Submitted by lodossrage 541d ago | article

Will fans finally give Shenmue the respect it deserves if it goes to the Playstation 4?

Earlier this week, a tweet went out showing Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki, Shenmue's creator as well as the creator of many of Segas arcade games. The tweet showed a picture of the two together at this year's GDC (Game Developer Conference). And with the picture, it was said that the two were discussing potential Shenmue strategies. The twitter tweet in question can be seen here. Now let's be realistic, April fool's will be upon us soon so this may very well be a hoax. However, on the off chance that it isn't, do gamers deserve a new Shenmue game? (Dev, Industry, Next-Gen, PS3, PS4, Sega, Shenmue, Tag Invalid, Yu Suzuki)

StrongMan  +   541d ago
Shenmue on PS4 would be EPIC. Make it happen Sony.
Tr10wn  +   541d ago
if they make shenmue 3 for the PS4 ill buy like the same day it comes out, that game is something i will never forget i love it.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   541d ago
I think fans will give it the respect it deserves if came to all consoles, Not just one. Let others play it on different platforms so everyone can enjoy it.
MikeMyers  +   541d ago
If it does Sony will have to subsidize the costs. This franchise nearly killed Sega because of the high production costs and sales not able to match that. Shenmue has a very vocal community out there but it's not known just how big that group really is to sell a game of the same magnitude the others were. To me it would be a very risky investment to make it exclusive and have the Japanese gamers be the main target. So they would either have to Westernize it or offer it on multiple platforms or scale the development back.
caseh  +   541d ago
'This franchise nearly killed Sega'

I think Sega nearly killed Yu Suzuki as a result. :)

I could understand the reasons why if they made Japan its main target audience. The Yakuza games shifted more than 70% of all sales through Japan alone. if they could keep development costs down then they could go for a bigger audience but the cost of a AAA title these days is just insane.

I for one would cry myself to sleep every night if S3 became a Japanese only release.
DragonKnight  +   541d ago
Just because Yu Suzuki went overboard with his budget with the previous Shenmue games, doesn't mean that that'd be the case now. There's no way anyone can say that Shenmue 3 would have a similar cost issue as the previous Shenmue games, thus no real reason to say that Sony would have to subsidize the cost. And Westernizing Japanese games is a sure-fire way of ensuring failure.
MikeMyers  +   541d ago
"So they would either have to Westernize it or offer it on multiple platforms or scale the development back."

That is why I said or scale back the development.
DragonKnight  +   541d ago
@Mike: Your point is still flawed. You're basing your post on the budgets of the last 2 games and that has no bearing on today. You can do a lot more today, for less money, than you could then. So there's no indication that scaled back development or Westernization would be needed at all.
#1.2.4 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
MikeMyers  +   541d ago

DragonKnight  +   541d ago
"No bearing to toady? Do you live in some other world because the one I live in has shown exponential growth in the cost to produce these games. Why do you think games like Final Fantasy have gone multiplatform? Shenmue is a lot like Grand Theft Auto, you want to tell Rockstar to make that game exclusive too?"

You literally must be blind. Shenmue was expensive because what it tried to accomplish then required new technologies that cost a lot more to make. Nowadays if a Shenmue game were to be made in the same style, it wouldn't cost nearly as much because technology has improved. Cost is only reflective of what you want in the game and what you're trying to do. The costs have gone up only because of the attempt to push graphical fidelity to their highest extremes for consoles, that's not a problem unless you want it to be. A game like Shenmue doesn't have to cost $100 million today thanks to all the efficient and capable middleware engines and improvements made in the time between now and when Shenmue 2 was developed. Clearly you have no concept of time.

"Everyone wants AAA games but rarely mention the financial commitment to making them. On top of that is the extra risk of making them exclusive. Japan is not exactly the powerhouse it used to be to market large games to and expect mass returns on."

AAA is about budget not quality. So if everyone wanted AAA games they are immediately acknowledging the budget unless they are too stupid to understand that AAA isn't about quality. And why are you bringing up exclusivity? Where in this string of comments was exclusivity brought up? Your fanboyism is showing. It's the same thing with Bayonetta 2. Would you rather the game exist as an exclusive, or not exist at all? Those are your choices. If Sega made Shenmue 3 exclusive to PS4, that's their choice and isn't an incorrect one. Sometimes being multiplat is more expensive and more of a risk than being exclusive because there's no guarantee that a different userbase will adopt the game the same way an original userbase already has and then the developer just wasted time and money porting the game to a console where the gamers don't give a damn about it.

Honestly, you really don't seem to know what you're talking about here.
MikeMyers  +   541d ago
"You literally must be blind."

You're right. I'm blind for taking previous Shenmue games as reference. How dare I!

"Sometimes being multiplat is more expensive and more of a risk than being exclusive because there's no guarantee that a different userbase will adopt the game the same way an original userbase already has and then the developer just wasted time and money porting the game to a console where the gamers don't give a damn about it."

Were previous Shenmue titles exclusive the Playstation console? So what userbase are you talking about? I think it's you who doesn't know what they're talking about. Even the next MGS game will be multiplatform.

As I said, Sony will either have to partner themselves and help fund the project, or the next Shenmue will be a smaller scaled project, or it will be multiplatform. The userbase from past games wasn't that large to begin with otherwise it wouldn't have lost so much money.

We live in an era where 3rd party exclusive games are few and far between and in a world where less risks are taken and costs have risen dramatically. I would like Shenmue III as well, I'm just being a realist about it.
#1.2.7 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report
Hicken  +   540d ago
@Mike
You're really bad at accepting when you're wrong, you know that?
3-4-5  +   540d ago
First game was special....it was so unique compared to anything I'd played at the time.
GreenRanger  +   541d ago
Do it. Do it NOW!
Sandmano  +   541d ago

Related video
Sandmano  +   541d ago
Stupid iPad anyway...

Related video
#2.2 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
IIC0mPLeXII  +   541d ago
I don't think it will be the same. With the way games are going, don't be surprised if Shenmue 3 has fucking mp, forced coop, no inventory system, simplified fighting mechanics, guns, and just the same general shit that comes with sequels nowadays.
RTheRebel  +   541d ago
HD Collection PLz Plz?
BladerunnerZX  +   541d ago
Thats a good suggestion Rebel.

If Sony is unsure about funding a completely new Shenmue game then it might be best to work a deal with Sega to bring The first two Shenmue games to PS3 as an HD collection or even as PSN games to test the waters and see if their is enough support for Sony to invest in Shenmue III.

btw I suggested the PS3 because of the already built in user base would be a better testing ground than a whole new console.
#4.1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
urwifeminder  +   541d ago
Means i would never finish the trilogy if its ps4 only awell so be it.
clintagious650  +   541d ago
Would be a great game to have on the ps4. Will it sell well? Im not sure, I dont think the others sold well but were good games.
BladerunnerZX  +   541d ago
I still have my well used copy of the Dreamcast original.

I luv the Shenmue games.

I would buy two copies of Shenmue III just to show support for the game.

Shenmue III would fit the PS4 perfectly.

I have no doubt that the core Playstation community would support a core centric game like Shenmue.

After all the hardcore Playstation gamers support and more importantly buy "core" based games like Heavy Rain and Shadow of the Colossus.
Tito08  +   540d ago
I totally agree, Shenmue could find a new home with the PS brand. Judging by the success the Yakuza series received by being a PS exclusive, it could totally be a good fit for Shenmue as well, & it could mark the first time the series hits a PS console since the series's announcement & birth on the Dreamcast in '99.

@ some of the sensitive Xbox fanboys in case you get offended by giving me disagrees: Before that, I'm not saying it should be a PS exclusive, don't get it twisted. It could be a multiplat for all I care since the original Xbox received Shenmue 2, but in my honest opinion, it could be more successful on a different platform other than Xbox. & Since it's a Japanese series, it might appeal more to the Japanese market than in the West if it's on a PS console, while at the same time being on both platforms for the Western market.

It remains to be seen whether or not Shenmue 3 turns out to be a reality. But since both the PS3 & 360 have a large installed base, it would be ideal to bring Shenmue 1 & 2 remastered in HD on both PSN & XBLA or on disc, if that happens, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
#7.1 (Edited 540d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JeepGamer  +   541d ago
Only if its given a complete overhaul.

Shenmue is a game that has not aged well. Can have the same story and such but modernization of game play and particularly the fighting will probably be needed.
Picnic  +   541d ago
I'd much rather see Jet Set Radio Future 2 but that doesn't have the same outspoken fan base of Shenmue.
Picnic  +   541d ago
I wonder what part you object to:

"I'd much rather see Jet Set Radio Future 2"

or:

"That doesn't have the same outspoken fan base of Shenmue."

Because you are relatively outspoken even though you've got Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs to tide you over. Greed.
Tito08  +   540d ago
I only pressed disagree because you mentioned Sleeping Dogs which is a Square Enix IP, not Sega's, which has nothing to do with it. & I know you mentioned it because of the Shenmue parody in that game anyways.
#9.1.1 (Edited 540d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Picnic  +   540d ago
Again, I wonder what 2 of you disagree with as you are too stupid or cowardly to actually be able to articulate what it is.

As for Tito, I never claimed to think that Sleeping Dogs is a Sega game.

The point of my post is that there is already more out there for lovers of Shenmue-like games
than there is for lovers of Jet Set Radio Future.
Droid Control  +   541d ago
I'm begging them to take my money. Just take it all!

I need Shenmue 3 more than anything else in life.

Shenmue 3 would sell consoles.

But they must not compromise the vision with co-op, muliplayer, achievements, and all that crap.
Just give is the game pure.
#10 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SDF Repellent  +   541d ago
Shenmue III should be multiplat if Sega is smart.
wenaldy  +   541d ago
Haha, u wish.
DragonKnight  +   541d ago
"Shenmue III should be multiplat because my fanboyism would prevent me from playing it if it's not."

-Fixed for spelling errors.
SDF Repellent  +   541d ago
In the meantime, I will play Shenmue II again on my X360 to get ready for Shenmue III, when it is actually ready. ;)
#11.2.1 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(9) | Report
MikeMyers  +   541d ago
DragonKnight somehow thinks it makes more business sense to have it exclusive and feels the need to go on the attack if others disagree.
DragonKnight  +   541d ago
Oh I do? That's funny, because what I think I was doing (and you know, correct me if I'm wrong because obviously you can read my mind and know what I was thinking when I wrote the comment better than I do) was commenting satirically on SDF's comment given his name and typical posting style. No, obviously it's about me wanting Shenmue 3 to be exclusive. That has to be it. Because I have a life or death interest in a game series that hasn't had a sequel in far too long for exclusivity to matter. Gee, thanks for enlightening me on my own mind MikeMyers, whatever would we do without you?
SatanSki  +   540d ago
So now people who want a game available for everyone are fanboys? Hmm
abzdine  +   541d ago
Shenmue 4 means Shenmue HD Collection
E3 2013 will be epic

Imagine those graphics!
#12 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
smashman98  +   541d ago
it also means shenmue 3 right or will they just skip that :P
Haki1112  +   541d ago
I will sell my body for this game to happen!
TongkatAli  +   541d ago
Can't they just use the Yakuza engine, switch characters and make cities look different ?
waltyftm  +   541d ago
I hope Shenmue 3 is coming soon, i have been waiting far too long to kick Lan Di's ass

Faaaattttthhhheeerrr.

Ps4 would be an excellent choice for Sega to release it on.
GABRIEL1030  +   541d ago
If Sony can develop Shenmue 3, then this game would attract a lot nostalgic fans of Dreamcast, a smart movement.
e-p-ayeaH  +   541d ago
Of course it would shenmue got a lot of praise thanks to the internet.
imsocool1234  +   541d ago
If a new Shenmue was made, wouldn't it be a multiplatform?
lodossrage  +   541d ago
Maybe not.

If Yu Suzuki succeeds in his bid to buy the franchise away from Sega and is indeed making some sort of deal with Mark Cerny and Sony (assuming it's not an April fool's joke), then the possibility of an exclusive is there.

But just because the two might be in talks doesn't mean it will be exclusive. Just that the possibility is there.
imsocool1234  +   541d ago
I've never owned an XBox or Dreamcast, so that's why I asked.
NYC_Gamer  +   541d ago
I would buy Shenmue 3 on release day
#20 (Edited 541d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
yokokoroma  +   541d ago
What kind of question is this? I'd say Shemue is something like a cult classic, so why wouldn't it get the "respect" it deserves. As far as fans of the series "deserving" another Shemue game, I'd say owed is a better term. The Shemue saga is incomplete, and fans want to see how it ends. Does Ryo kill Lan Di, and avenge his father? or does Ryo fall to Lan Di, just as his father did. Besides that (the former being the most important though), theres a lot of loose ends in Shemue, such the "mystical powers" displayed at the end of Shemue II. Shemue III could resolve all of the above, and finally give fans the satisfying conclusion they've been waiting for. As far as Shemue fans respecting it, if it comes to PS4, I don't think that's even an issue. The PS brand is favored amongst hardcore gamers, so I don't think there's a better console it could go to.
lodossrage  +   541d ago
How is it "owed" to them when thus far, neither game in the series sold well? It's a valid question.

We have to stop looking as fans and be realistic. I'm a fan of Shenmue too and would almost beg for it to be completed. But fans don't put their money where their mouths are all the time.

If they did, Shenmue would have sold much better than it has with the first two outings of the series.

Like I said before, fans need to PROVE Shenmue 3 should be made. How you ask? By making remaking the first two as HD remakes. See how the sales and interest go with those. If those hit target, THEN Shenmue 3 should be made.
Magnus  +   541d ago
I hope if it does come out to PS4 I hope Sega includes HD remakes of Shenmue 1&2 with Shenmue 3.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   541d ago
Of course, all fanboys are moronic hypocrites.

TGS 2014: The Good, The Bad And The Weird

43m ago - Sebastian Young spent two days covering the Tokyo Game Show for Zero1Gaming. Here he gives a rund... | Industry

Japanese students rank the Top 11 Video Game Companies

2h ago - Japanese website for students, MyNavi Student, has recently polled its readers on which Japan... | Industry

The Ultimate Five Nights at Freddy's Guide

2h ago - Suzanne Verras writes: "Welcome to the Ultimate Five Nights at Freddy’s Guide! For as ultimate a... | PC

Verdun’s Surge to the Frontline

2h ago - Verdun has been surging forward as more than 85,000 players have played the World War One (WW1) F... | PC

Celebrate the new TV season with Filmwatch

Now - With the 2014-2015 TV season right around the corner, come join us on Filmwatch as we celebrate and give all you TV lovers something to enjoy! | Promoted post

Steam Discovery Update goes live

2h ago - As a long time user of Steam GamersFTW have often lamented that it needed an overhaul to make it... | PC