Submitted by GamePodunk 893d ago | opinion piece

Looking At All The Evidence: Is Joakim Mogren CGI?

GP writer Jared discusses several reasons Joakim Mogren may be a CGI figure and not a real person. (Culture, Fox Engine, Next-Gen, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

bunt-custardly  +   893d ago
Absolutely not. It was a joke created on the Gaf.
RIPSKATEDESTROY  +   892d ago
Yeah for this even to be a disussion just goes to show what gaming has become.
guitarded77  +   892d ago
Yeah, but IGN perpetuated the joke as a possibility, and people believe anything they hear on the internet. But I have no doubts that whatever Kojima has planned will be amazing.
#1.2 (Edited 892d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheMailman  +   892d ago
I'm almost certain Joakim is CGI.. we will know soon enough..
minimur12  +   892d ago
i love how we've reached a stage in tech now where we are actually questioning the difference between reality and CGI images
minimur12  +   892d ago
If you look at the second slow-mo gif, you can see the button on his shirt, no cgi
PSVita  +   892d ago
Kinda random but I put SPEED on for the first time in awhile and realized movie starts with music that sounds exactly like MGS.
Snookies12  +   893d ago
Lol, I know I shouldn't even consider the possibility of this being true (because it is beyond highly doubtful this could be pulled off), but then again... This is Hideo Kojima we're talking about. That man does amazing things.
#2 (Edited 893d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SandWitch  +   893d ago
A new level of stupidity
Tito08  +   892d ago
Couldn't agree more, I bet Kojima is laughing his ass off for how stupid & idiotic these "Journalists" are, & I can clearly see the mini microphone on on the dude's shirt, lol.
koston3647  +   893d ago
won't we find out today or tomorrow? why write this article?
DigitalSmoke  +   892d ago
I don't know how some ppl don't believe that this is possible.
You can clearly see polygon bugs around the lower area throughout the interview.
Also part of the hair ontop has a 2D design.

It can very easily be animations rendered by a computer, my opinion is that it is indeed.
#5 (Edited 892d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
zerocrossing  +   892d ago
Im just going to put my neck out there and say that Joakim Mogren is CGI, as far as Im concerned it certainly isn't impossible.
hkgamer  +   892d ago
I personally don't think it is CG.
But if you think about the Emily CG interview which was 4 years old then it kinda makes you think that this could be done and the technology is certainly there.

Now if it is CG then it would be cool if he appears in a GDC presentation and then he starts going crazy and the screen starts showing his skull like the campbells crazy codec call in MGS2.
zerocrossing  +   892d ago
Im certainly open to the prospect of being wrong of course, but like I said I think it possibly could be CGI and it would be very cool if it were :)
#6.1.1 (Edited 892d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Braid  +   892d ago
It's one of the most facepalm enducing gaming rumors this industry has ever seen in the last decade. Jesus...
DS36  +   892d ago
I think he is CG. Funny how he has the same style bandage wrapping as the mysterious guy in The Phantom Pain. His name is actually the name of Kojima's project.
Unztayble  +   892d ago
I never thought for a second that this guy was CG. Just a fake accent.
thelaughingwiseman  +   892d ago
Enough with this already. I'm really tired of the praise Kojima has been getting. You guys are setting him up to fall big. He has been producing and creating some amazing games, but he is no way a trickster like you guys claim. "Oh, anything is possible when Kojima is behind it." He has never done stuff like this. He hasn't fooled the press before. You guys are making him into the Steve Jobs of the gaming industry (in regards to inflating his icon). His greatest games were Metal Gear, MGS3 and Peace Walker and his production of Zone of Enders. MGS4 was 30 minutes of game play and 4 hours of cut scenes (exaggerating on the game play). All I'm saying he has some misses on his resume.
Zechs34  +   892d ago
*clears throat*

Sir, nothing you said above made me laugh, nor was it wise. I demand you change your name and stop spreading your opinions as facts. A "miss" to you might be a gem to someone wiser.
Nate-Dog  +   892d ago
Well clearly he is working in tandem with Geoff Keighley about the whole "Moby Dick Studios". And he has never done stuff like this before? What about in MGS2 when everyone and their dog thought the game was just a direct sequel to MGS and we'd all play as Snake for the whole game. Or about how the story of the game was being a recreation of the events of the first game being unknowingly replayed by Raiden and the player at the same time.

I hate all the Kojima fanboys myself and I hate people inflating his ego, but he has done stuff like this before. That's why people say he's one of the biggest trolls in the industry, it's not just being said for the sake of it.
kwyjibo  +   892d ago
Games journalism is essentially just playing along to viral advertising campaigns.
DigitalSmoke  +   892d ago
People who "can't imagine" this being possible today, have slept on LA Noire, and the possible high res version of this tech scatered around the industry by now.

Its possible, even if this isn't real.
#12 (Edited 892d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
claud3  +   892d ago
excellent Marketing
dogdirt2000  +   892d ago
Real or not, if we consider the scanning tech we have from the likes of those at 'Infinite Realities' amongst others, and also look at the advancements in skin shading over the years by folks like 'Jorge Jimenez' (Iryoku/Activision Blizzard), this isn't beyond the realms of possibility in today's age. Of course, it would still be quite the technical feat.

Personally, I'm on the fence for this one. Could do with having an uncompressed high res clip of the interview to scrutinize. Whatever the case, staging an interview like this was a great way to tease/hype the game.
mrmancs  +   892d ago
i have studied it on a 65" Panasonic plasma i have zoomed it in and either it is cgi or a actor made up to look computerized. I am 100% certain.
Nate-Dog  +   892d ago
"Joakim Mogren is a head and possibly a shirt. At no point do we ever see any other part of him."

orly?

Related image(s)
DS36  +   892d ago
Joakim Mogren is Kojima's Ogre Project. Joakim is ogre made, and believe it or not he is CG. The bandages are a dead give away, the same bandages as the mysterious lead character in TPP. They are there to cover up details in his hair which is probably more difficult to CG and to trick people.
#17 (Edited 892d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Intentions  +   892d ago
It looks cgi to me, if you look at the hands and face you can see it looks a bit fake compared to a real person.
MysticStrummer  +   892d ago
Wow humans are dumb.
shadowst17  +   892d ago
As a person who works with CGI it makes me facepalm at how gullible people really are. Yes CGI is awesome, but THIS 'fox engine' is a game engine, it is designed to run on specific hardware that is available to the public, a CGI from a movie, has hundreds or possibly thousands of cores and hundreds of GB of RAM. and is done pre rendered and not in real-time. You will not see super realistic CGI (using no camera tricks like bump maps like you see with the new engines like unreal engine 4). we will not see really super realistic games until 3D chips are made cheap, the technology is incredibly new so it will take a while.
#20 (Edited 892d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Final Fantasy VII iOS Video Review- PCMag

26m ago - Final Fantasy VII, the game that either saved JRPGs or ruined them forever, arrives on the iPad m... | iPhone

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster PS4 Patch Update

27m ago - Square Enix has patched the PlayStation 4 version of Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster. The fo... | PS4

Top 5 Games To Play in September

Now - August was a great month with many good games. Let's see if this month's game releases can deliver the same amount of excitement... | Promoted post

Otome Visual Novel ‘Mystic Destinies’ is Already Half-Funded on Kickstarter

28m ago - Mystic Destinies tells the story of a young woman who has just started attending a prestigious un... | PC

Mad Max - All Cutscenes to the game

29m ago - these are all the cutscenes to mad max. I wasn't expecting much out of this game but it really bl... | PC

PS4 Exclusive Drawn to Death Private Access is Live, So Here's Half an Hour of New Gameplay to Watch

30m ago - If you signed up for private access, go and check your emails as you’ll probably find a code wait... | PS4