Submitted by EliteGameKnight 537d ago | article

Should You Sell Your Old Console?

The next generation is on the horizon, and as such it’s time to once again start saving. Selling your old Xbox or Playstation could help you afford them, but what about all those games? Will they just gather dust on your shelf? You could sell them, but with them all your progress and hard work will follow. You’ve invested countless hours playing that console, why should you sell it? Not only does it offer a sense of nostalgia, it is also necessary to play your games. (Industry, Next-Gen)

« 1 2 »
GraveLord   537d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
Magnus  +   537d ago
I won't sell my older consoles need something to play 360 and PS3 games specially if the next gen doesn't have backwards compatibility.
Baylex  +   537d ago
Yeah.. just bought the other day one ps3 slim.. neve had one. So I'm pretty happy with it.. did a nice deal 140€ with shipping costs included, a ps3 slim with nfs shift and WRC. Playing all the uncharteds, Ratchet and Calnks, Killzones, God of War, Journey etc etc! All those games I missed..

And maybe I'll buy a xbox 360 if I spot some good deal! I'm a gamer not a fanboy ;)
vet_medic  +   536d ago
one word: GTA5
Brucis  +   537d ago
Does the next console have backwards compatibility for my favorite games? Sure I guess. If not I'll just keep it.
SDF Repellent  +   537d ago
If the Next Xbox has BC, I will trade the X360 in for store credit. If not, I will keep it.
Donnieboi  +   536d ago
Makes perfect sense. Same reason for why i'm keeping my PS3 when I get a PS4.
grassyknoll  +   537d ago
Selling your Playstation 3 if you have plus is madness!
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
Not if the money you get from that sale goes towards a brand spankin new PS4 in the fall.
NastyLeftHook0  +   537d ago
well i got the 3 month plan and used 2 months so...
grassyknoll  +   537d ago
Fair enough, I'm on plus until 2017 so definitely keeping it for the time being!
urwifeminder  +   537d ago
Yes i will trade in my 360 on the new xbox maybe all my games as well if there is no bc.
ironfist92  +   537d ago
I never buy consoles day one considering they'll get cheaper, slimmer and bundled later on.

Plus I still have alot of PS3/360 games to play, no point buying consoles I dont need right now, especially considering the lack of backwards compatibility
fermcr  +   537d ago
Smart gamer.

I'm the same. Never buy consoles at launch. No rush. Usually there are hardware problems with launch consoles. Let others be the guinea pig(s).
#7.1 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
Well, no one "needs" new consoles. Just as I'm sure you don't "need" your PS3/360. People buy these things because they like them. Some simply like to have them earlier than others.

EDIT: Btw I'm getting mine next summer when all the launch titles are half price :)
#7.2 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
Funny, today I asked for a quote for my 500GB BC PS3 and all my games. Looks like I might be able to get a PS4 sooner than I expected :)
Cam977  +   537d ago
Keep it! It'll be worth 10x your quote in a decade, the BC models are gold; especially with a 500GB HDD.
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
But what if I OD on buffalo chicken pizza and the cholesterol build up leads to a lethal heart attack within the next ten years? Then the government takes my BC PS3, sells it, and uses the profits for something dumb like a soup kitchen or something. Screw that! I wanna sell that baby now! =D
rainslacker  +   536d ago
If you never plan on playing those games again then there's no sense keeping the system. Might as well sell it to someone who will want to play them.

I used to do that too, but found myself wanting to go back and play those older games, and when I went looking for them the prices had risen dramatically in many cases, so I actually lost out. Luckily now I have more disposable income so I don't feel the need to trade or sell the old stuff anymore. Have a pretty decent collection even.:)
NastyLeftHook0  +   537d ago
i will never sell my ps3. i love that beautiful gift from god.

edit: lol i was joking! you folks are quite the serious type.

@therebel, i couldn't care less what you think about my choices as a gamer.
#9 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
RTheRebel  +   537d ago
Your fanaticism for a piece of plastic is sad.
Lol
#9.1 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Kran  +   537d ago
Considering the PS4 isn't backwards compatiable, I'd say keep your PS3 until we know more about playing your old games on the PS4. If you have to repay for them, keep your PS3. If not, then perhaps sell it? It just means your games may just be digital if that.

And as for the 360? We don't know crap yet so yeah :/
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
I actually stopped caring about BC recently. After seeing what next-gen has to offer, I have no intention of playing older titles anymore. For anyone that does, it might be a good idea to hold on to your PS3.
RTheRebel  +   537d ago
Agree buddy :)
rezzah  +   537d ago
keeping it until it falls over.
Gamer-40  +   537d ago
I will never sell my collections.
Ps1, Ps2, Ps3, GC, Xbox, Xbox 360, 3DS, and I buy, Ps4, new Xbox, WiiU.

Why disagree:)..?
My collections true, not a rumor + nice Samsung UE32ES6540 3D FULL HD-LED TV. I'm a video gamer for over 30 year now, not brand PR manager.
I never sell my favorite games and console:)
#12 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
I think ur getting disagrees because theres no Dreamcast in ur list lol.
Gamer-40  +   537d ago
LoL:)
This logical, but my list true.
DC very good console -I sell- Shenmue, Code: Veronica the best.
#12.1.1 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
rainslacker  +   536d ago
Some people just don't understand people that want to play older games, or like to collect them. My list trumps his, but his is pretty impressive.:)
Hicken  +   536d ago
I dunno why you're getting disagrees, but I doubt it has anything to do with not having a Dreamcast.

No way am I selling my consoles. If I had the chance, I'd have two of each console ever made. Yes, doubters, that includes Microsoft-made consoles.
Williamson  +   537d ago
Even if the ps4 could play ps3 games I wouldnt sell mine. I like to look back at my gaming collection once in a while.
Zizi  +   537d ago
Not yet, we haven't played THE LAST OF US on the PlayStation 3. LOL
LOGICWINS  +   537d ago
"Although the next generation is quickly approaching, we should not discount this one just yet. Not only does it still offer much, but there are still countless games you probably have not played and more still about to release. If you were to rid yourself of them now you may come to regret it."

Here's the thing. Out of all the consoles I've ever owned(SNES, Sega Genesis 3, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, PS3) not only was I the LEAST excited for my PS3, but I spent less time playing games on it than any other console I have ever owned. This generation has to be the worse I've ever partaken in and I know that many out there feel the same way. Yes, I had great times with certain gems this generation(Bad Company 2, Uncharted 2, Saints Row 2, Mass Effect 2, Arkham City etc.) but the level of enjoyment I got from these games PALED in comparison to the 8 hour marathons I had with GTA games in the PS2 days.

The PS4 is what the PS3 should have been: giving devs the tools to create not only pretty experiences, but unique ones as well.
#15 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Jazz4108  +   536d ago
I dont think sony can get rid of the ps3 fast enough. I know the fans will support anything but even sony has admitted this one was a costly mistake.The reason ms dropped the xbox support was because they were being shafted by nividia for its making so they had to move on and so does sony.
#15.1 (Edited 536d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
r21  +   537d ago
No, I dont sell my past consoles for newer ones. I didnt sell my PS1 when the PS2 came out and I didnt sell my PS2 when the PS3 came out and i'll most likely be doing the same thing when the PS4 drops.
#16 (Edited 537d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
from the beach  +   536d ago
Guy who still has a Mega Drive set up here.. PS3/360/Wii aren't going anywhere..
BladerunnerZX  +   536d ago
I just recently picked up a new 250 gig PS3 Super Slim bundled with both the Uncharted and Infamous collection.

So theres no way I will ever sale or trade my PS3.

Heck I still have my Metroid edition Gamecube that I use to play The Twin Snakes, REmake , RE4 and RE0.

When I was a young gamer I traded my Turbographix16 collection for a Sega Saturn and a few games.

I will NEVER make that mistake again.
#18 (Edited 536d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Mathew9R   536d ago | Spam
Jek_Porkins  +   536d ago
No, I never sell any of my consoles. The PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible and there will be the inevitable lack of games around launch, just like with all consoles for the most part, so I'll hold onto my PS3 and Xbox 360 because you never know when you'll want to play something on one of those. Cant forget great titles like GTA5 coming soon, without BC, you'll need your old consoles to play those games.
josephayal  +   536d ago
I would happily sell my XBOX 360/Wii now and save the money for next gen, TBH I will be lucky to afford one at this rate
fracturedrich  +   536d ago
Ive had a 360 since launch,it broke the other day and i have about 100 games including 20 arcade games so i went and bought a new one and got a good deal on a ps3 500 g slim aswell and bought some exclusives while i was at it demon souls which ive always wanted to play as ive clocked ds 4 times,i played god of war 3 first and loved it one of the best games out there now ime playin uncharted 2 ive got both 2 and 3,ime making the most out of having two consoles ime getting ni no kuni this week ive already got gears judgement,its a hard life people and ime seeing out current gen with a bang.Ime thinking of switching to sony for next gen aswell even though i love my 360.
HeavenlySnipes  +   536d ago
Trading in my 360 and the few games I have for it for store credit towards a PS4. I don't have Live so I pretty much only used it for single player 360 exclusives and I had MP games for the PS3
jdktech2010  +   536d ago
my biggest issue is space. I only have one or teo games I'd play next gen on ps3 so I don't mind the loss of BC. most of my 360 games I play for mp minus the halo series (have them all the way back to ce). So hopefully the new xbox has halo BC.

ill probably get rid of both if I upgrade to 720. Going to PS4 for sure
kagon01  +   536d ago
No, after seeing so many issues in this generation where publishers abuse gamers with their BS.
ironmonkey  +   536d ago
ill keep mine. to many good memories with the ps3. remember when developers called the ps3 alien tech?. they'll be talking about this ten years later.
KillerPwned  +   536d ago
From the Atari 2600 I keep everything and looking back now at the collection I have built up to pass down to my children. I would never in my life get rid of it all. You just work earn money for the luxuries of life that you enjoy.

I understand though in some situations you gotta sell you're stuff but I highly recommend to refrain from that as much as you can. Its not only the value of money its worth but the memories those things can bring back to you. This is a little off track but ties into what I am saying, you can be a gamer and have very fond memories with people playing a certain game.

So in conclusion because of the collection I have obtained over vast amount of time. The value both psychical and mental I would never sell my stuff unless it was for something very important and their was no other way around it and this was my last option.
mochachino  +   536d ago
Old consoles and games are worth almost nothing. It's best to just keep them. They have more value as personal collectors items than the $40-$50 I'll get IMO.

For some reason I like having my PS1 and PS2 (in there original boxes), same will be for 360 and PS3 and I can bring them out for the odd time I feel like playing a last gen game.
NYC_Gamer  +   536d ago
I'm keeping my PS3&360
CrustifiedDibbs  +   536d ago
Sold my Xbox already. Don't plan on selling my blu ray player until it breaks.
#30 (Edited 536d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
« 1 2 »

Valkyria Chronicles’ Selvaria and Alicia join Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

22m ago - "Valkyria Chronicles‘ Selvaria Bles will be a playable character in the upcoming console version... | PS3

The Legend of Zelda's strangest spin-offs

22m ago - Hyrule Warriors is a successful Zelda spin-off, but not all of the series' outside ventures have... | Culture

The Next Penelope: An F-Zero-Inspired Space Odyssey | Hardcore Gamer

22m ago - The Next Penelope is a title that will likely catch many gamers off guard when it launches on PC... | PC

eGamer Podcast 98: Double Crunch Of Destiny

2h ago - Recorded 16 September 2014, this is episode 98 of the eGamer podcast. Topics discussed this week... | PC

Destiny The Game

Now - Explore Mars, Rediscover Venus, Reclaim the moon, Protect Earth. Become Legend. The wait is over! Destiny is now available to play, Pick up your... | Promoted post

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Gets Dual Language Tracks in All Releases

3h ago - Hardcore Gamer: Prepare for plenty of options for your Final Fantasy Type-0 HD language tracks, r... | PS4