Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by GamePodunk 978d ago | opinion piece

Looking At All The Evidence: Is Joakim Mogren CGI?

GP writer Jared discusses several reasons Joakim Mogren may be a CGI figure and not a real person. (Culture, Fox Engine, Next-Gen, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

bunt-custardly  +   978d ago
Absolutely not. It was a joke created on the Gaf.
Yeah for this even to be a disussion just goes to show what gaming has become.
guitarded77  +   978d ago
Yeah, but IGN perpetuated the joke as a possibility, and people believe anything they hear on the internet. But I have no doubts that whatever Kojima has planned will be amazing.
#1.2 (Edited 978d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheMailman  +   977d ago
I'm almost certain Joakim is CGI.. we will know soon enough..
minimur12  +   977d ago
i love how we've reached a stage in tech now where we are actually questioning the difference between reality and CGI images
minimur12  +   977d ago
If you look at the second slow-mo gif, you can see the button on his shirt, no cgi
PSVita  +   977d ago
Kinda random but I put SPEED on for the first time in awhile and realized movie starts with music that sounds exactly like MGS.
Snookies12  +   978d ago
Lol, I know I shouldn't even consider the possibility of this being true (because it is beyond highly doubtful this could be pulled off), but then again... This is Hideo Kojima we're talking about. That man does amazing things.
#2 (Edited 978d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SandWitch  +   978d ago
A new level of stupidity
Tito08  +   978d ago
Couldn't agree more, I bet Kojima is laughing his ass off for how stupid & idiotic these "Journalists" are, & I can clearly see the mini microphone on on the dude's shirt, lol.
koston3647  +   978d ago
won't we find out today or tomorrow? why write this article?
DigitalSmoke  +   978d ago
I don't know how some ppl don't believe that this is possible.
You can clearly see polygon bugs around the lower area throughout the interview.
Also part of the hair ontop has a 2D design.

It can very easily be animations rendered by a computer, my opinion is that it is indeed.
#5 (Edited 978d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
zerocrossing  +   978d ago
Im just going to put my neck out there and say that Joakim Mogren is CGI, as far as Im concerned it certainly isn't impossible.
hkgamer  +   978d ago
I personally don't think it is CG.
But if you think about the Emily CG interview which was 4 years old then it kinda makes you think that this could be done and the technology is certainly there.

Now if it is CG then it would be cool if he appears in a GDC presentation and then he starts going crazy and the screen starts showing his skull like the campbells crazy codec call in MGS2.
zerocrossing  +   978d ago
Im certainly open to the prospect of being wrong of course, but like I said I think it possibly could be CGI and it would be very cool if it were :)
#6.1.1 (Edited 978d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Braid  +   978d ago
It's one of the most facepalm enducing gaming rumors this industry has ever seen in the last decade. Jesus...
DS36  +   978d ago
I think he is CG. Funny how he has the same style bandage wrapping as the mysterious guy in The Phantom Pain. His name is actually the name of Kojima's project.
Unztayble  +   978d ago
I never thought for a second that this guy was CG. Just a fake accent.
thelaughingwiseman  +   978d ago
Enough with this already. I'm really tired of the praise Kojima has been getting. You guys are setting him up to fall big. He has been producing and creating some amazing games, but he is no way a trickster like you guys claim. "Oh, anything is possible when Kojima is behind it." He has never done stuff like this. He hasn't fooled the press before. You guys are making him into the Steve Jobs of the gaming industry (in regards to inflating his icon). His greatest games were Metal Gear, MGS3 and Peace Walker and his production of Zone of Enders. MGS4 was 30 minutes of game play and 4 hours of cut scenes (exaggerating on the game play). All I'm saying he has some misses on his resume.
Zechs34  +   977d ago
*clears throat*

Sir, nothing you said above made me laugh, nor was it wise. I demand you change your name and stop spreading your opinions as facts. A "miss" to you might be a gem to someone wiser.
Nate-Dog  +   977d ago
Well clearly he is working in tandem with Geoff Keighley about the whole "Moby Dick Studios". And he has never done stuff like this before? What about in MGS2 when everyone and their dog thought the game was just a direct sequel to MGS and we'd all play as Snake for the whole game. Or about how the story of the game was being a recreation of the events of the first game being unknowingly replayed by Raiden and the player at the same time.

I hate all the Kojima fanboys myself and I hate people inflating his ego, but he has done stuff like this before. That's why people say he's one of the biggest trolls in the industry, it's not just being said for the sake of it.
kwyjibo  +   978d ago
Games journalism is essentially just playing along to viral advertising campaigns.
DigitalSmoke  +   978d ago
People who "can't imagine" this being possible today, have slept on LA Noire, and the possible high res version of this tech scatered around the industry by now.

Its possible, even if this isn't real.
#12 (Edited 978d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
claud3  +   978d ago
excellent Marketing
dogdirt2000  +   978d ago
Real or not, if we consider the scanning tech we have from the likes of those at 'Infinite Realities' amongst others, and also look at the advancements in skin shading over the years by folks like 'Jorge Jimenez' (Iryoku/Activision Blizzard), this isn't beyond the realms of possibility in today's age. Of course, it would still be quite the technical feat.

Personally, I'm on the fence for this one. Could do with having an uncompressed high res clip of the interview to scrutinize. Whatever the case, staging an interview like this was a great way to tease/hype the game.
mrmancs  +   977d ago
i have studied it on a 65" Panasonic plasma i have zoomed it in and either it is cgi or a actor made up to look computerized. I am 100% certain.
Nate-Dog  +   977d ago
"Joakim Mogren is a head and possibly a shirt. At no point do we ever see any other part of him."

Related image(s)
DS36  +   977d ago
Joakim Mogren is Kojima's Ogre Project. Joakim is ogre made, and believe it or not he is CG. The bandages are a dead give away, the same bandages as the mysterious lead character in TPP. They are there to cover up details in his hair which is probably more difficult to CG and to trick people.
#17 (Edited 977d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Intentions  +   977d ago
It looks cgi to me, if you look at the hands and face you can see it looks a bit fake compared to a real person.
MysticStrummer  +   977d ago
Wow humans are dumb.
shadowst17  +   977d ago
As a person who works with CGI it makes me facepalm at how gullible people really are. Yes CGI is awesome, but THIS 'fox engine' is a game engine, it is designed to run on specific hardware that is available to the public, a CGI from a movie, has hundreds or possibly thousands of cores and hundreds of GB of RAM. and is done pre rendered and not in real-time. You will not see super realistic CGI (using no camera tricks like bump maps like you see with the new engines like unreal engine 4). we will not see really super realistic games until 3D chips are made cheap, the technology is incredibly new so it will take a while.
#20 (Edited 977d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Désiré - Prologue: Walkthrough Guide

4h ago - Appunwrapper writes: "This is a complete step-by-step walkthrough for the iOS and Android point-a... | iPhone

Blaze Proves the Commodore Amiga Was Capable of Sonic the Hedgehog

4h ago - Carl Williams writes, "While Sega never supported the Commodore Amiga with any games, they did la... | Retro

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

Westwood Studios to Receive Industry Icon Award at The Game Awards 2015

4h ago - Host Geoff Keighley just announced that the defunct Westwood Studios will receive the “Industry I... | Retro

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes – Tips, Tricks, Cheats, How to Beat, and Strategy Guide

4h ago - Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes is a new iOS and Android mobile RPG. | iPhone

Yokai Watch Dance Gets Two New Japanese Commercials

5h ago - Level-5 has released two new commercials showing off the game’s colorful and adorable gameplay. | Wii U