Submitted by Karooo 509d ago | news

Xbox 720 Always Online – ‘Giving constraints to the gamers is a bad idea’ – Fuel Overdose dev

"Skandar Djerbi, executive producer of I-Friqiya–the studio that developed the PSN game Fuel Overdose–had a lot of interesting things to say to us about the the next gen Xbox and how an always online online requirement is akin to to giving constraints to gamers." (Tag Invalid, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

aviator189  +   509d ago
Even with all of these rumors regarding the 720, I firmly believe that this "always online" requirement will not come to pass.
I honestly don't think microsoft would be so foolish to attempt something like it.
#1 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(25) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   509d ago
What other company has tried this?

Making a game always online is one thing. Has proven issues because of lack of servers at launch. This would be something else. Something potentially worse.

Edit:
Again, not talking about a single game but an entire system. If something happens and you lose online for whatever reason, have no or a poor level of access, the entire console at best is going to be crippled. Offer limited or demo level access to games since that seems to already be the case with certain PSN/XBL games.
#1.1 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
NastyLeftHook0  +   509d ago
i know assassins creed games (pc) some had to always be online so i can see it as being possible. but then again unisoft dont make consoles.

but

i will take these developers word over people on n4g any day of the week.
#1.1.1 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(10) | Report
thebudgetgamer  +   508d ago
Every Indi game requires you to be online to play.
lastofgen  +   509d ago
yeah, I have to agree.
such a move would have disastrous effects.
ms is business competent so I assume they'd have to get real stupid to do something like this.
Freedomland  +   508d ago
They are not blind, they are running billions of dollar company.
r1sh12  +   509d ago
@aviator189 i completely agree, These are all stupid rumours. What if someone is switching internet provider and they lose 6 hours of internet connectivity but want to play a game and cant will only result in lawsuit especially in the states.

This just will not happen, these are just retarded rumours.
KrisButtar  +   509d ago
"He also mentioned that online infrastructure hasn’t developed yet, and sometimes these problems are even prevalent in the countries he is based in.

“Also keep in mind that there are gamers all over the world and in some countries you can still face internet issues.”

that's why I don't believe this rumor
Ashlen  +   509d ago
Well, as an example Windows 8 was in beta for a year and in the time the number one request was to bring back the start bar and make Windows 8 function like all the old versions. Did they listen? No.

Microsoft does not give customers the products they want. They sell them the products they want them to have.
#1.5 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
lastofgen  +   509d ago
I still fail to understand so many people can't use the start screen.
it's the same basic thing....and you've got more space to put stuff on there.
it's just like a full-screen start menu... i mean, what's the problem in seeing that??
AlphaTauri  +   508d ago
Yeah not sure what to expect with all the rumors flying. I don't buy used games, but I do have multiple 360's in my home with Live accounts for my little boys and HOPE very much than M$ doesn't hinder or punish me by not allowing me to play my game in different rooms on different accounts. That would be sad indeed - shouldn't have to buy a a game for each account or system when they all reside in my home owned by me.
rainslacker  +   508d ago
Anyone that knows me on here will say I'm a Sony boy, but even I have to admit that it's unlikely they would go this route. If it is always online, then it's likely to do more with their media services, and keeping it online to make everything more streamlined for the end user. I find this much more likely since they will likely be targeting the currently untapped casual audience, and if rumors are true, those looking for a all-in-one media device.

I highly doubt this would be used for any sort of DRM on the gaming side of things. If it is, I truly hope people don't make excuses for it like they have with the on-line passes of this gen. Something like this puts a definite end of life date onto the machine, and as a collector, that would just be a sad sad day.
#1.7 (Edited 508d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Nafon  +   508d ago
I just don't understand people. If you are paranoid about microsoft spying on you or you want to wait to download really long updates until you actually want to play your xbox, UNPLUG IT! Microsoft can't disable your xbox if it isn't always online.
elmaton98  +   508d ago
Yeah it will be a real pain and besides the 360 has it.but it doesnt apply to all the games but a.few I guess ( bought metal slug 3 a couple years ago and unless you have live you cant play the full game)
TheSurg  +   508d ago
Whoever thinks that this "always online" prevents you from playing games in offline mode is a retard.
It's simply a feature that checks games for updates etc WHILE coNSOLE IS IN SLEEP MODE.
NOWHERE it says that you aren't able to play games offline. Many people need to learn to read with understanding.
JeffGUNZ  +   508d ago
I am fairly certain the extent of this "always on" isn't what these piss poor "journalists" have spun for us. If anything, I see it as if you have it connected to internet, the system, while always on with a low power mode, will also be connected where it can download system updates, game updates which are installed to the HD, etc, while the use is not actually using the console. Wait, that's the logical thought and we can't have that here.
TrevorPhillips  +   509d ago
Will not happen. Microsoft is a big company and aren't going to pull of such idiotic move.
Godmars290  +   509d ago
Its because MS is such a big company, might be doing a deal with cable companies to offer their next system as a cable box, is just why they might do it.
Oh_Yeah  +   509d ago
Microsoft should get XBMC up on the 720, if they allow it to run and run good that would totally justify a live fee.. They could shut the cable companies, net flix and all them down if they have that app brought into the mainsteam light.
#2.1.1 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Godmars290  +   509d ago
@Oh_Yeah
XBMC is open source and doesn't operate business wise the same as MS. MS has to get permission from cable companies to show their content on the Xbox otherwise MS would get sued out of business.

Still its that MS may very well make Xbox3's focus services and paid subscriptions why they'd exclude gamers who don't have internet access. If they get two, or more, gold XBL accounts in exchange for the one non-paying silver account gamer that's only to their benefit.
edonus  +   509d ago
That logic is very thin.... I'm talking one thread of spider web thin. But at least it is of this world and not complete fallacy.

Trading one set of customers for another when you could focus on keeping them both. Unlikely but if you think MS entire goal is to get subscribers the formula works.

I dont really see that being MS focus though.
Morgue  +   509d ago
Funny. I posted a sarcastic comment about them partnering with Comcast a few days ago and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens or they start their own T.V. service.
Oh_Yeah  +   508d ago
It's legal though.. You have to install plugins to get that content, it's not hosted on the program... I'm pretty sure they could make way with it.
Godmars290  +   508d ago
@edonus
If its thin you're likely looking at it wrong.

Say out of 100 Xbox owners 60 are online. By requiring online and doing the cable deal they pick up another 60. They lost 40 but now have 120 total users.

Further MS wouldn't see it as trading but only gaining. Possibly even getting some of those "lost" users to go online.
Nafon  +   508d ago
@Oh_Yeah
You are missing one of the biggest points of XBMC there... (Live TV needs those cable companies)
rainslacker  +   508d ago
MS has a long history of making "idiotic" moves. Actually they aren't really idiotic. They come about due to MS wanting to achieve a goal, and from their point of view, whatever move they make is done in the interest of furthering their own agenda. There may be a perfectly valid reason for being always online in their minds. It's a risk, but one that could pay off if it's successful, or cause the system to be a complete flop. It's still too soon to tell.

It's also worth pointing out that many companies work in this way, not just MS.
stage88  +   509d ago
The way MS are going I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled this crap.
GalacticEmpire  +   509d ago
I wonder if this has been confirmed to developers behind closed doors?

Seems like a lot of studios are speaking out against it and rightly so, it's a douchey move.
SDF Repellent  +   509d ago
Ain't happening folks. Remember when the x360 was first released, it has a arcade SKU w/o a harddrive that proved to be quit popular with people that just want to game and don't have a need for internet connection to download things. MS knows that those customers still is a large part of their 80 millions unit sold and it will be foolish for them to mandate internet connection to play for the nextbox if they want repeat buyers. Marketing 101.
#5 (Edited 509d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
aviator189  +   508d ago
I really would like to know why people are disagreeing with you.
It's a solid and rational argument, imo.
#5.1 (Edited 508d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Seafort  +   509d ago
MS are already being foolish and sticking with Kinect 2.0 and the casual market. This will end in tears for MS and I can't wait for the fallout. It's about time a big company was brought down to earth from sheer arrogance :)

We are heading for a video games crash it's only a matter of time now.
Belking  +   509d ago
You sound ridiculous. Wait until the thing is announced before you jump on the "negative journalism bandwagon". Do you think they weren't gonna make a kinect 2? And don't talk about arrogance because we all know who was better known for that and have been brought back to reality.
imsocool1234  +   509d ago
I think this is another way of Microsoft to keep the piracy of their Windows OS and their properties under control, by spying on us to see if we're comitting theft
creized1  +   509d ago
okey so wait a minute.
If this is true that means if I am playing a single player boss battle and my connection goes off, I cant carry on playing?

MICROSOFT ARE YOU NUTTTSSS??!!!
lastofgen  +   508d ago
it's a rumor....
creized1  +   508d ago
No Sh!T,
I said "IF this is true"
GABRIEL1030  +   509d ago
Thats false Microsoft is very smart and the new Xbox doesn't block the second hand games and neither will require permanent internet conection. Maybe the machine would require mandatorily updates every month for fight the piracy.
ichimaru  +   509d ago
why are this still a discussion? we all know its bad if it happens and we've already made up our minds on whether or not we believe it
jelydonut  +   509d ago
So if MS wants to make it a requirement to always be online for all games, does that mean that when you buy a 720 you won't be able to play anything on it till you fork out more for MS online?
josephayal  +   509d ago
i will not be buying one if that is the case, i like to bring games over to buddies house, not sit on the internet all the time
mania9   508d ago | Spam
DivineAssault  +   508d ago
Its a very bad idea.. Everything MS has done over the last few years has been a bad idea imo.. It seems as if theyre getting cocky like sony was.. We will see what happens but if MS goes the "Always online" route, they will surely lose the nx gen war
ALLWRONG  +   508d ago
more rumors based on nothing
ATi_Elite  +   508d ago
The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
now to all those who laughed and complained when i said 24/7 Internet connection and DRM is NO big deal in 2013 I say

SHUT UP, I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Looks like Microsoft feels the same way with the X720 being connected to the Internet 24/7/365

being connected to the Internet 24/7/365 is the way of the world today. Some of you need to join the 21st Century like the rest of us.
IRetrouk  +   508d ago
Not everybody can have a 24/7 conection, im lucky enough to be in an area that offers fantastic fibre obtic options but not everyone is in the same boat.
ATi_Elite  +   508d ago
True Not everyone can have 24/7 Internet and therefore MS is NOT marketing to those people.

MS has done the research i'm sure of and feel that they can turn a fat profit only marketing to those of us with good 24/7/365 internet.

if u live way out in the wilderness some where then most likely your gonna spend more time riding a ATV than playing video games so MS is not marketing towards you.
#16.1.1 (Edited 508d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report
Patrick  +   508d ago
Dats right, us country folks aint got no need for dat dare gamin contraption and enter net. We's two busy ridin our fur wheelers and shootin at critters sos our women folk kin fix us up a mess of vittles.
lol....really? If you live in the country you cant play video games or have fast internet? Ha ha ha, time to move out of your moms basement and see the world. Times have changed... Lol Lived in the country my whole life and started gaming with the Atari 2600 when it came out and never stopped. Currently own 9 different consoles and a 2k pc gaming rig. Way to stereotype.
#16.1.2 (Edited 508d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
IRetrouk  +   508d ago
@ patrick funny bub.

@ ati if micrrosoft makes an online only console, it will be a mistake, i dont think they would do it, it would be suicidal.
fgwedfger   508d ago | Spam
medman  +   508d ago
I'm going with PS4 next gen. Microsoft has shown me enough (or not shown, in the case of games I want to play late this console cycle) for me to be almost certain the Nextbox is not in my future. The technical specs for their next system would have to wow me completely, and according to rumors it is believed the PS4 will actually be a slightly more capable machine. If Sony has the better gaming franchises and the better tech, what am I sticking around for? Kinect? Casual games? Apps I can access elsewhere? Xbox live gold which charges me for access to the internet? No wait, I know, I'm waiting for their Nextbox to fail me repeatedly with a nextring of death. I'm almost positive I'm out. Just waiting on the specs to confirm.
Smokingunz  +   508d ago
I agree with this article.also, if all these rumors about the 720 is true im not getting it.
dcbronco  +   508d ago
Can't believe people go on about this when there is no official word, Only rumors. Sony just said at GDC that the PS4 will be always on and no one says a thing. If Microsoft does it it or is rumored to do it it must be some kind of evil plan to destroy gaming. Sony does it and nobody saw nothin'.

We need an Apocalypse to thin the frickin' herd.
#20 (Edited 508d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
chuckyj1  +   508d ago
Did MS actually announce something? Oh...No wait these are the same talking points derived from over yr. old documents leaked to the internet...

People just need to wait until the official unveiling or use information that isn't over a year old.

Isn't the PS4 "Always on"?
hawkeyejonjon  +   508d ago
If i remember right, no. Sony confirmed it won't be always online. You can play games without an internet connection. It was on Kotaku talking about it unless they changed their minds but i don't think they did
dangerousjo34   508d ago | Spam
KrispyFudge  +   507d ago
Always online? Didn't SimCity do this and fail terribly at launch?

Indie Underwater Game Depth Hunter 2 Now Out on Steam

6m ago - Biart Company, an independent games development studio, announced today that its first-person und... | PC

The Problems with Mists of Pandaria – So Much to Do, But Not Really

18m ago - GeekParty writes: "Hitting Level 90 in Mists of Pandaria gave World of Warcraft veterans an unfam... | PC

Sixty Second Shooter Prime Reviewed - Cliqist

18m ago - Marcus Estrada writes: "Sixty Second Shooter Prime is, well, a top-down shooter. You play as a ti... | Xbox One

Amazon Germany listing Sniper Elite: Zombie Army Trilogy for PS4 and Xbox One

18m ago - The Sniper Elite: Zombie Army games appear to be heading to the current generation of consoles. | PS4

Start Making Games for the PS4

Should We Get A Hyrule Warriors Wii U Bundle?

25m ago - The Tyuno Project: "The release of Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U game, Hyrule Warriors, is just aroun... | Wii U