Submitted by Citizen_King 636d ago | news

Sony Expands Independent Game Portfolio for the PlayStation Platform at GDC

GOS: "Sony continues to drive in the point that the PS4 has the full support of developers with that announcement that independent titles Blacklight: Retribution, Primal Carnage: Genesis, Divekick, and Metrico will make their exclusive début to the Playstation platform.

Made possible by the Playstation Pub Fund the futuristic PC shooter Blacklight: Retribution will join the dinosaur hunting FPS Primal Carnage: Genesis on the PlayStation 4. The fund also helped the two-button fighting game Divekick and the infographic adventure Metrico on the Playstation Vita.

Ok Playstation 4, we get it. Developers like you…" (Blacklight Retribution, Divekick, Next-Gen, Primal Carnage: Genesis, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, Tag Invalid)

Alternative Sources
JoGam  +   636d ago | Well said
PS4 LIFE
sinncross  +   636d ago
Good move Sony!
now get F2P more involved on PSV and fix up PS Mobile.

Cant wait for E3... PSV and PS4 offerings are going to be great I think.
darthv72  +   635d ago
indie games
are some of the most creative games i enjoy playing. PSN/XBL/Wiiware...all of them have some great indie titles that deserve to be played.

on a side note, are there any PSMobile games that ever get added to PS+? I'd sure like to try some on my vita. Sony should add trials of games for mini and psmobile if they think about it.
OlgerO  +   635d ago
This is the first console I ever pre ordered in my life.
miyamoto  +   635d ago
PlayStation: It Only Make Friends of Everybody!
At a time they say lots developers are making games for mobile and Sony comes out with this, right American McGee?

25 indie games for PlayStation, Here’s the full list:
• Crystallon – PlayStation Mobile
• Don’t Wake the Bear – PlayStation Mobile
• Hermit Crab in Space! – PlayStation Mobile
• Oh, Deer! – PlayStation Mobile
• Rymndkapsel – PlayStation Mobile
• Ten By Eight – PlayStation Mobile

I'd rather have more new games and new IPs no matter how big or small on my system than think about sales figures that I can't even play every time I visit a gaming site.

What is worse is a system that doesn't have new games nor sales flowing for it all at the same time.
#1.3 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
GribbleGrunger  +   636d ago
With all of this great news and momentum, if Sony smash E3 and release at a reasonable price, we could be looking at something quite incredible here. Dare I say it ... *PS1/PS2* era all over again. Of course I could be wrong, but the excitement and anticipation is almost palpable wherever you go on the internet.
ziggurcat  +   636d ago
i know, i can't wait...
GribbleGrunger  +   636d ago
Certainly exciting times.
#2.1.1 (Edited 636d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(1) | Report
Larry L  +   636d ago | Interesting
Not to mention, both of Sony's competitors REALLY screwed up at the end of 2 very successfull periods (Wii and 360). Both seem to have shot themselves in the foot in various ways not only imo leaving the door open for Sony to come strong and dominate, but possibly making some room for a new contender (SteamBox) to completely replace one of them.

MS seemed to TOTALLY misjudge and really kinda mistreat their loyal fanbase with their switch in focus to casual from hardcore. They seem to have invested FAR too much into Kinect (which I know sold well but doesn't seem to be too popular or groundbreaking to the people who bought it) and then into that Magi-Glass thingy or whatever it's called.....did that even ever come out? And wasn't that supposed to be for 360? And I don't think that interests people much anyway. And continually, seemingly giving it's fans less and less for their money while Sony is quite publicly giving more and more.......I think alot of 360 gamers this gen aren't going to bother with Xbox next gen and go right to PS4, like so many have already switched to PS3 (proven by Blops2 having busier servers on PS3 lately).

I just don't know what MS can do next gen, and I'm starting to think tehy're considering just bowing out. They lost 2 Billion on Xbox 1, and with all the replacements, even with 360's success, I don't know how much MS actually made all together. And their secret got out, and they won't be able to strong-arm devs into platform parity this time. It's public now that alot of devs got sick of their crap with all these stifling rules and stipulations for OTHER platforms. If they KNOW their strong-arming won't work anymore, I see them bowing out. Otherwise they need MAJOR investments into 1st party developers....which I don't think they'll do.

ANd with Nintendo I don't know WHAT they were thinking with coming out with THAT hardware THAT early. They should have waited and come stronger. And WiiU's sales show I'm right. Fan loyalty MAY pull them through this gen....but IDK.....most people just aren't that brand-loyal anymore. Personally, I predict Nintendo developed games on other hardware platforms before the end of PS4's lifetime. Unless they get a miracle in the form of loyal fans. I look forward to the "NINTENDO CLASSICS COLLECTION Vol 1" on my PS4. I'll buy that Day 1 if Punch-Out!!! is included.

To Valve and their hypothetical SteamBox: I would say jump in, the water's fine. It may look like rough seas right now but that's because everyone in the pool is kinda treading water to keep their head above, but 1 or maybe 2 are about to drown, leaving room for a new console to possibly have success. (though I personally don't really think Valve's got what it takes to get into the console biz. Steam is a great platform for them, I don't know if they really need dedicated hardware, or if it would even help them at all....and wouldn't Valve themselves be the only 1st party dev? Sounds even worse than 360 for exclusives.)
#2.2 (Edited 636d ago ) | Agree(38) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
GribbleGrunger  +   636d ago
Wow there, Fella, what can I say other than 'great post!' I manage to muster one pitiful paragraph and you bury it with a whole chapter. Bubble.
KingofGambling  +   636d ago
You nailed it.
BitbyDeath  +   636d ago
PS4, it only befriends everything
StrongMan  +   636d ago | Well said
Great news!!!! The Sony train can't be derailed at this point.
#4 (Edited 636d ago ) | Agree(35) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
MysticStrummer  +   636d ago
I doubt it will happen, but an outrageously high price is the one thing that could derail the hype train.
Shuyin  +   635d ago
Some Sony chief said it will be afordable so that's already taken care of.
C-Thunder  +   636d ago
Loving that they are making it so easy for indies to get on their systems. PS4's looking better and better.
MikeMyers  +   635d ago
Yup. They seem to be making all the right moves so far and had a checklist of things to improve on from the PS3.
GreenRanger  +   636d ago
Anyone know when E3 is on this year?
BitbyDeath  +   636d ago
June 11-13
izumo_lee  +   636d ago | Helpful
Sony's new motto.

Make as many friends as possible! Just like that trailer at the start of the PS4 announcement.

'Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality, but to win you don't need to fight but play.....however having a lot of friends makes it so much better!.'

Just saw the trailers for Primal Carnage & Blacklight....looking awesome!!

Primal Carnage trailer - http://youtu.be/EmE7gxoOJZ4

Blacklight trailer - http://youtu.be/vXVbKds7dSQ
rezzah  +   636d ago
Always wanted Primal Carnage on consoles, finally I will get to play it.
Felonycarclub8  +   636d ago
Thanks for the trailers
Felonycarclub8  +   636d ago
Sorry I meant to press agree and I put disagree instead sorry I hate the iPhones screen size I need to get me a galaxy note 2
tinezedw  +   636d ago
Just watched gameplay of both of those games in youtube and both of them look awesome, specially primal carnage, playing as dinosaurs looks AWESOME.
r21  +   636d ago
I hope that's their new ad campaign for ps4. I really like the 'War Against Reality' slogan :D
jon1234  +   636d ago
im more excited now, my tax return money is going straight towards a ps4 and games :D
NatureOfLogic  +   636d ago
I hope Microsoft is sitting back and taking notes. Which would be good for us gamers.
clintagious650  +   636d ago
Im wit u because they been quiet. I heard there were like 3 hour lines with ppl trying to play the last of us & ms booths were small except for a Dance game for kinect. That had to suck for 360 only owners. Hope MS has something up their sleeve or they might get left behind.
Ezz2013  +   635d ago
it was more than that
a guy at the GAF said he waited over 5 hours to play the demo
but he said it was worth it
the game was soo good he felt angry it was only 30 minutes
Felonycarclub8  +   636d ago
Sony is making really good moves.
Citizen_King  +   636d ago
It's nice to know that the PS4 will have a great selection of games at launch.
zoks310  +   636d ago
Massive news. PS4 all the way.
LightningMokey  +   636d ago
PS4 president!
Larry L  +   636d ago
Between our current and last Presidents, an inert PS4 system could only do a better job as President. So I'm with you. PS4/Hulk Hogan 2016 !!!!
WeAreLegion  +   636d ago
Can I get a possible scenario in which Microsoft wins the next generation? I promise that I won't retort. I just want to hear these. :) I will give bubbles to all realistic responses.
izumo_lee  +   636d ago
If they are targeting the casual crowd or to be a more mainstream entertainment 'cable' box like the rumors suggest than they have the possibility to be the Wii of next gen.

High console sales but very decent to poor 3rd party support with a sprinkle of huge hitters like Halo, Forza & Kinect Sports.

And just like with the Wii the supporters will boast about its sales rather that be concerned with what is really going on around them.

That is my guess on why Microsoft may have higher sales...though i really hope i am wrong for gamers sake.
Citizen_King  +   636d ago
I agree with you 100%. Another scary scenario concerning the 720, if recent rumors are true, is that Microsoft probably doesn't care that core gamers are turned off by a console that is always online and downloading games to a HDD because only casuals and the mainstream would be impressed by these features. It's pretty obvious what crowd Microsoft is targeting next generation.
WeAreLegion  +   636d ago
Thanks for the responses, guys. ^_^
LightningMokey  +   636d ago
If the make their gaming console simply that... a GAMING console.
clintagious650  +   636d ago
Sony is on a roll but u can see after the ps4 reveal sony wasnt messing around when it comes to dev support. Even now with more devs showing support i think the ps4 will be a more successful system then the original playstation & ps2 because they didnt have pc devs supporting those systems but now u see pc only devs also happy with the ps4 & showing love.

Im kind of worried about MS because I havent heard nothing coming from them. U would think we would hear just a little from GDC but nope. I wonder if they are just waiting until e3. Its been kinda dead at GDC for MS.
Hicken  +   636d ago
It's because of situations like this that people say "Say ANYTHING, Microsoft!"

Seriously, they're letting the hype for the PS4 just keep building with NOTHING to slow it down.
Gamer-Z  +   636d ago
Maybe its because they have nothing to slow it down with. I think the PS4 really took MS by surprise and now they are scrambling at MSHQ to figure something out, possibly even a redesign of the console itself maybe adding in more ram and such idk but whatever MS is doing they are being very quite about it. Also if any of those rumors are true its going to be a hard sell for MS as nobody is going to want a system with so many restrictions.
#16.1 (Edited 636d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
PS4isKing_82  +   636d ago
Sony is clearly in the drivers seat with no hope of slowing down anytime soon.
Welcome back Sony of the ps1/ps2 era, you've been missed. :)
GravelerMagnitude9  +   636d ago
This is the most no-disagrees post on ps4 on n4g ever. Everyone are saying and speaking to each others as they are neighbors or family. I guess that is the effect the ps4 has on us, Joyous and Caring and Sharing Videos with the share button. And how refreshing it is to see a game like Knack , which is a game unlike any we've seen this generation. Sony cares , do you (that should be their motto)
GravelerMagnitude9  +   636d ago
A message to 360 owners,

I've owned both systems. When I were younger I always stated how Xbox 1 was better ps2. It was necessarily true, it was because my brother had ps2( he was older) and I had a box. As a little bro, I said my system was better and that was it. Just dumb youth.

Next gen approached and I got 360 first
1st 360: Red ring of death
2nd 360: red ring of death
3rd 360(elite): I modded my system, played halo reach, gears 2, shadowrun, phantasy star universe online, then red ring of death.

Dont get me wrong , I enjoyed played 360 games, but my older brother had ps3 and I was interested.

I first was interested by play station home, because coming from box 60( Xbox 360) I never seen nothing like it because it was integrated into the system. Down the road came killzone( art style), uncharted, littlebigplanet, and more.

As a gamer you must try different experiences, as they can do no harm.

If you own box 60 ( box 60 lol) ,drop what you are doing trade your 360 for ps3 on craigslist. Purchase play station plus and download. And if you have any extra money purchase other exclusives that you haven't touched.

This will make your choice of next gen preference much easier.

Whether its Pc, ps3, or Xbox 360 , don't let a good experience pass you by, by limiting yourself to one platform?

My choice next gen is ps4 and even if the next Xbox is actually a box , well I would hope not lol.
#19 (Edited 636d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
WeAreLegion  +   636d ago
See...that's what I don't understand. When most people try out the games and features of both consoles, they end up choosing the PS3 over the 360. Oddly enough, however, I've seen people choose the 360 because they think Call of Duty is only in the 360.

The mindsets created by marketing and media publicity are a HUGE factor in sales.
hazardman  +   636d ago
Playstation 4 will be my gaming and media hub. Not only are the open to all developers. They're funding indie developers and getting great 1st party games from it for PSN Plus. Playstation 4 is not here yet and its already primed for Greatness!!

What more can you ask for as a gamer? If this is truly last generation of consoles like analyst say....SONY is going out with a Bang!!!
GravelerMagnitude9  +   636d ago
I was 12 when this gen started in 2005 , now I'm 20 and it's the most exciting thing ever. It's not every day that a new system is released.

To feed my hype , I went to YouTube to watch not only the play station announcement again, but I watch gameplay of games that havea chance to come from pc to ps4.

I watched planetside 2, black light retribution, and more. I'm going to continue, but imagine when E3 come in June. The Gods have chosen us to see the unveiling of 2 new consoles and their offerings which even the Gods could not have foreseen with open eye.

This current gen was the rise of First person Shooters.
Next Gen I don't think will have so much, but I think Next Gen will have alot of RPG's and much more.

New Ip's+ Indies+ Pc Ports+ Strong Developer Support= Best generation ever.

Not to mention the features of Ps4 , mannnn im trying to stop Posting and thinking about Ps4
#21 (Edited 636d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SAE  +   635d ago
''The Gods have chosen us to see the unveiling of 2 new consoles and their offerings which even the Gods could not have foreseen with open eye. ''

Don't jinx the ps4. We don't want another titanic lol . But i agree, PS4 gonna be great. Even my brother who stopped playing now look at the ps4 news. It's like ps2 generation again >.<
ElementX  +   635d ago
PS4 - Playing yesterday's PC games, tomorrow.

Funny thing is you can get a most of the games coming to Vita/PS3/PS4 on Steam for only a few dollars on sale. I know I'll be playing indie games on PC and get another console for exclusives.
#22 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(14) | Report | Reply
Ezz2013  +   635d ago
"Funny thing is you can get a most of the games coming to Vita/PS3/PS4 on Steam for only a few dollars on sale."

yeah,because steam have
the last of us,beyond,god of war ascension,deep down,infamous:2nd son,drive club,killzone:SF etc
.....right ?!
supremacy  +   635d ago
What i would like to see is Sony somehow come out with a subscription based model that cover Free MMO gaming.

Imagine Ncsofts stuff or Blizzards

SoE is a very asset they(sony)has.

A game like Planetside 2 would make a great launch ip.

Imagine wow or starcraft on ps4? That would be huge, specially if they are able to launch in China with this approach? Nothing could stop them at that point.

The ps4's online service is leaps and bounds whas currently being offered on ps3. So they should really consider bringing back franchises like socom ,MAG, Warhawk(full fledge game with a single and co op campaign) everquest and even a canceled project like the agency could very well do well on a platform like the ps4.

Agent sigh.

I dont know about you guys, but personally i think it would be wise to also launch your system with a port of GTAV and games like the last of us and beyond. I know there lies the cannabilization, but its something that could really help push the platform early on.
Blackcanary  +   635d ago
I'm very happy with this i love PC games and Consoles games lets hope we see some good MMORPGs that you normally only find on the PC for the PS4 to.

Congrats Sony looks like your actions are speaking louder than words.
GraveLord  +   635d ago
Meanwhile Microsoft is busy securing TV deals and apps for the next XBox.
uyweuiiusdhf   635d ago | Spam

RPG Reload File 019 - 'Bastion'

0m ago - TouchArcade: Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload, the weekly feature where we he... | iPhone

Joel And Ellie Nearly Escorted A Dog Through The Last Of Us

0m ago - The latest video from Did You Know Gaming looks at The Last of Us and its development. | Industry

Eight reasons to get excited about video games in 2015

7m ago - 2014 has not been a great one for the video game industry. Major games were shipped in broken sta... | Industry

Top 10 Fixes for MGSV: Ground Zeroes PC Crash, Error, Resolution, Black Screen, FPS, Camera, Control

13m ago - The PC version of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes faces some crashes, errors, and bugs that can... | PC

Are you bored?

Now - Watch 10 seconds videos about games and game culture at COUB Gaming... | Promoted post

2014 HSR Game of the Year Awards: Day Two

46m ago - The 2014 High Score Reviews Game of the Year Awards are up and running, and we’re doing things a... | PC