week
i had a shipment of about 30 2600 games sent to me from a guy on ebay. All in good shape and played perfectly.

I liked pitfall and pacman and empire strikes back but there were so many obscure ones that just didnt get the respect they deserved. And others that were plain rubbish.

2600...the legend will never die.
Robotronfiend  +   918d ago
Yeah and Atari Pac-Man was a terrible port too. It barely looked like the arcade, the ratios were off and color was well... weird.
DK286K   918d ago | Spam
Philoctetes  +   918d ago
I owned both Pac-Man and ET. I think that's why I'm so jaded and cynical as an adult.
Horny  +   918d ago
This system nearly killed home consoles and video gaming in general. I don't care how many fond nostalgic memories someone has the system had few good games with most being completely trash.
Psn800  +   918d ago
Combat , Quebert , Space Invaders .
#1.3 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
finbars75  +   918d ago
3.Crystal Castles
#1.4 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Gamer-40  +   919d ago
My favorite games on Atari 2600 Jr.

2.,Cosmic Ark
4.,Donkey Kong
Fishermenofwar  +   919d ago
Cosmic Ark was epic...With that silver cartridge....LOL
Gamer-40  +   919d ago
Black plastic with that silver vignette.
Old days..
Cam977  +   919d ago
Hahaha... You'll only truly get that joke if you know the story behind it.
allegretto2500  +   919d ago
I know the e.t. story. at the time the average price for a new Atari game was $25. e.t. was priced at a minimum of $40. in 1980's dollars that was like charging $70-$80. the game was BAD. I swear, 6 months later I saw it in the bargain bin at my local department store for 99 cents!!!
afterwards it was one of the games buried in a cement covered landfill.
allegretto2500  +   919d ago
it only sold that many because people bought it on the name alone. at the time there was no internet (at least none that the general public could use) to read game reviews and player opinions. once word did get around in gaming magazines sales dropped like a stone. they had made a ton more cartridges than usual for e.t. expected huge sales which didn't happen. for various reasons it was one of the first home entertainment products of the era to be buried in an unmarked cement covered pit.
Robotronfiend  +   918d ago
But you could totally get that flower and then crane your neck and float into the air... Oh so bad. So, so bad.

I loved:
Laser Blast
Plaque Attack
allegretto2500  +   918d ago
this link contains the story.

lex-1020  +   918d ago
What's really interesting when reading this story is that despite the negative reviews of the game, negative tones, and negative reception, some of these "professionals" still tried to defend it even after everyone said it was terrible.
Fishermenofwar  +   918d ago
You mean the system seller??

greenmeanie  +   918d ago
I can't believe E.T. was the 8th best selling game! It is pretty much considered by the gaming community to be the worst game ever made! Haha!

By the way, I am learning more and more that some people on this site are just pricks, how do you get a disagree for stating a factual statement? It is true afterall, the word "E.T." is a joke in the gaming community.
greenmeanie  +   917d ago
How do people disagree with this?! If you look up E.T. the game on wikipedia it literally says that it is considered to be one of the worst games ever made! People on this site are so annoying and immature and need to grow up! Seriously. There is like people who troll through this site disagreeing on everything that everyone says. I know it!
Perjoss  +   919d ago
The 2600 was my first console, can't believe its been 35 years since I started gaming...

guitarded77  +   919d ago
Yeah, I still got mine stored away in the shed. Remember having to take a screwdriver to the TV because the clamps slipped out? Good times. I learned everything I need to know about wiring an entertainment center from hooking up consoles.
finbars75  +   918d ago
Lol those cheap dam clips that bent and broke with ease if not done careful enough.Silly t.vs back then with those dam screws.Got to love the joystick with that nice cheap plastic pole covered in rubber that broke so easily.What about the old vic20.Typing in what direction you wanted to go in and typing sword to draw it out.lol. or even the pong that plugged into your tv before the atari and the start of the vic20 era with the floppy discs.Man I feel old and but still young at heart.Im glad I got to experience every generation to date.
#4.1.1 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
thebudgetgamer  +   918d ago
Mines too. It was 1987, I love finding others as old as me. Back in the day when you needed a butterknife in order to connect you console to your television.
#4.2 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
WUTCHUGUNNADO  +   918d ago
Tell me more of this butter knife tactic...
thebudgetgamer  +   918d ago
This is a version of a 2600 television adapter. Note the forks.

I can't find a picture but on the back of oldy time television there were screws in the back of it and you stick the forks under them and screwed them into place.
ZBlacktt  +   918d ago
I still own it and the Intellivision when it first came out as well. Still have my NES from back then too. Along with many others that came afterwards.
Tultras  +   918d ago
Damn, I'm Half your age. O.o

I started with the First mainstream sega console, but I believe I have played The Atari 2600
fracturedrich  +   919d ago
my top 5 1 pitfall 2.keystone cops 3.space invaders 4.pac man 5.krull
mayberry  +   919d ago
I loved playing 'HERO', 2600's best
Fishermenofwar  +   918d ago
It was a mini Heli on your back right?? Or was it a jet pack?

Remember the laser walls and ish...LMAO!!!
mayberry  +   918d ago
Thats right! He Had A Heli-pack And A laser Gun, best 2600 Game
rataranian  +   918d ago
That was one of the greatest games ever.
mayberry  +   918d ago
I'm glad Some Remember This Gem!
sorceror171  +   919d ago
Adventure was my favorite. And it even contained the first Easter Egg, FTW!
twosolitudes  +   918d ago
I credit Adventure with being the open-world game that started my love for the format.
Magnus  +   918d ago
ET is on that list wow well I guess it came out when the movie came out. The game was stupid but it is a game. I still love Pitfall, Frogger and Q-bert.
thebudgetgamer  +   918d ago
No on metions Combat, the birth of multi-player wars.
#9 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DlocDaBudSmoka  +   918d ago
combat was in the list. number 18 with 1.25mill.
#9.1 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jelydonut  +   918d ago
Got mine at home..

Would say..

Keystone Kapers
Yars Revenge
hmm.. after the first couple it gets hard to pick..
finbars75  +   918d ago
Good choice in games.Loved frostbite and yars revenge alot.But dont forget about good old JOUST.
fracturedrich  +   918d ago
Thats the name i rememberd it as keystone cops,what a game that was,i liked yars revenge also.
Chapulin  +   918d ago
Jungle Hunt
Relientk77  +   918d ago
Atari 2600 one of the best game systems ever

just bought some games for it yesterday at a local game store
tommygunzII  +   918d ago
My first console at the age of 4 or 5. Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Yars Revenge, and Combat come to mind.

Be cool if my PS3 had some wood grain in it too.

Edit: It came out in 77, I got mine in 81', I'm old but not that old :)
#13 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
WUTCHUGUNNADO  +   918d ago
I was -10 when that console came out.
#14 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
IQUITN4G  +   918d ago
The subject of the 2600 and some of it's games is the where plenty of ignorance exists. ET being one example of course

Most people don't actually have their own opinion on this subject anyway but think they do, based on what they hear constantly from articles or from people that never really played some of these games more than 5 minutes- they themselves unlikely having played these games for long or if at all. People always have an opinion but it's ill informed half the time as evidence by some of the people here
#15 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
titans9999  +   918d ago
I still have my burnt out fat Atari 2600, then I bought the slim, smaller model, still works. Then I realized you can get the entire 2600 collection on roms. Now I play them all on my laptop!
ziggurcat  +   918d ago
KrimsonKody  +   918d ago
No Stampede?
tweiupodsif   918d ago | Spam
optimus  +   918d ago
I think their list is flawed... I don't remember commando, double dragon, and kung-fu master ever being on the 2600, and looking at the dates (late 80's) i'd say those are indeed nes games since the 2600 was pretty much dead by then... And since we're on the subject of old school gaming, i started on the pong home console (before the 2600). ;p
#20 (Edited 918d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Love2Hate  +   918d ago
What's an Atari?
glennco  +   918d ago
I had an Intellivision, bit different but still years ahead of the 2600, both in graphics and sound, and was actually a 16-bit console. This was until Coleco came on the scene and brought arcade graphics, gameplay and more importantly real arcade games to the lounge room. The 2600 controller is still a classic though and I have fond memories of playing Atari games at various mates/family's houses.

The Original Console WarTM

NBA 2K16 Mega Guide: Unlimited Money Cheat, Moves, Points And More

28m ago - NBA 2K16 is really a hell of a game, but also a tough one to get a handle on- a lot of this has t... | PC

Dragon Quest Heroes Infographic Shows Evolution of Series’ Most Iconic Monsters

28m ago - EB: Dragon Quest Heroes is set to launch on October 13, 2015 for the PS4, so Square Enix released... | PS4

Top 5 Movies To See This Month

Now - The month of September has Johnny Depp portraying an enraged criminal, a group of climbers trying to make it home safely, and the return of the sur... | Promoted post

Psytec Games Hopeful for Crystal Rift 2 with Multiplayer Support

29m ago - VRFocus reports on Psytec Games, the developer of Crystal Rift, stating that it hopes to work on... | PC

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex - Retro Reflections

32m ago - Chalgyr's Game Room writes: “Crash Bandicoot” was a famous PlayStation platform game which spa... | PS2

Dave & Buster's Receives First Luigi's Mansion Arcade Cabinet

32m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Nintendo is teaming up with Capcom to bring another arcade game to every grown up... | Arcade