Submitted by jonnyvito 651d ago | opinion piece

American teenagers, abuse and trash-talking killed online chat and team-work

Opinion - PSU examines why people don't use headsets as much anymore in the online servers of Xbox 360 and PS3. (Microsoft, PS3, Sony Computer Entertainment, Xbox 360)

mi_titan27  +   651d ago
one of the reasons i dropped xbox live
TheFallenAngel  +   651d ago
Its the same on psn. Not as bad but pretty bad.
Cam977  +   651d ago
No it isn't. The people with mics bought their mic optionally; thus, one would assume it was purchased for use with friends. I rarely come across people calling me abusive words, infact, the last time I played BF3 most of my team's squads had small groups of friends maturely talking with one-another.
sergons  +   650d ago
@TheFallenAngel
My advice,never post on n4g anything bad about ps3,sony(even if it's true)or u will be attacked by sony fanboys.
TheFallenAngel  +   650d ago
@ Sergon
But I am a PS fanboy. Not a blind fanboy like others. I also enjoy other consoles but nothing like a PS3.
shoddy  +   650d ago
I don't see why some guy brag about everyone have mic on xlive.
It's just to have more guys to mute.
StrongMan  +   651d ago
Same here.
NeverEnding1989   651d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(2)
TacoTaru  +   651d ago
Too bad that instead of "reporting" someone we aren't given the option of pressing a button that would send a current to the offending headset strong enough to fry the electronics.
Reborn  +   651d ago
"Party chat means that for me, there is zero trash talk or abuse on Xbox Live."

That's hardly relevant. It happens, it happens on every platform. There is plenty of users with a mic on PS3. But most probably mute everyone, except the players their in a party with/those with no mics.
Mathew9R   651d ago | Spam
TuxedoMoon  +   651d ago
I mostly experiences a lot of garbage on consoles more so than PC. The only PC game I can think of that I saw drama and trash talk a few times was Team Fortress 2...but even that's somewhat rare. I do think that mics cause problems. When you type, you have time to think because you write out what you want to say, where as speaking is almost instant...and sometimes things can slip, which causes problems.

Gaming over the years and the community has gotten increasingly more aggressive and chaotic.
#6 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Wizziokid  +   651d ago
I'm British and I wouldn't say it's just 'American teens' British people can be the same, hell any English-speaking person can be the same,I've played with British, French and Americans who have acted like total douche bags.

it really does put me off using a mic in multiplayer unless I'm playing with friends. but I've also met some pretty awesome people on xbl and psn.
cyril sneer  +   651d ago
Yeah it mainly seems to be chavs that talk shit from the uk.
csreynolds  +   650d ago
This exactly. Anyone of any nationality can be an utter w***er over a mic whilst playing online, irrespective of nationality or age.

It's a sad thing; I bought a mic to communicate with teammates and talk with my friends whilst playing games. Now, I find I use it less because douchebags are in abundance nowadays - especially on CoD. I'm not hating on the game, but a large proportion of the series' community consists of foul-mouthed rage junkies.
#7.2 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
violents  +   651d ago
I've heard plenty of trash talk from people who arent american or teenagers. People are just douchebags in general. Stick to playing with friends or get to know the mute button for those above average jerks. You can still talk to all the people that dont trash talk and would like to communicate with team members.
Roper316  +   651d ago
I will only play co-op online and noone usually does any trash talking because we are all on the same team trying to accomplish the samething.

loud mouth idiots & cheaters are why I don't play any of the competitive MP games.
VonBraunschweigg  +   651d ago
I still play MAG a few nights a week, in a clan. Lots of talking, calling out positions, plan our attack. Should some outsider join the squad and start trashtalking, we vote him out quickly. Use the mic correct and a decent KDR? Welcome to the clan.
Same with Starhawk, also a game with a lot of strategy needed to win. Play with a clan, tactics go up and no trashtalking kids.
blue_flowers  +   651d ago
im american and can vouch were all a bunch of a**holes.
JakemanPS31994  +   650d ago
Maybe you are but some of us actually try to be decent human beings... I'm not a fan of this generalizations that American teenagers are group causing the problems! That's like saying all Muslims are hate-filled terrorists. People need to stop assuming. /rant over ^_^
Dms2012  +   650d ago
But most hate filled terrorists are Muslims, zing! Really, just a joke.
jjb1981  +   651d ago
I mostly use my headset when I'm trying to play quietly. It's annoying when your own teammates are calling you racist names because you didn't wipe out an enemy team by yourself when playing headquarters. It's ridiculous. Sometimes there's fun conversations with joking and laughing then one super douchebag comes along and ruins it and then rage quits. I know I should mute him but I shouldn't have to open the menu while I'm playing to mute him
#12 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SP3333D-O  +   651d ago
Regardless of nationality, or age, for that matter, I don't want my gaming experience ruined by mp jerks. It's a shame because mp could be so much more enjoyable than it typically is.
edonus  +   651d ago
Only thing worst is when you get a girl on a network. There is almost a timer ticking to the detonation.

I would love to play with more females but its almost impossible. You are going eventually have the guys trying to get laid, the guy disrespecting women, then the women who feed back in to that compounding and accelerating the madness.

We all know women have a natural instinct to argue even about the dumbest $h!t so once it starts it dont stop. And teenage boys whose balls aint dropped yet are very similar to women (even though they dont know it yet) they are amazed there is a place where they can call a girl a B**** and not get in trouble for it.

They should etiquette settings for match making, so we can have more control on who gets in to our sessions and who we get in to sessions with.
Lacarious  +   651d ago
duh.... thanks captain obvious... this has been going on since the inception of voice chat during video games.

and blaming "american" teenagers is str8 retarded.... all teenagers of all countries are at fault.

putting "american teenagers" in the title is about as childish as those that rage on chat.
#15 (Edited 651d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
contradictory  +   650d ago
i never use voice chat
but then again i never play CoD or Battlefield...
not the kind of games i'd really enjoy all that much
same with MMORPG's
Sgt_Slaughter  +   650d ago
There are a lot of Americans that do it, but don't try to generalize EVERYONE online as snobby, immature and rude Americans. This is why it sucks being from the US nowadays...
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   650d ago
I mostly get abuse from Americans when I play online, they seem ultra competitive and hate losing. I also have a few American friends I play with who are really nice though. There's just a lot more idiots in the world and you tend to hear from them a lot more than the nice guys.
#17.1 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MadMax  +   650d ago
Gets real old hearing the same mindless, ebonic, trash talking, clown all the time. I just mute all the crunk jumpers.
#18 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TXIDarkAvenger  +   650d ago
Doesn't matter, mic or no mic. People still trash talk online...Its come to a point where your not trash talking enemies but trash talking your own teammates.
medman  +   650d ago
Personally, I prefer a great single player game to any online component any day. I don't want the quality of my experience determined by fake internet only muscle tommy toughguys and billy badasses online, cheaters, glitchers, or lag on a server. No thank you. Not to mention I don't have ten hours a day to devote to leveling up just so I can earn enough credit to get the gear I should have access to from the get go. I enjoy playing a half hour at a time, at my own pace. That becomes impossible if you want to survive in multiplayer because if you don't spend a lot of time grinding away, you're going to be at a disadvantage to all those who have nothing but time on their hands to earn every possible piece of gear or attachment the game has to offer and learn every hidden area on the maps. Once again, no thanks.
#20 (Edited 650d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
vork77  +   650d ago
teenagers dont kill it try 7 year olds on the mic playing cod
Max-Zorin  +   650d ago
It's not just Americans. There are other nationalities that are just as terrible.

Review: Shadow of the Ninja (3DS eShop / NES) - NLife

33m ago - NLife: "There's a great moment early on in Shadow of the Ninja where an armoured trooper stands... | Retro

Review: Duck Hunt (Wii U eShop / NES) - NLife

34m ago - NLife: "Despite Nintendo's refusal to acknowledge the Duck Hunt character in Super Smash Bros. u... | Wii U

Day of the Tentacle’s Graphics are Better Left Untouched

1h ago - Sometimes, it's better to leave a classic alone. | Culture

Fate/Stay Night Characters Make Cameos In Divine Gate

4h ago - GungHo Online Entertainment is taking their crossover strategy from Puzzle & Dragons and applying... | iPhone

Start Making Games for the PS4

Hyakka Ryouran Elixir ~Record Of Torenia Revival~ to release on April 9, 2015

4h ago - Kaga Create have announced the release date of the PS Vita game, Hyakka Ryouran Elixir ~Record Of... | PS Vita