Submitted by Bil 484d ago | news

Here comes Ouya, the $99 gaming console

cnn.com: Julie Uhrman needed $950,000 from Kickstarter in less than a month to make her dream of an affordable, free-to-play gaming console a reality. She got it in eight hours and nearly $8 million more after that. And so was born Ouya, a $99 console that's shaped like and is just a hair bigger than a Rubik's Cube. It runs on Google's Android operating system and requires developers to offer a version of their games for free. (Tech)

aceitman  +   484d ago
the thing I don't like is they say 99$ for the console but u need to spend 50$ for a controller, so they should say 150$ for it and not 99$ , y buy a console when u cant play it without a controller.
porkChop  +   484d ago
Yeah it's really false advertising. That "$99" console isn't ready to play out of the box.
KelvinGeovanny  +   484d ago
What the %$&^ are you both talking about the console includes one controller for $99
bunt-custardly  +   484d ago
Don't talk shit guys without researching your claims.

Product Features

Includes: 1 OUYA wireless controller/Case:
Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic
CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM
Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
Storage: 8GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: One USB 2.0 port, One Micro USB port
Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)
#1.2 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Detoxx  +   484d ago
Porkchop and you just went full retard, never go full retard
forcefullpower  +   484d ago
Just buy this and use a PS3 controller.

porkChop  +   484d ago
"I remember growing up, playing with my sister ... I feel like we've lost that. I want to bring back the world of TV gaming."

It's almost as if the 360, Wii, and PS3 haven't sold roughly 250m units combined. You can't "bring back the world of TV gaming" if it never even left. It's still there and it's bigger than ever.

Anyway, for me personally, the Ouya is a waste of money for gaming. I already have an Android phone and tablet that are both just as powerful as the Ouya, and they let me play all the Android games I want. The only use I'd have for it is that for $99 it's a really good media player for Netflix, Youtube, etc. as my Tablet doesn't have an HDMI-out. But since it doesn't include the controller ($50) for that price, I'll just spend the $150 on a much better media hub.
joab777  +   484d ago
I thought this at first but for $99, i am gonna grab one for my nephew and maybe one for my neices. It hooks to their tv's and its cheaper than most tablets by alot. It will make any tv a smart tv. Its small and can be taken places. Also, i believe that if the base is large, many developers will make games for it. And they will be the best versions. Hell, its completely open to emulation software...oh and its $99.

Originally, i felt like u did. But my brother just bought some leap pad for my nephew. It was $125 and games r $25 and its nothing as niceas this. The more i think about it, the more brilliant it is. I could easily see it selling well at this pricepoint and releasing more powerful ones. Just wish i had thought of it first. She is gonna be a millionaire. Great job.
Yodagamer  +   484d ago
Where in the world did this "no controller included" come from. I'm sure knowing both this site and the internet there would have been millions are articles saying "ouya Doomeddddddd" if it were true.
Tiqila  +   484d ago
ouya isnt popular enough to be dooomed yet ;)
Oh_Yeah  +   484d ago
Ouya isn't a waste of money if you know what XBMC is.. Which will be available on the Ouya. Let me explain...XBMC can replace your cable box, your netflix, the need to rent movies...You can stream tv from all over the world including premium channels like hbo, nfl network, whatever your favorite TV shows are. And you'll be able to watch any movie...the latest movies as they come out...no subscription fees. If anything I'd say that saves you a lot of money. https://www.youtube.com/wat...
#2.3 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
MasterCornholio  +   484d ago
And it pretty much kills people thinking about using the 720 as a cable box unless they want to play real games.

I'm thinking about getting one so I can play all my ROMs on any TV that I want. The console is extremely portable so I can take it anywhere with me.

Motorola RAZR i
#2.3.1 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report
porkChop  +   484d ago
Did you not read my comment? I said it was good as a media hub. And yes I know what XBMC is as I have it on my PC.
Darth Stewie  +   484d ago
Ouya will fail because it doesn't have this mans support

nah It seems like a cool alternative for gamers.

Related image(s)
joab777  +   484d ago
Lol. This may be thd beginning of something amazing actually. It will be all about getting the word out. But ppl drop all this money on phones and tablets...i could see millions dropping $100 on this.
ziggurcat  +   484d ago
... and there goes ouya, the failed gaming console.
Bathyj  +   484d ago
Ok, I havent been following this thing. I think I know why now.

Please, I'm not trolling it, (I know, people are always trolling when they say theyre not trolling.)
I just want to make sure I got all this straight.

Its android based but doesnt play the games in the Google store.

Its got the same processor as my phone, but less RAM.

Someone had to point out it needs an Ethernet and USB port.

The games need to be specifically designed for it and likely wont end up on any other consoles so devs really need to be sure they want to make this game.

You wont see any games on it that are on other consoles. The same franchises maybe, but they will be Ouya versions and will need to run through a Cloud service if they are console quality games and not simple phone games.

The games will either be free or have demos.

Devs will either have to make money by ads in the games, or by making a game say, like a shooter with a pistol, but then if you want a shotty you have to buy one.

I'm sorry, I know I'm sounding really negative, but the console sounds really unappealing to me. I can see a real problem with 3rd party support, which I assume is their olnly party unless they have bought inhouse studios.

I cant see why any devs would want to go to the effort of making games on this, and even if they did, I cant see why I would want to play them.

The whole thing sounds like someone was just drinking with mates and said, dude, what if we made our own console, and thanks to Kickstarter they did.

Oh well, good luck to them, they'll need it, as does everyone and they certainly are brave. We'll see how it turns out.
Yodagamer  +   484d ago
I might get it down the line, but knowing how open the console is to open source programs i'm more than sure it will see the google play store on it and since it's a tegra processor most of the games will work fine. The free to play requirement is only for a little while from my understanding. They recently did a program for devs to apply for some funding with that extra kickstarter money, so i don't think they'll have too many problems with exclusives for the first year or so.
#5.1 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
the worst  +   484d ago
ill take a ps4 thank you
#6 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
darx  +   484d ago
I'll take both
bunt-custardly  +   484d ago
I don't think OUYA is squarely aimed at people who visit sites such as this one.
FamilyGuy  +   484d ago
Yeah but when will it be advertised to people that DON'T visit sites like this one?

I haven't heard about it anywhere else.
bunt-custardly  +   484d ago
CNN isn't a gaming site, so it's a start.

To reiterate my earlier point. I understand the OUYA was designed with gamers in mind who supported the KS campaign. But be honest, will gamers eagerly awaiting a PS4 and Xbox 8 be really interested in one of these, even though it's only $99? I doubt it.

XBLA XBLIG has been offering free demos for time now, so the OUYA's try before you buy is nothing new. Its success lies firmly with its software, especially if it gets some decent exclusives. Will these be enough to sway the core console crowd? Probably not imo.
darx  +   484d ago
I am eagerly waiting for the PS4 but I will also be getting one of these.
delboy  +   484d ago
We'll have to wait and see how it goes.
My only disappointment is that they choose tegra 3 instead of tegra 4,or a customized and more powerful gpu.
dangerousjo33  +   484d ago
so what your really saying is that the ouya is slaping the next gen nintendo wiiu around right now lol
Xer0_SiN  +   484d ago
hey. even if it fails worst than the wii u. atleast this chick suckered 8 million+ dollars from a few unfortunate souls LOL. so in the end, i guess she really got what she wanted.
dangerousjo33  +   484d ago
lol true
R_aVe_N  +   484d ago
Lol sorry this thing looks like my ashtray XD. It is very ugly and not really suited for the living room. I guess it will be good for the younger kids though. Its a shame they didn't make it to where it would play already made games. Kinda bad that dev's have to remake games to work on it. They better hope this sells like gang buster or they are not going to get enough support from the development crowd.
tachy0n  +   484d ago
OMGZZZZ!!!

PS4 AND XBOX720 ARE DOMMMMZZZZZZZZZ EVERYTHING IS DOOMMZZZZ!!!

/S
Hozi  +   484d ago
"An Ethernet port was added when some backers outside the United States said they had no access to Wi-Fi, and a USB port was added for the "hardest of the hardcore" players who will want to store more games than the console can handle."

I can't believe they were about to release this console without the ability to connect a bigger HDD. lol.
Jyndal  +   484d ago
This system is going to be awesome. My brother-in-law has cerebral palsy, and as such, his fine motor skills are almost non-existent. He loves playing video games (being confined to a wheelchair, he doesn't get out much), but one of the problems he has is loading a disc into a tray.
This OUYA doesn't have any discs to deal with. All he'll have to do is press the power button and it's game on. Also, being that many of the more well known game companies (Capcom, Squaresoft, Ubisoft) are already on board with making titles for it, I believe this system will end up with an impressive library of titles within the next year or so.
For $99, I don't see how it can go wrong.
Tiqila  +   484d ago
you know that there is a huge library of xbla and psn titles you can just as easily download and play without having to change discs?
NeoTribe  +   484d ago
Yeah..... No thank you, theres real gaming systems on the way.
Tiqila  +   484d ago
exactly
ElementX  +   484d ago
As if anybody honestly wants to play Android games on their TV. Sure the games may look nice on a small screen but on a 46" tv they will look like garbage. Furthermore, you'll have to wade through so much crap to find any decent titles. Trial games will bug you with popups for purchases and the games will nickle and dime you like FB games do.
#16 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
SlyFamous02  +   484d ago
Yip, and gaming is all about graphics, isnt it.
ElementX  +   484d ago
Sounds like a backer got upset. No, I play some older PC games with pixelated graphics and some modern ones designed to look retro. I'm just saying that if somebody tries to play a game designed for a small screen on a large screen it will be pretty messed up.
SlyFamous02  +   484d ago
I love my PS3 and have already pre-ordered the ps4, but mark my words when I say this, this console will outsell all three the other consoles. Dont get me wrong, this will never compete with Sony and to a lesser extent MS as far as Core gaming goes and will most probably compete with mobile game but as a gaming console goes its sales will go through the roof simply because there are 7 billion people on this planet and half of them cant afford a PS or Wii or xbox or tablets and this will be a great alternative. Personally I hope this very very well.
Mecca4  +   484d ago
I think the names is funny, hey guys wanna drink? Ouya for sure
Mecca4  +   484d ago
Reminds me of sodom is sf alpha, ouya, ouya, ouya, lol
bluetoto  +   484d ago
These comments have confirmed what I've thought for a while now, n4g isn't for gamers, it's for blowhards that play games for reasons unknown to me.

What gamer wants a new system to fail? what gamer isn't at least interested in what software it might get, but then you would have to care about games and not the hardware playing it.

nope, these same people want anything that doesn't include the big 3 to fail, including the upcoming steambox, as if it will hurt their favorite machine or something. even if it only has 3 or 4 games that you like it could prove it's worth, hell it can be used as a cheap box in another room without paying extra to use it.

it can do nothing but add some needed diversity to gaming, so why the hate? You can spend 50 bucks on ps+/live and $60 for rehashed games but a new system for $99 is a complete waste?

wtf?!
#20 (Edited 484d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Joe Montana Football 16 Teased

7m ago - EA has had a lock on football games with their Madden series the past ten years since they purcha... | Culture

Mendel's Farm Beta Sign-Up - Fun Mix Of Real Genetic Theory & Fire Breathing Chickens

8m ago - Mendel’s Farm is a quirky resource management game which uses real life genetics to create a rang... | PC

Playable titles at Eurogamer announced

8m ago - Taken from IM PLAYIN: We here at IM PLAYIN are fully preparing for Eurogamer…We’ve got our pas... | Industry

Mega Metagross Joins Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire

9m ago - Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will feature a Mega Evolution for Metagross, the latest iss... | 3DS

Start Making Games for the PS4