Submitted by iGAM3R-VIII 470d ago | article

PS4 interface, user account features and social functionality detailed at GDC

Sony went into a deep dive on the PlayStation 4 during a session at the 2013 Game Developers Conference today, giving attendees details on the console's user interface, account features and social functionality.

Chris Norton, senior staff engineer from the strategy team for developer services and support at Sony Computer Entertainment America, showed off the console's interface and pointed out that it will show information about a game — including comments from other players and downloadable content — before you boot up a game. (PS4, Sony)

Alternative Sources
iGAM3R-VIII  +   470d ago
"you'll be able to browse the PlayStation Store and buy games through the app; they'll start downloading immediately, and once you get home, you'll have the ability to play the part that's already downloaded." SMARTEST IDEA EVER.
NastyLeftHook0  +   470d ago
instant gratification.
Conzul  +   470d ago
Yup. This really was the only thing that tablet/phone games had over consoles anyway.(you could say portability but Vita will remote play all PS4 titles)

Cutting down waiting time and loading screens is a biggie.
#1.1.1 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
DOMination-  +   470d ago
Its great but you can do this already on the 360 via xbox.com or smartglass...

Edit: obviously if its not fully downloaded you can't play it on 360. That of course is a great feature of ps4
#1.2 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(65) | Report | Reply
Freeball  +   470d ago
Neither of which turn on your console to commence downloading immediately. Not the same thing. With a PS3 you can turn it on remotely with a PSP or Vita, but there isn't a low power state for downloads which sucks. It's a nice evolution of what is around right now and will make things easier when I'm away from home.
KwietStorm  +   470d ago
Now if only they go full Steam ahead and allow early downloads for new games, as part of their Day 1 Digital program.
princeofthabay  +   470d ago
Well, if you think about it, you wont really need early download if you can play the game within seconds of starting the download.
iGAM3R-VIII  +   470d ago
These ideas seem good, can't wait till E3 to test them
#2 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
GribbleGrunger  +   470d ago
I'm really surprised at all the new information. I expected 'some' new info to come out of GDC but what we've actually got is another good months worth of news to speculate over. Sony are just getting it right. I particularly like the idea of the controller holding your PSN ID as well as the console ... in fact I predicted it! http://sony-gamer.com/?p=15...

The potential is HUGE with this new feature.
#3 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
FullMetalTech  +   470d ago
I agree. Id though they would leave some info for E3 but they seem to be on a roll. Im guessing they will just load E3 with gameplay, pricing, launch dates and lineup.
iGAM3R-VIII  +   470d ago
They will probably also go with a more in-depth talk about the hardware and showing an actual demo of the PS Eye and the controller. And they will also probably will let us gamers get our hands on the system and what it will look like.
Conzul  +   470d ago
E3: Actual console shown
Gameplay from launch lineup.

OT: I'll never use my real name. I like that you have the option, but I'm a little scared that opting out will cut you out of some features. (i.e. must I tie my PSN and FB in order for the Share functionality to work? Hope not, otherwise I'll have to set up a dummy FB)
iGAM3R-VIII  +   470d ago
Agreed
I think Sony are not playing around this time and the thing about a company is that a good company learns from their mistakes. MS have been focusing on Kinect and sadly they haven't learnt yet but I am sure it's going to hit them later rather than sooner. Most of the new news we have got from GDC were smart features. I just have to wait until E3 when I can finally get my hands on the controller and system!
GribbleGrunger  +   470d ago
This is what I mean by HUGE though. From my article:

Your ID is no longer associated with the console, but rather, it is associated with your controller. In other words, your controller becomes the key to access all of your content anywhere, any time, through any Gaikai enabled device. There would be no problem playing your own PSN collection at a friend house because all you would have to do is take your controller with you. This empowers you, the gamer, and protects Sony because, without your controller, your friend would not be able to access your content afterwards. But this solution offers even further benefits. Because the controller is paired to your account, even if your friend doesn’t have a PS4, you would still be able to show him your latest PSN collection, providing he had a Gaikai enabled TV, a laptop, a pad or even a decent phone.

In effect, your controller becomes a portable PS4
#3.3 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
KwietStorm  +   470d ago
lol or even a decent phone. They basically said every Joe Schmo in the world has the door open to them. People can say whatever they want about PS3, I know I enjoy mine, but it feels like they've taken every single shortcoming, and even all the good things about it, and flipped the switch. There is not one thing I'm not excited about so far.
JAMurida  +   470d ago
So basically your controller is everything to you? I'm guessing that if you switch controllers that your account will roll over onto the new controller, since I'm sure people will go through controllers more often than the console itself. I also wonder why they didn't do this with the Vita as well, as it would of probably been better off with this kind of feature or maybe I missed something... I'm still going through all the news coming from GDC.
DA_SHREDDER  +   470d ago
"The DualShock 4's touchpad features a 1920x900 resolution, and it will click when you push it down."

Wha?!!!
JAMurida  +   470d ago
Yeah, I'm not understanding that... So is it an actual screen or something else?
Simon_Brezhnev  +   470d ago
from what i saw on gaf its the actual space where you touch. So i'm guessing the touch pad is pretty detailed like the vita screen when you touch something.

I could had interpreted wrong though.
#4.1.1 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
RevXM  +   470d ago
It means that the pad is very precise. Thats a decent resolution on such a small surface. Resolution isnt only a term used for screens and photos etc but for other things as well.
A pc mouse have a sensor resolution, touch surfaces have a resolution and cameras too. Think of resolution as a thing that goes both ways.
In form of an image that we can see or in form of an image that a computer would see.
#4.1.2 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
Kyur4ThePain  +   470d ago
Disappointed at no pressure sensitive face buttons. I always use the X button for the accelerator in GT. I just can't use the trigger buttons. Not being pressure sensitive means I lose the throttle finesse.
wenaldy  +   470d ago
Or buy a nice GT wheel
KwietStorm  +   470d ago
The triggers always worked better. There's much more degrees of pressure. If it's a comfort thing for you, I can't argue that. But the buttons going back to digital only makes sense to me. You should try out the PS3 Real Triggers if you just don't like the feel.
a_bro  +   470d ago
yea, i dont like that either. games like GT took advantage of it. welp, theres always the right analog stick.. edit: forgot that you can use the L2/R2 triggers for it now.
#5.3 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
FrightfulActions  +   470d ago
Thanks for clearing that up, I was wondering what they were talking about.
uuaschbaer  +   470d ago
They should at least have X and O be pressure sensitive; when Motorstorm came out people hated the trigger accelerator.
GamersRulz  +   470d ago
"Remote Play with the PlayStation Vita is also baked into the PS4, and both the handheld screen and TV will mirror each other, instead of the TV showing a message telling you to look at the PS Vita. Since the PS Vita doesn't have triggers like the DualShock 4, a default controller mapping for those buttons will be available"

BEST NEWS EVER
abzdine  +   470d ago
have you guys seen this thing? it's INSANE!!!

Possibilities are limiteless with PlayStation! This is revolution in gaming and survival horror could be born again
#7 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
jay2  +   470d ago
This is why Sony's won E3's show. They've got to talk so much about games and so little with everything else.
nevin1  +   470d ago
This ID being tied controller sounds dumb.

Based on GribbleGrunger's description, it sounds like the controller is meant for one person like how they said about Vita.

I mean what im asking is the controller tied to one account? How many controllers can you put your account on?
LOOK_AT_THIS_I  +   470d ago
I would imagine a sync option to pair it with the console. Maybe when you take it away from the original ps4 it reverts to a default controller with no user info stored after a set amount of time.. Kind of a time stamp like how betas/trials/ps+ time is tracked but it would be deactivated when not paired or synced with the original console after the expiration date
#9.1 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
strickers  +   470d ago
Read that you just sign in
ID not tied to pad or system .
edonus  +   470d ago
I'm going back and forth on this. Your id tied to a controller... Yeah you always need a controller, but I dont use the same one all the time. Its great having your profile with you but a controller is kind of big. I would rather a card or something.

I would rather have a code and facial recognition. Like you type your gamer tag access code and then it facial detects you. But for that you would need either your console to be on all the time or at least when you are somewhere else to act as a server or sony would have to make facial recognition data base.

But the idea is still good to be able to travel with your ID.
DivineAssault  +   470d ago
This system is greatness! The remote play & share options are built in it so its going to run great.. Commanding the system to download games while out and about is a great business strategy to get people to buy on the fly & make it convenient for them.. If u have PS Vita, it will be similar to the wii u if not identical as far as the dual screen functionality.. Sony really hit a home run with this thing.. (As long as the price is right).. The eye is similar to the kinect so u get a great little package for core, kids, casuals, etc.. Everyone can use it & have fun.. Hell, u can use the touch pad as a cursor for point & click games requiring a mouse & whatever types of phone games ppl like.. I just hope the storage isnt proprietary & u can upgrade your HDD without paying sonys ridiculous prices..
#11 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Lone_Man  +   470d ago
using real name is a bad move i guess..because people tend to relate their name with them very much...so if an angry player(Loser)try to humiliate other people it will just get ugly....i know they cant hurt each other but still..i hope they(ps dept.) will administer it transparently and strictly.
#12 (Edited 470d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
T2  +   469d ago
Sony has already stated you are not required to use your real name
Lone_Man  +   469d ago
Thnx 4 the update
Shacojin  +   469d ago
I think the whole social aspect will be selective, meaning you can link your PSN and FB account and select which friends/family who also have a PSN and FB account to see your real name when playing online. Everybody else who isnt your friend on FB cant see your real name.. but my cousin in New York who is playing BF4 can see my real name when he stabs me in my heart and steals my dogtag... that douchbag! at least thats how I think it will work. Majority of my friends/family dont really game.. at all... so that wont be an issue for me.

Just The Tip: Concursion - Pixels for Breakfast

7m ago - Pixels for Breakfast writes: So far at Pixels for Breakfast I’ve fought off the zombie hordes, ex... | PC

Dragon Nest Is Getting Hardcore

9m ago - Shanda Games today announced an exciting new update for Dragon Nest EU as the developers introduc... | PC

Interview With Crooked Tree Studios About For My Brother

12m ago - Interview with Crooked Tree Studios discusses their game "For My Brother" A Metroidvania styled g... | PC

#HelpsNotHarms Campaign Combats Recent Article Decrying Video Games As Addictive As Heroin

13m ago - UK newspaper, and I stress that term greatly, The Sun has fired shots against the video game indu... | Industry

Start Making Games for the PS4

World Of Tanks Blitz Preview Interview

13m ago - Wargaming developer Rob Carroll details the new mobile game, World Of Tanks Blitz in this exclusi... | iPhone