Submitted by jonnyvito 938d ago | opinion piece

American teenagers, abuse and trash-talking killed online chat and team-work

Opinion - PSU examines why people don't use headsets as much anymore in the online servers of Xbox 360 and PS3. (Microsoft, PS3, Sony Computer Entertainment, Xbox 360)

mi_titan27  +   938d ago
one of the reasons i dropped xbox live
TheFallenAngel  +   938d ago
Its the same on psn. Not as bad but pretty bad.
Cam977  +   938d ago
No it isn't. The people with mics bought their mic optionally; thus, one would assume it was purchased for use with friends. I rarely come across people calling me abusive words, infact, the last time I played BF3 most of my team's squads had small groups of friends maturely talking with one-another.
sergons  +   938d ago
My advice,never post on n4g anything bad about ps3,sony(even if it's true)or u will be attacked by sony fanboys.
TheFallenAngel  +   938d ago
@ Sergon
But I am a PS fanboy. Not a blind fanboy like others. I also enjoy other consoles but nothing like a PS3.
shoddy  +   938d ago
I don't see why some guy brag about everyone have mic on xlive.
It's just to have more guys to mute.
StrongMan  +   938d ago
Same here.
NeverEnding1989   938d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(2)
TacoTaru  +   938d ago
Too bad that instead of "reporting" someone we aren't given the option of pressing a button that would send a current to the offending headset strong enough to fry the electronics.
Reborn  +   938d ago
"Party chat means that for me, there is zero trash talk or abuse on Xbox Live."

That's hardly relevant. It happens, it happens on every platform. There is plenty of users with a mic on PS3. But most probably mute everyone, except the players their in a party with/those with no mics.
Mathew9R   938d ago | Spam
TuxedoMoon  +   938d ago
I mostly experiences a lot of garbage on consoles more so than PC. The only PC game I can think of that I saw drama and trash talk a few times was Team Fortress 2...but even that's somewhat rare. I do think that mics cause problems. When you type, you have time to think because you write out what you want to say, where as speaking is almost instant...and sometimes things can slip, which causes problems.

Gaming over the years and the community has gotten increasingly more aggressive and chaotic.
#6 (Edited 938d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Wizziokid  +   938d ago
I'm British and I wouldn't say it's just 'American teens' British people can be the same, hell any English-speaking person can be the same,I've played with British, French and Americans who have acted like total douche bags.

it really does put me off using a mic in multiplayer unless I'm playing with friends. but I've also met some pretty awesome people on xbl and psn.
cyril sneer  +   938d ago
Yeah it mainly seems to be chavs that talk shit from the uk.
csreynolds  +   937d ago
This exactly. Anyone of any nationality can be an utter w***er over a mic whilst playing online, irrespective of nationality or age.

It's a sad thing; I bought a mic to communicate with teammates and talk with my friends whilst playing games. Now, I find I use it less because douchebags are in abundance nowadays - especially on CoD. I'm not hating on the game, but a large proportion of the series' community consists of foul-mouthed rage junkies.
#7.2 (Edited 937d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
violents  +   938d ago
I've heard plenty of trash talk from people who arent american or teenagers. People are just douchebags in general. Stick to playing with friends or get to know the mute button for those above average jerks. You can still talk to all the people that dont trash talk and would like to communicate with team members.
Roper316  +   938d ago
I will only play co-op online and noone usually does any trash talking because we are all on the same team trying to accomplish the samething.

loud mouth idiots & cheaters are why I don't play any of the competitive MP games.
VonBraunschweigg  +   938d ago
I still play MAG a few nights a week, in a clan. Lots of talking, calling out positions, plan our attack. Should some outsider join the squad and start trashtalking, we vote him out quickly. Use the mic correct and a decent KDR? Welcome to the clan.
Same with Starhawk, also a game with a lot of strategy needed to win. Play with a clan, tactics go up and no trashtalking kids.
blue_flowers  +   938d ago
im american and can vouch were all a bunch of a**holes.
JakemanPS31994  +   938d ago
Maybe you are but some of us actually try to be decent human beings... I'm not a fan of this generalizations that American teenagers are group causing the problems! That's like saying all Muslims are hate-filled terrorists. People need to stop assuming. /rant over ^_^
Dms2012  +   938d ago
But most hate filled terrorists are Muslims, zing! Really, just a joke.
jjb1981  +   938d ago
I mostly use my headset when I'm trying to play quietly. It's annoying when your own teammates are calling you racist names because you didn't wipe out an enemy team by yourself when playing headquarters. It's ridiculous. Sometimes there's fun conversations with joking and laughing then one super douchebag comes along and ruins it and then rage quits. I know I should mute him but I shouldn't have to open the menu while I'm playing to mute him
#12 (Edited 938d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SP3333D-O  +   938d ago
Regardless of nationality, or age, for that matter, I don't want my gaming experience ruined by mp jerks. It's a shame because mp could be so much more enjoyable than it typically is.
edonus   938d ago | Spam
Lacarious  +   938d ago
duh.... thanks captain obvious... this has been going on since the inception of voice chat during video games.

and blaming "american" teenagers is str8 retarded.... all teenagers of all countries are at fault.

putting "american teenagers" in the title is about as childish as those that rage on chat.
#15 (Edited 938d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
contradictory  +   938d ago
i never use voice chat
but then again i never play CoD or Battlefield...
not the kind of games i'd really enjoy all that much
same with MMORPG's
Sgt_Slaughter  +   938d ago
There are a lot of Americans that do it, but don't try to generalize EVERYONE online as snobby, immature and rude Americans. This is why it sucks being from the US nowadays...
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   938d ago
I mostly get abuse from Americans when I play online, they seem ultra competitive and hate losing. I also have a few American friends I play with who are really nice though. There's just a lot more idiots in the world and you tend to hear from them a lot more than the nice guys.
#17.1 (Edited 938d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MadMax  +   938d ago
Gets real old hearing the same mindless, ebonic, trash talking, clown all the time. I just mute all the crunk jumpers.
#18 (Edited 938d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TXIDarkAvenger  +   938d ago
Doesn't matter, mic or no mic. People still trash talk online...Its come to a point where your not trash talking enemies but trash talking your own teammates.
medman  +   938d ago
Personally, I prefer a great single player game to any online component any day. I don't want the quality of my experience determined by fake internet only muscle tommy toughguys and billy badasses online, cheaters, glitchers, or lag on a server. No thank you. Not to mention I don't have ten hours a day to devote to leveling up just so I can earn enough credit to get the gear I should have access to from the get go. I enjoy playing a half hour at a time, at my own pace. That becomes impossible if you want to survive in multiplayer because if you don't spend a lot of time grinding away, you're going to be at a disadvantage to all those who have nothing but time on their hands to earn every possible piece of gear or attachment the game has to offer and learn every hidden area on the maps. Once again, no thanks.
#20 (Edited 938d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
vork77  +   938d ago
teenagers dont kill it try 7 year olds on the mic playing cod
Max-Zorin  +   938d ago
It's not just Americans. There are other nationalities that are just as terrible.

GamesBeat: Chesh reinvents chess every time you play

14m ago - Chesh hearkens back to those moments when you first learn the rules of games like Chess, when you... | iPhone

Review: Etrian Mystery Dungeon (DarkZero)

14m ago - Samuel Howitt: "Etrian Odyssey is an RPG series that’s light on the story and heavy on the dungeo... | 3DS

MoreConsole takes on Destiny: The Taken King

Now - MoreConsole's rag-tag band of guardians finally make it to the Oryx's ship...but can they make it out alive? | Promoted post

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine N64 Review

51m ago - Think you know all of the best games on the N64? Think again. Indiana Jones and the Infernal Mach... | Retro

PlayStation VR Conversations: Reload Studios

51m ago - Find out below how World War Toons is enhanced by being on PlayStation VR, and what Reload Studio... | PS4

The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle Continues on Kickstarter

51m ago - Serena Nelson writes: "All right. I'll admit it. I haven't played the first episode of The Advent... | PC